Historic Devils Auction Listing

grcenter47

Stan Fischler always seemed to favor the Rags even though he tried his hardest to be bipartisan on tv.

If Stan had to admit it on the QT, he bleeds blue. He was the one time President of the Rangers Fan Club (back when this was a much bigger deal) and a team publicist. I think he has a genuine affection for the Devils and the Islanders, too. He loves the sport and has a vast knowledge of it. He's written some good books, too, But, he's an acquired taste so it's easy to see how some fans can find fault with him.  

Saw that Butch Goring is auctioning of a bunch of stuff (rings, jerseys, mini-Cups, etc...I'm assuming he's the one putting most, if not all, of those items up).  Funny, I guess it does get to a point where, as much as we fans might think of these items as sacred entities, to former players, it all eventually just becomes "stuff" that's taking up space and is no longer special (of course, it could be something as simple as "I need money!").  I guess it probably reaches a point where, for some of these guys, if they ever had a room where they had a "shroud" set up with their trophies, maybe a framed jersey or two and some other memorabilia, one day they just look at it all and say "Man, I'm not that guy anymore, what am I really trying to prove with all of this stuff on display, I'm an old man now!"  If it's between a closet and making some money off it, I can see why some former athletes start selling this stuff off...it's still hard for me to picture, but then again I'll never be in their shoes.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Alls I'm saying is that those rings look nothing like the ones on the Devils' website. Why is that?

the only plausible explanation other than them being fake is that there might be different quality of rings for different people in the organization.

I vaguely remember seeing something on some tv show a few years ago about a Super Bowl ring from the 90s that belonged to a team's trainer being for sale, and it wasn't the same one as what was given to players and management. Basically the team cheaped out and got lesser quality for some guys, so when it went up for sale it wasn't as valuable as the other rings.

the only plausible explanation other than them being fake is that there might be different quality of rings for different people in the organization.

I vaguely remember seeing something on some tv show a few years ago about a Super Bowl ring from the 90s that belonged to a team's trainer being for sale, and it wasn't the same one as what was given to players and management. Basically the team cheaped out and got lesser quality for some guys, so when it went up for sale it wasn't as valuable as the other rings.

I think I know what show you saw that on:

20120928-184228.jpg?w=590

An acquaintance of mine worked for the Devs as a ticket guy.........many people might know him, named Dave...........he has 2 SC rings also (maybe 3, but I think just the last 2).   He absolutely hates the Devs (or hated them) because he abhorred Verderbeek, who fired him and others.

He's got them in a safety deposit box.

Gordie Howe showed me one of his SC rings.......all I could think as I drooled was that sucker is gonna be worth probably around $200,000 at some point.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

lol that might be it... Although I like the pickers better, they at least take what most owners think is just junk.

My problem with the pickers is that they seem to almost exclusively target decrepit old people who have absolutely no clue about the value of any of the stuff they have. Then, they mercilessly rip off these old foagies and brag about how they paid $20 for this vintage piece of whatever and they're going to turn around and sell it to some hipster for $500. At least on Pawn Stars they're upfront with the fact that they have to buy low and sell high to keep their business going, and they tend to make more reasonable offers compared to what they plan to sell it for. At least, that's what they show on TV. Who knows what really goes on. Also Chum Lee looks like a complete tool with his capped teeth in the new season.

Sorry for the non-Devils post.

Saw that Butch Goring is auctioning of a bunch of stuff (rings, jerseys, mini-Cups, etc...I'm assuming he's the one putting most, if not all, of those items up).  Funny, I guess it does get to a point where, as much as we fans might think of these items as sacred entities, to former players, it all eventually just becomes "stuff" that's taking up space and is no longer special (of course, it could be something as simple as "I need money!").  I guess it probably reaches a point where, for some of these guys, if they ever had a room where they had a "shroud" set up with their trophies, maybe a framed jersey or two and some other memorabilia, one day they just look at it all and say "Man, I'm not that guy anymore, what am I really trying to prove with all of this stuff on display, I'm an old man now!"  If it's between a closet and making some money off it, I can see why some former athletes start selling this stuff off...it's still hard for me to picture, but then again I'll never be in their shoes.   

In Stan's case (and maybe I'm speculating here), he is 80+ years old and if his family doesn't want to keep the memorabilia it probably makes more sense for him to sell stuff now and get money to leave them instead of rings that don't mean much to them anyway.

I like Pickers because there have been instances where the seller offered what they thought was too little and paid them more. They've also donated stuff as well.

Pawn Stars is funny because there is always someone who gets an item appraised for like 3000 dollars retail and then they want Rick to buy it for 3000 dollars.

Interesting little tidbit on Stan...I remember in an old old hockey digest of mine that the first team he actually rooted for were the old NY Americans

To me he always seems to favor the Isles

I first remember hearing/seeing Stan in between periods of Islanders broadcasts on SportsChannel when they were in the midst of their Dynasty run. I just figured he was an Islanders guy.

And then when he was doing a lot of Devils broadcasts for a while there in the '90s, I thought he had become a big Devils guy.

I guess what I'm saying is while Stan can be a polarizing figure with his outspokenness, he usually does a good job with the team he's covering IMO.

I like Pickers because there have been instances where the seller offered what they thought was too little and paid them more. They've also donated stuff as well.

Pawn Stars is funny because there is always someone who gets an item appraised for like 3000 dollars retail and then they want Rick to buy it for 3000 dollars.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but all these shows are scripted and staged as professional wrestling.