NFL Off Season 2014 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only one game obviously and it's at least another year before he's draft eligible, but I wonder if this game opens some eyes about Winston so far as the NFL. His first game against a good team, and he really looks bad. Manziel could out up big games against SEC teams. Hell, even Tannehill did better against SEC teams.

Edit: well so much for that theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

He just won them the game man lol.

It's only one game obviously and it's at least another year before he's draft eligible, but I wonder if this game opens some eyes about Winston so far as the NFL. His first game against a good team, and he really looks bad. Manziel could out up big games against SEC teams. Hell, even Tannehill did better against SEC teams.

Edit: well so much for that theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NFL looking at 14 playoff teams going forward?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10260730/roger-goodell-noncommittal-future-cold-weather-super-bowls

Goodell said league owners are considering adding two additional wild-card teams to the playoff mix. "That is under serious consideration." he said. "One of the greatest things about the NFL, other than it's unscripted, is that every team starts the season with hope. On the final week of the regular season, 13 out of 16 division games had playoff implications. Now, can we make it better by trying to hone in with additional playoff teams? Can we make those [division] races even more competitive? That's compelling. It's something that the competition committee looked at last year and thinks there are some real benefits from a competitive standpoint." Goodell continued; "They're going to study some aspects of it. When would those games occur? How would the seeding be set? Would one team get a bye in each conference.. and then you'd have six games on the weekend. So would you have three on Saturday, and three on Sunday? Or do you get one on Friday and two on Saturday and two on Sunday and one on Monday? I think those are the kinds of things we want to evaluate."

..pretty wordy of an answer from RD, if it wasn't something they weren't going to do. Me thinks you may see this as early as next season. :ninja:

Edited by Beezer34

On one hand, you wonder if the NFL overdoes it sometimes.

On the other, it would be interesting to have the #1 seed be the only team that enjoys a bye week.  That REALLY gives finishing with the conference's best record a hell of a lot of value. 

Who did he turn down? I hope Cleveland

On one hand, you wonder if the NFL overdoes it sometimes.

On the other, it would be interesting to have the #1 seed be the only team that enjoys a bye week. That REALLY gives finishing with the conference's best record a hell of a lot of value.

The NFL exploits and chance to make a penny.

I think playing the extra week will be a HUGE advantage....to the #2 seed.....how many times do we see these top teams lock up their spots and take their foot off the gas and get SMOKED when they have to try to ramp it up again??? NEVER works.....you make these talented teams that make the 2 spot play through and you're gonna see a LOT more two seeds go deep into the playoffs.....

On one hand, you wonder if the NFL overdoes it sometimes.

On the other, it would be interesting to have the #1 seed be the only team that enjoys a bye week. That REALLY gives finishing with the conference's best record a hell of a lot of value.

The NFL, like the NHL, lives to fix sh!t that 'aint broke. The NFL has the best playoff system in sports, but of course, that isn't good enough for Ginger Moneybags McJerkoff. The NFL is going to eventually reach the point where they finally suffocate people if they keep fvcking with sh!t. If that dumb fvck ever gives a franchise to London, I may just lose my sh!t. Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand Goodell. I hate him more than Bettman.

The NFL, like the NHL, lives to fix sh!t that 'aint broke. The NFL has the best playoff system in sports, but of course, that isn't good enough for Ginger Moneybags McJerkoff. The NFL is going to eventually reach the point where they finally suffocate people if they keep fvcking with sh!t. If that dumb fvck ever gives a franchise to London, I may just lose my sh!t. Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand Goodell. I hate him more than Bettman.

There are a few faults. I don`t love the idea of an 8-7-1 team hosting playoff games against a 12-4 team, while a 10-6 team misses the playoffs. That sucks all around. Too many examples of divisions just being sh!tty. You don`t get 8-7-1 teams or 9-7 division winners because the division is so competitive. When you have a great division, you have a 13-3 team, a 12-4 team, a 10-6 team, and a 7-9 team. 

There are a few faults. I don`t love the idea of an 8-7-1 team hosting playoff games against a 12-4 team, while a 10-6 team misses the playoffs. That sucks all around. Too many examples of divisions just being sh!tty. You don`t get 8-7-1 teams or 9-7 division winners because the division is so competitive. When you have a great division, you have a 13-3 team, a 12-4 team, a 10-6 team, and a 7-9 team.

If they want to think of a way to have the teams strictly with the best records host playoff games, that's fine- a 7-9 team should never host a 10-6 team in a playoff game, ever. But I'm 120% against adding more teams to the playoffs. fvck. That. sh!t. The system to me is perfect with regard to the number of playoff teams. Don't water down what the playoffs mean by adding more teams. But alas- under the leadership of Captain Ginger VanDipsh!t- by 2020, we'll have 20 of 32 teams making the playoffs, franchises in London and Berlin, defensive backs will have to play with one hand tied behind their backs, and a sack will consist of ripping the flag off of the QB's waist.

If a 10-6 team goes to GB ( San Fran) San fran needs to win the division then. So what the saints went to Philly win your fking division then. Stop playing good at home and being medicore on the road win your division then. Philly won there's fair and square against Dallas. Saints couldn't beat st Louis and Carolina. That isn't Phillies issue its the saints.

Edited by CarterforPresident

If they want to think of a way to have the teams strictly with the best records host playoff games, that's fine- a 7-9 team should never host a 10-6 team in a playoff game, ever. But I'm 120% against adding more teams to the playoffs. fvck. That. sh!t. The system to me is perfect with regard to the number of playoff teams. Don't water down what the playoffs mean by adding more teams. But alas- under the leadership of Captain Ginger VanDipsh!t- by 2020, we'll have 20 of 32 teams making the playoffs, franchises in London and Berlin, defensive backs will have to play with one hand tied behind their backs, and a sack will consist of ripping the flag off of the QB's waist.

I respect that, especially coming from a Dolphins fan who has not seen many playoff games in the last decade. No one in the AFC deserved that last wild card spot. No need to add any more teams.

I respect that, especially coming from a Dolphins fan who has not seen many playoff games in the last decade. No one in the AFC deserved that last wild card spot. No need to add any more teams.

And the team that got it, San Diego, is one win away from shocking the world and booking a flight to New England for the AFC Championship game. Not gonna lie- that sh!t hurts.

I don`t love the idea of an 8-7-1 team hosting playoff games against a 12-4 team, while a 10-6 team misses the playoffs. That sucks all around. Too many examples of divisions just being sh!tty.

As a Jets fan.. the fact that Green Bay not only made the playoffs, but actually hosted a home game WITH 8 WINS (the same as my Jets) leaves me butt hurt, I'm not gonna lie. But I'd guess that I'm not alone among fans who's teams were 8-8. I don't know the answer in how to fix it, but there should be some rule where the threshold in winning a Division is at least 9 wins.

We all know the story of the 7-9 Seahawks winning the Division in 2010. Or the Broncos winning an AFC West Title with an 8-8 record.. the San Diego Chargers winning their Division @ 8-8 in 2008. It happens about once a year. A team will get in that everyone says didn't deserve to. Maybe it's time the NFL figure out a solution to THAT, instead of further rewarding mediocrity, by allowing nearly half the league to make the postseason.

You could just do away with divisions and go to a pure conference format.  Top 6 teams get in, end of story.  Everyone plays each team in their conference once (no more playing out-of-conference teams).  It all depends on how much you'd miss division rivalries.  It would seem silly to keep divisions alive if winning the division doesn't mean anything. 

Short answer:  not matter what system is used, there probably isn't one that will make everyone happy.  Me personally, I do like the division rivalries (there are some great ones), and playing four games out-of-conference per season, just because (facing some different teams).  Yeah, it sucks that crappy division winners sometimes get to host home games against teams that are clearly better, but as long as winning the division is supposed to have significance (even if the divison blows), then I don't see how division winners can have a "worthy" cutoff win total.    

EDIT:  just realized that playing every team in your conference once only leads to 15 games, and no way in hell the NFL is going to want LESS games on the schedule.  Maybe that 16th game could be the one out-of-conference game, and is based on the previous year's standings somehow.  Maybe the #1 overall AFC team plays the #1 overall NFC team based on the previous season (and so on, down the line)?   

Not saying I would want to see the above implemented...just brainstorming about how to get the top 6 teams (based on purely on record and tie-breakers) in. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The easy solution is just reseed 3-6 something similar to the NBA, division winners still get an automatic berth but not an automatic home game. I understand in theory why the NFL does it this way but with four team divisions and less than 40% of your games being division games perhaps winning the division shouldn't have a disproportionate weight.

You're probably correct since he's now about to be coach of the Redskins :lol:

I can't even find Manta's post to quote. But he said Jay Gruden is overrated?

How do you know that? It's a little ridiculous to say which coordinators are underrated or overrated. How much input does he have in player personnel? How much input does he have in the kind of offense he runs? (many coordinators get overruled a lot by their coaches) Who the heck knows how any coordinator would look as a head coach or how they'd build a football team.

So many big time coordinators have failed as head coaches (anyone out of New England, Mike Martz, Lebau, Jauron, Phillips, Haley, Greg Williams, Garrett...and random hires have succeeded, alternatively (Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians (well he got a rare chance to shine in Indy first, and took advantage of that, but nothing from his coaching career could have predicted that)

I can't even find Manta's post to quote. But he said Jay Gruden is overrated?

How do you know that? It's a little ridiculous to say which coordinators are underrated or overrated. How much input does he have in player personnel? How much input does he have in the kind of offense he runs? (many coordinators get overruled a lot by their coaches) Who the heck knows how any coordinator would look as a head coach or how they'd build a football team.

So many big time coordinators have failed as head coaches (anyone out of New England, Mike Martz, Lebau, Jauron, Phillips, Haley, Greg Williams, Garrett...and random hires have succeeded, alternatively (Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians (well he got a rare chance to shine in Indy first, and took advantage of that, but nothing from his coaching career could have predicted that)

I lifted Manta's post from the playoff thread, I was more being flip since most Dan Snyder moves are invariably the wrong ones, though now that RG3 made this hire, who knows :P

It really is hard to tell how good he is as a coach given the talent they now have in Cincy, or whether Dalton's failures reflect coaching or his own shortcomings.

I lifted Manta's post from the playoff thread, I was more being flip since most Dan Snyder moves are invariably the wrong ones, though now that RG3 made this hire, who knows :P

It really is hard to tell how good he is as a coach given the talent they now have in Cincy, or whether Dalton's failures reflect coaching or his own shortcomings.

The fact that Synder hired him: I rest my case.

A good OC will push his QB into beng mentally tough and streamlining a process to limit mistakes and turnovers.

Arians is a great example of an OC who teaches and gets the most out young QB's whether it Peyton Manning, Big Ben, or Andrew Luck.  He even got Tim Couch to the playoffs.

The fact that Synder hired him: I rest my case.

A good OC will push his QB into beng mentally tough and streamlining a process to limit mistakes and turnovers.

Arians is a great example of an OC who teaches and gets the most out young QB's whether it Peyton Manning, Big Ben, or Andrew Luck.  He even got Tim Couch to the playoffs.

Maybe he deserves credit for Dalton and the Bengals making the playoffs 3 straight years? Maybe a QB coach deserves to get some of the criticism you have...or maybe not? Who knows. Maybe they took Dalton as far as they could. And maybe Arians didn't do enough with a former 1st overall pick?

All a bunch of guesses.