Brodeur, Nabokov, Lundqvist finalists for Vezina

Z-Man

If it's a popularity contest then Marty would probably win. Devils have actually done pretty well in winning individual awards over the years and people who cheer for team Canada love Marty.

He would win in New Jersey and Montreal, but that's it. Outside of those two cities most people bash Marty for being a goalie only as good as his luck and the defense in front of him. Everywhere I've lived (both coasts and in the heartland) there was never a clear liking of Brodeur. It's jealousy, of course, but it shows that he would lose a popularity contest. He deserved Vezinas when Roy was still playing and when Hasek was at or near his prime, but didn't get it because of popularity. Marty deserved the Conn Smythe in 2003, but lost to Jiggy-puff because of popularity.

It's better for the league if Queen Henrik wins, because most of America blindly likes New York teams regardless of how awful the franchise is run.

Edited by njdss4

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well there are 6 canadien teams in the NHL

How many GMs are Canadian? I don't really believe there is an inherent bias in the award since the 30 GMs vote and I tend to think they're unbiased in general. To say Marty won't win because of the media or something like that is silly, which is what I was trying point out.

He would win in New Jersey and Montreal, but that's it. Outside of those two cities most people bash Marty for being a goalie only as good as his luck and the defense in front of him. Everywhere I've lived (both coasts and in the heartland) there was never a clear liking of Brodeur. It's jealousy, of course, but it shows that he would lose a popularity contest. He deserved Vezinas when Roy was still playing and when Hasek was at or near his prime, but didn't get it because of popularity. Marty deserved the Conn Smythe in 2003, but lost to Jiggy-puff because of popularity.

It's better for the league if Queen Henrik wins, because most of America blindly likes New York teams regardless of how awful the franchise is run.

Is that why he's only won 3 of the last 4?

It should be way more than 3. Brodeur didn't win one until Roy had retired and Hasek had fallen from grace. There was pretty much no one else to give it to after that.

and Marty will probably win this season and some Ranger and SJ fans will talk about how their guy was robbed and in 10 years talk about how they should have many more if Marty didn't unfairly get some.

The MVP should go to goalies every year, just like it should go to quarterbacks in the NFL every year. but goalies already have an award.

i think it's hard to imagine anyone voting for lundqvist over brodeur or nabokov. there's just no way he outplayed either guy this season. pretty sure brodeur gets it on rep.

Coming from a Rangers fan that is expected since no Rangers fan will give respect to Brodeur. Obviously you have not watched a lot of the Devils games this season being a Rangers fan so it would be a crime if Brodeur did not win the Hart. All the years he played great and had good Dmen infront of him but this season losing Rafalski and having martin and White as the veteran Dmen this is the season for Brodeur to finally win the Hart and THAT would be a crime. AO will have other years and he will win the Hart most likely more than once.

I'm not a ranger fan but I'll say the same thing. If AO doesn't win the Hart, that would be a crime. Great year for Marty and he's probably deserved at least one MVP by now, but not this year. He will take 2nd in the voting and have nothing to complain about - he was awesome on a very mediocre team. God help the rest of the league if the devils get a sniper of Hossas calliber in the offseason.

I'm not a ranger fan but I'll say the same thing. If AO doesn't win the Hart, that would be a crime. Great year for Marty and he's probably deserved at least one MVP by now, but not this year. He will take 2nd in the voting and have nothing to complain about - he was awesome on a very mediocre team. God help the rest of the league if the devils get a sniper of Hossas calliber in the offseason.

If Marty and AO switched teams, the Caps would be one of the best in the league, while the Devils would be fighting for the 8th seed if there lucky. The MVP is the most valuable player to their team. Take Marty off the Devils and you have the L.A. Kings.

If Marty and AO switched teams, the Caps would be one of the best in the league, while the Devils would be fighting for the 8th seed if there lucky. The MVP is the most valuable player to their team. Take Marty off the Devils and you have the L.A. Kings.

The GMs already voted. Personally, I think Nabokov will get it due to his brilliant success in the last 20-games of the season. While Nabokov was amazing, Brodeur (no offense) did sort of sputter toward the end. The end of the season "might" be what was most fresh when the GMs voted.

:noclue: Like I said: It's a coinflip between Marty and Nabby and could easily go either way.

and Marty will probably win this season and some Ranger and SJ fans will talk about how their guy was robbed and in 10 years talk about how they should have many more if Marty didn't unfairly get some.

No one is going to think Lundy was robbed of the Vezina. A lot of fans are even surprised he's a finalist. I don't know a single NY fan that has said "Lundqvist deserves it." :rolleyes:

As for Shark fans? Perhaps. But I can also already imagine the 3-5 topics that will say argue that Marty got shafted and how the NHL is against the Devils. :whistling:

Unfortunately Marty has the least chance to win the Vezina this year. The NHL has been begging, waiting for someone else to give it to. Nabby is good enough, as they can just say he had more wins and his team finished with a better record. They could give it to Queen Henrik, too, as the Rags beat the Devs. I know the playoffs isn't supposed to factor into this decision, but it will.

These trophies are often popularity contests. If you don't play on a popular team then you stand little chance of winning it. The Devils always get fvcked in this category, but we just have to make up for it by winning another Cup before Marty retires.

You know this trophy is voted on by the 30 gm's right? the NHL has little to do with who gets it.

But the trophy rarely goes to a goaltender, who was the last? I think it was theodore in 2001 or something. Anyway, Goalies have the Vezina, let the *players* have the MVP award.