‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Ridiculous. This is our Captain, still. There's no one out there worth dropping this for now. Sal is the least of our worries.

It is Ridiculous to drop NJ pursuit of it's Captain...

But at same time it does irk me that he is having such a tough time deciding -

Devils traded up in draft to get him, Devils have surrounded him with good players, Made him the captain, just went to the freaking Cup a month ago. The team is good, he said the Devils offer is a very competitive offer, - Be loyal, this is your team, the team you wear the C on - Staying in NEW JERSEY should be easier decision. Just my thoughts

im not sure its a good news that he's heading back to his family... of course it could be simply cause he cant make up his mind, take a step back and want to talk about it....

but if he needs to talk to his fiancé about it it im just a bit worried that its because something new came up (like the late push by chicago) im pretty sure they have talked about staying in NJ, move to minny, pittsburgh, detroit already and he knows what she think about it... so if he need to talk to his fiancé again mayyyyybe

OR it could be that he's willing to take a lot less money to stay in NJ and be sure she's okay eating more kraft dinners than expected....

Guys, he's taken two freakin days so far to decide.

He's making a choice that will likely affect his life for the next 10+ years, chill the hell out.

Stop acting like he owes us something as fans. I'd say he's earned the right to take some time here.

I just wish this didn't ruin all of the backup plans if he chooses to sign elsewhere.

This is exactly why I went to make a post in this thread. Now that some of the plan B, C and D's we had for the offseason are not available, what do you think is the next best option if we don't re-sign Parise? Paranteau is in COL now, Hudler to CGY, so what do we do if things go south with Zach? Is Semin really that heartless? Or has he just not been whipped into shape by the right coach/organization? Jagr was mentioned by a few people here, but he just wants the cash, so he's not being had for <$3.5M.

I really wanted Paranteau, whether we signed Parise or not, since he's a RH RW, but now that he's lost, I think Semin could be possible. If his alleged character flaws have really driven down the price on him, it may not be a bad pick up. We're two days into the FA season and pretty much ZERO has been said about Semin. That can't be good for him. I can only assume that he's asking for $5-6M+ and teams are saying no way. If the price of Semin gets down to $4-4.5M, I think he can be a good value. If he can be had for <5 years@<$5M, it's not bad. If it works, you get a steal, if not, dump him for whatever you can get come the trade deadline, nothing lost, nothing gained, right?

*Disclaimer: This is just speculation and my personal thoughts, so don't shoot me.*

im not sure its a good news that he's heading back to his family... of course it could be simply cause he cant make up his mind, take a step back and want to talk about it....

but if he needs to talk to his fiancé about it it im just a bit worried that its because something new came up (like the late push by chicago) im pretty sure they have talked about staying in NJ, move to minny, pittsburgh, detroit already and he knows what she think about it... so if he need to talk to his fiancé again mayyyyybe

OR it could be that he's willing to take a lot less money to stay in NJ and be sure she's okay eating more kraft dinners than expected....

Dude, his fiance isn't Lady MacBeth.

This is exactly why I went to make a post in this thread. Now that some of the plan B, C and D's we had for the offseason are not available, what do you think is the next best option if we don't re-sign Parise? Paranteau is in COL now, Hudler to CGY, so what do we do if things go south with Zach? Is Semin really that heartless? Or has he just not been whipped into shape by the right coach/organization? Jagr was mentioned by a few people here, but he just wants the cash, so he's not being had for <$3.5M.

I really wanted Paranteau, whether we signed Parise or not, since he's a RH RW, but now that he's lost, I think Semin could be possible. If his alleged character flaws have really driven down the price on him, it may not be a bad pick up. We're two days into the FA season and pretty much ZERO has been said about Semin. That can't be good for him. I can only assume that he's asking for $5-6M+ and teams are saying no way. If the price of Semin gets down to $4-4.5M, I think he can be a good value. If he can be had for <5 years@<$5M, it's not bad. If it works, you get a steal, if not, dump him for whatever you can get come the trade deadline, nothing lost, nothing gained, right?

*Disclaimer: This is just speculation and my personal thoughts, so don't shoot me.*

I wanted no part of Parenteau or Hudler. Semin is a good plan B on a short-term deal, and would actually be a pretty good plan A.

Pet peeve of mine when people write that...

I laugh everytime I see it....

Yeah, I had it out with someone over that who will remain nameless.

Not as bad though as "irregardless" or misusing "begs the question."

Edited by Daniel

I wanted no part of Parenteau or Hudler. Semin is a good plan B on a short-term deal, and would actually be a pretty good plan A.

Yeah, I had it out with someone over that who will remain nameless.

Not as bad though as "irregardless" or misusing "begs the question."

What did you not like about Paranteau? I know the money both he a Hudler got was a bit more than I was thinking. I thought that if Paranteau could have been gotten for $3.5ish per, it wouldn't be bad, so $4M isn't awful.

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils

According to Parise's agent, Wade Arnott, a decision might still be announced tonight. If not, then tomorrow.

So today it is. Or tomorrow. Glad they cleared that up for us, lol.

Parenteau I was good with. I think he would fit our first line RW with Zajac and Kovy. Hudler, I was farrrr less enthusiastic about and definitely not at 4M per. Jay Feaster is an idiot.

Its also a really safe bet that Semin isn't doing anything until Zach decides. Thats why I don't get the kneejerking about backup plans. This isn't a Niedermayer situation. That year there was quite a bit available when they took too long, but this year is different. There's not a whole lot on the market this year for UFA fwds, and no one is out there now worth making a rash decision about.

Let's figure out what Zach is doing and then move on. I imagine 24 hours from now (probably less), he will be decided.

Even guys like Carle and Sal are also waiting for Suter. Their value will go up when the losers in the race for these guys have to get someone else.

What did you not like about Paranteau? I know the money both he a Hudler got was a bit more than I was thinking. I thought that if Paranteau could have been gotten for $3.5ish per, it wouldn't be bad, so $4M isn't awful.

He's a guy who wasn't in the NHL until 27. He put up good offensive numbers with the Isles, but I compare that to a someone who averages a lot of points for the Bobcats. Even on a bad team, someone has to put up goals and assists. It just happened to be Parenteau this time around.

I would rather take my chances in the Parise sweepstakes than sign Parenteau. I assume that we couldn't do both.

Edited by Daniel

He's a guy who wasn't in the NHL until 27. He put up good offensive numbers with the Isles, but I compare that to a someone who averages a lot of points for the Bobcats. Even on a bad team, someone has to put up goals and assists. It just happened to be Parenteau this time around.

Rafalski didn't get to the NHL until he was 26. I don't think its necessarily fair to judge someone based on that. He was playing with decent players w/ the Islanders and did his job well. 120 points in two years is nothing to scoff at no matter who you're playing with/for.

Rafalski didn't get to the NHL until he was 26. I don't think its necessarily fair to judge someone based on that. He was playing with decent players w/ the Islanders and did his job well. 120 points in two years is nothing to scoff at no matter who you're playing with/for.

Of course there's always an exception. Rafalski though was playing in Europe and just slipped through the cracks. He also had much more on his resume before his big payday. Parenteau was bouncing around the AHL for a while and had a shot with the Rangers.

You're right though, his numbers aren't anything to sneeze at. I just don't see how he accomplishes much for us, especially when we can't start throwing money around.

I'm so sick of any talk about loyalty. There is next to no loyalty in sports. There is rarely loyalty from GMs to players, players to GM. Players sign a long-term deal and ask to be traded the soon things get bad. Players sign a long-term deal without a NTC and get dealt immediately months after buying a new home and getting settled, or promises made to them by the GM and owners are not kept. And there is certainly no loyalty between players and fans. Fans jump on players the second their production is down, no matter what they have accomplished, not even thinking about what's going on be it a messy divorce, a family member being sick, any other personal thing, or playing through an injury.

No matter where Zach goes, he'll be considered a traitor. If he takes the cash in Minny, he'll be the new Holik, but how many people can pass on perhaps 15-20+ million more, a chance to play in your home state and be considered a local hero for a passionate fanbase that has deserved so much more than they have gotten. If he goes to Pittsburgh, he'll be a loser that doesn't want to write in his own history and instead be a third banana, even though it's a great opportunity and a chance to play on a line with the best player in the game. But if he stays in NJ, he'll be cheered for a while until the first time his level of play dips, and people will be ripping the contract and saying what a poor decision it was to pay top dollar for an overrated NHLer. How quickly did fans get on Kovalchuk, be it with boos in the arena or message board rants?. Didn't one fan throw his jersey on the ice? This isn't a knock on Devils fans specifically, just the way it is with all fans. The first extended slump, it's happening in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately sports world. It's really a lose-lose.

In the end, Zach Parise doesn't owe much to this organization or fanbase. Yes they drafted him but if they didn't, it be the next team picking or the next after that. Since day 1 he's been a consummate professional, a class act and given it his all every single team he got on the ice. He's now a free agent and has the opportunity to chose any team he desires. That's his right he's been given. He's going to make the best decision for himself. Regardless what many people here think, he isn't going to be brainwashed by his agents or his father. He'll seek guidance, but he can figure things out himself. He knows what NJ has to offer be it the good or bad. But put yourself in his position being wooed like possibly no free agent in NHL history. There are no right or wrong choices from the teams involved. This is the rest of his career we are talking about, so he should take as long as he needs.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

You're right though, his numbers aren't anything to sneeze at. I just don't see how he accomplishes much for us, especially when we can't start throwing money around.

He accomplishes a lot more if we got him when Zach walked. He's averaging 60 points per season with an Islanders team that was not much outside of him, Tavares and Moulson, and now Okposo. Put him with Kovy, Zajac, and/or Henrique/Elias and I think we'd see similar success. Out of all the options available on the market, he was one of the better ones. I do think 4M is a bit high for him, but thats the going market price. If we weren't spending 7-8 on Zach, Id have been fine with 3-4 for PA.

Besides the point now and I understand the reasoning, but I think it would've been a risk worth exploring.

With luck, we'll just keep Zach and wont have to think of a replacement.

Parise's agent said there still may be a decision tonight. I doubt that happens though. I don't expect ZP to know what he wants after 2 or 3 hours after saying he doesn't know. This should be over by tomorrow midday hopefully.

Parise's agent said there still may be a decision tonight. I doubt that happens though. I don't expect ZP to know what he wants after 2 or 3 hours after saying he doesn't know. This should be over by tomorrow midday hopefully.

I think its possible at least. His fiancee may be one of the types that has her mind set on things and pushes him lol. You're probably right though, I'm guessing he's going to sleep on it another night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.