2013 MLB Thread

nmigliore

DR33 usually does the honors in creating this thing but we're a week away from the season beginning and I feel a bit silly bumping the 2012 thread, so, here we are.

A couple of great pieces of baseball reading came out this week:

First is this fantastic interview between Jonah Keri and Coco Crisp on the art of base-stealing. Some really cool stuff in here with Crisp breaking down a bunch of examples of him stealing in various situations: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9072118/jonah-keri-art-stealing-bases

And then this article penned by Eno Sarris who interviews Joey Votto on hitting: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/joey-votto-on-hitting/

Don't mind the websites, it's nothing saber-minded or anything, just some great baseball writing.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My predictions:

Standings

AL East winner: Blue Jays

AL Central winner: Tigers

AL West winner: Angels

AL Wild Card 1: Rangers

AL Wild Card 2: Rays

AL Sleeper: Indians - I like what they did this offseason, and although they look more like a .500ish team on paper, there's certainly large enough error bars to push them into wild card contention with rebound seasons from the pitching staff (Jimenez, Masterson, the reincarnation of Kazmir) and Trevor Bauer looming.

NL East winner: Nationals

NL Central winner: Reds

NL West winner: Diamondbacks

NL Wild Card 1: Braves

NL Wild Card 2: Cardinals

NL Sleeper: My sleeper would be the D-Backs, but I have them winning the NL West, so that feels sort of cheap. If I had to put something down, I'll say the Rockies are probably better than they are being credited for. I don't see them contending or anything, but I could see a near-.500 team, which would be a heck of an improvement over last season and compared to what some of the projection systems think of them (CAIRO: 72 wins, ZiPS: 70 wins).

Awards

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera (yeah, boring pick and he probably won't win it again, but he's probably the safest bet to be in the race year in and year out)

AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander (see Cabrera)

AL Rookie of the Year: Wil Myers

NL MVP: Joey Votto

NL Cy Young: Stephen Strasburg

NL Rookie of the Year: Shelby Miller

Edited by nmigliore

You don't have the Giants or Dodgers even making the playoffs?  Interesting.

I think the Rangers fall off, especially with all the other improving teams in the AL.  The AL East is a total crapshoot.  Toronto has the most talent, but they're Toronto, and a collection of hired guns so who really knows if they live up to it.

You don't have the Giants or Dodgers even making the playoffs?  Interesting.

It's a tough division to predict. You can make a good case for any of those three teams to win it, really. They all look like 85-or-better win teams on paper. I just really like Arizona; their starting pitching depth is probably tops in the league which can help them sustain success if/when injuries/ineffectiveness occur and they were better than their record credited them for last year. Admittedly, I also chose them partly because I wanted to be a little bold/different from the standard Dodgers/Giants pick. I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't at least in the wild card race. The Dodgers are the real bust team of the group; tons of hype but plenty of question marks and holes for a $200M+ roster.

I could see the NL West 2nd place finisher grabbing a wild card spot too, but I went with St. Louis.

I'd do a redo on my Rookie of the Year pick though; totally blanked on Jed Gyorko of San Diego and Shelby Miller of St. Louis.

Edited by nmigliore

Apparently today is the day to hand out massive contract extensions to star players. Verlander tacked on 5 years to his current deal, which makes it 7/180 plus a vesting option that could push it to 8/202. Buster Posey gets 9/167, starting this year. Kershaw may also be extended over these next few days.

As we can clearly see, the Johan Santana situation has been taken as a very big, cautionary tale by MLB GMs.

lol I was gonna say it seems like MLB GM's subscribe to the Lou theory of not wanting to do extensions during the season with all the extensions getting done hours before Opening Day.

WOW this probably trumps the Harper homers: Clayton Kershaw is dominating, 3 hits through 8 innings, and is sent up to bat in the bottom of the 8th because of his low pitch count. He hits a solo homerun to leadoff the inning. Unreal.

I hate the Rangers but I always cheer for guys to get no-hitters and perfect games (unless its the Red Sox) so I feel bad for Yu Darvish. I'm still sad that Mike Mussina never had a perfect game after numerous near completions of the feat. I remember being crushed as a 13 year old when he lost it with one out to go against the Red Sox and Carl Everett.

• 2 weeks later...

Craziness in Cali last night...I'll let the video, tweets, and article give the details.

Greinke breaks collarbone after hitting Quentin

After he was plunked on the left shoulder in the sixth inning, Quentin started walking toward the mound. Greinke appeared to say something and Quentin then charged the 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner.

They dropped their shoulders and collided, and Quentin tackled the pitcher to the grass. Both ended up on the bottom of a huge scrum as players from both sides ran onto the field and jumped in. Greinke lowered his left (non-throwing) shoulder into Quentin and took the brunt of the blow as they collided.

After the teams started clearing the field, Jerry Hairston Jr. came running across the field yelling and pointing at someone in the San Diego dugout and had to be restrained. Dodgers slugger Matt Kemp also was livid, perhaps in part because Padres starter Jason Marquis threw a high-and-tight pitch to him in the first inning.

All this on a 3-2 pitch in a 1 run game. Mattingly pointed out that Quentin crowds the plate and Quentin really overreacted. Mattingly was rightfully pissed in the post game press conference. Hairston Jr was apparently pissed because a Padre was making fun of Greinke's injury. Here's the video of the brawl:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26208555&topic_id=11493214&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_26208555&v=3

But apparently the festivities didn't end there...
@MartyCaswell
"Players just ran out of Dodgers clubhouse...appears Matt Kemp and Carlos Quentin went after it in players parking lot"
"Kemp and Quentin were nose-to-nose and had to be separated by Clayton Richard"

The Dodgers twitter actually had a pretty good message to San Diego:
BHoPEbnCQAED_m4.jpg Edited by thefiestygoat

Pretty awesome pregame ceremony at Fenway honoring the victims and first responders in the Boston Marathon bombings. 

David Ortiz with a glorious quote, on live television: "This is our fvcking city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom." 

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/20/4246276/david-ortiz-red-sox-pregame-ceremony

Edited by nmigliore

• 1 month later...
I think it's time to call the D-Backs the D-Bags this season. 

Back in April you had the situation where Quentin overreacted and charged Greinke after accidentally being hit and ended up causing Greinke to miss a lot of time. Then tonight Puig gets hit in the nose (accidentally but warrants retaliation due to it being the face). Greinke does the right thing by retaliating by hitting Montero in the back which by the unwritten rules should've been the end of it. Kennedy then hit Greinke to escalate the situation and allow all hell to break loose.

I just don't understand what the D-Backs were thinking. I think the Dodgers have every right to be pissed. I was a fan of Ian Kennedy even though he didn't work out for the Yankees. Lost some respect for him tonight. All the links to the HBP's, benches clearing, brawl, etc. are on mlb.com

Yea I saw this. Absolutely bullsh!t from the D-Bags. You hit their star player, you should expect some retaliation. But no, you can't leave it at that.

Not only do you hit their Ace pitcher but you also threw at him high. I can't believe it, it's such trash

I actually went the opposite way with this one.  Yeah, d-bag move to pop Grinke, but you notice that both highly publicized bench-clearing brawls involve Zack Grenke/LA Dodgers starts?  I'm not going to stand here and absolve Kennedy/Gibson/et al of wrongdoing here, but the Dodgers have built themselves a real punk team and now they're getting into it.

Funny line from Yahoo's coverage of this:

''It got pretty ugly,'' Montero said. ''They came out of nowhere, just throwing punches. When everybody was trying to break it up, they just kept coming and throwing punches. It was like 25 against 72, because all the DL guys were out there, too. I guess their arms were feeling pretty good because they were throwing good punches.''

I actually went the opposite way with this one.  Yeah, d-bag move to pop Grinke, but you notice that both highly publicized bench-clearing brawls involve Zack Grenke/LA Dodgers starts?  I'm not going to stand here and absolve Kennedy/Gibson/et al of wrongdoing here, but the Dodgers have built themselves a real punk team and now they're getting into it.

Funny line from Yahoo's coverage of this:

Note: For some reason my mind thought Quentin was on the D-Backs last night when I was posting...shows how much NL baseball I watch and how tired I was.  :doh1:  I'll leave my original post unedited for accuracy and embarrassment. 

I can't really get on Greinke or the Dodgers at all for either situation. The Quentin thing doesn't happen if he was even keeled and realized he wasn't getting thrown at on a 3-2 pitch in a 1 run game. When you crowd the plate, you'll get hit unintentionally. Last night doesn't happen if the D-Backs follow protocol and just leave it as is, after the Dodgers justly hit Montero. I love brawls but I was disappointed last night that to see the D-Backs break the code and escalate the situation.

I believe their is supposed to be some sort of fine for players on the DL that get involved in bench clearing situations. Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Dodgers were really out in full force though, even Kershaw throwing punches which I'm sure no Dodgers fan wanted to see.

OT: I just read that the Dodgers sometimes use Kershaw as a pinch runner? Are they nuts?