Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Nice, but those are relatively short. I wanna see some highrise fill-in in the core!

Well here are some renderings of buildings on the drawing board for Downtown Newark:

Across from Broad Street Station between Riverfront Stadium and the railroad tracks:

nej_422broadstnewark.jpg

Across Broad Street from City Hall:

999.jpg

Across from NJPAC:

large_rend.JPG

Next to Broad Street Station at the old Westinghouse Building's site:

historicaldesignconcept.jpg

Here's one proposed for the site between the Legal Center and McCarter Highway right on the river:

xy_D3853004-F682-4B5D-B916-EEF4231C.jpg

If at least a couple of these plans come to fruition I'd be happy for the progress.

Nice Pics NwkDevil! I would like to see if the Nets come, an identical practice facility to the Devils' built across Lafayette Street and then have a skybridge connecting it to the arena. Then have public basketball courts on the roof and have Ratner develop that site as an incentive to get them to move here.

(I might have posted this in the past but idk)

netsrockfac.jpg

Those are some nice proposals ND5 and I agree, if even a couple become reality it would be considered a success. I hope one day it attracts a developer to build a signature tower.

Well, I heard that at Donald Trump's business lectures, he says to invest in Newark but as far as we know, he hasn't (yet).

Alright, photobucket is giving me issues so I'll put pictures up later.

Outside the arena: Where the entry plaza is going to be, they have torn down buildings on Market Street (where a Dunkin Donuts was) and black topped it as a temperary measure. The building that used to house Mesa is still there. There are buildings along Market Street that look ready to be torn down. The Isley Building on Edison has a banner up saying "Brick City Bar and Grill Coming Soon" and that its opening in August. Nothing has happened at Triangle Park. The "Rock Your Red" signs on the routundas have been removed but the one on the Lafayette Lobby is still there. The Wesinghouse Factory is 90-95% torn down. The sidewalks on Broad Street up by Raymond have been torn up and the street seems like it will be repaved soon. They seemed to have done a little work on the skybridge connecting the arena and the garage but its not close to being done. Boroks has signs up about closing and stuff. It is right across Lafayette Street from the Ford Lincoln Mercury Parking Garage. A lot of businesses along Broad seem to have been bought out by Cosgwell reality (They renovated 1180 Raymond and 744 Broad).

Inside the arena: They put a sign up below the mural by the Ice Lounge talking about the painting of the mural and the faces and landmarks on it. In the Lafayette Lobby they painted the walls and it is covered with pictures of fans and players and stuff and says "Welcome to Prudential Center". Over by where the restaurant is going to go on the main concourse, they haven't done much but they have a few new doors in there for construction workers and a permit on the door to do construction. On the suite level they have new pictures of the arena and events that have happened there along the hallways. Inside the suites they have added some memorabilia (In the suite I was in there was an autographed Marty jersey).

Cory Booker was in the suite next to me and I talked with him for a few minutes. He was very nice. Then Mr.Vanderbeek was sitting on the floor in the first row infront of the stage and I said hi to him in the restaurant before the concert. It was an awesome show and the acoustics were absolutely perfect. The guy in the row infront of me in the box was saying how he saw a show at MSG and how the sound was horrible and that "they should have blown it up 30 years ago". Before the show there was one Ranger fan and he yelled 'lets go rangers' so most of the people in our box were Devils fans so I organized a "Let's Go Devils" chant and at the intermission we started one.

What concert did you see there?

I'm debating going Saturday for the Elite XC event hoping to see Kimbo Slice lose. Yes I know it won't happen because he is fighting another bum but I want to see that over hyped and overrated guy lose.

I saw the Eagles. They were there Sat. and Sun.

Any luck with the pictures yet?

Stupid photobucket only lets me download two pictures at a time and then even if I reboot the computer, it still doesn't download the remaining pictures.

YAY! Fixed it! OK....

Here's the Westinghouse Factory site.

TheEaglesTheRock001.jpg

Here's the area behind the garage. with the old NJ Central Train Station on the left. This is from the same angle as the Paint project that I posted a few weeks ago.

TheEaglesTheRock002.jpg

Here's the Lafayette Lobby's new painting on the wall.

TheEaglesTheRock003.jpg

Here's the entry plaza from Market Street looking towards the arena.

TheEaglesTheRock005.jpg

Here's the entry plaza from the midddle of the plaza looking towards Market Street.

TheEaglesTheRock004.jpg

Here's the Isley Building on Edison Place with Brick City B&G going in the bottom.

TheEaglesTheRock006.jpg

Here's the picture describing the mural.

TheEaglesTheRock009.jpg

Here's one of the many pictures along the suite level of events at the arena from the past year.

TheEaglesTheRock008.jpg

Here's the site of where the "tropical themed" restaurant is supposed to go along the main concourse.

TheEaglesTheRock007.jpg

I switched to using the bulk uploader so I got it to work.

YAY! Fixed it! OK....

Here's the area behind the garage. with the old NJ Central Train Station on the left. This is from the same angle as the Paint project that I posted a few weeks ago.

TheEaglesTheRock002.jpg

I really would like to see some work done on this since it will really open up the Arena to Broad Street and the rest of Downtown. Right now its kind of in its own little world in which you've got to walk a block off Broad Street to get to the entrance. Suddenly all the people parking in the Purple areas can walk down Broad to the entrance.

I saw the Eagles. They were there Sat. and Sun.

Me too (Sunday). Talk about incredible luck-- got 1st row center tickets from Ticketmaster 3 days before the concert. I love when they release the special tix a few days before the show. They were great.

I really would like to see some work done on this since it will really open up the Arena to Broad Street and the rest of Downtown. Right now its kind of in its own little world in which you've got to walk a block off Broad Street to get to the entrance. Suddenly all the people parking in the Purple areas can walk down Broad to the entrance.

Yes, absolutely. I know that was mentioned when the arena was in the planning to early construction stages but nothing has been mentioned in the past year or two. I wonder if that has been scrapped or is just on hold.

Me too (Sunday). Talk about incredible luck-- got 1st row center tickets from Ticketmaster 3 days before the concert. I love when they release the special tix a few days before the show. They were great.

That's awesome!

The Newark Planning Board approved the old buildings (like the ones along Broad Street) to be renovated and retrofitted to have lofts on the top floors of them. As I've said, take the overhangs off of them and powerwash them and the streets will look great.

Link

"Postage Not Included" over at HFBoards, took a tour of The Rock and he had some info on Triangle Park and the entry plaza.

"They are planning to start construction soon on the park and plan to have a giant (around 20 foot) Prudential Rock at the front of it. They said this is planned for next season, but he seemed doubtful since no construction was under way."
"There was some mention of putting some type of statue of Brodeur or Stevens by the PNC entry tower (where they placed the Pru symbol and Devils symbol mid-way last season) after they knock more buildings down, but he seemed to indicate that this has not been finalized or set in stone."

On another note, he said that Vanderbeek's office is right next to the restaurant and that the tour guide said that most of the players will be at the party on Friday.