Has PDB said for sure

Blown01NJ

Marty definitely deserves the outdoor game. That's a 'legacy game'. I have no problem with him starting it. And even as someone who HIGHLY values making the playoffs and has been critical of his play this season, it would be wrong to not give Marty this particular game- its the first Devils outdoor game, and likely the only one Marty will have a chance to play in. I think a vast, vast majority of the fanbase has no problem with him starting. At least I hope.

Agree, I think most fans are a little nervous about what might happen, but you roll the dice with Marty here.  He's earned this start, and there's no way the Devils would ever take that away from him.

And yeah, fine if Marty gets this game, but then Schneider should get the two games before and the two games after.  If Marty starts in Nashville on the road on 1/31 (second game of a back-to-back), I'll live with it.

Brodeur is playing unless he comes down with the flu or tweaks something in practice. I wouldn't mind this so much if we had a nice cushion in the playoff race, but we need this game...the last thing I want to see is 30,000 Ranger fans chanting his name as he lets in some short side floater to Carl Hagelin from 30 feet out.

This will also be his last legacy game. After the Rag game the Devils will have 28 regular season games left. Brodeur should start no more than 7 of them

If he starts tomorrow or against Washington I will be furious.

Agree with everything you said here.  But we all know he will be getting more than 7 starts over the last 28 games.

Marty deserves this game. Not only that, but Marty has proven this year that he can really get up for the big big big games. 

I'm thinking back of games like our win in Boston (away), our 3-0 win in Philly (away, when we absolutely needed it), two wins at MSG vs. the Rags (and he made KEY saves), our New Year's Eve win vs. Pittsburgh, and last week's big performance in Montreal where he made key saves after letting in one stinker.

I'd be more worried if this outdoor game was against the Sabres, but I think Marty will really get up for a game like this. He seems more likely to play sh!tty against the lower end teams than the big games/teams, but at this point in his career, can still show up for the big game.

Don't forget, quick-paced offensive hockey won't be played that day. No fast plays, quick side-to-side passing, one-timers, etc., things that the quicker younger teams usually have on our defense (and Marty). It will be slow chippy play and I think Marty and our D can shut down and excel in those conditions.

Edited by DJ Eco

Marty deserves this game. Not only that, but Marty has proven this year that he can really get up for the big big big games. 

I'm thinking back of games like our win in Boston (away), our 3-0 win in Philly (away, when we absolutely needed it), two wins at MSG vs. the Rags (and he made KEY saves), our New Year's Eve win vs. Pittsburgh, and last week's big performance in Montreal where he made key saves after letting in one stinker.

I'd be more worried if this outdoor game was against the Sabres, but I think Marty will really get up for a game like this. He seems more likely to play sh!tty against the lower end teams than the big games/teams, but at this point in his career, can still show up for the big game.

I don't necessarily think the opponent has that much to do with it...I think it's more coincidental.  You just don't know what you're getting from Marty from game-to-game anymore.  It wouldn't surprise me if Marty played well on Sunday and it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled.  Marty is a box of chocolates at this point in his career.   

I don't necessarily think the opponent has that much to do with it...I think it's more coincidental.  You just don't know what you're getting from Marty from game-to-game anymore.  It wouldn't surprise me if Marty played well on Sunday and it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled.  Marty is a box of chocolates at this point in his career.   

It could 100% be coincidental, and yeah, I agree, you never know what you're getting from him, especially in the 1st period.

This isn't a serious post, right?

why would it be not serious? i mean yea i know the game is worth 2 points against a divison opponent and swapping between goalies wouldnt be the optimal thing to do but its still a historical game, if he was trying to be fair between the two

i wonder if he would do something like let marty play periods 1&3 and have cory play the 2nd so everyone gets to play in the game?

I think there's a few reasons not to do this:

1) No team would think of doing this in any other game in the regular season; this shouldn't be approached any differently, just another game to get 2 points in.

2) It's going to be reeeeeally cold. If you split the periods, you're putting a "cold" and unprepared goalie out there at the beginning of each period.

3) It takes players and goalies a period or so to get used to the conditions and how to play, especially Marty with his stick-handling. By the second period, we should hope that Marty's acclimated to the weather and the conditions and style of play, so changing him in the second period would be a huge no-no, it's like asking Cory to play catch-up. You're putting another goalie out there that needs a period or so to get used to the conditions.

I think there's a few reasons not to do this:

1) No team would think of doing this in any other game in the regular season; this shouldn't be approached any differently, just another game to get 2 points in.

2) It's going to be reeeeeally cold. If you split the periods, you're putting a "cold" and unprepared goalie out there at the beginning of each period.

3) It takes players and goalies a period or so to get used to the conditions and how to play, especially Marty with his stick-handling. By the second period, we should hope that Marty's acclimated to the weather and the conditions and style of play, so changing him in the second period would be a huge no-no, it's like asking Cory to play catch-up. You're putting another goalie out there that needs a period or so to get used to the conditions.

yea i was thinking all of this.. and i doubted they would do something like switch between them... i was more so just saying it would be a chance to let each of them get some time in the game.. im sure marty will get to play the game as i think he should

I respect Dominik Hasek too mouse, but yeah, I don't care if Brodeur gets the outdoor game provided he doesn't get any of the games around it.  

Agreed with this. I also think, like I said before, that if Marty's going to get games, this is actually a fairly good one to give him, even ignoring the sentiment. Considering how long it's been since Schneider played a full season as the starter, I don't think you can ride him as hard as you could Marty in his prime, so you're gonna have to get Marty some games.

Or who knows, Marty might have a good game and the Devils will win.  It's basically a 50/50 proposition.

im banking my bucks on this.. were 3 and 0 playing the rags so far this year and we beat them in the pre season also so may as well call it 4-0... not to jynx anything but im pretty hopeful they will come out hard and do what they need to do

Or who knows, Marty might have a good game and the Devils will win.  It's basically a 50/50 proposition.  

He might play well so there are two options but that doesn't make it a 50/50 proposition. 

That said, I'm more interested in the playoffs than Brodeur's farewell, but he gets the game and I understand that

He might play well so there are two options but that doesn't make it a 50/50 proposition.

That said, I'm more interested in the playoffs than Brodeur's farewell, but he gets the game and I understand that

My very rough estimation is that he plays well in at least half of his games. I don't know if that's as good as other goalies (certainly not Schneider, who probably plays well in 80 percent of his games). But it does not mean that Marty is this automatic loss that people seem to think all of the sudden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone's talking about brodeurs farewell its almost a guarantee he is back here again next year ...might as well not be in total denial about it

That would be a mistake on our part and his part.  We have a transition this year, next year it's all Schneider or otherwise I could see him being fed up and either asking out this offseason or stringing along to UFA and bolting.

My very rough estimation is that he plays well in at least half of his games. I don't know if that's as good as other goalies (certainly not Schneider, who probably plays well in 80 percent of his games). But it does not mean that Marty is this automatic loss that people seem to think all of the sudden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much this.  Sure, he could go out and not play well, at which point some will say "See!  See!", but that same group will say "Why the hell is Marty starting?!" every time Marty gets a start, and not say much when he plays well.  Yeah, he's about 50-50 these days. 

That would be a mistake on our part and his part.  We have a transition this year, next year it's all Schneider or otherwise I could see him being fed up and either asking out this offseason or stringing along to UFA and bolting.

I'm really hoping Marty's not back.  It's been debated to death...some fans hate the idea of him ever wearing another team's jersey, so they'd rather have him back just so that doesn't happen.  Not me.  If all goes according to plan, Cory starts 55-65 games next season.  That's 17-27 games or so someone else will be starting next season.  Everyone's done the math...Marty will be 42 years old, has never been a backup before, likes to play, and probably won't ever really think of himself as a true backup...not to mention no one has any idea if he can do the job in the first place.  I'd rather have a backup here who KNOWS and accepts what his role would be, and isn't thinking about when he can take #1 spot whenever Cory has a little slump.  Marty should also hopefully realize that even the greats lose their battles to age, no matter how hard they work to stave it off.  Guys his age just don't tend to be terribly good at stopping pucks, with rare exceptions. 

I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling Lou is going to get Cory locked up pretty quickly this offseason (if Cory finishes with a sub 2.00 GAA and a save% approaching .930, I don't see what Lou has anything to gain by waiting or trying to lowball him...you know the guy is good, you don't need another year to be sure about it, and you don't have anyone in your system you feel can replace him...otherwise, you're not giving up a higher 1st-rounder for him), and will make a fair deal, at the longest possible term, meaning that if Marty was back, it won't be nearly as big of an issue.  Cory surely knows Marty won't be here much longer.   

The good thing is that, as long as Cory continues to play well (he won't continue to put up a 1.11 GAA and .960 save% like he has in his last 7 games, but no one's asking him to), and gets the bulk of the remaining starts, he'll go into next season as the undisputed #1 guy...even better would be if the Devils make the playoffs, and he starts every playoff game.  That would cement his status. 

So hopefully, next season Cory's locked up, and someone else is backing him up.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

if marty doesnt come back next year who do we end up with as a back up wedgewood?

Kinkaid is outplaying Wedgewood this year, but knowing Lou, it would be someone from outside the organization. Like a Clemmensen, Yann Danis, Al Montoya type most likely. Someone who can be relied on for a few starts, assuming the Devils are ready to give Schneider 60 starts or so.