Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

I'd like to see Rutgers-Newark and NJIT's theater companies build a midsize theater somewhere on Broad Street so that there would be more of a variety of theaters downtown. Right now in Newark you either have major league sports (Pru Center and Red Bull Park), major theater productions (NJPAC Prudential Hall and Symphony Hall), and tiny shows at some of the clubs. Sure there's Victoria Hall at NJPAC and I believe Symphony Hall has a smaller venue as well, but it would be nice for the colleges to get another midsized option in there. For a private venue it wouldn't make sense at this point, but for the colleges they don't pay taxes anyhow, they aren't running them for profit at any rate and they would allow their theater troupes to gain more exposure with the community as well as providing another midgrade venue for outside performers. As people see Newark more and more as an option for entertainment this would help create a demand for private money to build theaters.

I'd like to see Rutgers-Newark and NJIT's theater companies build a midsize theater somewhere on Broad Street so that there would be more of a variety of theaters downtown. Right now in Newark you either have major league sports (Pru Center and Red Bull Park), major theater productions (NJPAC Prudential Hall and Symphony Hall), and tiny shows at some of the clubs. Sure there's Victoria Hall at NJPAC and I believe Symphony Hall has a smaller venue as well, but it would be nice for the colleges to get another midsized option in there. For a private venue it wouldn't make sense at this point, but for the colleges they don't pay taxes anyhow, they aren't running them for profit at any rate and they would allow their theater troupes to gain more exposure with the community as well as providing another midgrade venue for outside performers. As people see Newark more and more as an option for entertainment this would help create a demand for private money to build theaters.

I would like to see one as well. Maybe they should renovate the old Paramount Theater on Market Street between Mulberry and Broad. They should atleast take the marquee from it.

(Picture from Resurgance City/ Newark USA)

paramount.jpg

Here are pictures from the Tournament of Champions at The Rock from a few weeks ago.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-12.jpg

They had games on the main rink and practice rink and you can roam freely between them (Rather a nice setup for tournaments). It was also refreshing to see hockey in the summer (and with no advertisements on the dasherboards!).

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-11.jpg

Here are banners above the stands in the practice rink.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-14.jpg

Cool Devils Zamboni in the practice rink.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-13.jpg

The three cup banners. I was looking closely at them and noticed that they are the old CAA banners (note the slight differences in the fonts). In sepaking of CAA...

BrettFavresJetsDebutvsRedskinsAug16.jpg

Wouldn't the Amerihealth Pavilion make a nice venue for boxing or small college or high school basketball? It seats 800 and then you could have floor seating as well.

Edited by The Rock 07

What a monstrosity the Meadowlands is starting to look like. I may be going to a concert at CAA/Izod in October, I've got a strange curiosity about it, even though I know I'm going to hate it (the trip/parking/location, not the concert).

We got out of there at just the right time. From the lack of parking to the hideous stack of ship containers called Xanadu to the New Stadium to the painting and renaming of the CAA. It just isn't as easy as it used to be to get there. It really isn't worth it. BTW... the parking there has gone from $12 to $20 and every concession item's price has been increased by atleast 50 cents.

Here's an alley next to Scullys between Commerce and Market that I think would make a nice pedestrian walkway with stores and restaurants like in European cities.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-7.jpg

Looks like ...

Beaver St. It actually connects Market and Clinton.

What a great name for that alley. Especially since it hooks into Clinton. :giggle:

there was a sidewalk kinda cafe setup on it on the Clinton end of it a couple weeks ago. There were a couple Bicycle cops sitting there, but no binis.

BTW, if they do turn it into a cafe type thing the whole length of it, they need to remove the toilet smell from the Market end of the street. Quite the appetite killer.

It actually connects Market and Clinton.

What a great name for that alley. Especially since it hooks into Clinton. :giggle:

Oh yeah sorry about that. I was rushing and posting it during commercial breaks of the Dbacks game. Wasn't thinking. :doh1:

Here are pictures from the Tournament of Champions at The Rock from a few weeks ago.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-12.jpg

They had games on the main rink and practice rink and you can roam freely between them (Rather a nice setup for tournaments). It was also refreshing to see hockey in the summer (and with no advertisements on the dasherboards!).

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-11.jpg

Here are banners above the stands in the practice rink.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-14.jpg

Cool Devils Zamboni in the practice rink.

PrudentialCenterTouramentofChamp-13.jpg

The three cup banners. I was looking closely at them and noticed that they are the old CAA banners (note the slight differences in the fonts). In sepaking of CAA...

BrettFavresJetsDebutvsRedskinsAug16.jpg

Wouldn't the Amerihealth Pavilion make a nice venue for boxing or small college or high school basketball? It seats 800 and then you could have floor seating as well.

Wow so glad the Devils don't play at caa or whatever it's called now anymore.

The old Paramount was exactly one of the places I had in mind. That or the old Adams Theater:

adams2002js.jpg

I doubt any company would want to build a new theater where the Paramount or Adams theaters are. The area around the theater would be too sh!tty to attract any theater companies.

Edited by devils26

Either theater is only a block away from the Prudential Center. The Paramount is actually closer to Penn Station than the Rock is. Either way, the point I was making was that, while at current no private theater company would build a new theater anywhere in Newark, possibly if the Rutgers-Newark and NJIT went in on a collaborative space downtown it would help to foster an atmosphere in which possibly a private company might consider taking that plunge.

Aren't the Devils saying they're going to try to turn one of the local streets into a Yawkey Way kind of place? Anyone remember which street it was?

Yeah, that was Edison Place because that street is closed off anyway. They are going to have vendors and stuff in the entry plaza (where the statue will be) and I hope that they'll have stuff along the street too like up in Boston.

6,666 views... :evil:

Awesome job with the updates, The Rock 07. I'm wondering, who is the driving force behind all of these development ideas? Is it a collaboration between people from the Devils organization and the city of Newark? Is Vanderbeek directly involved?

Whoever is responsible, it's really exciting that the Devils are in the middle of it.

Awesome job with the updates, The Rock 07. I'm wondering, who is the driving force behind all of these development ideas? Is it a collaboration between people from the Devils organization and the city of Newark? Is Vanderbeek directly involved?

Whoever is responsible, it's really exciting that the Devils are in the middle of it.

Thank you. I have been lead to think that it's a collaboration between the Devils and the city of Newark because Newark owns the arena and some of the land parcels around the arena. I do think that Vanderbeek said that the arena and the surrounding projects are his "baby" so I would say that he plays a big part in this.

The circus is coming to Newark!

Newark Ringling Brothers

If you look towards the end of the article, it talks about that big warehouse that's on the Triangle Park parcel. It says that they are going to turn it into a Newark Children's Museum and that the Ringling Brothers are going to have a display in it. It says that the project is in a legal battle and "might" be resolved by next year with completion two years after that.

The circus is coming to Newark!

Newark Ringling Brothers

If you look towards the end of the article, it talks about that big warehouse that's on the Triangle Park parcel. It says that they are going to turn it into a Newark Children's Museum and that the Ringling Brothers are going to have a display in it. It says that the project is in a legal battle and "might" be resolved by next year with completion two years after that.

That link doesn't go anywhere, just to the reply to post screen...