GDT Preseason Edition: NJD vs NYI, 7:00PM, WFAN

RunninWithTheDevil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened with corrente's fight with gillies? and why would he fight gillies?

i really would like to see corrente up with the big team.

Corrente has major league balls. He got his ass kicked against Gillies but kept on fighting. His face was bleeding pretty good afterwards. The Elias goal was beautiful. Felt like 2000 all over again, I got extremely nostalgic in the stands watching it. Elias/Arnott/whoever is lucky enough to be the other winger is going to be potent. They will be better than most other teams' top lines. I am beyond excited for this season....

not alot of people are going to mention it, because part of it involves the second coming of Bobby Orr :lol:.... but the defensive play in this game was more than a tad bit "interesting".

offensively, they're fine, but man were they getting killed by the forecheck and constantly getting lost in their own zone.

not alot of people are going to mention it, because part of it involves the second coming of Bobby Orr :lol:.... but the defensive play in this game was more than a tad bit "interesting".

offensively, they're fine, but man were they getting killed by the forecheck and constantly getting lost in their own zone.

do you think they can correct it or is it a lost cause?

lol, I think it's about 6 months too early to call it a lost cause. but this doesn't look like it's going to be a good defensive team off the drop. guys will probably gel and learn what they're doing, but I think the people that are writing Urbom in as a top 4 in *pen*, they're insane

lol, I think it's about 6 months too early to call it a lost cause. but this doesn't look like it's going to be a good defensive team off the drop. guys will probably gel and learn what they're doing, but I think the people that are writing Urbom in as a top 4 in *pen*, they're insane

it should be an interesting season but i got faith

ok back from the game... let me give you my quick update...

Rolston sucks.. bad passes, slow skating...floating all night... great shot on the pp, and blasted it by Roloson.. Rolston got a lot on minutes tonight (or it just felt that way lol)... it did not check the box score.

Parise easily could have had 3 tonight.. he was the best player on the ice

Kovy was being used as a decoy and tonight he didn't seem to even want to shoot much... on the Parise goal, he took 2 player with him

The Greene to Arnott deflection goal was beautiful... Andy Greene is going to have a monster year... 55+points

Elias had his best game yet and Tedenby played with him an Arnott and looked very good at times.. his best game... he's still a little off and he actually missed a layup in the 3rd of some very pretty work by him, Arnott and Elias

Langs played very little tonight as it seemed Johnny mac was intending on playing the youngsters a lot.

I followed Josefson a lot and he played decently... he was even out there with Tedenby for awhile and they did look good together...but got pinned in their own zone. Josefson and Rolston have absolutely no chemistry.. keep them away from each other. Josephson is a serviceable player and I;d guess he'll do fine centering Zubrus and Clarkson

The 4th line of Mair, Pelley and Palmieri was really pretty good. Generated some chances, though they did not hit much. Mair looks decent on the pk. Palmieri is going to be sent down soon but he is close to making as a NHLer.

no Zubrus...again?????

On "D", White played a usual Colin White game... some excellent physical plays, some bone-headed passes and a few missed checks.. he looked rusty

Greene was sharp and saw what seemed like limited action for him.. they had him paired with Corrente, who played an ok game tonight, He is not ready to play big minutes against other teams best for sure... but he would be a serviceable 6th/7th d-man

Tallinder looked sharp and played quite steady and well.. when the game was on the line he and Greene were the paring every other shift and that should tell you what the coaches see.

The Devils were very dangerous tonight, and we should all be excited and a big reason for that was Salavdor and Mottau and Skoula out and Urbom and Taormina in. Those 2 rookie defensman are very good with the edge to Taormina

The were mobile, strong on the puck and quick to react with almost an error free game from both. I know its a depleted Isles team but these 2 dudes are ready. Taorima had some hard shot on net. We played to night with 3 hi quality defensive pairs and as a result our transition game was unstoppable. With some more work and experience playing in our own zone these guys are going to be blue-line regulars.

Get excited about Urbom and Taormina...

Rolston sucks.. bad passes, slow skating...floating all night... great shot on the pp, and blasted it by Roloson.. Rolston got a lot on minutes tonight (or it just felt that way lol)... it did not check the box score buty.

Kovy was being used as a decoy and tonight he didn't seem to even want to shoot much... on the Parise goal, he took 2 player with him

The Greene to Arnott deflection goal was beautiful... Andy Greene is going to have a monster year... 55+points

Elias had his best game yet and Tedenby played with him an Arnott and looked very good at times.. his best game... he's still a little off and he actually missed a layup in the 3rd of some very pretty work by him, Arnott and Elias

Langs played very little tonight as it seemed Johnny mac was intending on playing the youngsters a lot.

I followed Josephson a lot and he played decently... he was even out there with Tedenby for awhile and they did look good together...but got pinned in their own zone. Josefson and Rolston have absolutely no chemistry.. keep them away from each other. Josephson is a serviceable player and I;d guess he'll do fine centering Zubrus and Clarkson

The 4th line of Mair, Pelley and Palmieri was really pretty good. Generated some chances, though they did not hit much. Mair looks decent on the pk. Palmieri is going to be sent down soon but he is close to making as a NHLer.

no Zubrus...again?????

On "D", White played a usual Colin White game... some excellent physical plays, some bone-headed passes and a few missed checks.. he looked rusty

Greene was sharp and saw what seemed like limited action for him.. they had him paired with Corrente, who played an ok game tonight, He is not ready to play big minutes against other teams best for sure... but he would be a serviceable 6th/7th d-man

Tallinder looked sharp and played quite steady and well.. when the game was on the line he and Greene were the paring every other shift and that should tell you what the coaches see.

The Devils were very dangerous tonight, and we should all be excited and a big reason for that was Salavdor and Mottau and Skoula out and Urbom and Taormina in. Those 2 rookie defensman are very good with the edge to Taormina

The were mobile, strong on the puck and quick to react with almost an error free game from both. I know its a depleted Isles team but these 2 dudes are ready. Taorima had some hard shot on net. We played to night with 3 hi quality defensive pairs and as a result our transition game was unstoppable. With some more work and experience playing in our own zone these guys are going to be blue-line regulars.

Get excited about Urbom and Taorima...

great review :cheers:

Rolston sucks.. bad passes, slow skating...floating all night... great shot on the pp, and blasted it by Roloson.. Rolston got a lot on minutes tonight (or it just felt that way lol)... it did not check the box score.

I followed Josefson a lot and he played decently... he was even out there with Tedenby for awhile and they did look good together...but got pinned in their own zone. Josefson and Rolston have absolutely no chemistry.. keep them away from each other. Josephson is a serviceable player and I;d guess he'll do fine centering Zubrus and Clarkson

no Zubrus...again?????

Get excited about Urbom and Taormina...

error-free? the only thing keeping Taormina from being the worst Devil on the ice was Matt Corrente. I could call out 3 huge mistakes Urbom made on the PK, one of which ended up in the net.

these guys are DEFENSEMEN. they have to play their own zone. the third period was a debacle. Urbom, I think can play ES defensively if protected, I wouldn't let Taormina play D for my team unless my goal was to be a lottery game. every game this preseason he's had a fvckup that makes Mottau blush.

error-free? the only thing keeping Taormina from being the worst Devil on the ice was Matt Corrente. I could call out 3 huge mistakes Urbom made on the PK, one of which ended up in the net.

these guys are DEFENSEMEN. they have to play their own zone. the third period was a debacle. Urbom, I think can play ES defensively if protected, I wouldn't let Taormina play D for my team unless my goal was to be a lottery game. every game this preseason he's had a fvckup that makes Mottau blush.

Urbom made some mistake son the PK for sure (he let a quick pass cross the crease but who let the player walk out of the corner?), but I have to completely disagree on Taormina.. I thought he was good on the offensive side and respectable for a player with 3NHL games under his belt on the defensive side... I say let'm play... they'll get better.

Taormina was only one of two devils +1 in this game btw

those people think colin white stinks and have 20k posts on hfboards. mistakes are all fine in preseason but when they start happening in season, people tend to look unkindly on them. i remember when this board wanted paul martin executed after his first month in the league, and he was a 22 year old coming off 3 years at college.

I think this season may be a blessing in disguise. Josefson, Urbom and Taormina will be all that much better next season as a result. Sure we could be a little better with role pluggers but this is one season where NJ may really surprise in a bad way. Two rookie defensmen and a rookie 3rd line center is asking for a lot.

I think this season may be a blessing in disguise. Josefson, Urbom and Taormina will be all that much better next season as a result. Sure we could be a little better with role pluggers but this is one season where NJ may really surprise in a bad way. Two rookie defensmen and a rookie 3rd line center is asking for a lot.

there's no way Taormina is playing. no way. Fraser is like Pronger and Lidstrom combined compared to him defensively.

and for all the splash they made this year and the money put out (and the people that have bought tickets, as shown by the preseason attendance), they can't afford to suck or be mediocre. they can't blow it off. unfortunately the cap has them screwed beyond belief.

that being said, I have this feeling that the team is going to be like the 05-06 team, where the setup is totally FUBAR'd, and you're always sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop.

right now, I feel like they're a 4-8 seed team. I don't see them rampaging over everyone like alot of people think. they have weaknesses and the cap isn't going to allow them to be fixed. probably why they're trying to kiss Nieds' ass with the jersey retirement talk.

Honestly, I'm not sure Taormina is that much worse defensively than Fraser....I'm not saying Taormina's defense is good, I'm saying Fraser's defense is bad. At least Taormina has some other abilities to bring up his overall value to the team.

Taormina, to me, looks like a guy that is going to wear a big - collar. Fraser, he stinks, but I have some confidence in him playing regular season minutes while being protected. say what you want about Fraser, but he managed to avoid taking said collar last season, on a team that couldn't score in a whorehouse for months.

Taromina's biggest skill seems to be playing the point. well, we have Greene, possibly Tallinder, possibly Urbom, and 940 forward points. so, what does he actually bring?

I think Urbom is going to wear the - collar if he plays the whole season. I can't fathom what Taromina's would look like.

that being said, I have this feeling that the team is going to be like the 05-06 team, where the setup is totally FUBAR'd, and you're always sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop.

right now, I feel like they're a 4-8 seed team. I don't see them rampaging over everyone like alot of people think. they have weaknesses and the cap isn't going to allow them to be fixed. probably why they're trying to kiss Nieds' ass with the jersey retirement talk.

this is typical message board talk for a myriad of reasons. it seems like you've talked yourself into a corner here, read your own posts, and then have gone more extreme.

1: 05-06 was a way worse team. way way worse. way way way worse.

2: the difference between a 4-8 seed team and 1-2-3 is very often chance

3: every team has weaknesses, and most teams looking to contend have cap problems. i guess you didn't notice chicago's 3rd pairing for much of last season.

4: this niedermayer conspiracy theory is garbage. yes, he could come back to play, but lou has been talking about retiring his jersey for years.

fraser wasn't a minus because he got incredibly soft minutes AND got lucky AND started to ride the bench when the offense went into the toilet.

Edited by Triumph

this is typical message board talk for a myriad of reasons. it seems like you've talked yourself into a corner here, read your own posts, and then have gone more extreme.

1: 05-06 was a way worse team. way way worse. way way way worse.

2: the difference between a 4-8 seed team and 1-2-3 is very often chance

3: every team has weaknesses, and most teams looking to contend have cap problems. i guess you didn't notice chicago's 3rd pairing for much of last season.

4: this niedermayer conspiracy theory is garbage. yes, he could come back to play, but lou has been talking about retiring his jersey for years.

fraser wasn't a minus because he got incredibly soft minutes AND got lucky AND started to ride the bench when the offense went into the toilet.

I think it's very similiar to 05-06 when they got everything straightened out. a top-heavy offensive team with no D.

even when Elias came back, they were sorta on the cusp of missing until they went on the streak.

as for 2, the 8 is there for a reason. I think they're a bottom half of the playoffs team, and their cap problems are extreme, they have no way to improve later in the season. even if they clear someone out, most of that gets eaten up by scratches, and possibly putting the bonuses on so they don't have to eat them next year.

I think it's very similiar to 05-06 when they got everything straightened out. a top-heavy offensive team with no D.

even when Elias came back, they were sorta on the cusp of missing until they went on the streak.

that was a terrible team. here were the lines:

elias-gomez-gionta

parise-brylin/kozlov-marshall/mogilny

pandolfo-madden-langenbrunner

wiemer-rasmussen-janssen

rafalski-lukowich/brown

white-martin/malakhov

klee-hale/albelin

you're really going to compare that to a team that has kovalchuk and parise in their primes, plus jason arnott as a 2nd line center? really?

as for 2, the 8 is there for a reason. I think they're a bottom half of the playoffs team, and their cap problems are extreme, they have no way to improve later in the season. even if they clear someone out, most of that gets eaten up by scratches, and possibly putting the bonuses on so they don't have to eat them next year.

this assumes a hell of a lot that doesn't make sense. why would they clear someone out to eat up that space with scratches? does that make sense to you? furthermore, in-season improvements are massively overrated. taormina vs. whatever we got that improves over him is probably worth a single win.

Taormina, to me, looks like a guy that is going to wear a big - collar. Fraser, he stinks, but I have some confidence in him playing regular season minutes while being protected. say what you want about Fraser, but he managed to avoid taking said collar last season, on a team that couldn't score in a whorehouse for months.

Taromina's biggest skill seems to be playing the point. well, we have Greene, possibly Tallinder, possibly Urbom, and 940 forward points. so, what does he actually bring?

I think Urbom is going to wear the - collar if he plays the whole season. I can't fathom what Taromina's would look like.

You have confidence in Fraser? I'm pretty sure his mom lost confidence in his game. Any sort of pressure and he coughs the puck up, hell even when there isn't pressure he coughs it up. Taormina has been steady in 2 of 3 games I seen so far. Even the first game there really was only one mistake when the puck bounced on him. This kid is one year out of Providence, has a excellent breakout pass and can Quarterback a PP. His is also a great skater.