Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

Probably should be in the Marty thread... but it is Greg's article so we give it it's own

From the Star Ledger:

“It’s within the team’s rights to try and make themselves better. The fact is, I have the luxury to decide what I want to do. I hope if he (Lamoriello) is able to help the team, he’ll ask, regardless of what it is. It’s definitely something that is possible.”

“I don’t know how I’d feel. I don’t know where I’m at with that,” Brodeur said with honesty. “I don’t know what I’d think if it were to happen. I definitely would like to play more, so if there is a chance somewhere…

“But I’m not looking for that. I want to make sure this team gets on a playoff run. We’ll see what happens, but stranger things have happened.”

Ain’t that the truth.

This isn't he first we've heard from Marty on the trade front, going all the way back to Nov. 2013 and his admission that he'd consider waiving his NTC. This was probably before his save percentage dropped below .900.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/martin-brodeur-pondering-trade-devils-season-222651185--nhl.html

Brodeur is friendly an chatty with the media. Everyone loves to talk to him and kibitz looking for some story, especially the media covering the opponents. So Brodeur isn't doing anything differently, but finally there are stories and quotes that can be headlines on major sports networks and sites. Everyone is asking him about this stuff.

It probably be best that Brodeur just says no comment for once. Nothing good comes from this every second Cory gets more games than him. All these Devils beat writers to finally have a good juicy story to write too. But the thing is, no one wants Brodeur to help them win in any way. He would not improve the goaltending for any team in the league. And Lou isn't going to try and trade him either, unless he asks for one. And then Brodeur can find out how little he is worth.

Anyway, expect these stories until the trade deadline regardless if Brodeur opens his mouth or not. But, he will open his mouth.

His trade value is probably much higher in his head than it is in reality. Is there a team out there that thinks MB is the answer? I doubt it. Maybe a team who is out of it (well, more out of it) might take him as a novelty or as a backup. 

I'd like to see him stay here, back up Corey for the rest of the season, and then he retires a goaltending coach at some level or some other thing within the organization. It would really be a shame to see him on another team. 

But I think he has playing next year set in his head already.

• Like 1

Marty (has been) is becoming a problem. He is becoming bigger than the team. Most of his problem is the timing of his mouth. He has rarely ever takes ownership of a game unless he win it. IMO it is becoming a distraction with the team, media and the fans and the distraction is not worth it. He is no longer a number 1 goalie and I would question if he is a backup. For years he has said he needs to continuously play to keep up his rhythm well that doesn't happen as a backup.  If he can't see what we all see too bad for him. If Lou can't see what we all see, then it's time to leave Lou. It is time for Marty to hang it up with the Devils after this season. As a backup he will be a distraction next season, it's a given, so let him go.

In the chat last night, people were bugged by this.  I really don't see it as an issue.  It's clear that he was just responding to Chere's question, although I suppose he could have just given a "no comment", which probably would still have caused Marty bashers to be outraged.

Like I've said, Marty has handled the situation a lot better than many here expected.  He basically conceded the starting job to Schneider early on in the season, and more or less has done it again since the Yankee Stadium debacle.  But for some people, nothing less than immediate retirement and a public apology for single-handedly ruining the chances of a Cup contending team will do. In fact, his inability to invent a time machine that allows him to go back in time and retire at the end of 2011-2012 is unacceptable to some. 

Edited by Daniel

Marty wants out. He is upset and something clearly happened with Deboer after the outdoor game. He sees the writing on the wall here for him with Schneider here and can't accept that his legacy won't buy him another fifty years here.

My guess is he might push Lou for a trade. Marty's tone this time is more angry than suggestive like it was before.

Perhaps Marty goes to Pitt for a Cup coattails situation or a team that is in need of a platoon goalie the rest of the year.

I think it's 50/50. We aren't a serious contender anyway so I don't care about how fans react to us trading Brodeur and not wanting to come to games.

Marty wants out. He is upset and something clearly happened with Deboer after the outdoor game. He sees the writing on the wall here for him with Schneider here and can't accept that his legacy won't buy him another fifty years here.

My guess is he might push Lou for a trade. Marty's tone this time is more angry than suggestive like it was before.

Perhaps Marty goes to Pitt for a Cup coattails situation or a team that is in need of a platoon goalie the rest of the year.

I think it's 50/50. We aren't a serious contender anyway so I don't care about how fans react to us trading Brodeur and not wanting to come to games.

agreed i thought this same exact thing after i read that second interview with him.. he sounded like he would be much more open to a trade or being moved to a different team after this interview..he must know this is just about it for him over here with schneider playing the way he has been

In the chat last night, people were bugged by this.  I really don't see it as an issue.  It's clear that he was just responding to Chere's question, although I suppose he could have just given a "no comment", which probably would still have caused Marty bashers to be outraged.

Like I've said, Marty has handled the situation a lot better than many here expected.  He basically conceded the starting job to Schneider early on in the season, and more or less has done it again since the Yankee Stadium debacle.  But for some people, nothing less than immediate retirement and a public apology for single-handedly ruining the chances of a Cup contending team will do. In fact, his inability to invent a time machine that allows him to go back in time and retire at the end of 2011-2012 is unacceptable to some. 

Well this is also true... Marty really can't win. He sucks for wanting to play here, and he sucks for saying he'd be willing to play elsewhere. It's gotten to the point where even if he has a good game he can't win because then he cost Schneider a start. All he wants is to play. At the end of the day, the coach and GM make that decision.

And here's the problem with words on paper.  The guys who don't like Marty to begin with or have soured on him will look for negative connotations in everything he says, and start speculating about things that they have no inside knowledge of.   

I pointed it out in another thread, but DD56 is right...every time Marty talks now, it's pretty much a no-win.  The less he says, the better off he really is.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The less he says, the better off he really is.   

And that's probably not even true.  He keeps his answers short with no substance, it's obviously a sign that he's disgruntled and secretly plotting with Jeff Gilooly and Tanya Harding to have Cory's knee bashed in in the parking lot after practice.

• Like 1

And that's probably not even true.  He keeps his answers short with no substance, it's obviously a sign that he's disgruntled and secretly plotting with Jeff Gilooly and Tanya Harding to have Cory's knee bashed in in the parking lot after practice.

Excellent reference, and I hope Cory wears his pads to the car for the rest of the season.

"WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!"

HAHAHAHA

I rolled when I saw this...classic...many of the kids on here have no idea what the hell that reference is, and would have to Google it to know.

I doubt Lou will even consider it. Not like anyone's gonna give us anything above a 5th or 6th anyway, let's be honest. And I don't want Marty's career to end here that way. Trading him for a low-round pick would be tough to take as a fan.

Seeing Marty in another team's jersey, even if for a couple of months would be tough to swallow

Hopefully he just rides out the rest of the season and keeps disturbances to a minimum

If someone wants to give something for him, hell even a 3rd rounder - you have to take it. I'd rather have KK as the backup the rest of the season - so as PDB doesn't feel forced to play him.

Say somehow the Devils get down to the wire and they've had a win streak at somepoint (I'm not holding my breath) - but with the last home game of the year is a WIN and you're IN type of situation...Cory is the better goaltender, but it could be Marty's last home game ever....what do you do?

I play Cory, duh....but does PDB?

What did I miss between Marty and Pete?

imo.. this has nothing to do with DeBoer, and everything to do with LL. I do feel (to a large extent) that a big reason Marty seems to want to leave, would be to spite Lou. Someone on HF who claims to know Denis Brodeur, said that Marty was completely blindsided by the Schneider trade.. and he barely spoke to Lou afterward for weeks.

How different would this season look with Marty & Moose? The Devils as a team would probably be worse.. however, Marty would have played more games.. thus, more wins (which would make him closer to 700) enough so that perhaps he'd possible might've even been able to hit it this season. There would be no Schneider to be compared to all season.. meaning; considerably less pressure. Not only wasn't Hedberg a threat, but Moose was also a good friend of Marty's. With that said.. there wouldn't be as much of a backlash for him to return next season. (because there would be no Schneider to worry about) It fvcked up everything for Brodeur. It threw a monkey-wrench in his entire retirement tour\plan. and I think he harbors resentment towards Lou as a result.

Edited by Beezer34