GDT: W667 or L8? Boston Bruins @ New Jersey 666 7:30 EST

Devil Fan

the sad thing about last night is.. they had such a bad first period there was no coming back from it, it was close i thought they were going to come back a few times the ship was just sunk too deep... if they didnt look like such crap in that 1st then theres no doubt we should have won that one.

luckily boston has trouble playing with a lead, that first 10 mins of the first was ug-ly.

the PP is beyond horrible and the bruins are a very good PK team (not a good combo). they were super agressive and smelled blood on the kill

cant kill petey the effort is still there, although having clarkson on the ice 4 v 4 is ridiculous. that = 4 v 3

really want a butterfly goalie who covers the ice with a pad, not a skate blade

Meh, it's just a bad season. It happens. Nothing's going right, and changes will have to be made. People throwing fits about it are being ridiculous. Have some perspective. All teams have bad years. Up until now, ours didn't do it often.

Yep...nothing lasts forever, and as we saw with 2010-11 and 2011-12, one bad season doesn't necessarily mean an extended bad run.  But clearly the Devils are heading into a period of uncertainty...the end of the road is coming for the old guard.  To think that we had a goalie who held down the number #1 spot from 1994 to 2013...and stayed healthy for most of that time...incredible.  But all one has to do is look in the teams in the Devils' division in that '94-'13 time frame...almost all of them had extended downturns.  The Flyers, like the Devils, made the playoffs in almost every season from '94-'13, but never won the Cup. 

Some fans simply can't grasp that prosperity for their hockey team isn't a bottomless well.  Eventually we'll have to deal with irrelevance as well...such is the cycle.  But at least it's been decades since we had to deal with season after season of that, and most of the fans doing most of the bitching aren't even old enough to remember the '82-'87 Devils, so it's not like they even know what that's like. 

Yep...nothing lasts forever, and as we saw with 2010-11 and 2011-12, one bad season doesn't necessarily mean an extended bad run.  But clearly the Devils are heading into a period of uncertainty...the end of the road is coming for the old guard.  To think that we had a goalie who held down the number #1 spot from 1994 to 2013...and stayed healthy for most of that time...incredible.  But all one has to do is look in the teams in the Devils' division in that '94-'13 time frame...almost all of them had extended downturns.  The Flyers, like the Devils, made the playoffs in almost every season from '94-'13, but never won the Cup. 

Some fans simply can't grasp that prosperity for their hockey team isn't a bottomless well.  Eventually we'll have to deal with irrelevance as well...such is the cycle.  But at least it's been decades since we had to deal with season after season of that, and most of the fans doing most of the bitching aren't even old enough to remember the '82-'87 Devils, so it's not like they even know what that's like. 

Two things:

1) case and point for the bold faced selection are the Detroit Red Wings. Yes, they currently occupy the 8th and final spot out West, but there are a handful of teams in striking distance, including Dallas who cannot figure out if their season is over yet or not even after trading Jagr and Roy.

2) I agree we're in for some troubling times and also agree it wont be as bad as when the franchise first arrived in NJ. It'll be a season or two of scraping for the 8th spot until we can find our identity beyond the old guard.

Agree with DR33 and CR1976

Devils have been so good during my time as a fan that it almost doesn't matter to me if they have a couple of bad years.  That's why I've been more positive than 95% of the board.  They give you an honest effort pretty much every night, seem to be well prepared and never give up.  Look at the second half of 10-11 and even during this losing streak.  They could easily have folded in the tent but they scrap their asses off.  Would you like to score more goals? No kidding. But what do you think happens when you lose Parise and Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Henrique and Poni all miss significant time? Anyway, I truly believe in this team, the coaching staff and the management and you should too. Yeah, things aren't looking good this year and maybe the future does seem kind of hazy but there is a culture of excellence that cannot be lost easily. I'd rather lose with the Devils than win with anyone else

Two things:

1) case and point for the bold faced selection are the Detroit Red Wings. Yes, they currently occupy the 8th and final spot out West, but there are a handful of teams in striking distance, including Dallas who cannot figure out if their season is over yet or not even after trading Jagr and Roy.

2) I agree we're in for some troubling times and also agree it wont be as bad as when the franchise first arrived in NJ. It'll be a season or two of scraping for the 8th spot until we can find our identity beyond the old guard.

I honestly don't know what the future brings, good or bad.  There's just so many questions, starting with how much longer does Lou want to be the GM?  I don't think the Devils will miss the playoffs for five straight seasons either, but it's not like anyone ever sees these things coming, especially when the team has been competitive for so long.  Obviously a lot of it will come down to drafting and the moves that have yet to be made...clearly, there were many times in the last 20 or so years we knew that, at the very least, for the next three or four years, the Devils were going to be an upper-echelon team that would make the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Cup.  Now I have no idea what this team will be in the next three or four years.  I'm not saying the future is bleak...more just cloudy.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I honestly don't know what the future brings, good or bad.  There's just so many questions, starting with how much longer does Lou want to be the GM?  I don't think the Devils will miss the playoffs for five straight seasons either, but it's not like anyone ever sees these things coming, especially when the team has been competitive for so long.  Obviously a lot of it will come down to drafting and the moves that have yet to be made...clearly, there were many times in the last 20 or so years we knew that, at the very least, for the next three or four years, the Devils were going to be an upper-echelon team that would make the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Cup.  Now I have no idea what this team will be in the next three or four years.  I'm not saying the future is bleak...more just cloudy.   

Again, agreed. I still do not believe we'll ever fall back to the, for lack of a better word, "expansion" years when we first arrived in Jersey.

I'm extremely curious to see what moves we will make this summer, and I have to imagine us using one if not both of our buyouts. That'd be an insane amount of cap space we'll have when the good majority of the league will not.

The problem then becomes who will hit the market.

That being said, if somehow a bona fide  #1 winger his the market along with a notable center, and we do not make any attempt to sign them, then I'll start to fear the worst, because this piecemealing from other teams bottom 6 castoffs crap needs to end.

The worst part is the team outside the net is fine - not great, but certainly good enough to make the playoffs.  Lou made a bunch of mistakes because the team won last year, but none of them catastrophic.  It's a shortened season, the Devils haven't gotten any bounces, and they're going to miss the playoffs as a result.  Maybe it's hockey karma for all the luck they got in the 95 playoffs.

Again, agreed. I still do not believe we'll ever fall back to the, for lack of a better word, "expansion" years when we first arrived in Jersey.

I'm extremely curious to see what moves we will make this summer, and I have to imagine us using one if not both of our buyouts. That'd be an insane amount of cap space we'll have when the good majority of the league will not.

The problem then becomes who will hit the market.

That being said, if somehow a bona fide  #1 winger his the market along with a notable center, and we do not make any attempt to sign them, then I'll start to fear the worst, because this piecemealing from other teams bottom 6 castoffs crap needs to end.

There are some pretty decent plays on the market, considering they don't resign. Raymond I hope we take a look at. Karlsson obviously won't be let on the market, he'll be resigned long term I'd think

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/devils-coach-%E2%80%98you-have-two-choices-you-roll-over-and-die-or-you-get-tomorrow%E2%80%99

To make it they have us needing these to get in:

Sports Club Stats’ numbers indicate that the Devils would have to put the following type of run together to have better than a coin flip’s chance of making the 2013 playoffs:*

6-2-0 finish: 56.5 percent chance.

5-0-3 finish: 75.1 percent chance

6-1-1 finish: 80.3 percent chance

Edited by CarterforPresident

There are some pretty decent plays on the market, considering they don't resign. Raymond I hope we take a look at. Karlsson obviously won't be let on the market, he'll be resigned long term I'd think

The only thing about Raymond that would concern me is his spinal compression from the Finals 2 years ago.

I have no problems dealing with the ups-and-downs, but I just wish Lou would make moves accordingly (says an armchair GM, I know, I know).

If the only offensive acquisition to be made for this goal-starved team was Sullivan, why not ship out one of the D for picks?  I imagine Lou will use at least one buyout this summer on a defenseman, I would've taken a freakin 5th round pick for one of em. 

I have no problems dealing with the ups-and-downs, but I just wish Lou would make moves accordingly (says an armchair GM, I know, I know).

If the only offensive acquisition to be made for this goal-starved team was Sullivan, why not ship out one of the D for picks?  I imagine Lou will use at least one buyout this summer on a defenseman, I would've taken a freakin 5th round pick for one of em. 

To me, the fact that Lou hasn't traded Tallinder for picks tells me that he's leaning toward a buyout of Volchenkov. Volchenkov's got an NTC and Tallinder doesn't. If Lou wanted to get rid of one of the 2 during the season it'd have had to have been Henrik, but since he didn't I figure he's waiting for the Amnesty.