The Yankees Thread

TrentonDevils

Melky just might be the most underrated performer on this team. At one time, he was hovering around the Mendoza line. Then he became the everyday CF and it made all the difference. He's hitting, playing great D as evidenced last night and stealing bases.

This kid is turning into a player.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joba! Joba! Seriously, I started following this guy as soon as he was drafted and it is so exciting to watch him excel for the Yankees after following his rise through the minors.

This is a little OT- but what the hell kind of name is Joba? Were Chamberlain's parents big Star Wars fans or something?

This is a little OT- but what the hell kind of name is Joba? Were Chamberlain's parents big Star Wars fans or something?

yes that's exactly what it is - god forbid the guy have a strange name.

he's 100% american indian. my guess is that has something to do with it.

Edited by Triumph

Nothing. I'm surprised you would worry about him. He usually hits a rough patch around this time of year every summer. I'm not really surprised because he was used for a four out save Sunday. His blown save wasn't even bad. The O's didn't exactly get good wood on the ball the other night. Today they did. Give them credit.

Mo doesn't get hit hard often. A couple of days off and he'll be back.

He had a day off yesterday. I am not asking him to be super human but he has been bordering on F-Word territory the last few games. When Rivera gives up runs in 3 consecutive outings I worry. He usually hits a rough patch now because he has been overworked. With all the blowouts the Yankees have had he is on pace to pitch his fewest inning since 2002. This would have been a nice game to win with the upcoming schedule and the fact that both Boston and Seattle lost.

Pitching Matchups vs. Tigers:

Thursday: RHP Justin Verlander (12-4, 3.58) vs. RHP Mike Mussina (8-7, 4.50), 7:05

Friday: LHP Nate Robertson (7-9, 5.01) vs. LHP Andy Pettitte (9-7, 3.93), 7:05

Saturday: RHP Chad Durbin (7-5, 4.68) vs. RHP Roger Clemens (4-5, 4.00), 3:55

Sunday: RHP Jeremy Bonderman (10-5, 4.65) vs. RHP Chien-Ming Wang (13-6, 4.09), 1:05

I'm hoping they can get 3 out of 4.

Also here is info on the Brackman signing:

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Andrew Brackman received a $3.35 million signing bonus that will be paid out over six years. His four-year contract technically starts this season with the Yankees having options for 2011, 2012 and 2013.

As is typical of Boras contracts, there are bonus payments for being added to the 25-man roster and for reaching certain performance levels.

His being added to the GCL roster is just a formality. The minor-league seasons end in early September and Brackman is injured. He is expected to have elbow surgery sometime soon.

Boras often holds out for Major League deals because the earlier a player is on the 40-man roster, the sooner he can become a free agent.

Brackman is a high-ceiling, fairly high-risk player. High ceiling meaning that he has a great deal of talent, is very athletic and could become a quality big league pitcher. High risk in that he is injured, inexperienced and perhaps a little too tall. Other than Randy Johnson (and in recent years, Chris Young), there are very few good pitchers who are that tall.

Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy fell in the draft because of injury and signability issues. Look at where they are now.

yes that's exactly what it is - god forbid the guy have a strange name.

he's 100% american indian. my guess is that has something to do with it.

Found this on a Yankees board:

And now the awful truth: His name isn't Joba. It's (yawn) Justin. He became Joba when a baby cousin who couldn't pronounce Justin came up with Joba. It's been Joba ever since. And now he's in the process of getting it legally changed. To Joba. What else?

Link

Go figure.

Well, Moose has gotten smoked tonight. Guillen hit a slam in the first and the Tigers tacked on two more.

The good news is the other pitching match-ups tend to favor the Yanks. They really need to respond if they don't comeback tonight and it seems highly unlikely against Verlander when you spot him four runs. It's 6-1.

P.S. Brackman is supposed to be good. Nice to see they got him finally signed. I wonder if he'll be coming to Staten Island.

Well, Moose has gotten smoked tonight. Guillen hit a slam in the first and the Tigers tacked on two more.

The good news is the other pitching match-ups tend to favor the Yanks. They really need to respond if they don't comeback tonight and it seems highly unlikely against Verlander when you spot him four runs. It's 6-1.

P.S. Brackman is supposed to be good. Nice to see they got him finally signed. I wonder if he'll be coming to Staten Island.

Brackman is a high-risk, high-reward player. He will have to undergo TJ surgery soon and hopefully he will rebound nicely from it. He won't see any playing time this year but was technically assigned to the Gulf Coast Yankees for the sake of it. I am happy they signed him but I wish Cashman didn't have to hand out a Major League Contract just to sign him. I thought he would have more leverage because of Brackman's injury, but then again, Boras was the agent.

I missed tonights game because I was at work but I saw the highlights. I loved how Sheffield was booed. Moose wasn't great tonight, but as you said the rest of the pitching match ups are good for the Yankees. They really need to take these next 3.

Great performance by Pettitte tonight. 8 quality innings. Joba pitched a great ninth too. Giambi stepped up with those 2 solo shots (one to the upper deck) and Phillips had a great 2 rbi double. The only negative about the game was the umpires sucked, for both teams. The strike zone was inconsistent and they called the new guy on Detroit out even though he hit the ball and accidentally touched it while in the batters box. Yankees need to take these next two. Hopefully Clemens can pitch as well as his buddy did tonight.

Well, the Yanks apparently listened and took the final three games of the series. Big too because Seattle keeps winning and Boston split with Anaheim.

Joba once again pitched well, and it appears Joe Torre is actually going to use Edwar this time up. If Joe keeps using him, the bullpen is so much stronger. Now its time to take at least 2 out of 3, if not all 3 against the Angels. Hopefully the offense keeps hitting and is spread evenly throughout the line up. I think the pitchers for the Yankees are going to be Hughes, Mussina, and Pettitte.

Also, here is a friendly update on Myers and Cairo:

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Mike Myers has signed with the White Sox and will join them tomorrow. He has a deal for the remainder of this season and a team option for 2008.

Miguel Cairo signed a minor-league deal with the Cardinals, one of his former teams, and will report to AAA Memphis.

Boy this tread has gotten quite. :whistling:

This reads about to get 'quite' :angry: haha...know it was a typo, but i gotta hate on you, with you being a sawx beetch and all

Mike Mussina should be made into either glue or chinese food, one of those two things...he is done.

I dont know what theyre gonna do about it at this point, but hes gotta go.

That was painful to watch last night, especially since they got within two in the third, just to let the angels score 5 runs in the bottom half....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its alright though, this is probably the toughest series of the year, I can accept losing 2 of three...gotta win tonight with Andy on the mound, and then they gotta buckle down and kick some serious ass....especially against the sawx

Edited by TrentonDevils

This reads about to get 'quite' :angry: haha...know it was a typo, but i gotta hate on you, with you being a sawx beetch and all

Mike Mussina should be made into either glue or chinese food, one of those two things...he is done.

I dont know what theyre gonna do about it at this point, but hes gotta go.

That was painful to watch last night, especially since they got within two in the third, just to let the angels score 5 runs in the bottom half....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its alright though, this is probably the toughest series of the year, I can accept losing 2 of three...gotta win tonight with Andy on the mound, and then they gotta buckle down and kick some serious ass....especially against the sawx

Well the Yanks had to cool down a bit at teh rate they were going. Do they have Seatle next? The Sox series will tell a lot.