Earnest Congratulations To The Devils

Triumph

oh the memories of having an exciting talented team to be proud of and to watch.. i really hope they scoop up one strong goal scorer this off season we need some excitement back.. and i wouldnt mind taking brian gionta back but please dont let him fill the slot for the goal scorer we need we need someone young

Not saying the last two seasons have been fun, but at least we haven't suffered through a "no-chance from start-to-finish" kind of season since the 80s.  Even in 2010-11, the Devils actually made themselves semi-relevant, which is a miracle when you start a season 10-29-2.   

I have nothing to base this on, other than gut feeling and hope, but I get the feeling we're in for a surprise or two this offseason.  I think Lou has to sell Cory on why should he sign a long-term deal with the Devils, and I think part of that sales pitch will include Lou making at least one bold move.  No to Brian Gionta...nothing against him, I'm just tired of going that route.   

Not saying the last two seasons have been fun, but at least we haven't suffered through a "no-chance from start-to-finish" kind of season since the 80s.  Even in 2010-11, the Devils actually made themselves semi-relevant, which is a miracle when you start a season 10-29-2.   

I have nothing to base this on, other than gut feeling and hope, but I get the feeling we're in for a surprise or two this offseason.  I think Lou has to sell Cory on why should he sign a long-term deal with the Devils, and I think part of that sales pitch will include Lou making at least one bold move.  No to Brian Gionta...nothing against him, I'm just tired of going that route.

i agree and disagree.... while going through the season atleast they havent completely sucked has been a plus but when the time comes towards the end of the regular season and theyre hanging on by threads it just sucks.. id rather be a lock for a spot or eliminated early because that little bit of hope the team always gives us and then they fail is a terrible feeling for a fan.. and i wouldnt mind having brian but i dont want him to be the fill for that goal scorer that we need.. we need something younger and better than what he can provide.

i agree and disagree.... while going through the season atleast they havent completely sucked has been a plus but when the time comes towards the end of the regular season and theyre hanging on by threads it just sucks.. id rather be a lock for a spot or eliminated early because that little bit of hope the team always gives us and then they fail is a terrible feeling for a fan.. and i wouldnt mind having brian but i dont want him to be the fill for that goal scorer that we need.. we need something younger and better than what he can provide.

Thing is for the money that it will take for Brian to come to NJ, he would be an overpaid 3rd liner (we already have that in Clowe) and that would take cap space away from a player who could make a difference.  While we should have a good amount of cap space for next season, just remember to earmark a good chunk of that for Schneider which will probably be what it takes to lock him up.

I think hanging on by a thread this season until about 3 games to go was better than being complete out of it by the end of March.  If we would have ended up as one of the bottom 5 teams then that would have really sucked if the best we could get was the 30th overall pick.  At least with the way the Devils record ended up being I think our top pick would have been in the 8-12 range I think?  In a weak draft like this I could deal with losing that and instead pick 30.

2ELIAS6, yes, it's not a great feeling when they come up short just at the end, but being out of it early isn't much better.  I'm not saying this is the case with you specifically, but some fans assume that if a season derails early enough, you simply trade aging assets for prospects and picks, and away you go...you're automatically consistently relevant again within a season or two.  Doesn't always work that way.

That being said, obviously at some point, you draw the line somewhere.  If 2010-11 had never gotten better, it would've been interesting to see what Lou would've done, how far he would've gone.

2ELIAS6, yes, it's not a great feeling when they come up short just at the end, but being out of it early isn't much better.  I'm not saying this is the case with you specifically, but some fans assume that if a season derails early enough, you simply trade aging assets for prospects and picks, and away you go...you're automatically consistently relevant again within a season or two.  Doesn't always work that way.

That being said, obviously at some point, you draw the line somewhere.  If 2010-11 had never gotten better, it would've been interesting to see what Lou would've done, how far he would've gone.

Lou did do a lot late in the 2010-11 season and that summer after.  He got rid of Arnott, Rolston and White.  He also got rid of a few others whom I am not remember right off the top of my head but he did dump more than he usually does in an off-season.

DM84, he did make some moves in 2010-11 (traded Langs too in-season), but if it had been a 25-win season, would he have gone even further?  No way to know, just wondering. 

DM84, he did make some moves in 2010-11 (traded Langs too in-season), but if it had been a 25-win season, would he have gone even further?  No way to know, just wondering. 

I don't think so.  The only reason why is because of the night and day season under 2 different coaches.  I think when he compared the record they had under MacLean and then with Lemaire, he figured it was more of a coaching problem and less of a personnel problem.  I mean there was Langs being a bit of a poison pill in the locker room but he shipped him out fairly quick.  After that what else other than cutting the absolute dead weight did he need to do?

Might've tried to make that move for Schneider earlier.  It was only going to be goaltending that was going to keep that season terrible once they changed coaches.

I don't think so.  The only reason why is because of the night and day season under 2 different coaches.  I think when he compared the record they had under MacLean and then with Lemaire, he figured it was more of a coaching problem and less of a personnel problem.  I mean there was Langs being a bit of a poison pill in the locker room but he shipped him out fairly quick.  After that what else other than cutting the absolute dead weight did he need to do?

Keep in mind the scenario I was discussing was if Lemaire hadn't made much difference, and the Devils finished with 25-30 wins, and several games under NHL .500.  Would he have actually traded someone like Elias (I say probably not, but if the team had a year-long bottom-out without ever recovering)?   

Might've tried to make that move for Schneider earlier.  It was only going to be goaltending that was going to keep that season terrible once they changed coaches.

Interesting, in that Schneider hadn't played that many NHL games to that point...he'd made just six starts before the start of the '10-'11 season, and in '10-'11 was clearly a backup.  Even with that, he was clearly projected to be something good, so I'm guessing Cory would've cost Lou his 2011 first-rounder (at the very least, I'd guess Vancouver would've started there).   

I recall their record being relatively good following the coaching change, to the point that they crawled back into the playoff discussion.  And Hedberg actually wasn't that bad for the 35 games he played.  And the following year, the Devils got to 103 points despite, going by the save percentage, the goaltending being worse overall. 

2010-2011 was a disaster because of Johnny Mac, and in part from Parise missing most of the year.  2006-2007 Marty might have mitigated that enough to be an above .500 team, but that's about it. 

It's interesting though that I seem to recall talk that Lou had been chasing Schneider for a while.  It's possible that the interest went back to before the 2010-2011 season.  You had Marty's contract ending the next year, which would have been at about the exact time that Schneider would be expected to be getting 65 to 70 starts.  For further intrigue, I wonder if the cap crunch brought on by the Kovy deal might have had something to do with a deal not happening. 

I really wish that Lou writes a tell all book some day.

For me , it's the Playoffs I miss, not the players.

Sure I don't have to stay up late watching hockey now.  I can say yes to any dinner invitations I get now.  I can go to mid-day 4H meetings on a Saturday without fear of missing a game.  My Spring is gloriously filled with personal hobbies and activity and the outdoors.

but nothing compares.....

nothing compares...

to the playoffs  :(

(but piss on those whiney egomaniac softy player who were too pantywaste to re-up wiht the team.  'mos.  Who needs em?  Really?  there was no cup with those fruitcake candy asses and they wont be seeing one due to their own efforts either -- unless something in their softy self-indulgent lives changes  <_<  jackasses, the lot of them.  But hey I'm all for human beings doing what they want in life, so nothign personal at the end of the day.  But if they choose to leave I do NOT want them back - fvck no! LOSING inthe finals is NOT my idea of the good ole days  :yack:  :unsure:  oops... I mean :barf:  awe sh!t!  wtf do I mean  :puke:?)

Edited by Pepperkorn