2873 replies to this topic

#1461 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

i also get the sense that if parise is saying that finances aren't in play for the devils, that the offers are all fairly similar and its really just a matter of deciding where to play for the next 10 years. NJ is what he knows. He's got other teams and players whispering in his ear. Its enough to make you second guess yourself.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#1462 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I didn't even bring up the players that wanted to stay when free agency started and weren't offered contracts all the while the fans are saying it's time to say goodbye. Gionta, Martin and Madden were three long-time Devils that didn't have any discussions with Lou and went their own way. Brylin got the shaft as well after 2008. It's a business.

Brylin's still hanging around showing up at games, not like he had a falling out with the team or anything. Gionta's brother stayed here for two years, so I don't think Brian thinks ill of us either and he got paid way more than what anyone would have sensibly offered him coming off 22 and 18-goal seasons anyway. Martin was here like five years and never won anything with us, plus he wanted to leave after our medical staff screwed up his shot at hte Olympics.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1463 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

I think all the "talk to my family" BS is just stall tactics and posturing and smoke and mirrors, both on Zach's camp's part and the part of the Devils org.

I have watched these negotiations closely over the years, most recently with the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha and whatever you think is going to happen, is exactly what isn't going to happen...not to say he isn't coming back, because I have a decently good feeling about it, but it's all such a crapshoot and you never know what goes on behind closed doors with these guys, their agents, and GMs...

I think it's anyone's game and we will have to just wait it out and see. He owes us nothing and I know loyalty has no place in sports when BIG BUCKS are being shelled out, but perhaps he will stick around a little while longer...or we can only hope...

True enough... For all we know maybe theres a team involve working on a trade to get a better deal to Zach or be able to fit him.... Seems like chicago is pretty tight and would have to squeeze him on the roster and under the cap

I really hope not... Zach should just play safe and re-sign in NJ

www.SterioDesign.com

#1464 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I think ZP wants to stay, he just is pondering whether he should/will give up 20M to do it. If he's getting offers near a 100 or upfront $$$ which neither the Devils can do---he's probably wondering whether the DEvils' 80M offer he should take or pass up the rest of the money.

My guess is teams like Minny or Philly are offering him the most money,and he has no desire to go there really.

Pit and NJ aren't offering as much but are the places he'd consider going, and it's just whether he can give up the dough to do it.

Tough Decision.

#1465 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

True enough... For all we know maybe theres a team involve working on a trade to get a better deal to Zach or be able to fit him.... Seems like chicago is pretty tight and would have to squeeze him on the roster and under the cap

It just smells like he had a few teams in mind after Day One, worked his way to making a decision then the Hawks magically appeared out of nowhere, hours after they got rebuffed on Brodeur interestingly enough. With another option maybe Zach need to talk about that with his fiancee where the Hawks weren't in the mix last night. Maybe some other teams increased their offer too since then.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1466 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

EXACTLY. It's a fvcking sh!tshow man, it's the ultimate mind-fvck for fans like us.

I know everyone here hates the Jets but last offseason we thought we had Nnamdi in the bag...Revis was "recruiting" him...Adam Sandler (Jets fan) gave him a call...blah blah blah...and I remember I was on the GSP headed down the shore for the weekend and the deadline hit and Twitter went silent and all sorts of crazy rumors came through...and

BAM a surprise team...the EAGLES!!!

(and then he went on to have a marginally terrible season, which made it all that much better, but still, I was devastated at the time)
It is an emotional roller coaster and I am getting sucked into this one like the Nnamdi sweepstakes, and the Lebron sweepstakes, Cliff Lee sweepstakes for the Yanks but as a fan you have no other option...you want what is best for your team.

Edited by mikepeluso8, 02 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#1467 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

EXACTLY. It's a fvcking sh!tshow man, it's the ultimate mind-fvck for fans like us.

I know everyone here hates the Jets but last offseason we thought we had Nnamdi in the bag...Revis was "recruiting" him...Adam Sandler (Jets fan) gave him a call...blah blah blah...and I remember I was on the GSP headed down the shore for the weekend and the deadline hit and Twitter went silent and all sorts of crazy rumors came through...and

BAM a surprise team...the EAGLES!!!

It is an emotional roller coaster and I am getting sucked into this one like the Nnamdi sweepstakes, and the Lebron sweepstakes but as a fan you have no other option...you want what is best for your team.

That's what worries me. After the Hawks came out of nowhere today, I'm worried about someone else doing it even more stealthily tomorrow. Watch us find out Zach goes to the Kings tomorrow after not really hearing a peep out of them since FA started lol.

#1468 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

That's what worries me. After the Hawks came out of nowhere today, I'm worried about someone else doing it even more stealthily tomorrow. Watch us find out Zach goes to the Kings tomorrow after not really hearing a peep out of them since FA started lol.

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT MAN!!!

This is just the beginning...it's all smoke and mirrors and behind closed doors and LITERALLY anything can happen...it is insane.
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#1469 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think ZP wants to stay, he just is pondering whether he should/will give up 20M to do it. If he's getting offers near a 100 or upfront $$$ which neither the Devils can do---he's probably wondering whether the DEvils' 80M offer he should take or pass up the rest of the money.

My guess is teams like Minny or Philly are offering him the most money,and he has no desire to go there really.

Pit and NJ aren't offering as much but are the places he'd consider going, and it's just whether he can give up the dough to do it.

Tough Decision.

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible. Thats a big deal to some guys, being the big dog at home. Its also a sh!tload of pressure, but Minnesota pressure is not the same as other places.

There's also news that Chicago is involved and I think they would have a good case to make similar to Pittsburgh's situation minus the relationship with Crosby. I also don't think the Flyers are offering the most money. I think Detroit and Minnesota are leading that charge with the rest of the suitors being very competitive and able to offer other things. Then again, Holmgren is insane, so it wouldnt surprise me if they were near the top of the money heap.

Its just all a guessing game now. Regardless of where he picks, I'm really interested to hear what other teams are offering him.

#1470 HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah I really wish there was a way to just outright ban that one and @NHLSourcesSay. The latter always "breaks" news after it's common knowledge without citing anyone, and then as the Parise announcement was coming, "confirmed" that Parise was now a Penguin.

And yet he has 15,000 followers. Unreal.

This has to be the best one... webpage and all.
http://www.hockeywil...ed-to-minnesota
Posted Image

#1471 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible. Thats a big deal to some guys, being the big dog at home. Its also a sh!tload of pressure, but Minnesota pressure is not the same as other places.

There's also news that Chicago is involved and I think they would have a good case to make similar to Pittsburgh's situation minus the relationship with Crosby. I also don't think the Flyers are offering the most money. I think Detroit and Minnesota are leading that charge with the rest of the suitors being very competitive and able to offer other things. Then again, Holmgren is insane, so it wouldnt surprise me if they were near the top of the money heap.

Its just all a guessing game now. Regardless of where he picks, I'm really interested to hear what other teams are offering him.

Chicago scares me, because they have some good pieces like us.

The thing about Minny being the home team, is it's also a curse to play for the hometown making that kind of money. He'll have too much pressure, and it'll be solely on him to turn it around...and I can't imagine him wanting to deal with that. That team has been so bad for so long, why would he go there if not only for the money.

I think it's probably down to Pit and us. I really do think that. I bet the money breaks down like this:

Tons of money with upfront cash now:
Minnesota
Philly

A lot of money with a little upfront:
Pittsburgh

A lot of money:
NJ

#1472 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

This has to be the best one... webpage and all.
http://www.hockeywil...ed-to-minnesota
Posted Image

I can live with that, it's at least meant to be funny. But putting stuff out there as fact that's 100% hot air, hoping that you might get lucky and be able to claim you knew 2 seconds before everyone else is just bullsh!t.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#1473 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I agree with you, but I don't think we can shortchange Minnesota here. If Zach went to Minnesota, not only would he be the face of that team, he'd arguably be the biggest sports hero in the entire state. The Vikings certainly have no one right now that can claim that and the Twins are terrible.

Well the Twins have Joe Mauer who is a Minnesota guy, but he is declining in productivity

#1474 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,903 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Well the Twins have Joe Mauer who is a Minnesota guy, but he is declining in productivity

And this is exactly the danger. Mauer signed for a giant contract despite playing a position where players tend to break down early. If Parise goes to Minnesota, he has to be ready to be the hometown hero who couldn't make it happen.

I mean, Yeo's coaching philosophy is diametrically opposed to what Parise wants. I understand that coaching is impermanent, but it's going to be a conflict right away.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1475 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

And this is exactly the danger. Mauer signed for a giant contract despite playing a position where players tend to break down early. If Parise goes to Minnesota, he has to be ready to be the hometown hero who couldn't make it happen.

I mean, Yeo's coaching philosophy is diametrically opposed to what Parise wants. I understand that coaching is impermanent, but it's going to be a conflict right away.

Do you think Parise can handle it though? I know Marty always said that he never wanted to play in Montreal because of the pressure from being there. I feel kind of bad for Parise because he is probably overwhelmed with all the offers and situations presented to him

#1476 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

I was talking to Holik about the Minnesota thing, and we both agree. Why would he go to Minny for other than the money. They have never been good, aren't good now, don't play good hockey, he'd be starting from scratch there. Yes the money would be good, but is it good enough to be miserable losing, in front of the home crowd who everyone you ever grew up with coming out of the woodwork to ask for tickets, charity, and whatever else.

#1477 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,903 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was talking to Holik about the Minnesota thing, and we both agree. Why would he go to Minny for other than the money. They have never been good, aren't good now, don't play good hockey, he'd be starting from scratch there. Yes the money would be good, but is it good enough to be miserable losing, in front of the home crowd who everyone you ever grew up with coming out of the woodwork to ask for tickets, charity, and whatever else.

Continuing the baseball connections, I remember when Mark Teixeira was wooed by Baltimore for similar reasons. He passed for the same reason. I'd be really surprised if Zach ended up in Minnesota. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and NJ seem like the only plausible destinations.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1478 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Interesting. Does he have any opinions about where this is headed, or what is going on behind the scenes?
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1479 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Continuing the baseball connections, I remember when Mark Teixeira was wooed by Baltimore for similar reasons. He passed for the same reason. I'd be really surprised if Zach ended up in Minnesota. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and NJ seem like the only plausible destinations.

I'm also pretty sure that Baltimore wasn't offering him nearly the same amount of money as the Yankees or Red Sox were.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1480 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Interesting. Does he have any opinions about where this is headed, or what is going on behind the scenes?

Not really. Our conversations mirror the ones on here we are all having.

He thinks all of the money being thrown at these players is crazy, ironically, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users