GDT: New Jersey @ Toronto - 2/21/2012

NJCroMag

So the Devils win...Rags lose. Guess who is top headline and who isn't even on NHL.com

We had the main headline on TSN though for a while... since replaced by Flyers... but we are still in their top 3 box, "Claim to Fayne"

I'll take this bday victory... but just felt that game tying goal in the 3rd coming.

Was reading the comments on the tsn.ca postgame report, from a Leafs fan

When your team has some holes, they can be patched up. When your teams hole is a goalie, who plays 60 minutes of a hockey game, thats nothing to patch up unless you go out and get something. GET ON IT BURKE!!

Burke over rates his players. The entire top 3 lines are softer than warm butter (with the exception of Lupul). What happened to truculence Burke ?? I don't see it

We had the main headline on TSN though for a while... since replaced by Flyers... but we are still in their top 3 box, "Claim to Fayne"

I'll take this bday victory... but just felt that game tying goal in the 3rd coming.

The Leafs are usually the top headline on TSN only if they won.

Okay, David Clarkson is second overall on the Devils in terms of goals scored with 23. He is one ahead of Parise and two goals behind Ilya. So my question to the board is as follows: Are we living in a Bizarro Superman Universe? Because if we are, I'd really appreciate it if you guys let me know.

Did Martys .903 go up?

He was actually at .904 coming into this one. It went up slightly, but is still shown at .904.

Hedberg: 2.53 GAA, .908 save%

Brodeur: 2.54 GAA, .904 save%

Not too many would've thought these would be their numbers a couple of months ago.

Okay, David Clarkson is second overall on the Devils in terms of goals scored with 23. He is one ahead of Parise and two goals behind Ilya. So my question to the board is as follows: Are we living in a Bizarro Superman Universe? Because if we are, I'd really appreciate it if you guys let me know.

He's clearly worked hard, but it seems like he's gotten his share of good bounces and good fortune...I'd be shocked if he ever had a season like this again. Going forward I wouldn't expect much more than 20 goals out of him in any given season. But he could wind up with 30 this season (just when you think a slump is coming, he gets a couple of goals...he has 16 in his last 34 games...it's such an incredibly pleasant surprise).

He's clearly worked hard, but it seems like he's gotten his share of good bounces and good fortune...I'd be shocked if he ever had a season like this again. Going forward I wouldn't expect much more than 20 goals out of him in any given season.

It's so hard to say if he's overpaid or underpaid over his contract, which is a mark of a decent contract (or inconsistent player). You look at last year, and think 2.6mm was a vast overpayment... this year, it looks a lot better... and next year he's done with the contract.

Clarkson is not going to be a 30-40g player. He might hit 30 on luck, but he finds luck with his play.

Why does this team always suck at holding 3rd period leads? Does Pete ever address this? Publicly? Oh well take the 2 points and move on.

What's he supposed to do, eviscerate the team in the media when they're fifteen over and on a roll since the break? They don't have the personnel to shut down games, unless they extend the lead. There's no Pronger walking through that door, hell they're missing three of their normal top six as it is. Just about every team has their achilles heel and holding a late lead is ours.

It's so hard to say if he's overpaid or underpaid over his contract, which is a mark of a decent contract (or inconsistent player). You look at last year, and think 2.6mm was a vast overpayment... this year, it looks a lot better... and next year he's done with the contract.

Clarkson is not going to be a 30-40g player. He might hit 30 on luck, but he finds luck with his play.

I think his contract is fair. $2.6 mil isn't a whole lot in today's NHL. This year it's been a great value for sure.

This will be a career year for him, more than likely. But if he becomes a consistent 20 G, 35-40 point-type who continues to subtly improve the other parts of his game, and at reasonable cost (around $3 mil) I'd happily take that.

What's he supposed to do, eviscerate the team in the media when they're fifteen over and on a roll since the break? They don't have the personnel to shut down games, unless they extend the lead. There's no Pronger walking through that door, hell they're missing three of their normal top six as it is. Just about every team has their achilles heel and holding a late lead is ours.

Yeah, this. The team is 35-20-4 and 9-1-1 in their last 11. Not too many expected this when they were 12-12-1 and looking very shaky. The third periods can be tough to stomach sometimes, but it's not like it's costing them tons of points. They've been able to overcome it most nights.

I'm sure DeBoer is aware of it, as is his staff, and I'm sure they're working on it. Fortunately they have time...23 games to improve on that.

I'm sure DeBoer is aware of it, as is his staff, and I'm sure they're working on it. Fortunately they have time...23 games to improve on that.

Not only do they have time to address it, but they've already established a track record of successfully addressing glaring issues. Anyone remember the last shorty the Devils surrendered? The last time it seemed the Devils couldn't get a win without needing the shootout? The last time anyone called for Adam Oates' head because of the PP? Or the last time anyone complained about our nonexistent offense? Hell, this team has even beaten the Rangers in their last two meetings, including Marty besting Paddy McDouchepad in a goalie duel.

I haven't had this much confidence in a Devils coaching staff over the course of a full season in a long time.

• Like 1

Not only do they have time to address it, but they've already established a track record of successfully addressing glaring issues. Anyone remember the last shorty the Devils surrendered? The last time it seemed the Devils couldn't get a win without needing the shootout? The last time anyone called for Adam Oates' head because of the PP? Or the last time anyone complained about our nonexistent offense? Hell, this team has even beaten the Rangers in their last two meetings, including Marty besting Paddy McDouchepad in a goalie duel.

I haven't had this much confidence in a Devils coaching staff over the course of a full season in a long time.

yeah, this. who could complain about blowing last night's lead? happened on a total fluke play. meanwhile the devils continued to get scoring chances in the 3rd that they couldn't convert on.