66 replies to this topic

#61 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

There is plenty of room off of 80 to build what was needed. It's anything but not smart. Building an arena in one of the most crime infested areas of New Jersey = not smart. Wasn't it in the top 30 most dangerous cities last year?

EDIT: Yes. Yes it was. Its also the second highest NJ city. - http://os.cqpress.co...09_Rank_Rev.pdf

Not for nothing, but I can't believe I'm still having to make this argument in 2010. I think some of the older posters here might find that amusing as well. Interesting thing about that list you posted:

NHL Arena Cities:

2. St Louis, MO
4. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, DC
18. Atlanta, GA
21. Philadelphia, PA
27. Buffalo, NY
29. Newark, NJ

Looks to me that we're following a trend of putting our lilly-white game in the mean inner cities, no?

Other major league towns (in other sports) ahead of Newark on that list would be:

3. Oakland, CA
6. New Orleans, LA
8. Cleveland, OH
10. Memphis, TN
13. Baltimore, MD
15. Kansas City, MO
17. Orlando, FL
19. Cincinnati, OH
28. Indianapolis, IN

Is djstubbs around perchance? I'm feeling nostalgic.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#62 mac760

mac760

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Not for nothing, but I can't believe I'm still having to make this argument in 2010. I think some of the older posters here might find that amusing as well. Interesting thing about that list you posted:

NHL Arena Cities:

2. St Louis, MO
4. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, DC
18. Atlanta, GA
21. Philadelphia, PA
27. Buffalo, NY
29. Newark, NJ

Looks to me that we're following a trend of putting our lilly-white game in the mean inner cities, no?

Other major league towns (in other sports) ahead of Newark on that list would be:

3. Oakland, CA
6. New Orleans, LA
8. Cleveland, OH
10. Memphis, TN
13. Baltimore, MD
15. Kansas City, MO
17. Orlando, FL
19. Cincinnati, OH
28. Indianapolis, IN

Is djstubbs around perchance? I'm feeling nostalgic.

So let me get this straight. You are telling me there are crime problems in many large cities? Besides Newark? Many of whom also have NHL teams? That is shocking. ;)

#63 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Honestly this all seems like a rather strange digression from the original topic, the city selling the arena. Newark is a city and it's not for everyone nor should it be. The arena is where it is for the next 30 years so it's pointless to argue that now.

Newark is poorly managed and has huge expendatures for a city that doesn't cover alot of land mass. I wish the managed things better but that's spilt milk to the next election.

As for the area surrounding the arena I think suggestions to the devils cant hurt especially if it helps them improve their product and make them more money.

#64 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Honestly this all seems like a rather strange digression from the original topic, the city selling the arena. Newark is a city and it's not for everyone nor should it be. The arena is where it is for the next 30 years so it's pointless to argue that now.

Newark is poorly managed and has huge expendatures for a city that doesn't cover alot of land mass. I wish the managed things better but that's spilt milk to the next election.

As for the area surrounding the arena I think suggestions to the devils cant hurt especially if it helps them improve their product and make them more money.

The digression honestly made me wanna party like its 2003... no Cup to celebrate though.... damn.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#65 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

Even though the conversation has veered off path, I am liking it.

It has served as a nice reminder that the Devs have fans spread out all over the state.

Edited by 95Crash, 20 August 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#66 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

Their are some many projects that could be tackled with 200 mil you could theoretically get from seeling the arena but lets face it, it would just get misspent on pork, because that's what politicians do.

#67 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Something to think about when we talk aboug JVB having Newark pay for the Rock...

http://www.nytimes.c...t8mOY7HBJ8SVGiw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users