BEER

TrentonDevils

What is with people who call themselves "beer snobs" and the love for stouts and porters? I have been told my taste in beers is not as refined all because I do not want to drink a beer that is closer to coffee or chocolate milk than a real beer like a lager or pilsner. IMO I just found most to just about all stouts and porters to not be beer and is for people who hate the taste of real beer.

Yeah screw that. I drink whatever I am feeling that day. Some days I feel like a heavy beer like Guinness then other days I feel like a lighter beer like Newcastle. It is all about what you prefer. Beer is one of those things that the more you drink it the more experienced and daring you become. You appreciate it more. What I do not like is those who say, "I drink beer all the time." and they order Choors or Bud off tap.....no.

Ill pay the extra .50-2 dollars per pint over that thank you very much.

Edited by Quinn01

Yeah screw that. I drink whatever I am feeling that day. Some days I feel like a heavy beer like Guinness then other days I feel like a lighter beer like Newcastle. It is all about what you prefer. Beer is one of those things that the more you drink it the more experienced and daring you become. You appreciate it more. What I do not like is those who say, "I drink beer all the time." and they order Choors or Bud off tap.....no.

Ill pay the extra .50-2 dollars per pint over that thank you very much.

Haha I laugh at those who say they like to experiment with new and imported beers and they tell me they order a Heineken once in a while to prove it. Too cute.

Have you tried Exit 4 by Flying Fish or Golden Monkey by Victory? If you like tripels I highly recommend them.

Westvleteren 12, regarded as the best beer in the world, is brewed by Belgian Trappist monks not for profit, but just enough to keep their monastery financially stable. Trappistes Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 are Trappist beers that are high up on the list as well, although St. Bernardus isn't actually brewed by Trappist monks.

Link

Thanks for the info I'll be sure to try those out, and hopefully I can make it to Westvleteren when I'm in Belgium

I also drank Victory Prima Pils (Pennsylvania) this past weekend but wasn't crazy about it. From the reviews I had read, I thought I would like it a lot, but nope.

It just goes to show, I guess, that you can't go strictly by the reviews; you gotta let your tastebuds decide for themselves.

df26, Yeah the one in PR, I live like 5 minutes from there.

DM84, my boss thinks he's a real beer afficionato and trashes my taste in beer all the time at work. I couldn't care less if i spend $2 on a pint or $5, if it tastes good, I'll go for the $2 any day of the week, regardless of name.

maybe I've hung on to my college tastes where if it was a beer and had alcohol in it, I'd at least try it.

OK -- I just went to their site -- we have NOT done the whole Victory line -- I think mostly the yearly... Prima is a nice standard, for me it's a great start of the evening beer when you don't know what you're in the mood for yet - I like it better as an all purpose beer than the V lager.

I like Golden Monkey - to me it's flavorful but more busy than complex if that makes sense. Sometimes I can't get through a bottle - I feel like I'm drinking perfume - other times it's just what I want.

HopDevil is nice (I think I like any Beer with Devil in the title though I DO confess). Sometimes I think I don't understand what hops tastes like -- sometimes I get a very bitter beer and everyone says it's the hops - then I get an herby beer and it's billed as very hoppy. I have to eat a hop flower I think to really understand the flavor.

I've never had Storm King. Donnybrook - I love the name :rolleyes: so I think positively on it...but in truth, it's not earth shattering - I like my stouts with the wizzy ball thing (if it's not on tap of course) - out of a bottle, the texture doesn't suit me now :noclue:

I was just going to say I'd never heard of Helios... I guess it's new... the marketing has me I'll have to keep an eye out :boogie:

I know I've had 12 but I have ZERO recollection - I probably shared it and it made no effect on me so.. :noclue: I had Wild Devil but was disappointed -- I'm sorry I dont remember why. and I dont think I had anything else.

I know it's not very hip, but I am a big Yuengling fan. Good price, good taste.

And I really like Sunshine Wheat, a Colorado beer that's not distributed on the East Coast from what I can tell. It's like Blue Moon but better IMO.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Anyone every have Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager? My girlfriend got me a six pack recently and it was actually pretty good. Lately I have been kinda into the really fruity beers and I guess cause the summer is coming up.

Yeah I have also been into the whole fruity or different tasting beers. Have you tried Sea Dog Blue Paw (Blueberry Wheat)? Thats a very very good fruity beer. They also have an raspberry wheat one that I havent tried yet as well as apricot wheat. If you havent tried it youll have to hunt that beer down.

Yeah I have also been into the whole fruity or different tasting beers. Have you tried Sea Dog Blue Paw (Blueberry Wheat)? Thats a very very good fruity beer. They also have an raspberry wheat one that I havent tried yet as well as apricot wheat. If you havent tried it youll have to hunt that beer down.

I might just have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I stick with Flying Fish myself these days, as it is brewed so close to my home. Exit 4 is a great one and hopefully they'll keep it around. HopFish is another good one.

I really like the 90 Minute IPA from DogFish Head as well :)

I'm missing my Flying fishes now Weyerbacker is OK but I was enjoying the Exit 4 too! I want to have the 16W! but I can't....

I hate Ray Bourque... maybe it's the half of this 20 proof beer making me say it -- but he stole 16W from us. 10 years and I still want to slap his stupid square fat bearded face --- and ballsac's bizarro unshaped face.

I have book club tonight -- I can't stand Gabriella Hamilton's book but the ladies of Lambertville HAD to read it. I wager we'll all be taking a book club field trip to Prune -- OH NO.... we'll take a drunken stroll to Hamilton Grill!!! :clap: that would be funny!!

I'm sorry guys.... :offtopic:

My wife likes Manischewitz! It's what the bums call ripple. Alcoholic Welch's grape juice. Bleeck!

:lol: it sooo is though. I had always wanted to host a slumber party in my teens with manischewitz.... instead we had blackberry brandy -- I guess that's cooler -- but I still liked the idea.

:lol: it sooo is though. I had always wanted to host a slumber party in my teens with manischewitz.... instead we had blackberry brandy -- I guess that's cooler -- but I still liked the idea.

This reminds me of Black Haus. :P That and sprite is really good.

Hey I am now home and my husband cracked open the Gnomegong --- it tastes like a really real Belgian. I'd recommend it!

I think it's the La chouffe and Ommegong people

I'm nearly certain Ommegang is actually owned by Duvel.

Did they buy them then? I haven't followed them in ages -- last time we went there Hennepin was their new brew and Witte was just in development. We were visiting one of my husband many alma maters in Cobbleskill and headed to Cooperstown for fun. That was loooong ago though before we had Rebecca even.

Gnomegong is a collaboration between Brasserie d ‘Achouffe and Ommegong -- it must be brewed in Cooperstown because it's still labeled Belgian style. By taste -- It's a beligian though.... :) mmmmm!

I'm a fan of La Chouff anyhow though --- and NOT just because I like garden gnomes.... :o did I just write that?!?!?! Ihad to toss 2 of mine (garden gnomes) I only have one.... and I am going to fill his little gnomey wheel barrow with beer to keep slugs away ... :wub:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Hey where did you find the Sea Dog beer? I am looking and having trouble finding it.

Also anyone else have suggestions for beers that have some kind of fruity flavor to it? I especially am looking for something along the lines of raspberry and blueberry.

Hey where did you find the Sea Dog beer? I am looking and having trouble finding it.

Also anyone else have suggestions for beers that have some kind of fruity flavor to it? I especially am looking for something along the lines of raspberry and blueberry.

I am up in Sussex County and generally all the liquor stores have it. Its a beer from Maine I believe so it shouldnt be to hard to find around here. Do you have Wine Country's down by you? Or A&P/Shoprite Liquor stores? They should also carry it. Usually beer websites have a link that you can type your zip in and find who sells it around you but Sea Dog doesnt have that option.

I am up in Sussex County and generally all the liquor stores have it. Its a beer from Maine I believe so it shouldnt be to hard to find around here. Do you have Wine Country's down by you? Or A&P/Shoprite Liquor stores? They should also carry it. Usually beer websites have a link that you can type your zip in and find who sells it around you but Sea Dog doesnt have that option.

Cool thanks and I have both not far from me. I went on the Sea Dog website to find them and just saw a list of distributors in NJ, but no retail stores.