2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Then he can come back somewhere else. Listen, I love Marty as much as the next Devils fan and I'm eternally grateful for everything he's done for this organization- but Marty doesn't run the NJ Devils. His contract is up after this year. Lou needs to sit down and tell him the hard truth- that this is it. That unless you're cool with a back-up role next year, this is the end of the line. Corey is supposed to be the future- well, it's time for Lou to put his foot down on that. We didn't give up a top 10 pick to have Schneider walk away after two years and sign with the Penguins.

I wish Cory hadn't gotten that injury when he did. Marty was pretty much accepting the back up spot, but then got those starts and won a few when the team had been struggling, and that was all Deboer needed to ride him some more. We need Cory to steal a couple in between Marty losing a couple to shift the momentum back.

Then he can come back somewhere else. Listen, I love Marty as much as the next Devils fan and I'm eternally grateful for everything he's done for this organization- but Marty doesn't run the NJ Devils. His contract is up after this year. Lou needs to sit down and tell him the hard truth- that this is it. That unless you're cool with a back-up role next year, this is the end of the line. Corey is supposed to be the future- well, it's time for Lou to put his foot down on that. We didn't give up a top 10 pick to have Schneider walk away after two years and sign with the Penguins.

Thats not on Lou that's on DeBoer mostly, its like he's trying to piss off our "future" and upcoming free agents on purpose, it's like shaking food in their face just to throw it to every single vet on their last leg that will be gone soon.

After the whole ordeal in Vancouver to inconsistent playing time and lack of goal support in NJ, I can't even imagine Schneider's frustration level. I'm really worried Brodeur is going to decide to come back next year which means we can say goodbye to Schneider.

That's not really what that would mean.  The season isn't over yet.  If Brodeur came back, Schneider would have yet another shot at winning the starting job, again.  And Brodeur would likely be worse than he's been the last 4 years which is already pretty bad.

The biggest surprise so far this year is that Brodeur hasn't gotten hurt.

That's not really what that would mean.  The season isn't over yet.  If Brodeur came back, Schneider would have yet another shot at winning the starting job, again.  And Brodeur would likely be worse than he's been the last 4 years which is already pretty bad.

The biggest surprise so far this year is that Brodeur hasn't gotten hurt.

I have to disagree. I think the Devils need to sign Schneider to an extension this summer otherwise he's going to test the market. Once he's out there anything can happen. If Brodeur comes back next year I can't see why Schneider would sign an extension with NJ. I sure as hell wouldn't. I doubt he wants to spend another year sharing the net.

It's also not about how bad Brodeur is. If he's around, he's going to play whether he deserves to or not. I'm going to be pissed if the Devils gave up the 9th pick for 2 half years of a goalie.

I have to disagree. I think the Devils need to sign Schneider to an extension this summer otherwise he's going to test the market. Once he's out there anything can happen. If Brodeur comes back next year I can't see why Schneider would sign an extension with NJ. I sure as hell wouldn't. I doubt he wants to spend another year sharing the net.

It's also not about how bad Brodeur is. If he's around, he's going to play whether he deserves to or not. I'm going to be pissed if the Devils gave up the 9th pick for 2 half years of a goalie.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said fiesty. Marty has to understand the circumstances here. We gave up a top 10 pick for the guy we want to be his successor. That's a significant investment by the organization. Marty isn't stupid, I think he saw the writing on the wall when that move was made. He has to understand that if he still wants to play next season, he'll probably have to go somewhere else unless he's willing to take a clear-cut back-up role where he's playing 30 games (which 'aint happening, let's be honest). Its a tough spot for the organization and the fans because obviously we don't want to disrespect Marty, or forget what he's done here. But the time has come. This is it. It was decided when the Schneider trade was made AFAIC. I don't want Marty to be one of those guys who holds on too long, but I'm worried he may. I just want him to retire, I don't want to see him in a fvcking Toronto jersey or some bullsh!t next year. But- and it KILLS me to have to say it- I'd rather see him wearing another team's jersey next year than a Devils jersey if it means he's playing 45-50 games and Schneider is on the first flight out of EWR.

The thing is that the less Schneider plays (and worse he plays) the lower his price is on the open market.  Right now, are the Penguins really willing to ditch Fleury and go with Schneider?  And is Schneider willing to pass up a large contract offer from NJ for free agency, where again, right now he doesn't have the pristine numbers he had coming to NJ?  Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

The thing is that the less Schneider plays (and worse he plays) the lower his price is on the open market.  Right now, are the Penguins really willing to ditch Fleury and go with Schneider?  And is Schneider willing to pass up a large contract offer from NJ for free agency, where again, right now he doesn't have the pristine numbers he had coming to NJ?  Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

Yeah, gambling that another gm miiiight not throw big money at him and if one does we'll have to all be happy that were not overpaying for him while no one else can get the job done... Sounds somewhat familiar.

We have to sign him to an extension this summer theres no way around it, we simply cannot take the risk to even put him in a situation where he could walk.

Yeah, gambling that another gm miiiight not throw big money at him and if one does we'll have to all be happy that were not overpaying for him while no one else can get the job done... Sounds somewhat familiar.

We have to sign him to an extension this summer theres no way around it, we simply cannot take the risk to even put him in a situation where he could walk.

but the way that lou works he will wait until a day before free agency to talk to him.. yup

You know what the goalie market is on July 1.  It's not hard to figure out who will be interested and who won't be.  You can cross 20 teams off right away.

I don't know if Schneider would be inclined to sign an extension given the year he's having, and the Devils can't really offer him the Tuukka Rask type contract I imagine he wants.

Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

No, but he can still be excellent in spurts (like any other goalie) and that leeches starts from Schneider, which is kind of what has happened this year. Any goalie can get hot but when it's a career back-up doing it people don't think much of it, he goes back to the bench. With Marty they seem to think "he's still got it, let's ride him" and they do it too much.

You know what the goalie market is on July 1.  It's not hard to figure out who will be interested and who won't be.  You can cross 20 teams off right away.

I don't know if Schneider would be inclined to sign an extension given the year he's having, and the Devils can't really offer him the Tuukka Rask type contract I imagine he wants.

No but he could sign a bridge contract like 2 years, would give him a few seasons to prove himself as a starter then he could sign his long term.

Lou has to understand that with the circonstances (no scoring help now, no scoring coming help in our system, team is not necessarily on the up future wise, all the top players leaving soon, Lou's done soon too, lots of uncertainties) he can't play hardball and gamble or take chances. 

I just hope Marty isn't determined to get 700 wins. If he is he will definitely be back next year and he'll get every opportunity from Lou/Pete. This team shouldn't have to suffer for him to reach a milestone no one will ever break anyway.

After a lot of thinking about it, I understand why Lou lets his guys hit free agency. He wants the people who want to play in NJ for this team. He gives them the opportunity to show their loyalty and desire to play for us. Now IMO that's actually pretty cool, but that should only be the case for players that were brought up in our system. Someone like Corey who was traded into our organization has no reason to be loyal to us at this point. Lou has to do everything he can to lock up Corey next year.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

No, but he can still be excellent in spurts (like any other goalie) and that leeches starts from Schneider, which is kind of what has happened this year. Any goalie can get hot but when it's a career back-up doing it people don't think much of it, he goes back to the bench. With Marty they seem to think "he's still got it, let's ride him" and they do it too much.

That is true.  I still think back to that Montreal game - I think that's where Schneider officially lost DeBoer, at least for a time, and he certainly didn't get him back giving up 3 or more goals in each of his next 5 games.  Brodeur has been awful in several games, but he hasn't blown a game late with poor goaltending.  I guess that's what he'll have to do to start getting Schneider the starts.  

That is true.  I still think back to that Montreal game - I think that's where Schneider officially lost DeBoer, at least for a time, and he certainly didn't get him back giving up 3 or more goals in each of his next 5 games.  Brodeur has been awful in several games, but he hasn't blown a game late with poor goaltending.  I guess that's what he'll have to do to start getting Schneider the starts.  

the chicago game is not recent enough in your memory?

The Blue Jackets game was as bad as it gets.

The thing is that the less Schneider plays (and worse he plays) the lower his price is on the open market. Right now, are the Penguins really willing to ditch Fleury and go with Schneider? And is Schneider willing to pass up a large contract offer from NJ for free agency, where again, right now he doesn't have the pristine numbers he had coming to NJ? Remember, Brodeur is 42 at the end of this season - he really cannot be expected to play more than another year and he can't be expected to be the starter next year, either.

I don't usually agree with sterio but you have to know that all it takes is one gm to do something dumb like offer an insane contract, and there are plenty of teams out there desperate for goaltending with dumb gms.

I doubt his play this season has much bearing on his contract, he will still be held in high regard come next offseason.

Look at us signing Clowe, the guy couldn't score to save his life for a year and was a known as a injury prone player and at risk, overpaid and signed him forever. 

There's no way Schneider's value drop just cause he plays less games, look what Bernier got in a trade and was barely playing, same with Varlamorv

Edited by SterioDesign

Look at us signing Clowe, the guy couldn't score to save his life for a year and was a known as a injury prone player and at risk, overpaid and signed him forever. 

There's no way Schneider's value drop just cause he plays less games, look what Bernier got in a trade and was barely playing, same with Varlamorv

speaking of clowe I like his physical play but I feel like hes never going to score a goal he just doesnt seem like hes ever in a good position

Bernier wasn't traded for all that much, considering.  Schneider isn't a young goalie any more - he was drafted in the same draft as Travis Zajac.  

Teams like signing guys they think are sure things, like Clowe, who had a nice career up until last year.  Schneider is on pace to start less than 40 games this year - if he gets hurt next year or for whatever reason doesn't play more than 40, are teams really lining up with their 7 year contracts for him?

Bernier wasn't traded for all that much, considering.  Schneider isn't a young goalie any more - he was drafted in the same draft as Travis Zajac.  

Teams like signing guys they think are sure things, like Clowe, who had a nice career up until last year.  Schneider is on pace to start less than 40 games this year - if he gets hurt next year or for whatever reason doesn't play more than 40, are teams really lining up with their 7 year contracts for him?

My point is we're gonna have to sign him no matter what, with that we gave up and all we absolutely have to sign him.

So why even take the risk to put ourselves in a situation where it would be out of our hands? The "loyal" thing is BS now, Lou has to understand its 2014 now and money talk and we're not as appealing as we we're before, it just take one team to be slightly better than us throwing similar money and we could lose him. 

So if we can sign him earlier why no one else is bidding, why the fvck not? Why even take the risk? its absolutely useless. We can debate and stipulate all day long that "maybe schneider's agent would push him to test free agency to get more money" if a GM and a player really want to make a deal, they'll make one. You see it around the league all season long.  

Urbom on waivers. Any thoughts? If claimed by any team, does he have to stay on roster for 30 days?

He doesn't have a spot here. The Devils exposed him on waivers to begin with for a reason. I always liked the guy, but Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, etc all passed him on the depth chart.

My point is we're gonna have to sign him no matter what, with that we gave up and all we absolutely have to sign him.

So why even take the risk to put ourselves in a situation where it would be out of our hands? The "loyal" thing is BS now, Lou has to understand its 2014 now and money talk and we're not as appealing as we we're before, it just take one team to be slightly better than us throwing similar money and we could lose him. 

So if we can sign him earlier why no one else is bidding, why the fvck not? Why even take the risk? its absolutely useless. We can debate and stipulate all day long that "maybe schneider's agent would push him to test free agency to get more money" if a GM and a player really want to make a deal, they'll make one. You see it around the league all season long.  

He can't even sign a contract until July 1 of this year, so there's no reason to panic just yet.