New Devils Financial News

njdevil26

I Don't know what your talking about but if you say so... I was at a Nets game on a Wednesday and it was packed solid, not a seat available...go figure?

That's simply not true. My friends a fan and I went to a handfull of games last year. Not once was there more than 10 people in a single section in the 200's or the balcony. Tickets were less than a dollar all year long on stubhub.

That's simply not true. My friends a fan and I went to a handfull of games last year. Not once was there more than 10 people in a single section in the 200's or the balcony. Tickets were less than a dollar all year long on stubhub.

it might be true, but only if the opponent was the celtics, heat, knicks, or lakers. i don't know if those teams sold out, but i would believe that they could.

It takes me just as long to get from rt.80 to the exit off of 280 as it does to get from that exit to the Rock if you want to talk about congestion! Let me see rt. 80 or Mulberry St. lol you've got to be kidding...how many hockey fans take the train to Newark, I'm guessing not many. Just think of all the cops you don't need. I'm sure a lot of Devil fans stay away from the Rock because of the crime, the shootings, robberies and just the whole bad Image Newark portrays. On the other hand Parsippany would portray a more family friendly atmosphere.

Just a thought, but have you ever had to drive WESTBOUND on 280 or 80 between 5 and 7 pm on a weekday? Especially through Essex and Passaic Counties to get to your beloved Parsippany? You by driving EASTBOUND on those highways are going AGAINST traffic at that hour.

To be fair, depends where you live. I took the trains once from Dover and would never do it again. I've driven in 15+ times and find it so much easier and quicker.

You could drive to South Orange, park for free and spend much less on transit. You could also take 287 towards one of the Raritan Valley stations and go straight into Penn Station.

I'm sure a lot of Devil fans stay away from the Rock because of the crime, the shootings, robberies and just the whole bad Image Newark portrays.

Yet attendance has gone up since the move, like it or not. Haven't you heard of Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, D.C. and LA? Do fans stay away based on the crime in those cities?

taking the train is about 40x better than driving.

I don't miss driving either...but if you're going with a group or live far away frequently it costs less to split one parking fee. Plus when I take the train on weekends I have an hour layover in Newark from the time the game ends till the next train arrives at Broad Street.

Coming from Long Island (Mid-Suffolk county), I pretty much have no choice but to take the train. I go LIRR to NY Penn, then hop on the PATH train to NWK Penn. Even though this trip takes about an hour and a half, it is exponentially better than driving in.

Driving to the Meadowlands was hard enough. If anyone is still driving in to The Rock, I highly encourage you to get on mass transit. You won't regret it.

I don't miss driving either...but if you're going with a group or live far away frequently it costs less to split one parking fee. Plus when I take the train on weekends I have an hour layover in Newark from the time the game ends till the next train arrives at Broad Street.

A roundtrip ticket from Somerville to Newark is $20.50 per person. So for my girlfriend and I that is $41. After the game, the train leaves at 10:08 on weekdays and it gets to somerville around 11:10 and by the time we get through the door of our home it is about 11:20ish.

A parking lot in a green zone lot is $15 for the car and after the game we take rt 78 home to 287 and then 206 and we are usually home by about 10:30 the latest.

Driving is a ton easier, faster, and more comfortable as I rather deal with a little traffic than loud, obnoxious underage kids or college kids who have been drinking all night at the game and using a curse word as every other word in their vocabulary.

Yet attendance has gone up since the move, like it or not. Haven't you heard of Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, D.C. and LA? Do fans stay away based on the crime in those cities?

That is a terrible example I'm sorry. Those are major cities with safe and dangerous neighborhoods with metropolitan areas spanning many millions of people. There are between NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, and MLB there are 15 pro sports teams within a 2 hour drive of my house. Compare that to 4 in Detroit, 5 in Chicago, 3 in St Louis, 5 in DC, and 5 in LA (2 MLS, 1 NHL, 2 NBA).

Fans in Detroit never have to go through Hamtramck and awful sections of the city to get to Red Wings games.

In Chicago, there's a massive mass transit system. The arena is also on W Madison street which is a short drive from the downtown area with the skyscrapers and stuff.

Fans in STL don't have to go through East STL and and the southern part of the city where it's rough. The arena is right in the downtown area.

DC has the cleanest metro in the country.

Same with LA. The Staples Center is located directly downtown and is surrounded by attractions, businesses, and tons of people.

In ALL of these cases, the metro system and highways make it so you would never know these ghettos and dangerous areas even exist.

In Newark, you're going right into the heart of the bad area. Have you been down Market St? Where those other cities you mentioned would have nice restaurants, Macys and other upscale retail, and expensive apartments, Newark has discount shoes, ghetto clothing, gated and boarded buildings, and not one building that is under 50 years old it seems. If you're on Broad St and make ONE wrong turn up Clinton Ave... you are immediately in one of the most dangerous areas of the country. The subway is not usable for the Prudential Center. Ironbound aside, there's nowhere for hockey fans to even live in Newark.

Besides Ironbound, Newark is a garbage dump. If you're not going to a game or out to eat in Ironbound, there's no reason to ever go there. If you find yourself on any South numbered street when the sun goes down, you might as well slit your wrists on the sidewalk and leave your car unlocked to be taken.

Every city has bad areas... but in this case, Newark IS A BAD AREA all together.

Coming from Long Island (Mid-Suffolk county), I pretty much have no choice but to take the train. I go LIRR to NY Penn, then hop on the PATH train to NWK Penn. Even though this trip takes about an hour and a half, it is exponentially better than driving in.

Driving to the Meadowlands was hard enough. If anyone is still driving in to The Rock, I highly encourage you to get on mass transit. You won't regret it.

I did it a few times on Saturdays when I wanted to drink and not worry about having to drive... but the Rock is a 15 minute drive from my house. We, EVERY TIME, get free parking on the street. For me, at least, driving is cheaper and easier.

Really. I would like to see your scientific concrete data and sources to back this up.

My scientific concrete data is that I know a few science teachers. My source are my eyes. Considering that I'm at about 80% of the nets home games. I see way more jews than any other grouping of people. And if we're gonna talk about a business/money making aspect; do you really think the arena makes any money off the 1200 $30-60 seats black people buy or the 120 $1000-2000 seats jews and celebrities buy?

While I don't mind what we have now...takes about 45 minutes w/out traffic for me and my pops to get to the Rock and it's easier to get to the CAA ever was, I personally would have prefered the arena to be have been built in Parsippany. I know a lot of people are going say it wouldn't make sense mass transit wise but it would be easier to get to then going to Newark. The traffic there on Fridays is outrageously awful. Hoboken is a great city but from what I remember hearing the parking situation would have made it a terrible choice. I remember hearing if it was in Hoboken that there would be this underground parking lot or rooftop parking lot (something like that). That would have been a disaster. A disaster of the old Meadowlands caliber where it took you FOREVER to leave (especially if there was horseracing going on). The land over in Parsippany might have been more expensive to obtain then the land over in Newark but putting an arena there wouldn't have been too far-fetched. A lot of the area by there is wooded. You could have easily created it's own exit (A'la PNC Bank Arts Center)

Whenever I pass by Parsippany to go to games I always wonder why they never thought of moving the team over there. The land in Newark must have came really cheap.

I currently live in Parsippany, and formerly lived in Hoboken. Both of those towns would have been a disaster if an Arena was constructed there. While Parisppany is accessed by a number of major roadways (80, 287, 46, 10), they are ALWAYS jammed with traffic during rush hour. There is no train station in Parsippany (with the exception of the Mount Tabor stop that can't even be considered a train station). Getting there just wouldn't be very convenient for most people, especially those traveling from Middlesex, Monmouth, and Bergen counties. In addition, most people felt the area around the CAA was isolated, and this area would have been the same thing.

Hoboken is too small of a city to capacity the population it has now. The streets are narrow, there's not enough parking, traffic on Observer highway is always a mess, and the backup of traffic entering the Holland Tunnel (which you will have to sit in to get to Hobken when coming from 280 and 78) can add more than 30 minutes to your commute. The town is just too small to hold a major spaorts arena, not to mention there are not enough direct trainlines to Hoboken from all areas to make mass transit a major option.

Plus, the whole idea was to put the team into a city with mass transit nearby. They hoped that they could do for Newark what the Verizon Center, Camden Yards, and numerous other buildings did for their respective areas, which was spur private development through the creation of stores, restaurants, bars, and hotels. This hasn't happened yet on the scale they had hoped for. The horrible economy since the arena opened is likely the primary reason for this.

I have to say, Newark is a crime ridden city. However, the Newark PD does a great job of policing the area around the Rock. I never feel unsafe or in danger going to or from a game, even when I bring my 3 year old. If you are not knowledgeable about Newark (or are too worried for your safety), then stick to the major roadways (Rt. 21) or, if you take mass trasnit, walk through the Gateway Center buildings to enter and leave the area around the arena and you will have no problem. I think the whole issue regarding people's concerns for their own "personal safety" in Newark are way overblown.

Fans in Detroit never have to go through Hamtramck and awful sections of the city to get to Red Wings games.

Neither do our fans. And the Joe is still located in an awful part of downtown according to folks who have been there(including Red Wing fans).

In Chicago, there's a massive mass transit system. The arena is also on W Madison street which is a short drive from the downtown area with the skyscrapers and stuff.

It's not located within downtown, it's located in one of the rougher areas of the city. Even Devils fans who have been there say it's much worse than where our arena is located. As far as the subway, distance between the arena and station(which has 1 line) is longer than the distance between the Rock and Penn Station(which has multiple transit lines and an indoor skywalk up near the arena).

Fans in STL don't have to go through East STL and and the southern part of the city where it's rough. The arena is right in the downtown area.

What about the fans using Metrolink coming through E. St. Louis and others? St. Louis is still ranked near the top of most dangerous cities in the nation like Detroit.

Same with LA. The Staples Center is located directly downtown and is surrounded by attractions, businesses, and tons of people.

Also borders South LA and prostitution remains a problem outside the LA Live area. Folks coming in from the south have to go through bad areas too.

In Newark, you're going right into the heart of the bad area. Have you been down Market St? Where those other cities you mentioned would have nice restaurants, Macys and other upscale retail, and expensive apartments, Newark has discount shoes, ghetto clothing, gated and boarded buildings, and not one building that is under 50 years old it seems. If you're on Broad St and make ONE wrong turn up Clinton Ave... you are immediately in one of the most dangerous areas of the country. The subway is not usable for the Prudential Center. Ironbound aside, there's nowhere for hockey fans to even live in Newark.

Sorry, is there a Macy's next to the Joe or United Center? What you just described on Market Street is what you described for the areas immediately surrounding the Joe United Center, even north and east of the Verizon Center(been there 2008 and 2009, I can vouch for this). As shabby as that area is, it's not the heart of the bad area, that would be further west. And why would you make a turn up Clinton Avenue when you have 21, Broad Street and the trains to take?

The subway is 2 blocks away with a line that has a station in Bloomfield with a park/ride. How is it not useable?

Besides Ironbound, Newark is a garbage dump.

If you honestly believe Ironbound is the ONLY good area of the city you're kidding yourself. I've been throughout the city, live closeby and that statement is so ignorant it's not even funny. Most of North Newark would like a word with you. Same with the downtown CBD(didn't know skyscrapers, NJPAC, museums and others=garbage dump). It's fine if you hate Newark so much, but if it's so bad why would they put an arena and the state's performing arts center there? Edited by Marv4Life

To be fair, depends where you live. I took the trains once from Dover and would never do it again. I've driven in 15+ times and find it so much easier and quicker.

The Morris-Dover line is joke getting to Newark. First, it lets you off at Broad Street Station, then you need to catch a bus to the Rock. It takes close to an hour on the train, and it costs each person almost as much to take the train as it does to park. I drive from Parsippany and get to the arena is less than a 1/2 hour. The train may be a better option from places in Monmouth and Middlesex Counties, but not from most of Morris County. But that's why they chose to build in Newark to begin with, it provides everyone with an option to get there.

My scientific concrete data is that I know a few science teachers. My source are my eyes. Considering that I'm at about 80% of the nets home games. I see way more jews than any other grouping of people. And if we're gonna talk about a business/money making aspect; do you really think the arena makes any money off the 1200 $30-60 seats black people buy or the 120 $1000-2000 seats jews and celebrities buy?

So I guess u go around asking everyone that attends a Nets game what religion they are and what their income is? and u came to the conclusion that everyone who is white is a Jew? hmmmmmmm. Definitely hard to believe or you are pulling our leg or you are a racist.

I think the ADMINS should consider banning you from this forum if you are a racist.

Edited by hattrick

You need to end this talk now dude. This sh!t is ridiculous, and as racist as I have seen anything posted on this board.