Has PDB said for sure

Blown01NJ

Kinkaid is outplaying Wedgewood this year, but knowing Lou, it would be someone from outside the organization. Like a Clemmensen, Yann Danis, Al Montoya type most likely. Someone who can be relied on for a few starts, assuming the Devils are ready to give Schneider 60 starts or so.

to be completely honest...even though majority of the board here does not want it..iam almost certain as im sure most people here know whether they like it or not... martin will be back for one more..better just hope its not for anything more than one more.

to be completely honest...even though majority of the board here does not want it..iam almost certain as im sure most people here know whether they like it or not... martin will be back for one more..better just hope its not for anything more than one more.

Yeah, I meant if Marty isn't here. Right now I'd say that if Marty doesn't retire, he'll be a Devil. I just don't think Lou has it in him to let Marty walk. I also don't think Marty wants to play for any other team. I would hope that Lou does what's best for the team and that Marty can see that he's going the way of Brett Favre.

Yeah, I meant if Marty isn't here. Right now I'd say that if Marty doesn't retire, he'll be a Devil. I just don't think Lou has it in him to let Marty walk. I also don't think Marty wants to play for any other team. I would hope that Lou does what's best for the team and that Marty can see that he's going the way of Brett Favre.

As a Vikings fan, brett favre played his best statistical year at like 40 I believe it was. And the following year where we went 6-10 and he looked like sh!t, it was 100% beacuse of an extremley pourous Offensive Line. If Manning was playing behind that vikings o-line taking those kind of shots at his age, he would most certainly not be having the terrific year he's having with the broncos this year.

Point being Brett Favre was still very good at that age, his body just couldn't take being hit every other play. The sack in chicago where he got knocked out was the last straw.  He could still make all the throws and read a defense.

Kinkaid is outplaying Wedgewood this year, but knowing Lou, it would be someone from outside the organization. Like a Clemmensen, Yann Danis, Al Montoya type most likely. Someone who can be relied on for a few starts, assuming the Devils are ready to give Schneider 60 starts or so.

What gets overlooked is how good the Devils' backups have been since '08-'09 thru '11-'12, when they've been needed more.  Hedberg was pretty good in his first two seasons with the Devils, Clemmy put up Brodeur-like numbers when he had to fill in in 2008-09 (their rate numbers were almost identical). 

Those guys actually did nice jobs having to replace Marty when he was injured (especially Clemmensen).  Sad thing is, if Schneider were to get injured next season, I don't think Marty plays nearly as well in the extended "injury fill in" role as Clemmensen did in '08-'09, and I don't think he plays as well as Hedberg did as a backup and occasional #1 in '10-'11 and '11-'12.  The only time the Devils really had a disastrous backup situation in the Brodeur era that I can remember in recent history is last season.  I know Terreri was pretty bad his last two seasons with the Devils, but those teams were so good record-wise and he played so little that he wasn't really hurting them that much.      

As a Vikings fan, brett favre played his best statistical year at like 40 I believe it was. And the following year where we went 6-10 and he looked like sh!t, it was 100% beacuse of an extremley pourous Offensive Line. If Manning was playing behind that vikings o-line taking those kind of shots at his age, he would most certainly not be having the terrific year he's having with the broncos this year.

Point being Brett Favre was still very good at that age, his body just couldn't take being hit every other play. The sack in chicago where he got knocked out was the last straw.  He could still make all the throws and read a defense.

When I say Brett Favre, I mean hanging on for the sake of hanging on, not making a decision on retirement, and making it hard for your team to make a decision. I always applauded Green Bay for making the decision to go with Rodgers, not because I thought Favre was done, but because it was time to take the next step. I also felt the Colts/Manning split was best for both.

When I say Brett Favre, I mean hanging on for the sake of hanging on, not making a decision on retirement, and making it hard for your team to make a decision. I always applauded Green Bay for making the decision to go with Rodgers, not because I thought Favre was done, but because it was time to take the next step. I also felt the Colts/Manning split was best for both.

Not to turn this into a football debate, but Colts/Manning was a perfect storm situation.  If the Colts don't play so badly in Manning's absense and don't get the top pick, Manning is probably back.  If a QB like Luck isn't available to the Colts, Manning is probably back.  But the situation that presented itself...drafting #1 and having the chance to take a young QB that pretty much everyone felt was a generational talent...was simply too good for that franchise to pass up. 

I think Marty's situation (if he insists on playing next season) could potentially become like Favre's, Messier's, and Magic Johnson's, where they don't realize that, as much as everyone is aware of how important they were to their teams, and the appreciation that goes with that, they don't seem to grasp that eventually their teams have to move on (especially as it becomes obvious that their skills are eroding).  Those guys can really put their franchises in awkward situations.  All three of the players I mentioned acted like their teams should just wait on them, like any decision regarding their playing futures was strictly up to them and them only.  MJ was actually toying with the idea of yet another comeback, when the Lakers finally told him, "Look, thanks, but no thanks this time, really."     

Not to turn this into a football debate, but Colts/Manning was a perfect storm situation.  If the Colts don't play so badly in Manning's absense and don't get the top pick, Manning is probably back.  If a QB like Luck isn't available to the Colts, Manning is probably back.  But the situation that presented itself...drafting #1 and having the chance to take a young QB that pretty much everyone felt was a generational talent...was simply too good for that franchise to pass up. 

I think Marty's situation (if he insists on playing next season) could potentially become like Favre's, Messier's, and Magic Johnson's, where they don't realize that, as much as everyone is aware of how important they were to their teams, and the appreciation that goes with that, they don't seem to grasp that eventually their teams have to move on (especially as it becomes obvious that their skills are eroding).  Those guys can really put their franchises in awkward situations.  All three of the players I mentioned acted like their teams should just wait on them, like any decision regarding their playing futures was strictly up to them and them only.  MJ was actually toying with the idea of yet another comeback, when the Lakers finally told him, "Look, thanks, but no thanks this time, really."     

I really am not worried about this getting awkward.  It would be one thing if a backup like Kinkaid unexpectedly played lights out.    In this case though, Lou traded a very valuable pick for Schneider, and, from what we've heard, has had his eye on Schneider for a while.  There has to be a plan in place as to how to handle Marty when his deal is over, and there's a good chance that Marty and Lou have already discussed it.  

I'll also go out on a limb and suggest that Lou probably agrees with a lot of people here that Marty is costing the team more wins than an average NHL goalie.  The word is that the Devils are hiring or have hired a stat guru who will probably tell Lou the exact same thing. 

I think some Colts fans may feel differently right about now...

EDIT:  Marty needs to get to 700

Edited by ThreeCups

I think some Colts fans may feel differently right about now...

EDIT:  Marty needs to get to 700

Right now, sure. But Denver is built to win now. Indy will be a powerhouse in the near future. They have a lot of good young pieces, and Luck is already breaking some records.  That's why I said it works out for both… Peyton is on a contender now, and Luck gives Indy stability for a decade at least if he continues his learning curve. 

Marty hitting 700 might be a stretch, even if he comes back next year. Cory should be getting a solid 60 starts next season. 

Right now, sure. But Denver is built to win now. Indy will be a powerhouse in the near future. They have a lot of good young pieces, and Luck is already breaking some records.  That's why I said it works out for both… Peyton is on a contender now, and Luck gives Indy stability for a decade at least if he continues his learning curve. 

Marty hitting 700 might be a stretch, even if he comes back next year. Cory should be getting a solid 60 starts next season. 

No way Peyton could have lead the Colts to another title?!?

Marty hits 700 easily if he returns next year

No way colts fans are upset with the situation, I would sacrifice manning for a 2-3 year window to win the sb to gain Luck for another 10-15 years of probably elite QB play. Even if The broncos win this year and its all manning, Luck is the real deal and I find it hard to believe he doesn't have a super bowl win or 2 in him. That KC game probably has all Colts fans hugely excited for the future. The interceptions will be fixed with coaching and more experience, what he did in that game can't be coached.

Edited by Sneax

I was saying on the chat the other day...of all the things people have been pissed at Pete about...be it the playing of Brodeur too much, the absolute lock of a spot given o Salvador even though he is awful and there are much better options, the spot and the minutes given to Gionta, Janssen getting in games, the 7 defenseman-11 forwards bit, Larsson getting scratched, Fayne starting the year scratched, the lack of playing time or the opportunity given to guys like Josefson, Loktionov, Tedenby....

So all those things, but 95% of the fans would be angrier if he started Cory over Marty for the outdoor game. Even if it showed that he was finally putting politics aside and making a decision on what 100% gives the Devils the best chance to win. For many fans it would really ruin what should be a special day no matter what.

https://twitter.com/NHLDevils/status/426923519369166848

https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/426915896406605824

So it is kind of amusing in a way. A little hypocritical. I am on the Marty boat too, but this has to be it for giving Brodeur any special treatment. After Sunday, Pete has to forget names, forget legacies and focus on just right now. Treat them as just two regular goalies. One of them has a .928 save percentage and the other has a .905. If this year isn't enough, go ahead and look back at the last 3 years. It's really really really simple.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2011&year_max=2013&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=games_goalie&c1comp=gt&c1val=50&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=save_pct (Scott Cullen's link)

Edited by devilsrule33

No way Peyton could have lead the Colts to another title?!?

Marty hits 700 easily if he returns next year

Peyton may have lead the Colts to one. Who knows. But they had the #1 pick and a chance to get a second consecutive franchise QB. They made the right call. 

I guess Marty could hit 700, but with how he's playing plus the fact that he's clearly a backup now, it could be very difficult. 

"I think I'll start to think about [sunday] on the way home," DeBoer said. "It's going to be a great day. It's Yankee Stadium and it's the Rangers. It's a once in a lifetime experience and I'm excited about it."

DeBoer said Schneider was his best player against the Capitals.

"Cory has given us great goaltending," DeBoer said. "He was the difference [Friday]."

DeBoer wouldn't reveal whether Schneider or Martin Brodeur would start Sunday.

"I'll sleep on it and make a decision first thing [saturday]," DeBoer said.

Asked about the possibility of starting Sunday, Schneider remained humble.

"It's a special game and Marty has been a big part of this franchise," Schneider said. "He's gotten a lot of wins for us this year. Whether he picks him or me, I don't think it changes the way we feel about it. We both trust each other and respect the way we're playing. If he chooses me, it's great, but this is a game that would probably mean a lot to Marty, having never played an outdoor game in his career.

"I'm sure he would really enjoy it."

"I think I'll start to think about [sunday] on the way home," DeBoer said. "It's going to be a great day. It's Yankee Stadium and it's the Rangers. It's a once in a lifetime experience and I'm excited about it."

DeBoer said Schneider was his best player against the Capitals.

"Cory has given us great goaltending," DeBoer said. "He was the difference [Friday]."

DeBoer wouldn't reveal whether Schneider or Martin Brodeur would start Sunday.

"I'll sleep on it and make a decision first thing [saturday]," DeBoer said.

Asked about the possibility of starting Sunday, Schneider remained humble.

"It's a special game and Marty has been a big part of this franchise," Schneider said. "He's gotten a lot of wins for us this year. Whether he picks him or me, I don't think it changes the way we feel about it. We both trust each other and respect the way we're playing. If he chooses me, it's great, but this is a game that would probably mean a lot to Marty, having never played an outdoor game in his career.

"I'm sure he would really enjoy it."

Cory is a class act and a terrific goalie.

I was saying on the chat the other day...of all the things people have been pissed at Pete about...be it the playing of Brodeur too much, the absolute lock of a spot given o Salvador even though he is awful and there are much better options, the spot and the minutes given to Gionta, Janssen getting in games, the 7 defenseman-11 forwards bit, Larsson getting scratched, Fayne starting the year scratched, the lack of playing time or the opportunity given to guys like Josefson, Loktionov, Tedenby....

So all those things, but 95% of the fans would be angrier if he started Cory over Marty for the outdoor game. Even if it showed that he was finally putting politics aside and making a decision on what 100% gives the Devils the best chance to win. For many fans it would really ruin what should be a special day no matter what.

https://twitter.com/NHLDevils/status/426923519369166848

https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/426915896406605824

So it is kind of amusing in a way. A little hypocritical. I am on the Marty boat too, but this has to be it for giving Brodeur any special treatment. After Sunday, Pete has to forget names, forget legacies and focus on just right now. Treat them as just two regular goalies. One of them has a .928 save percentage and the other has a .905. If this year isn't enough, go ahead and look back at the last 3 years. It's really really really simple.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2011&year_max=2013&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=games_goalie&c1comp=gt&c1val=50&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=save_pct (Scott Cullen's link)

I think, as far as bones go, the outdoor game is the last one Devils fans are willing to throw him (I think most of them also want to see Marty retire after this season).  Include me in that group.  I don't need to see him limp to 700 wins either.  He'll probably be around 686 or so by the end of the season.  Will 14 more victories really make any difference, as far as his legacy goes?   

At this point, I think we all want to see the guy who gives the Devils the best chance to win playing as many games as possible.  I don't kid myself...the Devils will have 29 games left after Sunday, and there's no way Cory will start them all.  There's seven back-to-backs after the Olympic break.  It's just a guess, but I think Marty probably gets 7-10 of the remaining 29 games, depending on his play.  Can't see it being any more or any less. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

personally I think i want Brodeur to get the game, Cory is obviously better and on paper id pick him but this is a special game and eventhough Marty can be shacky at times, he can still get it done and win games so everything considered i'd put marty but no matter what happen i'd put Cory next game.

basically for everything Marty did for the franchise, this would be great for him and its not as if its automatically costing us games by putting him so.

Edited by SterioDesign

a goalie situation like this must be a little like 2 good friends going for the same girl. You act like it's cool while trying to prove yourself and do more than the other guy while pretending you're 100% okay with it.

I could see that, but to make a guess, I'm thinking if everything stays the same (Cory continues to get more and more playing time), Marty will see it more as almost being cast aside and forgotten, maybe even as a bit of a slight.  I don't think he'll ever think of himself as anything less than a capable, above-average NHL goaltender who is at his best when he's playing a lot of games, no matter how old he is or what the numbers say.  I don't doubt he'll support Cory and the Devils publicly and elsewhere, but I don't think starting three or so games per 10 has him tickled...and I don't think he's convinced deep-down that this is really what's best for the team, because he'll never stop believing in himself. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I could see that, but to make a guess, I'm thinking if everything stays the same (Cory continues to get more and more playing time), Marty will see it more as almost being cast aside and forgotten, maybe even as a bit of a slight. I don't think he'll ever think of himself as anything less than a capable, above-average NHL goaltender who is at his best when he's playing a lot of games, no matter how old he is or what the numbers say. I don't doubt he'll support Cory and the Devils publicly and elsewhere, but I don't think starting three or so games per 10 has him tickled...and I don't think he convinced deep-down that this is really what's best for the team, because he'll never stop believing in himself.

Absolutely agree with most of that. Top athletes need that confidence. It's going to be up to the team to step in and make the decision this offseason. I'd prefer Marty to step down on his own, but it's hard to accept that your body isn't what it was.

I still think this was a good game for Marty to start, and that scares me. A lot. If he can't make a save against a team he knows, on a weird surface where it's hard to pass, how's he gonna do better on good ice against anyone else? I know he's sometimes better, but if I'm the Devils and he's playing, I have no confidence.