Brodeur Appreciation Thread

redruM

Who's bashing? I swear you pull this crap all the time by seeing things that aren't there or happening. All this so you can come here and feel high and mighty. Stop it already.

+1. It would have been easier to hit the up arrow and score it, but this is so truthful it needs to be quoted again.

From Tri:

This isn't true.

Shots on goal per game were slightly lower during that time but not much  (see here:  http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_ShotsPerGame.php).  Most of the reason why the 'dead puck' era happened is that goalies got way better.

I know you weren't really watching hockey back then (Live Puck), but I was, and yeah, all you have to do is look up highlights and some full game recordings and you'll see that there were some truly bad goaltenders playing back then.  What's funny is that some guys who were considered to be terrific when they first arrived (like Ron Hextall) in Live Puck and were considered shaky later in their careers really didn't get any worse...the younger goalies that were coming up were simply that much better.  John Vanbiesbrouck won a friggin' Vezina with an .887 save% in the 80s.  The one guy who truly was a terrific puck stopper in both eras was Patrick Roy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

and what was once an appreciation thread turned into a bitching thread about spelling .. i cant wait until the whole season is over just to see what ends up happening around here during the off season.. really curious to see what ends up happening with this guy brodeur i still think he will be back again next season.

From Tri:

This isn't true.

Shots on goal per game were slightly lower during that time but not much  (see here:  http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_ShotsPerGame.php).  Most of the reason why the 'dead puck' era happened is that goalies got way better.

I know you weren't really watching hockey back then (Live Puck), but I was, and yeah, all you have to do is look up highlights and some full game recordings and you'll see that there were some truly bad goaltenders playing back then.  What's funny is that some guys who were considered to be terrific when they first arrived (like Ron Hextall) in Live Puck and were considered shaky later in their careers really didn't get any worse...the younger goalies that were coming up were simply that much better.  John Vanbiesbrouck won a friggin' Vezina with an .887 save% in the 80s.  The one guy who truly was a terrific puck stopper in both eras was Patrick Roy. 

Don't know when the Live Puck Era ended, but Marty had a very good save percentage in his rookie year (.915).  Roy's save percentage went up and down during the 80s and throughout the early 90s.  It was sub-.900 as late as 92-93.

So it appears that "the trap" and "clutching and grabbing" probably reduced shots and shot quality somewhat after the 1995 season. 

But if you want any indication of how much better the goalies are today, just look at this picture of Cory and Chico (who was considered a decent goalie for his era).

BlRhnVmIEAAD69u.jpg 

And let's not even talk about the pads, which, even after the reduced sizes, are much bigger than in Chico's days. 

Live Puck was starting to wind down as Marty came into the league. 

Roy led the NHL in save% four out of five seasons in Live Puck, ('87-'88 .900, '88-'89 .908, '89-'90 .912, '91-92 .914).  He was doing the .900+ thing consistently when no one else really was.  He was terrific, relative to his peers, in both eras. 

Expansion definitely watered down the overall talent throughout the league, and helped pave the way for clutchers, grabbers, and fringe talents to find their way onto NHL rosters.  But even with that, goaltenders were definitely improving overall.  There's guys from the 80s/early 90s that, when you look back, you wonder how they ever held NHL jobs.