GDT: NJ Devils @ Blue Jackets - 7pm

Colin226

yea you pinch in situations where you maybe shouldn't, you force passes that you shouldn't, you try carry the puck..ect that is what was happening, those are things you do when you are down. There weren't very many bad defensive breakdowns, 4 of the 5 goals were on marty, and there was at least 1 shot where he got beat glove side badly but got bailed out by the post. The defense wasn't its best but it was still pretty good.

You're right that Brodeur wasn't good. I'm not trying to say the defence led to every goal. I just think the whole team was sloppy. As someone else said, if Sestito dumps the puck in at the end, we don't get hemmed in (at least on the play). And Gelinas' pinched in at the beginning of the third leading to a goal when the game is TIED. You can't blame every mistake the team makes on the fact that goalie is having an off night. But again I absolutely agree with you that Brodeur was bad and was fighting the puck all night.

Edited by devils102

Hopefully Brunner can continue this.  He was great tonight.  Ryder continues to stay hot.  And Zajac with a goal tonight.  Also Henrique got an assist tonight.  A lot of our whipping boys contributed tonight.

I'm glad I fell asleep and missed everything after the first. What a fvcking disaster. At least the Rags didn't pick up points on us. Only thing positive tonight really.

At least they have their first round pick.  Thankfully, it's a weak draft this year.

I made the mistake of getting my hopes up that the Devils would salvage a point despite Brodeur's poor game after Brunner got his 2nd. I figured that him actually getting 2 goals meant that the Devils were going to have luck on their side.

Except it seems as if Brunner scores every one of his goals in losses :P

Ok.

I didn't see the game due to a flight to California.

What a LOVELY surprise..although it's not a surprise because this team hasn't finished a game since Debour was coach so without even seeing the game I'm going to blame him and also his decision to start Brodeur.

Please fire this guy.

The one disconcerting thing about this game, other than Brodeur throwing up all over himself (which was inevitable), and some of the defensive mistakes (which were unusual but again, Gelinas isn't going to make anyone forget about Scott Stevens in his own zone), is that Jagr's had a few not great games in a row now.  The Devils really have to start thinking about limiting his ice time more.

I love the way this team plays under Deboer.  I hate his lineup decisions though.  And the Devils have issues with hanging onto leads.  I know blowing leads sucks and all, but I actually think too much is made of it.  One of the worst 3rd period teams last year made it to the SCF.  Granted, their inability to hold a 3rd period lead ultimately cost them the Cup in game 6 last year.  Yes I am talking about the Bruins.  They were terrible at holding leads last year, and were awful in 3rd periods.

His strong points outweigh his negative points overall.  Ultimately, the most important positive point is that his players believe in his system, and play hard for him.  You can't ask for much more from your coach.

The next guy is gonna be just as deferential to Brodeur as DeBoer is.

What's really odd about DeBoer being deferential to Brodeur is that he really has no reason to be.  I could almost understand if DeBoer had been here several years, and had seen Marty in his prime, and had built up a long-time kinship and loyalty to him.  But all DeBoer's worked with is the Marty of 2011-12 and beyond, and save for the 50-game stretch of good play in 2011-12 and the occasional limited hot streaks, Marty has been pretty bad...there's just no nice way to put it.  What does Pete think, that Marty has another prolonged stretch of very good goaltending in him?  Even if Marty is only technically a year-an-a-half removed from his '11-'12 run, it's not like he was just-turned-30 then and is only 31 now.  There is absolutely NO guarantee that Marty will ever be consistently good anymore, and if Pete is doing his homework and paying attention, he'll see that this started in 2010-11, so it's not like this is anything new.  This is now a multi-season sample, where for over half of it, Marty has been one of the worst puck-stoppers in the league.  Like I've pointed out, yes, he also has had extended stretches of terrific play in 2010-11 and 2011-12, but does Pete honestly believe that Marty, at 41 and with more miles on his odometer than any NHL goalie ever, will do it again?  And is it really necessary to try to find out at the expense of the guy that cost the Devils a first-round pick and who is indisputably the BETTER player?!

What's doubly aggravating about this is that the Devils witnessed first-hand, with Messier, exactly what can happen when a faded great's exit is not handled correctly.  Marty is on the last year of a lifetime achievement deal that everyone involved knew he wouldn't live up to from a value standpoint, but everyone also thought he deserved simply because of all he had given to the Devils throughout his career.  The Devils brought in someone not only better at this stage of Marty's career, but a guy who clearly is supposed to figure into the Devils' long-term plans, possibly for a decade if he sticks around.  Why the hell has Marty started 18 games and Cory 14?  And why the hell isn't DeBoer grilled on this point, because I for one want to hear the answer.  If he doesn't trust Cory for whatever the reasons, how the hell can he trust Marty?  Marty put up an .871 save% in his first five games (1-2-2 record), and now has an .864 save% in his last seven (2-5-0 record).  Cory hasn't had a stretch of futility anywhere NEAR as bad as these, but apparently two meh starts is enough for Cory to lose starts in Peteyland.

I can handle the team not making the playoffs if they're out there losing with their best, and we all knew this team had question marks coming in, but right now it feels like DeBoer is almost willing to punt a season in deference to Marty, and I don't get it one bit.  And I don't blame Marty one bit for this.  DeBoer is the coach.  DeBoer has given a player who is younger and better, and is playing like it.  It's on DeBoer to do the right thing, and play the friggin' guy who gives him and his team the BEST fvckING CHANCE TO WIN THE DAMNED GAME!  God-damn...   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Tri was getting at the whole deferential to Marty thing is more on Lou/Marty.  Or at least it seem as if they always control his playing time over the coach.  Plus at this point with Pete's job on the line he doesn't want to risk ticking off the franchise icon in Marty anyway.

But Pete's also the one who put the fourth line on the ice in the final two minutes of a tie division game, also the one who failed to call timeout last night at any point during Columbus' run and this team has blown leads consistently under Pete.

I feel the same as everyone, but really Pete and Lou's absolute stubbornness to just stick with what they believe, that it makes sense or not and STICKING to it no matter the situation is and wtv the results are is beyond frustrating when you clearly see as a nobody sitting in his living room that it's OBVIOUSLY not the right decisions and then you're proven right. 

I don't want Pete fired, what i hate about him seems to be SO SIMPLE to fix. 

Also i dont think that the problem is about Brodeur's situation. It sticks out more now because of the games he's losing but he's doing it all over the roster its not a goalie only thing. He's doing it all year long sitting rookies for fvck all and playing vets like they never make mistakes. Thats the whole problem it's not about Lou/Marty and wtv. And we heard the same thing in Florida before he comes in. Seems to be extremely frustrating to be playing under vets with DeBoer.

on a side note about the game... it fvcking sucks when a guy scores 2 and we dont win (without even getting a damn point), i remember Zid (a DMAN) scoring 2 last season and we lost too. 

Edited by SterioDesign

on a side note about the game... it fvcking sucks when a guy scores 2 and we dont win (without even getting a damn point), i remember Zid (a DMAN) scoring 2 last season and we lost too. 

It's actually worse when the Devils lose a game where they scored 3+.  They're now 9-2-3 in such games.  That's a .750 point% in those games...Devils probably need to be over .800.  Guess who was in net for the two regulation losses and two of the charity-point losses. 

BTW Marty has given up 3+ goals in 10 out of 18 starts (total of 35 goals in those starts, 4 or more allowed in four of those games).  Schneider has given up 3 in 6 out of 16 starts (he has yet to allow four in a game).  Not piling on Marty, just wondering what it's going to take before the Devils see this and start making decisions accordingly.

Tri was getting at the whole deferential to Marty thing is more on Lou/Marty.  Or at least it seem as if they always control his playing time over the coach.  Plus at this point with Pete's job on the line he doesn't want to risk ticking off the franchise icon in Marty anyway.

If this is the case (and who knows if it is?), then I think Pete has to ask Lou, "Are we trying to win hockey games here?  Or is this a victory lap for a player, who, let's face it, is going to cost us wins if I keep playing him?"

I just find it hard to believe that Lou would dictate that Marty continue to get more playing time at the expense of everything and everyone else.  Pete WAS ready to go with Cory earlier this season...hopefully he is now.  I don't know what more he could possibly need to see.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976