2010 NFL thread

MadDog2020

Things you might have missed:

*Most of the discussion on TOLT (The Other LT) was not just about last year, but the last 3 years of decline.

*If SD felt as strongly as you, they would have kept him, instead they felt that Sproles is more effective.

*The Jets O-line is disappointed in this move as a group. They even took out an ad in the KC paper congratulating TJ and wishing him luck as he was the spiritual leader of the offense the last two years. Although the ad comes allegedly from the TEAM, this was initiated to calm down the Jets O-line.

"I can tell you, it's not going to be a popular move in the locker room," said one player, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "We loved T.J. The man loved the game and put it all on the line only to get dumped after his best season. I think you should reward players for performance. You dump him but give Vernon (Gholston) another shot? Doesn't make sense." Zing-a-ling! Three other vets, offensive linemen Alan Faneca, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody, said Jones' intangibles and production will be difficult to replace. "It just goes to show the business side of the game, when such a productive guy like T.J. is released," Faneca said in an e-mail. "To be so close last year, and then for T.J. not to be there with us going after the ring again is what hurts." It creates "a major void," Moore said. "A passionate guy like that, with the intensity he brought at certain points in the game, it ignited sparks in everybody. You would've liked to have kept a guy like that." Said Woody: "Some players bring things to the table that you can't put a price on, and T.J. is one of those guys." The move is indeed a head scratcher.

Would not be surprised to see Tony Richardson go back to KC as well to follow TJ.

Even if Leon Washington is healthy, the TOLT signing pretty much makes him expendible and he will probably sign elsewhere. So when TOLT and Green inevitably get hurt this year your running game will be reduced to Jason Davis????

Edited by MantaRay

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*EDIT: And as far as Leon goes.. NOBODY'S going to sacrifice a 2nd Round Draft pick on Washington before seeing him play after surgery first-&-foremost, (so you can forget about him going elsewhere) and even if it takes some time for him to regain his form, his mere presence makes opposing defenses pinch

Who the hell was talking about another team signing Washington (to keep it as you like to do :P).... we're more talking about him EVER playing again or how much damage a busted wheel will do to a guy that was all speed in the first place??? I'd not touch him for anything coming off THAT kind of injury now.....

Its official now, Jets sign Tomlinson for 2 years/$5.2M, which is slightly more than what the Chiefs signed Jones for.

Er....

Figures...while Tomlinson was the only move the Jets could make given the silly FA rules it's just - ick! Jones MIGHT start a decline this year, Tomlinson started it two years ago. Citing his 12 TD's is silly, he got a lot of gimme's and rushed for 700 yards with a lousy YPC.

It's just typical of the Jets, setting themselves up for the 'season after' fall like in '83, '99 and now next year. Woody should be less concerned with who's hosting the first game at the Meadowlands and more concerned with letting his GM know it's okay to spend money with no cap.

Edited by Hasan4978

Things you might have missed:

*Most of the discussion on TOLT (The Other LT) was not just about last year, but the last 3 years of decline.

*If SD felt as strongly as you, they would have kept him, instead they felt that Sproles is more effective.

*The Jets O-line is disappointed in this move as a group. They even took out an ad in the KC paper congratulating TJ and wishing him luck as he was the spiritual leader of the offense the last two years. Although the ad comes allegedly from the TEAM, this was initiated to calm down the Jets O-line.

Would not be surprised to see Tony Richardson go back to KC as well to follow TJ.

Even if Leon Washington is healthy, the TOLT signing pretty much makes him expendible and he will probably sign elsewhere. So when TOLT and Green inevitably get hurt this year your running game will be reduced to Jason Davis????

Now now Manta, let Beez enjoy this. It'll be all the more hilarious when the Jets crash and burn this year like they always do. No one's lying down to let them in the playoffs this year, and when Tomlinson blows out his knee, we can all point and laugh.

Who the hell was talking about another team signing Washington ?? (to keep it as you like to do :P)

Three headed monster???? That is the lamest monster in the league---assuming that A.) Washington is healthy, B.) HE DOESN'T TAKE OTHER OFFERS.

Going forward.. READ before monkey'see-monkey'do cracks Scott.

...until then, here... you can play with these. :rolleyes:

Oh stop Manta. They can fart around and kick stones all they want. Come September, it's business as usual. That's an offensive line, that takes incredible pride over their digest of work.. and trying to insinuate that they'll pout and\or hotdog their way throughout the season is looney. There was no one more admired and respected in this organization than Chad Pennington.. and when he got the boot for Brett, the o'line worked just as hard. (if not harder) I can't acknowledge these quotes to be anymore than gratitude. You're reading too much into them.

...and as far as Richardson goes; http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=228505

Citing his 12 TD's is silly, he got a lot of gimme's and rushed for 700 yards.

What's silly is discrediting LaDainian's touchdown's as being "gimmies", while being compared to the league's #1 rushing attack. The *700+ more yrds* debate was already covered. (over 100 more rushing attempts for Jones) As for citing his TD's.. are you serious? Jones had 6 rushes broken off for 30 yrds or more in the 4th quarter of garbage time games last season. Looking at Tomlinson's & Jones' Redzone production for last season (or "gimmie TD's" as you like to call it) is like monitoring the wardrobe of identical twins. :noclue:

2009 Redzone Stat's

LT: *52 Rushes, *11 Touchdowns, *108 Yards.

TJ: *52 Rushes, *11 Touchdowns, *112 Yards.

Now now Manta, let Beez enjoy this. It'll be all the more hilarious when the Jets crash and burn this year like they always do. No one's lying down to let them in the playoffs this year, and when Tomlinson blows out his knee, we can all point and laugh.

Ryan-Bird.jpg

...nice new sig btw. :thumbsup: And to think, I had thought Porter actually meant something to you guys. :giggle:

Edited by Beezer34

Oh stop Manta. They can fart around and kick stones all they want. Come September, it's business as usual. That's an offensive line, that takes incredible pride over their digest of work.. and trying to insinuate that they'll pout and\or hotdog their way throughout the season is looney. There was no one more admired and respected in this organization than Chad Pennington.. and when he got the boot for Brett, the o'line worked just as hard. (if not harder) I can't acknoledge these quotes to be anymore than gratitude. You're reading too much into them.

What's silly is discrediting LaDainian's touchdown's as being "gimmies", while being compared to the league's #1 rushing attack. The *700+ more yrds* debate was already covered. (over 100 more rushing attempts for Jones) As for citing his TD's.. are you serious? Jones had 6 rushes broken off for 30 yrds or more in the 4th quarter of garbage time games last season. Looking at Tomlinson's & Jones' Redzone production for last season (or "gimmie TD's" as you like to call it) is like monitoring the wardrobe of identical twins. :noclue:

2009 Redzone Stat's

LT: *52 Rushes, *11 Touchdowns, *108 Yards.

TJ: *52 Rushes, *11 Touchdowns, *112 Yards.

Ryan-Bird.jpg

...nice new sig btw. :thumbsup: And to think, I had thought Porter actually meant something to you guys. :giggle:

Porter is ALMOST a bigger piece of sh!t than His Fatness. Almost. :P

I did, I made a direct comment about you talking about the Jets protecting Leon via the 2nd round tender.... in my opinon the protection was not neccessary cause I'd NEVER (look uber-fancy!) take that gamble on a guy they were talking his career might be OVER, especially on a running back when there are 10-15 backs a year who come into the league and become productive... so yeah, read the comments back sometimes... it might be good for ya B )

but it's ok "Every year is the Jets year until that year is this year, then it always seems to become next year!"

Just look how many teams don't make the playoffs two years in a row in the NFL, not easy is it

Figures...while Tomlinson was the only move the Jets could make given the silly FA rules it's just - ick! Jones MIGHT start a decline this year, Tomlinson started it two years ago. Citing his 12 TD's is silly, he got a lot of gimme's and rushed for 700 yards with a lousy YPC.

It's just typical of the Jets, setting themselves up for the 'season after' fall like in '83, '99 and now next year. Woody should be less concerned with who's hosting the first game at the Meadowlands and more concerned with letting his GM know it's okay to spend money with no cap.

I agree, the Tomlinson signing was stupid. Why sign him over Thomas Jones for more money, when Jones has been better the past two years? It's just overpaying for the name and "star power." The signing will in all liklihood be a bust although I prefer Tomlinson in the lockerroom over Jones who has been a malcontent for a while.

I hope someone signs Leon but no GM is that stupid. The Jets will have three RBs. Two of which will be broken.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Couple of under the radar moves for the Bills which I like:

Buffalo and DE Dwan Edwards have agreed in principle to a four-year deal worth $18 million. Edwards is expected to sign the contract later on Wednesday.

Bills also sign ILB Andra Davis formely of Denver to a two year deal.

Both good fits for the 3-4...good run stoppers...finally, a competent front office (so far) LOL

Edited by LOTCB

Couple of under the radar moves for the Bills which I like:

Buffalo and DE Dwan Edwards have agreed in principle to a four-year deal worth $18 million. Edwards is expected to sign the contract later on Wednesday.

Bills also sign ILB Andra Davis formely of Denver to a two year deal.

Both good fits for the 3-4...good run stoppers...finally, a competent front office (so far) LOL

Who is running the show these days?

Oh stop Manta. They can fart around and kick stones all they want. Come September, it's business as usual. That's an offensive line, that takes incredible pride over their digest of work.. and trying to insinuate that they'll pout and\or hotdog their way throughout the season is looney. There was no one more admired and respected in this organization than Chad Pennington.. and when he got the boot for Brett, the o'line worked just as hard. (if not harder) I can't acknowledge these quotes to be anymore than gratitude. You're reading too much into them.

That is true, but they took pride in what they accomplished with TJ, now they are starting from scratch with a different type of runner.

A lineman considers being the #1 rushing team a group accomplishment, a little different than pass blocking.

I know the O-line will be strong again this year, but I doubt very much that they will have the accomplishments they garnered the past two years.

I was ready to crown the Jets AFC Champions this year, but they seem (IMHO) to be unraveling.

Who is running the show these days?

Buddy Nix, who worked under Bill Polian, AJ Smith and John Butler at various times over the years and is a well respected person within the NFL.

The Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel is Doug Whaley, who served as a pro scout for the Steelers over the past 10 years.

So on the surface at least, the Front Office has been massively upgraded.

But until they find a QB and a RB who can stay away from the police, all bets are off.

It also looks like Arizona will be battle for the starting job: the just signed Derek Anderson and maybe looking at others.

I've always liked Derek Anderson, nice to see him get the keys to a car that can drive a few miles for once, that should be an interesting QB battle

What about San Fran now? That also should be interesting.

they signed someone pretty awful didn't they???

it's amazing how a franchise can go from Joe Moe to Young to even Garcia and now can't find a guy who can throw the ball 15 yards for a decade!

Yep, saw that the other day... Good luck with that Arizona. Lmao.

IMO Porter put some teeth into a pretty tame defense while he was there. I know he had problems with the coaching staff, but I thought Porter had a pretty successful stay with the Fins. Arizona just seems to be reverting back to its proud tradition of mediocrity.

According to NFL.com as well as ESPN.com the NFL owners approved the new OT rules *FOR POST SEASON ONLY*....they will be as stated:

The team winning the coin toss will get possession and will win if a TD is scored on that possession. However, if a FG is scored the opponent will then get possession. If that team scores a TD the game is over and they win, if they score a FG then possession changes once more and the next team to score, by any means will be the winner. If the game is tied at the end of the initial overtime then a new OT will presume with the same rules.

Apparently they still have time to initiate the rules for this season and will even discuss adding this format (minus the multiple OT's) for the regular season as well when owners meet again in May...

interesting to say the least..means this past SB could've been different with the Saints pulling out the OT victory on a first possession FG during the NFC championship...