BEER

TrentonDevils

Oh man I had one of the Aecht Schlenkerla rauchbiers once and I hated it. I'll probably end up trying it again sometime, maybe my tastes have changed.

Haha yeah it is an acquired taste. Triumph makes theirs pretty wall and it goes down smoothly. It kinda taste like bacon in a sense and since bacon is the sliced meat of the gods, by my logic rauchbier = awesome.

yeah -- Hopfish is too hoppy for me.

I'l have to try that oatmeal milk stout - I'm in Lambertville regularly so I have no excuse.

We have Weybacher Old Heathen right now too.

I always like the idea of Saison Dupont Farmhouse ale.

Love Boddingtons, Old Speckeled Hen - the Young's double chocolate isn't bad either.

Hit or miss for me is the smuttynose Barleywine... sometimes I like it sometimes I'm not in the mood. I'm SURE I had the Backwoods Bastard but I dont remember if I liked it or not.

Old heathen is one of my favorite campsite beers. Mmmm.

I am not a fan of rauchbier either yech!

Went beer shopping today, gearing up fo Memorial Day Weekend. Sad to say I couldn't find most of the beers some of you people recommended. My local beer/wine store carried many of the labels mentioned -- such as Founders, River Horse, Long Trail, etc. -- but almost none of the exact flavors I was looking for. I ended buying some others that I heard were good.

I guess I'll have to keep looking around.

Anyhow, happy beer drinking ...

:cheers:

Edited by 95Crash

I guess I should have mentioned a lot of my recommendations aren't available right now.

The four Founders beers I mentioned (KBS, Backwoods Bastard, Devil Dancer, and Breakfast Stout) are seasonals, you most likely won't find them in stores now. KBS came out in March, Backwoods Bastard comes out I think in the fall, Devil Dancer should be out in a month or two, and Breakfast Stout comes out in I think the fall. I have been impressed with I think every beer I've had by them though, just those three stick out to me the most.

You should be able to find the Stone beers I recommended (Old Guardian, Imperial Russian Stout, and Ruination in any store that carries Stone.

River Horse Hipp-o-lantern was a one-time only brew, and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is a fall seasonal. Hopefully River Horse makes Hipp-o-lantern a fall seasonal too. River Horse's Oatmeal Milk Stout comes out in either the fall or winter.

The exit series by Flying Fish is a bunch of one-time only beers, except they made Exit 4 part of their regular lineup so the only exit beers available now are Exit 4 and I think you can still find the most recent release, which is Exit 9 (Hoppy Scarlet Ale).

Climax Nut Brown Ale is available now at whatever stores carry Climax.

Cricket Hill's bourbon barrel aged porter isn't available anymore, it was a one-time deal as part of their brewer's reserve series.

Sorry if you wasted time and effort looking for any of my suggestions that aren't available.

Edited by devilsfan26

I've really been getting into the "Tripel" style of beer, though they tend to be way out of my budget.. Triumph had one a while back that was 9.5% abv (and after not eating or drinking water for a while that day, just one of these hit me pretty hard lol)

I'll be going to Belgium in a few weeks so I plan on drinking tons of beers, especially Tripels which originated from Trappist beers (apparently it's considered by many to be the best beer in the world)

Have you tried Exit 4 by Flying Fish or Golden Monkey by Victory? If you like tripels I highly recommend them.

Westvleteren 12, regarded as the best beer in the world, is brewed by Belgian Trappist monks not for profit, but just enough to keep their monastery financially stable. Trappistes Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 are Trappist beers that are high up on the list as well, although St. Bernardus isn't actually brewed by Trappist monks.

Link

Have any of you tried Arrogant Bastards Chocolate Stout? Its a pretty good beer. Different but in a good way. As is Wells Banana Bread Beer. For those of you that like different beers.

Duck Duck Gooze is another great beer. Brewed by The Lost Abby out in Cali.

Also, what are your thoughts on Lindemans Framboise/Kriek?

Do you mean Stone Imperial Russian Stout? Stone is the name of the brewery that makes Arrogant Bastard. If so, then yea that is an awesome beer, it's the one that got me into craft beer. I have one from 2008 I'm holding onto for a special occasion.

My mistake, it was Rouge who makes the Chocolate Stout. Arrogant Bastard is still good beer.

268217126_1e46d433b4.jpg

Yeah Ill check it out. I love different beers. Id much prefer a different beer over the typical "bud light" beer. The whole bud light lime sort of thing is a good attempt Ill atleast give them that much.

Have you tried their Creme Brule stout? Is that any good?

I am a Guinness fan and on St.Pattys day I tried Mothers Milk on tap. *A lighter Guinness* Wasnt really a fan.

Yea I think their Creme Brulee stout is good too, it has a really strong flavor though so it seems like everyone either loves it or hates it.

I've had a few Irish dry stouts that I liked more than Guinness. I think Schlafly makes a good one. Also, have you had Guinness Foreign Extra Stout? Ten times better than regular Guinness.

Yeah Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is very very good. Ill have to check out Schlafly also. Never heard of that. I do like McSorleys Black lager that is very good. Also Saranac's Vanilla Stout is pretty decent as well.

Last night, I went to a local brewery for a few pints: Defiant Brewery

Had the Muddy Creek Pilsner and the Prohibition Lager.

Both pretty good, but I enjoyed the Prohibition better than the two.

Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, N.Y., right over the N.Y./N.J. border near Montvale, N.J.? I like their stout and porter.

This weekend I had Bitburger Premium Pils (Germany), Radeberger Pilsner (Germany), Hofbräu Maibock (Germany), Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (California), Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (California), Long Trail Double Bag (Vermont) and Young’s Double Chocolate Stout (England), and I would recommend every one of them.

What is with people who call themselves "beer snobs" and the love for stouts and porters? I have been told my taste in beers is not as refined all because I do not want to drink a beer that is closer to coffee or chocolate milk than a real beer like a lager or pilsner. IMO I just found most to just about all stouts and porters to not be beer and is for people who hate the taste of real beer.

I love stouts and I love just about every other style of beer I've had also. Some people just don't like styles that other people like, it doesn't mean one is "real beer" and the other is not, nor does it mean a person's taste in beer is not refined. Same goes for hoppy beers, sometimes people like really hoppy beers and sometimes people don't. One could easily say that rauchbiers aren't real beer because they taste more like bacon. No need to criticize the other person or the beer, everyone has different tastes.

Edited by devilsfan26

I love stouts and I love just about every other style of beer I've had also. Some people just don't like styles that other people like, it doesn't mean one is "real beer" and the other is not, nor does it mean a person's taste in beer is not refined. Same goes for hoppy beers, sometimes people like really hoppy beers and sometimes people don't. No need to criticize the other person or the beer, everyone has different tastes.

I have gotten a lot of criticisms from people I know who tell me that I am not really into beers if I do not like stouts and it really seems every beer snob really loves stouts. To me the malt and other crap like coffee and chocolate that goes into them just turns it into something that is not beer. I will have a stout here and there but to me I feel like I am not drinking beer.

Still though I do have to say Guiness and any stout is worlds better than the swill known as Bud, Coors, and Miller that most people in this country live on.

Well that's their problem if they think enjoying stouts is a requirement for being a beer guy. I have a friend who loves beer but can't stand IPAs. No big deal, that is why there are many different styles.

EDIT:

By the way, I picked up 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon yesterday. I really enjoyed it, I like how the watermelon flavor definitely makes its presence felt without being over the top. I think this might be my go-to summer beer, so thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by devilsfan26

Well that's their problem if they think enjoying stouts is a requirement for being a beer guy. I have a friend who loves beer but can't stand IPAs. No big deal, that is why there are many different styles.

EDIT:

By the way, I picked up 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon yesterday. I really enjoyed it, I like how the watermelon flavor definitely makes its presence felt without being over the top. I think this might be my go-to summer beer, so thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe I just need new friends haha.

Glad you liked the Watermelon beer as I thought it was unique and balanced just right with the watermelon flavor. Not my favorite summer beer but def something different and is quite refreshing.