Hedberg waived. Will be bought out presumably.

ghdi

There's been a false misconception around this forum that Moose was horrible last season. He had a bad stretch toward the end when his team decided not to play D in front of him. Sure, that gets magnified over a shortened season, but lets not forget how stellar he was early in the season. The Devils asked a lot of him. Good luck Moose, hope you come back in a front office role.

No, he was awful.  He had 3 great games early where he gave up 2 goals total.  He had one other game during the year where he gave up 1 goal.  He also had 1 game last year where he faced more than 30 shots.

There's been a false misconception around this forum that Moose was horrible last season. He had a bad stretch toward the end when his team decided not to play D in front of him. Sure, that gets magnified over a shortened season, but lets not forget how stellar he was early in the season. The Devils asked a lot of him. Good luck Moose, hope you come back in a front office role.

Yeah, stellar in 3 games. Then he went 4-11-1, including a 7 game winless streak. He finished with a .883 save percentage. I love the guy, but that was a horrible season.

No, he was awful.  He had 3 great games early where he gave up 2 goals total.  He had one other game during the year where he gave up 1 goal.  He also had 1 game last year where he faced more than 30 shots.

Yeah, stellar in 3 games. Then he went 4-11-1, including a 7 game winless streak. He finished with a .883 save percentage. I love the guy, but that was a horrible season.

Disagree. If youre just looking at his W-L and g.a.a. and not his actual play and the team's play in front of him, then youre not getting the bigger picture. Like I said, he did have that bad stretch, but the Devils played some terrible hockey in front of him at times. He gave his team a chance to win many nights.

Disagree. If youre just looking at his W-L and g.a.a. and not his actual play and the team's play in front of him, then youre not getting the bigger picture. Like I said, he did have that bad stretch, but the Devils played some terrible hockey in front of him at times. He gave his team a chance to win many nights.

I saw his actual play. It was bad. Very bad. There was a reason Kinkaid got such an ovation when he debuted, and it's because everyone had lost confidence in Moose. He gave up 4 or more goals 6 times in 19 games. 

The Devils played great defense in front of him.  Yeah, there was the occasional breakway or odd-man rush, but sometimes as a goalie you have to stop SOME of those.  Not all of them, just SOME.  Felt like he never did.

Many of us were begging PDB to put a rookie with a chance into the line up. Liking a guy is fine but those games killed us. Look how close it was at the end of the season. Just winning four of his stinkers would have put the Devils in the Post season. Sure the scoring could have done the same, but you have to start somewhere for a solid foundation.

The Devils played great defense in front of him. Yeah, there was the occasional breakway or odd-man rush, but sometimes as a goalie you have to stop SOME of those. Not all of them, just SOME. Felt like he never did.

Just to add, I remember Moose having quite a few plays where he came out and mishandled the puck which led to the other team scoring.

I saw his actual play. It was bad. Very bad. There was a reason Kinkaid got such an ovation when he debuted, and it's because everyone had lost confidence in Moose. He gave up 4 or more goals 6 times in 19 games. 

But again, thats asking a 40 yr old career backup to play long stretches with many games close to one another. He clearly got rattled at times, but I think he held up admirably and made some big saves the many times our D left him to dry (especially early-on). His numbers last year didnt do him justice.

The Devils played great defense in front of him.  Yeah, there was the occasional breakway or odd-man rush, but sometimes as a goalie you have to stop SOME of those.  Not all of them, just SOME.  Felt like he never did.

It seemed like he stopped a good number of breakaways and odd-man rushes...every islander game immediately comes to mind.

But again, thats asking a 40 yr old career backup to play long stretches with many games close to one another. He clearly got rattled at times, but I think he held up admirably and made some big saves the many times our D left him to dry (especially early-on). His numbers last year didnt do him justice.

It seemed like he stopped a good number of breakaways and odd-man rushes...every islander game immediately comes to mind.

So? That's part of his job description. He is supposed to be prepared to play when he's asked and provide us with at least average goaltending when called upon. He didn't do that. Stop trying to rewrite history. He had a bad season last year, end of story. It doesn't mean he's necessarily done, in fact I think he could bounce back and be a decent back-up again next year if he gets a contract and if he wants to.

The Moose seemed like a great guy, too bad. It was a smart move, but it sucks for him.

He did us well leading up to the lockout, shame to see this happen but with 2 40+ year olds in net, it was inevitable.

best of luck to him in the future, a front office job with the Devils definitely would not hurt.

I don't think anyone dislikes Moose in the slightest...he's regarded as a class act across the board, and a hard worker.  First two years here were terrific.  But it was obvious to everyone that the Devils couldn't possibly go into next season with that same tandem, which was going to be even older than it already was.  Sucks for Hedberg in that I'm sure he would've loved the chance for redemption, but Lou did everything he had to to improve what was looking like a major question mark heading into 2013-14.   

I'm going to miss moose. He didn't have a good year but I remember him making some great saves and playing really well for 90% of several games then just giving up some really bad uncharacteristic goals. It made matters worse considering NJ's offense rarely showed up last season as well.