2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

All of a sudden the drafting of Geno Smith doesn't look quite as bad..

I would still like another vet brought in from somewhere. Tyler Thigpen perhaps.

..either that or Byron Leftwich. They're the only 2 QB's I would be alright with signing given our situation. Knowing the Headline-Jets though and how they go about doing things.. do not be a bit surprised if they do something insane, like bring back Tebow, or sign Vince Young.

I never thought David Garrard would last 'till July, so I can't say I'm that surprised. Hell of a player, former Probowler in his day.. but the guy was completely shot. He was done before Miami signed him last year.

The appropriate thing for the Jets to do now is nothing! Don't sign anybody. Put Sims on the practice squad like they were going to do anyway, and let Geno, McElroy & Sanchez duke it out in a 3-way comp.

There's no shot they bring back Tebow, he's even hard-pressed to get backup offers from the Arena league.  I mean in a way it's like the poor kid's getting blackballed, with all the ****ty QB's around you'd figure someone would take a shot on him, but they just don't want the circus that comes attached especially considering what it did to us last year.

I do think it's pretty fortuitous that Garrard didn't retire before we cut Tebow or we might still have him :P

All of a sudden the drafting of Geno Smith doesn't look quite as bad....

I would still like another vet brought in from somewhere. Tyler Thigpen perhaps

Yeah, I never trusted Garrard to stay healthy anyways.  If we didn't draft Geno it'd be round two of the Mark/Tim circus again.

There's no shot they bring back Tebow, he's even hard-pressed to get backup offers from the Arena league.  I mean in a way it's like the poor kid's getting blackballed, with all the ****ty QB's around you'd figure someone would take a shot on him, but they just don't want the circus that comes attached especially considering what it did to us last year.

The biggest obstacle standing in Tebow’s way is Tebow. He may come of has having humility, but his insistence on playing quarterback contradicts it. Likewise, Tim’s ego loves his cult-following.. otherwise he’d embrace changing positions. As rabid as his fans are, I have a hard time believing they’d remain as passionate following Tim Tebow the fullback.. and believe me, Tebow knows that.

..on point, nothing would surprise me anymore with the Jets regarding the QB position. (especially given the fact that our owner is head-over-heels for TT) I know it would be a PR nightmare if Tebow were to come back, but after what happened last season with Braylon calling the entire organization idiots.. thus, THAT’S what got him to return.. I’ve learned that; **If it doesn’t make sense.. then the Jets will give it a try.**

If Geno Smith is named the starter, there’s no emergency hatch to open come Week 5 if the Jets suck. You couldn’t bench him and go to Sanchez, you’d kill the kids career before it’d even start. That’s why I think Sanchez starts opening day. #1) It gives Geno a longer time to absorb the playbook\offense. #2) If the Jets start the year 1-4, you could pull the plug on Sanchez and never look back.

I do think it's pretty fortuitous that Garrard didn't retire before we cut Tebow or we might still have him :P

Yeah, I never trusted Garrard to stay healthy anyways.  If we didn't draft Geno it'd be round two of the Mark/Tim circus again.

Tebow is probably as nice a guy off the field as one could ever meet, and he seems pretty genuine, but at the same time there's just something so damned ANNOYING about him, and I think more and more people, from fans to franchise's personnel decision-makers, are feeling that way about him.  It's like you say...it's like NO ONE in the NFL wants anything to do with him. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jets-rb-mike-goodson-arrested-drug-weapon-charges-153801547.html

What a fvcking idiot

now I doubt there was any criminal intent (actually this is the kind of thing rednecks do in the south all the time, get wasted, and then start shooting things)

but still, how stupid can you be?

lol 2 funny. thats 2 signings now that have been a wa$te of money for the jets in garard and goodson

lol 2 funny. thats 2 signings now that have been a wa$te of money for the jets in garard and goodson

Garrard retired before playing a game so they don't owe him anything. Technically he wasn't a waste of money. Goodson may be depending on where this goes...

Do the Jet's not do their homework?  Background checks? Character assessments?  Or do they just sign anyone that desperate to sign with them.?

Ray Lewis killed a guy

as far as Goodson, he had no previous disciplinary issues

Rolando McClain who you JUST SIGNED was arrested 3 weeks ago and then retired

..that's what happens when you have 12 players tied to 2 positions. (Geno, Simms, Garrard, Tebow, McElroy, Sanchez, Goodson, Powell, McKnight, Ivory & Griffin) I'm all for healthy competition, but what Idzik is doing is over-saturation.. and by sole attrition, it's taking care of itself. I'll give him a mulligan thus far, being that he's still relatively new to the gig.. but if he has any brains going forward, he'll leave the QB\RB position(s) well enough alone.

Sadly, I fear I'm wrong.. and the Garrard\Goodson replacements in the form of; Bradshaw, Young, Hillis, etc, are already under way.

I don't think they're going to lose sleep over his 100k signing bonus (which won't even go against the cap)

..yeah, the money's not the issue. My gripe is the infatuation with outside guys being brought in, who've done NOTHING with this team. Meanwhile good soilders like Sanchez, McKnight, Braylon, etc.. whom actually WANT to be here, are being chased out. --that don't jive with me.

Edited by Beezer34

• 4 weeks later...

..good article.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/kellen-winslow-jr-trying-to-resurrect-career-with-jets-1.5461571

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally published: Tuesday - June 11, 2013 8:47 PM _ Updated: 9:50 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN kimberley.martin@newsday.com (Follow Kimberly on Twitter)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Kellen Winslow Jr. bristled a bit Tuesday when asked about the trajectory of his once-promising career. For all his talent, the former 6th overall pick in 2004 now finds himself here: on a minicamp tryout with the New York Jets, and in desperate need of work. But by no means does Winslow, still just 29, believe he's past his prime. And any insinuation that he hasn't lived up to his potential won't be taken lightly.

"Yeah, I don't like that question," the tight-end said, long after a crowd of reporters had dispersed. "I mean, I've had a productive career. That's just how it goes sometimes. It's out of your control. I did well in Seattle when I was there in camp. My last full season in 2011, I caught 75 balls. Sometimes, it just comes down to money and you can't do anything about it. That's just how it goes." Winslow, a former Pro Bowl player with five seasons of at least 65 catches or more, believes he has "years left" in the NFL. But he has just days to impress the Jets. He looked good earlier today catching two passes in Tuesday's practice, but it's much too early to tell if the Jets will sign him. "Obviously, Kellen Winslow was a tremendous player in this league for a long time -- one of the premier receiving tight ends in the game," coach Rex Ryan said. "So we'll see how he responds. It's going to be recovery more than anything else, how healthy he is."

Winslow said he feels good physically. But only time will tell how he responds to the Jets' minicamp regimen and Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast system. "I'm really excited," he said of the opportunity. "I've just got to learn the offense. I'm used to some of the terminology, but some of it's different. It'll take me some time, but I'll get there."

Winslow compiled nearly 2,000 receiving yards with the Browns in just two seasons in Cleveland, from 2006 to 2007. He put up respectable numbers during the next few years in Tampa Bay too, but Winslow said the Buccaneers' losing record during his tenure (17-31) overshadowed his productivity. He was traded to Seattle in May 2012 but was released after he declined to take a paycut. In September, he signed with the New England Patriots, but after playing in just one game, he said he asked to be released. "It was a great spot, and I respect the heck out of them for it." said Winslow, whose father is a Hall of Fame tight end. "But it was going to be hard for me. I didn't go through training camp with them. I went through training camp with the Seahawks. The Pats have Gronkowski, they've got Hernandez, so where did I fit in?"

Winslow had hoped he'd find a better situation

in 2012 after leaving New England, "But I didn't get picked up last year." he said. "Yeah, it was shocking. But it just makes me more hungry."

• 1 month later...

Braylon Edwards at the Jets facility taking a physical...

hopefully he checks out ok and they sign him.

Depending on how healthy Santonio is (and how much time he misses if any) I’m more confident going into this season with Braylon than without him. If everyone’s healthy you’re looking @ Holmes, Kerley, Edwards, Hill, Winslow & Cumberland as the weapons for Sanchez.. with Ivory, Goodson, McKnight & Powell in the backfield. Far from amazing, but not nearly as horrible as last season’s squad of; Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, Marty Gilyard, Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner, and Derrick Epps.

I’ve always maintained that Bray’s magnetism\harmony with Sanchez was what made them so great playing together. When looking at Braylon Edwards career, and the group of quarterbacks he’s played with (outside of Sanchez) you got: Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Richard Bartel, Russell Wilson, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, and Alex Smith. Edwards has a real chance here to resurrect not only his own career, but potentially salvage Sanchez as well.

Oct 12, 2009;  -This was Braylon's debut game as a Jet on MNF vs. Miami, and he saved the most amazing TD catch of his career for it.

Dec 19, 2010;  -Jets vs. Pittsburgh. This was Edwards best season as a Jet. He had nearly 1,000 yrds, and 7 TD's. I remember this game because he was absolutely uncoverable! There was nothing the Steelers could do to stop him. He finished the night with 100 yrds, and 8 first downs!

Jan 16, 2011;  -The image of Edwards dragging 2 Patriots with him into the endzone is not only one of my favorite Braylon Edwards moments.. but one of my favorite Jets moments of all time. You know the rest.. Jets beat the Pats, and advance to their 2nd consecutive Championship game.

Dec 17, 2012;  -Bray’s first game back after being reaquired against the Titans on MNF. He finishes the night with 50 yrds on 3 catches (playing roughly only around the offensive plays) @ about 60% healthy, battling a hamstring.. off 3 days of reps, practice, and learning a new playbook.

July 24, 2013.. JETS BRING BACK THE BEARD!!!  :rock: 

..fixed!

Edited by Beezer34

When looking at Braylon Edwards career, and the group of quarterbacks he’s played with (outside of Sanchez) you got: Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Richard Bartel, Russell Wilson, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, and Alex Smith.

add geno smith to that list to

add geno smith to that list to

You're probably right! It's so sad. 10 quarterbacks in a 5 year span. --and look at the quality at that! I would've loved to have seen what Braylon would've\could've done if he played with a Roethlisberger or Brees.

He's one of the greats, and he never had the chance to play with a great QB.

ez brah. edwards was never 1 of the games greats. he had 1 very good season. theres many a player that can say the same

I meant one of the greats for the JETS.. not the league.

Like it or lump it, when you include his postseason numbers, the guy's got nearly 2,000 yrds and 13 TD's, in 37 games for NY. And even if you take away the playoff stats out of the equation, and base his numbers solely off the regular-season.. only 14 WR's in Jets history have more touchdowns than Edwards, and they've all played WAY more games.

He's a Top 10 WR in franchise history.. and anyone who disagrees, shoot me a legitimate argument of someone better not named: Maynard, Toon, Chrebet, Sauer, Walker, Coles, or Keyshawn.

Edwards and Winslow are the only reason Derek Anderson saw a pro bowl

Edwards isn't great, he has his issues with drops and is only OK when it comes to getting open...but he's tall (6'3) and has freakish leaping ability, will make the circus catches and is very difficult to bring down in the open field once he gets the legs churning. He'll also be the tall redzone threat we were missing last season. Should make things a lot easier on whoever is throwing the ball.

Once Holmes gets back Kerley can go back to his natural position...slot receiver. He was forced to play on the outside far too much last season

Not sure what to expect out of Hill. He's sort of a boom or bust prospect

Edited by '7'

I meant one of the greats for the JETS.. not the league.

Like it or lump it, when you include his postseason numbers, the guy's got nearly 2,000 yrds and 13 TD's, in 37 games for NY. And even if you take away the playoff stats out of the equation, and base his numbers solely off the regular-season.. only 14 WR's in Jets history have more touchdowns than Edwards, and they've all played WAY more games.

He's a Top 10 WR in franchise history.. and anyone who disagrees, shoot me a legitimate argument of someone better not named: Maynard, Toon, Chrebet, Sauer, Walker, Coles, or Keyshawn.

Cotchery had a better career as a Jet, though Edwards is the more talented player

I was hoping we could grab Edwards. We committed Offensive suicide trading Boldin.

Edwards is a clear upgrade over what we had.

What's concerning me going into the season is the chemistry between the newer players. There have been some major wholesale changes that this team has undergone this offseason..

Dustin Keller -- Kellen Winslow

Tim Tebow -- Geno Smith

Darrelle Revis -- Dee Milliner

LaRon Landry -- Dawan Landry

Sione Pouha -- Sheldon Richardson

Bart Scott -- Antwan Barnes

Shonn Greene -- Chris Ivory

Chaz Schilens -- Braylon Edwards

Mike DeVito -- Ricky Sapp

Tony Sparano -- Marty Mornhinweg

I can't kill Izdik with the supplementing he did thus-far. Alot of players he just didn't have a choice in the matter.. and to be honest, some positions look like clear upgrades to me. You also have side projects to look at when judging the team; like having Coples move to LB, reducing Pace's role, and the possibility of Geno Smith in the pistol as a change of pace.

..all in all, very difficult to gage this upcoming season.

Randy Lange ‏@rlangejets

The Jets have agreed to terms on a contract with 1st-round draft choice Dee Milliner. Dee is expected to report to SUNY Cortland Monday.

Outstanding, and only missed 3 days of camp