67 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

The last non elite QB to win a Super Bowl was Brad Johnson, unless you want to count Ben the first time around. It's been all HOF'ers since for a reason, it's more of an offensive league every year.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Speaking of elite QBs, Tom Brady will soon have thrown 200 more TD passes than interceptions for his career (he's currently at 316 TD and 118 INT)...Peyton Manning had done that already (he was the first to do it in the history of the NFL...he's now at +215 for his career). But a lot of that for Brady came from 2007-on...his numbers before that were very good, but since 2007 (including the 2008 season, where he didn't even finish the first half of the first game) he's thrown for 169 TD and just 40 INT. That's insane.

But the guy who could really wind up with insane career numbers, especially from a TD-INT ratio, is Aaron Rodgers. He's at 157 TD and 43 INT (already +114, and he's only 28 years old...at the rate he's going, if he stays healthy, he could crack +200 in a few years, with several years left in his career)...suffice it to say no other QB has come anywhere starting off their career with a ratio like that...not Brady, not Manning, not Montana, not Marino...no one. Clearly he's terrific, but is he really going to be the best who's ever played the game, even though his career numbers are going to clearly be off-the-charts and will suggest as such? The QB numbers (a lot of offensive numbers, really) from this era are going to be so goofy compared to other eras...some who didn't grow up watching Brady will see his numbers up until 2006 and from 2007 and will wonder how he suddenly got to be so much better from a statisical standpoint...it's almost Barry Bonds-like.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 November 2012 - 08:06 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#63 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

The last non elite QB to win a Super Bowl was Brad Johnson, unless you want to count Ben the first time around. It's been all HOF'ers since for a reason, it's more of an offensive league every year.

Still don't believe the franchise quarterback uber alles theory. When we're talking about a sport where 22 players are on the field at any given time, where very important calls (pass interference, holding) are highly subjective, and where you have single game eliminations in the playoffs, no one thing is necessary or sufficient to win a Super Bowl. Last year, the Super Bowl was within a field goal of being Niners/Ravens or Alex Smith/Flacco. But for injuries on the Ravens, that could have been the Super Bowl match-up this year. They're "good enough" quarterbacks that could realistically be upgraded with someone else. In 2003, Jake Delhomme's Panthers were beaten by a field goal by Tom Brady's Patriots. The game hasn't fundamentally changed THAT much since Brad Johnson's Super Bowl win.

Sure, you obviously do everything in your power to get the franchise quarterback. But being obsessed with it can make the situation worse. For example, Mark Sanchez, although he's been bad the past two years, has shown in the past he can succeed in the playoffs. It would be a really bad idea to dump him for just anyone else, much less Tim Tebow, or to draft a QB like Barkley, Geno Smith or even Landry Jones, all three of whom are very far from sure things. You could say the same thing about a player like Carson Palmer.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#64 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

The QB numbers (a lot of offensive numbers, really) from this era are going to be so goofy compared to other eras...some who didn't grow up watching Brady will see his numbers up until 2006 and from 2007 and will wonder how he suddenly got to be so much better from a statisical standpoint...it's almost Barry Bonds-like.

Someone will just have to explain to him or her what SpyGate was and that Belichick went FU mode on the league.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Someone will just have to explain to him or her what SpyGate was and that Belichick went FU mode on the league.

But it's not like Brady's the only one who's seen his numbers explode. I posted Rodgers' numbers. Finishing a season with a 2-to-1 TD-to-INT used to be a big deal in the NFL...anything approaching 3-to-1 was considered pretty awesome. Now you've got guys putting up seasons like Manning's 49-to-10, Brady's 50-to-8 and 36-to-4, Rodgers' 45-to-6 last season...I remember when Brady was 30-to-2 at one point during the '07 season, that seemed like it could never happen again, but we're seeing ratios like that more and more. Imagine back in the mid-90s, someone finishing with numbers like that...it'd be nuts.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

But it's not like Brady's the only one who's seen his numbers explode. I posted Rodgers' numbers. Finishing a season with a 2-to-1 TD-to-INT used to be a big deal in the NFL...anything approaching 3-to-1 was considered pretty awesome. Now you've got guys putting up seasons like Manning's 49-to-10, Brady's 50-to-8 and 36-to-4, Rodgers' 45-to-6 last season...I remember when Brady was 30-to-2 at one point during the '07 season, that seemed like it could never happen again, but we're seeing ratios like that more and more. Imagine back in the mid-90s, someone finishing with numbers like that...it'd be nuts.

I got you. It's a passing league with rules that make it that the receiver can't be touched. You have some QBs with no running games either that just use a spread offense, and it really can't be stopped for the most part. You just need those aggressive coaches ready to keep calling those plays no matter the score. It helps that the defenses for all the QBs with these historic numbers have been awful. Add in freak athletes that we have never seen before at the receiver and TE position, and defenses are screwed.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I got you. It's a passing league with rules that make it that the receiver can't be touched. You have some QBs with no running games either that just use a spread offense, and it really can't be stopped for the most part. You just need those aggressive coaches ready to keep calling those plays no matter the score. It helps that the defenses for all the QBs with these historic numbers have been awful. Add in freak athletes that we have never seen before at the receiver and TE position, and defenses are screwed.

I have to admit, I think the balance between offense and defense is out of whack in the NFL. I know the league had to start protecting its QBs better, but every Sunday when I see the ticker start scrolling, and I see QBs routinely starting games 8-for-8, 6-for-6...it just feels off to me. The Pats' D is pretty bad, especially in their secondary, but it seems like in EVERY NFL game I see there's guys so wide-open all over the place...it almost looks too easy...I don't ever remember seeing receivers open so often from game to game.

It's not like different leagues haven't seen their balance thrown off before...MLB was becoming so dominated by pitching in the 60s that they lowered the mound in 1968. And we've seen the NHL continually trying to find way to restore offense to its 80s totals, when average-scoring teams were scoring as many goals as the top-scoring NHL teams do now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 November 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Oops, hit the wrong button

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 November 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users