Clarkson.Zubrus.Elias.

2ELIAS6

Who do we think will honestly be back next year and who do we think walks away from us.. im not talking about who we want to come back or who we dont want back..im talking realisticly, figure wise what our few beloved free agents values have become or not become to what the devils can actually afford to pay for them. And how long will we have to wait to start hearing about it? i heard negotiations will not start until july? geesh im already growing impatient.

Edited by Sik02gt

I honestly think Zubrus is the only one who stays. I would like all 3 to stay. In order of Elias-Zubrus-Clarkson

I disagree I think Zubrus is the odd man out.  I think the money Zubrus made this year, which is 3.4m will go towards clarkson contract

• Like 1

If I were Clarkson... with all my jawing and mocking about it and all... I'd just have to approach Lou however possible and say I need... yes... just ... just Fair Market Value ( :blush: ) I'd feel desperate to get something done just to stay away from that temptation to screw my career for a payday. 

Vocation is really important to me and it's really hard for me to be in a situation that I can't do my best in.  or that I can't succeed in really - that I can't flourish and all that crap.  I can't abide with garbage - with a garbage product sold top dollar to people who are even happy with it... I can't pedal sh!t even if people think it's great and want more. I can't do it - I can't NOT question my vocation. I'm so lame and such a loser on account of it...

I don't know - I never get the feeling Clarkson worked this hard for just a payday.  I'm not saying he would be able to turn one down.  I just think quality of life would be so much better for him if he stayed with this team.  Because he WOULD find things to do with the money from a sucky team - alternate avocations... which - I just dont think would maximize the quality of his life.  He'd be able to handle it but  - he'd just hit a wall.  Maybe it's inevitable that he will anywhere - but he'll hit it harder and not have the hockey to cushion the blow somewhere else.  He's a poet is what I'm saying and to have to seek out the rush of the poetry of hockey elsewhere I think just - it would suck for him is all. He'd be off the correct track. 

(umm... unsure-smiley-face.gif clearly we're talking US fair market value kind of a more relaxed price as opposed to the Canadian top dollar possible in a relaxed sale.  yeah ... so.  yep)

Edited by Pepperkorn

Elais Zubrus - whatever.  It's not so critical for them that they stay here.  I think both woudl rather - but if they have some weird sh!t they need to work out and Lou can't satisfy that well -- bummer and stuff. 

I don't want the team to HAVE to break the bank to show loyalty to Elias.  You know?  It sucks.  I'd feel like an a$$hole even putting them in that position.  and I get in that whole Hey I'm not the a$$hole here kind of feeling and that sh!tty defensive self-righteous  :puke:  YUCK.  He must feel just crappy now  I hate that - just like we all do waiting.

Zubrus - he's a nice guy and he's a happy guy and he can do whatever he wants.  I like him but he's got no legacy here to worry about. I don't see him getting big offers anywhere else.  it'd be like a Madden Langenbrunner sort of contract.  He doesn't have the tutaling reputation those guys have though. 

I would love all three to stay, but Elias is the most important, we can't afford to let our leading scorer go.   No one has his leadership on the Devils.   He is priority #1.

Clarkson, is a young, hot commodity that every team will be after, but I hope he stays, he is a great guy on and off the ice.

I don't think there is any demand for Zubie, so we can probably re-sign him at a discount.

IMHO Clarkson would be making a huge mistake o leave this team and system.  The pressure of playing in Toronto would crush him. The biggest ally David has in this  world is Pete Deboer.  leaving the safety net he has here is career suicide. However, depending on what is offered, it might be too hard to pass up.  

Sign Elias to a 2 year deal at 4.5m per.

Zubes can go unless he wants a major paycut.  I see him signing with the Rags or possibly the Isles/Cryers.

Agree with a number of people...Clarkson would be better off staying at the Devils. He's learnt his craft here and can turn a shift in, play the system etc. Would be in his best interest to stay.

As for Elias and Zubie...I think Elias will want to spend his last season(s) here for sure. Zubrus could start for any team so might see what contract he can get.

Elias stays if he wants to, Zubrus stays if they want him to, and Clarkson is a goner.

And how the hell is it in Clarkson's best interest to stay here? Get real, if he's offered 4-6 years somewhere at 5-6m per, that's as good as it's going to get. It might be best for his athletic career to stay here, but this is a business for these guys.

What's the worst case scenario, you end up humiliated like Gomez? I'm sure he's real upset, until he sees his bank statement. Then the public ridicule is probably a lot more stomachable.

Elias stays if he wants to, Zubrus stays if they want him to, and Clarkson is a goner.

And how the hell is it in Clarkson's best interest to stay here? Get real, if he's offered 4-6 years somewhere at 5-6m per, that's as good as it's going to get. It might be best for his athletic career to stay here, but this is a business for these guys.

What's the worst case scenario, you end up humiliated like Gomez? I'm sure he's real upset, until he sees his bank statement. Then the public ridicule is probably a lot more stomachable.

Elias I think at this point values his legacy more... unless theres big money elsewhere, he'll sign here to retire.

Zubrus...  I think fans underrate him.   GMs are going to value his toughness on the puck and his versatility.   He's not a scorer, but you can plug him on your top line for a bit and he won't be embarrassed.     If he signs with us, we are going to hate his contract saying we overpaid.   But extending his current contract another 2/3 years @ 3.4MM  (or 3.5, 3.75mm as an inflation bump) would be reasonable to me.

And Clarkson?   He's going to take a big money deal.  He's a fool not to.    You can look like Gomez all you want for 5/6mm for 4-5 years... and then take 1, 1.5mm in your next contract.   You make out.

People keep talking like there is a ton of money out there for players.  There really isn't.  There's some, but not a lot.  It's as if the cap stagnated for 3 years.

Zubrus is coming off his worst year - if someone wants to give him $3M a year at age 35 and with 1000 games on his back, let them.  His days of playing 16-17 minutes on a good team are about over, but I'd love him back as a 3rd liner-PK guy (basically the role Ponikarovsky had this year) at 2.5M per year or less.

Toronto has plenty of wingers, they don't need Clarkson, and they're not likely to get him.  I don't really know who is.

Edited by Triumph

I almost dare not speak these words, because I'd be unbelievably pissed if they came true, but I think Clarkson would fit right in over the river in Philadelphia.  He has the grit, he's a powerforward type, and they'll have room if they amnesty Briere.

It would also allow him to maintain his NJ-based charity program. 

I almost dare not speak these words, because I'd be unbelievably pissed if they came true, but I think Clarkson would fit right in over the river in Philadelphia.  He has the grit, he's a powerforward type, and they'll have room if they amnesty Briere.

It would also allow him to maintain his NJ-based charity program. 

Philadelphia doesn't have the money and they already have Hartnell and Simmonds.  I think they'll pass.

I made my peace about clarkson leaving. I dont even like him but i know we need him. Id like to see Lou to start the negociations soon so that by the draft he knows that its not gonna happen with clarkson so that he can swing his rights along with wtv else it takes to move up if we see that the guys we want would slip away at the draft.

if i were lou, i would trade clarky to the leafs for a 7th rounder right away to get an extra pick. 

Zubrus and Elias are absolute musts to this team, there are no players out there that can fill the hole of those two especially since we have to still fill the Parise hole.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

I think all 3 are MUSTS for Lou to re-sign this offseason, and for different reasons.

Elias, because he's Elias and still our leading scorer after all these years. And it's Elias. If we can't keep him after all these years (the year after we lose Parise), who can we keep?

Clarkson, because of his role in the locker room and I still think he has 20+ goal seasons in him. He is the ultimate role player, whether we think he's skilled/skates well or not. Inversely, I think he needs our team and DeBoer to succeed, which will be a big reason he may stay.

There was a gaping hole in our system when Zubrus got injured. Very few people will admit that our slump first started when Zubrus got injured; it only continued when Brodeur was injured, but people have a short term memory about the change in our play once we lost Zubrus and his play along the boards. His value isn't that high at all and I think we'll sign him easily. I'm pretty sure he wants to stay, and it won't be too hard for Lou to make that happen.