Smantzas' Open Roster Discussion Thread

sundstrom

There's no need to hide Mattias Tedenby.  Who is going to claim him?  Linus Omark just went right through waivers.  I think Urbom will go right through too - the teams that seem to lack a guy like Urbom (a guy right on the cusp of making the NHL) seem to have a bunch of D already signed.  He's not really worth anything in trade given his waiver-eligibility.

I think most scouts around the league with a decent head on their shoulders knows Tedenby as a player with good potential the past couple years, whether met or unmet (so far, unmet).

Considering his very good early start to camp (according to the bloggers), and very good first preseason match against the Rangers, it'd be foolish to consider him a bust again just because he's had a minor injury the past week. It seems like he'll at least make the roster opening night, maybe stick for a while too.

If he goes on waivers prematurely just because of a week out with a minor injury, I'm sure there's a scout out there who's had him on their radar who might check out tape of his first preseason game and take a gamble on claiming him, not much to lose for a cap floor team.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and I'm overvaluing him? But look at Zuccarello on the Rangers: similar player, similar size and speed, and was one of their best players on some nights when given the minutes and the chance by the coach. I don't really see Tedenby as anything too different. I'm sick of seeing him play 4 minutes a game on a line with Janssen and Sestito. It's no wonder we haven't seen much of his upside yet on the NHL level..

Edited by DJ Eco

Speaking of waivers... I may be wrong but I saw lot of players being put into them around the league... and have to see a claiming by another team.

Except an incredible bargain, i don't see other team picking up players at this time of the year (and we don't have " incredible bargain's type of players " to risk to waiver anyway... 

Forwards:

Josefson-Elias-Ryder

Brunner-Henrique-Clowe

Bernier-Zajac-Zubrus

Olesz-Loktionov-Jagr

Carter/Tedenby (extras)

My guess - Gio/Janssen sent down

Defense:

Larsson-Greene

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Urbom

My guess - Harrold sent down

Goaltenders:

Brodeur

Schneider

I could see Lou trading a Dman and another forward after Barch was gone today.

Certainly looks like this is going to be a 4 line team. I know some think the trade of Barch helps Janssen, but I still think he gets sent down. I think Carter may be the 1st extra forward now - though Jagr will miss games here and there so Carter will still get to play a fair amount even without injuries which inevitably happen. I think it comes down to Tedenby and Gionta for the 2nd extra forward spot (assuming they don't go 8 D again).

I know it's a risk to try to send Urbom down, but I could see Lou attempting it. I think they'd rather have Harrold as the 7th D and Urbom getting regular playing time in Albany. I do worry about Fayne being paired with Urbom lately - I hope Fayne isn't the odd man out - it would make no sense (unless he's getting traded). If Fayne's on the roster, he deserves to play.

So 3 more need to be trimmed from the list, yes?

I'd agree - Gio, Cam, and Harrold are the most likely if it's purely an AHL dump.

But I guess trading Tedenby for a bag of pucks might also be a suitable solution if they truly won't let go their hardon for Gionta, not there's much room for Gio even with a Tedenby-type trade.

Certainly looks like this is going to be a 4 line team. I know some think the trade of Barch helps Janssen, but I still think he gets sent down. I think Carter may be the 1st extra forward now - though Jagr will miss games here and there so Carter will still get to play a fair amount even without injuries which inevitably happen. I think it comes down to Tedenby and Gionta for the 2nd extra forward spot (assuming they don't go 8 D again).

I know it's a risk to try to send Urbom down, but I could see Lou attempting it. I think they'd rather have Harrold as the 7th D and Urbom getting regular playing time in Albany. I do worry about Fayne being paired with Urbom lately - I hope Fayne isn't the odd man out - it would make no sense (unless he's getting traded). If Fayne's on the roster, he deserves to play.

Agreed w/Urbom.

I think the only "good" options there are:

-Send Urbom down & keep Harrold as 7th since no one care's about his ice time or development

-Trade a starting D (Salvador) and gamble Urbom can step in and play regular minutes, and still retain Harrold as 7th who can even alternate with Urbom if need be

other than JJ i don't really see who could be traded and get a good value, we just resigned Zajac, Loktio, Henrique, Elias, Zubrus and we signed Clowe, Jagr, Brunner, Olesz.. so i can't imagine Lou trading them... Bernier and carter are very useful for what they are worth i can't see us getting rid of them

other than JJ i don't really see who could be traded and get a good value, we just resigned Zajac, Loktio, Henrique, Elias, Zubrus and we signed Clowe, Jagr, Brunner, Olesz.. so i can't imagine Lou trading them... Bernier and carter are very useful for what they are worth i can't see us getting rid of them

Carter and Bernier are both UFA at the end of this year and it wouldn't be crazy to think someone dumb will give them Prust money so maybe Lou trades them preemptively to make room?

Assuming everyone is healthy to start the regular season:

Elias - Zajac - Ryder

Clowe - Henrique - Brunner

Zubrus - Loktionov - Jagr

Olesz - Josefson - Bernier

Carter, Tedenby

Larsson - Greene

Salvador - Zidlicky

Volchenkov - Fayne

Urbom

Schneider

Marty

Send down Janssen, Gionta, and Harrold.

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but Larsson is the only remaining Devil on the current roster who is not waiver eligible. There's no way he's going down.

The team also has 25 players on the roster right now. Trade is the only way around it at this point, right? Unless a couple guys go on IR, what else can be done to get down to 23?

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but Larsson is the only remaining Devil on the current roster who is not waiver eligible. There's no way he's going down.

The team also has 25 players on the roster right now. Trade is the only way around it at this point, right? Unless a couple guys go on IR, what else can be done to get down to 23?

Marty can be placed on bereavement if the 23 man roster doesn't require 2 goalies on non game days.

They might make a paper transaction and 'send' down Larsson, but it's only for a day or so.

yeh, suppose they could put some people on IR - but what's the point?  none of the injuries we've heard about to date project to be long term injuries.  unless someone like jagr truly isn't ready to go, using IR to temporarily solve this issue doesn't really do much for us.

here's to Gio getting traded (which maybe NJ would feel better about than sending him down to the AHL).  fingers crossed.  maybe Tedenby+Gio for a draft pick... altho most teams want you to take a roster body back nowadays, which is fine so long as they are on a 2-way contract.  we shall see.  always the long-shot chance that Salvador gets traded.

Yeah, I'm really surprised/disappointed that Gionta isn't on that list with Cam. I really expected Lou to pull the trigger on that one.

So the Larsson situation would do what exactly? Just buy more time to work something out before the Pittsburgh game?

This has me worried about what happens next year. Gelinas will be in Urbom's position. So will Burlon and Pesonen. While I don't think either of these players (Burlon and Pesonen) will help the Devils now, they do have NHL potential in my opinion. Hopefully Lou could get something for them.

Assuming no trade: I suppose Lou could temporarily send Larsson down to open a spot and IR Tedenby just to make the 3 PM deadline, right? Then maybe try to get either Gionta or Urbom through waivers after 3PM (Monday) and recall Larsson?

Assuming trade: Hate to say it because he's one of their best D, but the only player I see getting traded is Fayne. Then maybe temporarily send Larsson down or do the IR thing with Tedenby and then the sneaky waiver thing with Gionta after 3PM (Monday) when they recall Larsson?

Edited by thefiestygoat

Yeah barring something out of left field, we're headed towards one forward on IR and sending Larsson down for a day or two tomorrow to get under the roster deadline, then sneaking Urbom through when everyone's rosters are set (a la Butler last year) and recalling Larsson in time for Thursday. Then you have your 14-7-2 roster without anyone making an NHL salary in the AHL.  Unfortunately the forward going on IR might not be Tedenby since now Elias has a mysterious issue.

That isn't going to solve it forever though.  But I guess odds are with fourteen fowards, many of them older the fifteenth guy ain't sitting indefinitely.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Man if JJ is the one to get traded, I'm gonna be really upset.

What do you even get in return for him? He is not yet an established NHL player, but he's 4 years removed from his draft year. Whatever offer you give, it wouldn't seem too tempting to someone who has a limited idea of Josefson's game.

Man if JJ is the one to get traded, I'm gonna be really upset.

What do you even get in return for him? He is not yet an established NHL player, but he's 4 years removed from his draft year. Whatever offer you give, it wouldn't seem too tempting to someone who has a limited idea of Josefson's game.

what the leafs got for colborne maybe? Though at least he was a PPG player in the AHL though JJ's been better in the NHL