GDT New Jersey Devils vs. The Isles 7pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Adam Henrique has been generating absolutely NOTHING for the entire year, he has been fortunate with many opportunistic goals but he has to step his game up. Last year he was a forecheck machine this year he is complacent.

DOesn't he have pretty much the exact same shot rate this year? And not playing between two elite wingers will bring down your assist #'s when you're not a great playmaker like he's not. He's a winger unfortunately. 

Our centermen have all sucked recently. Zajac is on a $50 mill contract and played like sh!t yet again (his assist was fortunate)

@TGfireandice: DeBoer said Zajac tried to play through a "flu virus" and was "throwing up all night."

. Oh knock it the fvck off. I'm frustrated, and I'm venting. I fvcking hate it when people take every little fvcking thing literally.

Last night was one of those nights for sure...I was plenty pissed myself.  It's a hard team to embrace...they've been ugly to watch for a while now and they can't score, which has a way of wearing patience thin. 

The most major concern for me at this point is the .897 team save% (and empty-netters are not factored into that stat...that is based on shots faced by live goalies).  There's no nice way to put it...that is terrible in this day and age.  Hedberg is at .886, Marty is at .905.  Can I realistically expect either goalie to do much better than that for the rest of the season?  Marty has put up a .9055 save% since the start of the '10-'11 season...yes, we all know how bad the '10-'11 season was, and who knows, maybe Marty has an extended stretch or two of .915-or-better kind of goaltending left in him...but I can't possibly expect that at this point.

Not trying to put this 7-11-6 valley all on Marty and Hedberg, but what it shows is that expecting either guy to stand on his head and somehow overcome the rest of the team's deficiencies is just way too much to ask.  That tandem might still have a servicable season left in them, but everything else has to be in place for that to happen.  Clearly right now, that's not the case. 

If I'm Lou, I definitely think about next season...the Devils need Kovy to have any real chance at anything, and there's simply too many guys who aren't getting it done offensively.  I know some will point to last season and say that it's basically the same team, but it's not like the goalies were 29 and 28 years old last season, and the NHL feels like a year-to-year league now more than ever.  Right now it's really hard to make a case for this being the Devils' year.  This may sound like blasphemy, but I wonder what kind of a market there is for Elias...if there was a team out there that was willing to give up something for him, If I'm Lou I at least listen.  And it's not like the Devils couldn't bring him back next season if they really wanted to, and if Elias was open to the idea.  Just thinking aloud...at this point I'm in favor of anything that might make the Devils a better team in '13-'14. 

i'll say it again willing to get some "ah give me a fvcking break" or "let it go".

but again... last year Deboer and the staff put a C on a guy who they called the "heart and soul" of the team, he was also part of every part of the game that made us successful in a long run.

and he's gone and Lou didnt replace ANY parts of what he was bringing either production wise or intangible wise... then slapped the C on a useless dman who should get scratch on most night.

so don't call me out on this cause it's absolutely true and anyone denying it is simply in denial now. The stats or wtv what you want to look at will agree with it. Its not "no big deal" to lose your "heart and soul" coaches doesnt throw those names around cause it sounds cute, it was legit.

Man i wish we could go back to the beginning of the season it was looking like it was going to be an awsome year idk wtf happened. .. Theres still alot of hockey left but after the past three or four games i think were just all so damn disappointed here some of us are throwing in the towel early it seems. We all know this team is capable of much better then what theyve been giving.

i'll say it again willing to get some "ah give me a fvcking break" or "let it go".

but again... last year Deboer and the staff put a C on a guy who they called the "heart and soul" of the team, he was also part of every part of the game that made us successful in a long run.

and he's gone and Lou didnt replace ANY parts of what he was bringing either production wise or intangible wise... then slapped the C on a useless dman who should get scratch on most night.

so don't call me out on this cause it's absolutely true and anyone denying it is simply in denial now. The stats or wtv what you want to look at will agree with it. Its not "no big deal" to lose your "heart and soul" coaches doesnt throw those names around cause it sounds cute, it was legit.

OK, I'll say it:

LET

IT

GO!

You've beaten this dead horse to the point where there is absolutely nothing left to beat.  Most Devils fans didn't think it was going to be business as usual after Parise left...a lot of us knew it was going to hurt.  But life goes on.  I know, you think Lou should've just been able to replace Parise or parts of Parise's skillsets in the course of one off-season.  Clearly this going to take him some time.  Are the Devils better off right now?  No, but for some reason you seem to think you're the only one who was able to see this...like I said, I think almost to a fan we all knew losing Parise was going to hurt.  Will the Devils be better off in the future?  Probably, based on the absurdity of Parise's contract. 

Anyway, seriously, stop acting like you're being so profound here.  YES, THE DEVILS WERE HURT BY THE LOSS OF PARISE FOR 2013.  And you're not the only one to see it.  Lamenting it over and over and OVER again as annoyingly as possible won't change that fact either. 

Can we move on now, and start wondering how the Devils turn this season around with the players that they DO have? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Man i wish we could go back to the beginning of the season it was looking like it was going to be an awsome year idk wtf happened. .. Theres still alot of hockey left but after the past three or four games i think were just all so damn disappointed here some of us are throwing in the towel early it seems. We all know this team is capable of much better then what theyve been giving.

I wouldn't say throwing in the towel, but when you step back and analyze what we've seen, I think Lou and Co. have to keep an open mind.  Losing Kovy clearly hurt, especially for a team that has enough trouble scoring as it is.  I always try to remain optimistic, but the Devils have serious trouble putting pucks in the net and keeping them out of their own net.  Their one saving grace as a team has been their ability to keep opposing shot totals down.  I just don't know how I can parlay that into "this team has a great chance to get it going".

OK, I'll say it:

LET

IT

GO!

You've beaten this dead horse to the point where there is absolutely nothing left to beat.  Most Devils fans didn't think it was going to be business as usual after Parise left...a lot of us knew it was going to hurt.  But life goes on.  I know, you think Lou should've just been able to replace Parise or parts of Parise's skillsets in the course of one off-season.  Clearly this going to take him some time.  Are the Devils better off right now?  No, but for some reason you seem to think you're the only one who was able to see this...like I said, I think almost to a fan we all knew losing Parise was going to hurt.  Will the Devils be better off in the future?  Probably, based on the absurdity of Parise's contract. 

Anyway, seriously, stop acting like you're being so profound here.  YES, THE DEVILS WERE HURT BY THE LOSS OF PARISE FOR 2013.  And you're not the only one to see it.  Lamenting it over and over and OVER again as annoyingly as possible won't change that fact either. 

Can we move on now, and start wondering how the Devils turn this season around with the players that they DO have? 

no i don't think im the only one and well im just pointing it out cause there's still people saying it was no big deal and put the blame on henrique and kovy for not being good enough and the PP and the SO and everything while we're missing Zach which for all of those things or players Zach was a big part of its/their success. and are just in denial or keep saying were the same team as last year so everything should be alright. Thats all.

Edited by SterioDesign

Not being able to score goals should not shock anyone because Lou didn't really do anything to address the loss of Parise. Sure, D'Agostini and Loktianov are nice players, but they arent locks to produce consistently like Parise was. Honestly, if someone said we were in 7th with 12-ish games left, I would be thrilled. We control our own destiny but the road ahead is tough.  

However, if we go 4-8 down the stretch and pick in the top 10 I wont be upset considering we have to forfeit our first next year

Not being able to score goals should not shock anyone because Lou didn't really do anything to address the loss of Parise. Sure, D'Agostini and Loktianov are nice players, but they arent locks to produce consistently like Parise was. Honestly, if someone said we were in 7th with 12-ish games left, I would be thrilled. We control our own destiny but the road ahead is tough.  

However, if we go 4-8 down the stretch and pick in the top 10 I wont be upset considering we have to forfeit our first next year

I don't think anyone though Zajac would have just 5 goals to this point...that is shocking.  I also think Lou was probably expecting more goals out of Elias and Kovy, hoping Clarkson could have another year approaching last season, that Henrique could also pick up some of the slack, etc.  I said it on another thread, but I think Lou was looking to replace some of the scoring that was lost with Parise from within, in the aggregate, probably starting with Zajac (since he played in just 15 games last season, he's a guy Lou probably said, "Well, I didn't have him last season, so there's some scoring we'll get this season").  As it turns out, it's from an out-of-nowhere outsider (Loktionov) who has helped (a little bit) offset some of the lost Parise goals, as almost everyone else that Lou was probably hoping could pick up the slack really hasn't.  Clarkson did early on. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think anyone though Zajac would have just 5 goals to this point...that is shocking.  I also think Lou was probably expecting more goals out of Elias and Kovy, hoping Clarkson could have another year approaching last season, that Henrique could also pick up some of the slack, etc.  I said it on another thread, but I think Lou was looking to replace some of the scoring that was lost with Parise from within, in the aggregate, probably starting with Zajac (since he played in just 15 games last season, he's a guy Lou probably said, "Well, I didn't have him last season, so there's some scoring we'll get this season").  As it turns out, it's a from out-of-nowhere outsider (Loktionov) who has helped (a little bit) offset some of the lost Parise goals, as almost everyone else that Lou was probably hoping could pick up the slack really hasn't.  Clarkson did early on. 

Yeah that's true and Kovalchuk, Zajac and Clarkson (the last 20 games) have been disappointments so far. 

Anyone else getting sick of Clarkson? He is an offensive black hole when he isn't scoring and his bitching to the refs schtick is getting old. I think Deboer should put him on the "third" line because its clear he's dragging down Elias and Zajac. 

I don't think anyone though Zajac would have just 5 goals to this point...that is shocking.  I also think Lou was probably expecting more goals out of Elias and Kovy, hoping Clarkson could have another year approaching last season, that Henrique could also pick up some of the slack, etc.  I said it on another thread, but I think Lou was looking to replace some of the scoring that was lost with Parise from within, in the aggregate, probably starting with Zajac (since he played in just 15 games last season, he's a guy Lou probably said, "Well, I didn't have him last season, so there's some scoring we'll get this season").  As it turns out, it's a from out-of-nowhere outsider (Loktionov) who has helped (a little bit) offset some of the lost Parise goals, as almost everyone else that Lou was probably hoping could pick up the slack really hasn't.  Clarkson did early on. 

I'd guess he was also expecting Butler to return to 2011 form. A lot of people get on him for that signing, but its one of those ones that would have been worshipped as a genius move if it paid off. 

Yeah that's true and Kovalchuk, Zajac and Clarkson (the last 20 games) have been disappointments so far.

Anyone else getting sick of Clarkson? He is an offensive black hole when he isn't scoring and his bitching to the refs schtick is getting old. I think Deboer should put him on the "third" line because its clear he's dragging down Elias and Zajac.

I'd rather see ANY of our bottom 6 on the 2nd line RW than Clarkson.

He isn't even trying to back check or hustle. It's like he acquired Kovy's old bad habits without ANYTHING resembling offensive prowess. He's a liability more than an asset.

I'd guess he was also expecting Butler to return to 2011 form. A lot of people get on him for that signing, but its one of those ones that would have been worshipped as a genius move if it paid off. 

One of those low-risk, possible medium-to-high reward deals that have occasionally worked out for Lou in the past.  Just didn't this time.

Zajac now has 20 goals in his last 133 GP (regular season).  That wouldn't be so concerning, expect that now he's getting paid good money (and will be for quite some time), and that the Devils really need him to score more often than he does.  If Zajac is going to be a 15-20 goal guy at best when the Devils really need him to be 20+ (preferably closer to 25), suffice it to say, that ain't good.   

One of those low-risk, possible medium-to-high reward deals that have occasionally worked out for Lou in the past.  Just didn't this time.

Zajac now has 20 goals in his last 133 GP (regular season).  That wouldn't be so concerning, expect that now he's getting paid good money (and will be for quite some time), and that the Devils really need him to score more often than he does.  If Zajac is going to be a 15-20 goal guy at best when the Devils really need him to be 20+ (preferably closer to 25), suffice it to say, that ain't good.   

It's the rare forward who maintains an 8% shooting percentage.  Zajac's shot decline would be worrisome but that is probably the effect of losing Parise off his line.  I also think it typically takes 18 months to fully recover from an Achilles injury.  I expect Zajac to be at 2 shots game, 10% shooting percentage, which over 80 games is around 16 goals.