[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

I think his lack of contract has less to do with his abilities and more of a numbers game. He's got skills but only one season of NHL experience so he's still a big question of will he be able to keep up his production. With the cap dropping and teams not having much flexibility I think they would rather take risks on Dmen or Goaltending. Even if he doesn't fit on the Devils he will definitely sign somewhere, once teams get an idea of what their rosters look like and what prospects are and are not ready I think at least one team would be willing to take a chance with his potential. Thats why I want him playing here.

I have no idea what the roster is going to look like, to be honest (assuming Brunner gets signed). I want all of Josefson, Loktionov, and Olesz to be playing every game, but it's going to be hard to make that happen.

PDB is apparently very high on Olesz, so this may mean Josefson and Loktionov will be sharing a position until an injury opens up another spot. It sucks if that's the case, but I'm in favor of whatever will make the team better now and in the future. Hopefully it doesn't hinder the development of either of Josefson or Loktionov.

Really hope they sign him eventually. Even if Jagr isn't as hurt as bad as some believe right now, he will still miss games this year so having Brunner is nice cover on the depth chart for that. Wouldn't mind if Gionta got waived to help clear up spot.

This. I just don't see any need for Gionta anymore. Devils have just too many players that can play in the bottom 6 that are better than him.

This. I just don't see any need for Gionta anymore. Devils have just too many players that can play in the bottom 6 that are better than him.

and we have too many defensemen that are better than Salvador but they're not waiving either of them. DeBoer likes Gionta. He's not going anywhere even if he should 

Would they have to waive Gionta? Doesn't he have a 2 way making him AHL eligible?

A two-way or one-way contract doesn't have anything to do with AHL eligibility or waiver-eligibility.  Gionta does have a two-way contract this year meaning he gets paid less money if he's in the AHL, but he's also eligible for waivers.  I think he'd pass through, and wouldn't cry if he was taken, but who knows.  

Obviously I agree with the consensus that Gionta is simply not good enough to merit a spot on the team, but he's earned the right to be the first callup.

Edited by Triumph

I honestly believe PDB had on his "wish list" a right handed fw w/ speed and Bruner fit's that bill.  I watched playoff games w/ detroit last year and Babcock won't put an irresponsible player on top two lines. And he wasn't playing with Zetterberg to boost his (bruners) numbers.I know he's not a lock but being a righty really helps.

I think there are two big issues here. First, as many have alluded to, the cap has gone down and teams are more focused on locking up the top line guys right now and piecing together the rest of the roster as best they can (knowing the cap will be going back up eventually). There were plenty of big signings, trades and contract extensions for "#1 guys" this offseason despite the cap situation.

More telling in this case is that Brunner is 27 years old.  Initially, he and his agent were probably not really interested in taking 750K- 1.25M for a year or two as a bridge. He wants to make big money now considering his time in the NHL will most likely be shorter than other players in their only their second season. The fact that no one else pulled the trigger on this guy leads us to believe the asking price was over the top.

Hopefully PDB finds a spot for him because all signs point to him being an upgrade compared to some of the other guys likely to make the bug club. I'm sure he will be compensated fairly and a bigger deal may only be a year or two away.

More telling in this case is that Brunner is 27 years old.  Initially, he and his agent were probably not really interested in taking 750K- 1.25M for a year or two as a bridge. He wants to make big money now considering his time in the NHL will most likely be shorter than other players in their only their second season. The fact that no one else pulled the trigger on this guy leads us to believe the asking price was over the top.

The wings offered him 2 years at 2.5mill per season. I would think he was either incredibly mismanaged to not accept that or he legitimately wanted more playing time and did not care as much about the money (doubtful). Now he's stuck with a PTO and will possibly be making quite a bit less than the Wings offer.

Either way, might work out in our favor, but his camp fvcked up.

Here's a German article, not sure how well it translates to english: http://www.20min.ch/sport/dossier/timeout/story/Falsch-beraten-und-ein-bisschen-Groessenwahn-24739296

Edited by mrthemike