Kovy's endurance

mouse

I knew Kovy was playing a ton of minutes, but didn't realize the extent.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21676291/ilya-kovalchuks-endurance-is-incredible

Impressive, but also a little scary.

You needed this article to tell you? Chico raving about his "cardiovascular strength" every game never struck you?

I sorta knew, but 7 out of 14?

When I played pond hockey I was on the ice the whole time. ;)

You'd have kicked my ass. I got decent by the end of my time playing ice hockey, but leave me out for more than 5 minutes and I'm sucking air.

• Like 1

there was one play were kovy got the puck on the blueline 1 vs 1 with a little speed, and he hit the breaks to wait for zajac, fed travis the pass at the last second and he drew a call . chico was gushing about how smart kovy is and what a sly pass he made. maybe, but kovy of 2 years ago would have hit the jets and blown by that defender. he used to be one of the most explosive skater in the league, I havent seen that since the back issues. and it wasnt a verge large gap the D had on him, in fact it was a bit tight

there was one play were kovy got the puck on the blueline 1 vs 1 with a little speed, and he hit the breaks to wait for zajac, fed travis the pass at the last second and he drew a call . chico was gushing about how smart kovy is and what a sly pass he made. maybe, but kovy of 2 years ago would have hit the jets and blown by that defender. he used to be one of the most explosive skater in the league, I havent seen that since the back issues. and it wasnt a verge large gap the D had on him, in fact it was a bit tight

Kovalchuk had been on for a very long shift at that point.  I'm not really buying this - he might be a little slower with his first step, but he is still very fast.  I think he's been talked out of taking on defenders 1 on 1 because generally they're too good.

Edited by Triumph

I love the way Kovy has been playing. He hasn't been forcing shots or taking on players just to try and get a goal and get his points that he lived on in Atlanta. Now, he's definitely bought into the team concept and the last two games, I think have been his best this season. He's creating chances through takeaways, he's limiting his giveaways, and he's shown some good speed again. He's going to go on another hot streak

Kovalchuk had been on for a very long shift at that point.  I'm not really buying this - he might be a little slower with his first step, but he is still very fast.  I think he's been talked out of taking on defenders 1 on 1 because generally they're too good.

Long shift or not there have been multiple loose puck and 1 vs 1 situations where he has just not demonstrated the burst he had earlier in his NJ stay. the most obvious indicator is the gap tightness NHL defenders are using on him now over the blue line. he used to generate a ton of space, not now!   could be the back, or getting older, but its more than getting tired. 

btw it hasnt effected his edges or turms  still extremely powerful on his cuts, and his hand speed is lightning quick. its just that 30 to 60 mph burst Ive noticed

Edited by EdgeControl

Long shift or not there have been multiple loose puck and 1 vs 1 situations where he has just not demonstrated the burst he had earlier in his NJ stay. the most obvious indicator is the gap tightness NHL defenders are using on him now over the blue line. he used to generate a ton of space, not now!   could be the back, or getting older, but its more than getting tired. 

btw it hasnt effected his edges or turms  still extremely powerful on his cuts, and his hand speed is lightning quick. its just that 30 to 60 mph burst Ive noticed

Again, I'm not buying.  Kovalchuk isn't generating tons of space because he isn't blowing through the neutral zone with speed, and he's not doing that because if the defense is set, they don't want him doing that.  They don't want him constantly challenging defenders one on one or gaining space and pulling up at the blueline as a default play.

Again, I'm not buying.  Kovalchuk isn't generating tons of space because he isn't blowing through the neutral zone with speed, and he's not doing that because if the defense is set, they don't want him doing that.  They don't want him constantly challenging defenders one on one or gaining space and pulling up at the blueline as a default play.

could be, with zajac back in at center he doesnt have to carry as much, and he now has a strong sense of 2-way hockey. but when situation present themselves Im still not sure if neutering him is by design or due to something else.  kovy coming in on the strong crossovers was not always a bad thing

Eh, Chico was saying (and I agree with him on this one) that the game has changed, and part of the reason Kovy's better than Ovechkin now is that he's changed with it. A lot of that fast blow past the d alone stuff doesn't work as the defenses get better and know to look for it. Coming up under control with your linemates often generates better chances.

I also don't buy into that Kovy is slower. The breakout is different than in ATL, when he was there it was just go-go-go, hanging around at the blue line waiting for the puck...that's how he was when McLean was head coach and it's the first thing Lemaire changed, getting them into an organised breakout.

talking about Kovy... doesnt his last 2 goals proves again that the left side is where he REALLY belong ? he scored SO MANY goals from that spot with a snipe... why do we want to change that? 

He is already scoring goals on the left side on rushes so its not an issue. He is all over the place on many rushes and in the offensive zone so I dont see what the issue is, I want Kovy on the RW in the defensive zone so he is not a liability.

Edited by Zubie#8

talking about Kovy... doesnt his last 2 goals proves again that the left side is where he REALLY belong ? he scored SO MANY goals from that spot with a snipe... why do we want to change that? 

Because he can get to that spot anyway on a rush, and he can also score from the right side that way.  He scored 37 goals last year.