GDT: Preseason Game 1: Rags @ Devs

Coorslight

What you just stated just proved his point. It does slow down the game as those seconds that are just usually melted away with the icing are now actually played and therefore dragging the game on longer.

I understand what you're saying about me proving his point. But it depends on how you look at it.

It slows down the actual elapsed time of the game... but as far as GAME PLAY, it eliminates the time that is essentially wasted with no actual competitive hockey play, as the defenseman skates back to touch up. I consider a fast paced game one where teams are actually competing against each other with time on the clock, not burning time with a formality like skating back and touching the puck.

At the end of a game with the goalie pulled that can be 5-7 seconds of time per icing.

Edited by oofrostonoo

And lastly Larsson, who to me, just looked bigger out there.  He played 25 minutes, all situations, and looked pretty good - I wish he'd take fewer hits, but his skating looks to have improved.  We'll see what happens when the real games start, but I'm hoping he can put last year behind him.

I really agree with your "take fewer hits" ... I was thinking the same thing...apparently he hasn't lost that habit and this is going to be a big problem

I mean, defensemen get hit.  It's if he can avoid getting run by the Rinaldos of the world - that'll do him a lot of good.

agreed, but it just seems like he's not focused on it enough.. like getting hit when he could have avoided it by being alittle more aware... he still has some growing to do and the season is long

Just posted this on HF in response to a Flyers fan, but I thought I would share it here:

The 10 game losing streak lasted from March 25-April 15. So here are the results with shots on goal:

Ottawa 3-2 SO: 34-14 NJ

TB 5-4 SO: 25-25

Florida 3-2 OT: 30-26 FLA

NYI 3-1: 25-21 NJ

Bos 1-0: 40-26 NJ

TOR 2-1: 28-18 NJ

BUF 3-2 SO: 39-26 NJ

BOS 5-4: 28-18 NJ

Ottawa 2-0: 33-11 NJ (!)

Toronto 2-0: 32-13 (!)

If you average it out, NJ outshot their opponents 31-20.2 in that span and lost 10 straight. That doesn't happen and you can imagine the frustration that was building losing game after game while dominating crap teams

Just posted this on HF in response to a Flyers fan, but I thought I would share it here:

The 10 game losing streak lasted from March 25-April 15. So here are the results with shots on goal:

Ottawa 3-2 SO: 34-14 NJ

TB 5-4 SO: 25-25

Florida 3-2 OT: 30-26 FLA

NYI 3-1: 25-21 NJ

Bos 1-0: 40-26 NJ

TOR 2-1: 28-18 NJ

BUF 3-2 SO: 39-26 NJ

BOS 5-4: 28-18 NJ

Ottawa 2-0: 33-11 NJ (!)

Toronto 2-0: 32-13 (!)

If you average it out, NJ outshot their opponents 31-20.2 in that span and lost 10 straight. That doesn't happen and you can imagine the frustration that was building losing game after game while dominating crap teams

Also shows how rotten the goaltending was during that timeframe.

I don't disagree with the point...but if Larsson were a different type of d-man and avoided hits a la Rolston/Pronger we'd be calling him soft.

People already call him soft, which is ridiculous.  He's not afraid of taking a hit to make a play.  Part of it is getting bigger so he can withstand those hits - he looked bigger last night.