More from Sutter.

SatansDevils

From the sounds of Sutter's interview he sounds really excited about this team now with the additions of Holik and Rolston and the re-signings of pandolfo and Salvador. Also Halischuk is being mentioned in the interview to see if he is ready for the NHL.

Sorry if this has been posted already but didn't see it here.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

More from Sutter

I was never able to fit in the rest of my interview with Brent Sutter earlier this week, so I decided to post it here.

Plus, we needed a new post to continue the conversation.

What do you think of the team's defense as it is now?

"We have seven guys back and then we've got some young kids who will be competing for jobs too both on defense and at forward. To me, this is the first year you are going some young kids coming in like (Matt) Halischuk and some other kids coming out of junior."

(Note: The Devils actually have eight defensemen under contract -- Martin, Salvador, White, Oduya, Greene, Brookbank, Mottau, Vishnevski)

That's interesting SD, maybe with the competition from the young guns we already have a #1 puck moving D-man but just don't know it yet, it would be awesome if one or two rookies make the big squad, meaning we wouldn't have to make a trade right now, this could end up being a blessing in disguise because Gionta and Zajac both may have re-bound seasons where Travis nets 30 and Gio nets 35, added to Elias-Parise and Rolstons contributions.

I do feel however that even if a trade/salary dump does not happen before the season starts, something will happen at the trade deadline, but that would depend of where we are in the standings.

As always, I'm looking forward to the new season with hope and excitement.

However unlikely, this is one thing that would be absolutely astronomical and awesome at the samw time.

Martin Brodeur gets win #552 and shutout #104 IN THE SAME GAME :boogie::dance:

Must we read something between the line about his mistake about the number of defenseman under contract ?

(must be just a simple mistake... but... still... )

Maybe Lou has traded a D-man already and Sutter does not know yet, Lou may announce it today :koolaid:

Didn't Brookbank or Mottau sign a new contract that had AHL bound written all over it? I am getting all the slag heap defensemen mixed up these days.

I coulda swore Brookbank signed a contract with a league in Europe, and Lou simply signed him to a contract to maintain his NHL rights more than anything else.

Didn't Brookbank or Mottau sign a new contract that had AHL bound written all over it? I am getting all the slag heap defensemen mixed up these days.

No I do not believe either (not 100% sure) is a 2 way contract. Both were reasonable 2 year contracts.

Brookbank is slated as the #7 defenseman.

Mattau has clearly earned a starting spot next year. The concept is for him not to be our #2 or #3 d-man as he was last year. As a #5 or #6 earning 14TOI with some 2pp time, he will be a fan favorite. Mattau will look fine unless we have him out there versus Malkin again.

I believe we will go with 7 d-men this year. So I'm guessing 2 of the 8 we have will not be on the starting team

...and my guess for goners are Greene and VV.

Martin-White

Oduya-Acquired Player via Trade or FA

Mattau-Salvador

or if we do not get anyone new

Martin-White

Oduya-Salvador

Mattau-Corrente or Halischuk or that Swedish Player we got

And yes my lines say White will be given another shot and being a #2, which I believe they will do.

And your puck movers are Martin, Oduya and Mattau

Martin-White

Oduya-Salvador

Mattau-Corrente or Halischuk or that Swedish Player we got

Isn't Halischuk a forward ?

rhaaa... tss... next time i will learn the whole thread before saying something...

Edited by moustic

Meant Fraser

ok ok.. it's ok for this time... but don't do that again ! Never Ever !

wait...

mmmh... ok someone told me that you're just Big Chief and that you can make all mistake you want...

Did i told you how beautiful you look today ?

That's interesting SD, maybe with the competition from the young guns we already have a #1 puck moving D-man but just don't know it yet, it would be awesome if one or two rookies make the big squad, meaning we wouldn't have to make a trade right now, this could end up being a blessing in disguise because Gionta and Zajac both may have re-bound seasons where Travis nets 30 and Gio nets 35, added to Elias-Parise and Rolstons contributions.

I do feel however that even if a trade/salary dump does not happen before the season starts, something will happen at the trade deadline, but that would depend of where we are in the standings.

As always, I'm looking forward to the new season with hope and excitement.

However unlikely, this is one thing that would be absolutely astronomical and awesome at the samw time.

Martin Brodeur gets win #552 and shutout #104 IN THE SAME GAME :boogie::dance:

Totally agree with you here NZT! :)

Need a trade or dump some salry and need a puck moving defenseman to also play QB on the PP. This is going to be a very good year and season for the Devils. Just have that feeling.