2013 MLB Postseason Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wainwright is just incredible. And everybody knows St. Louis is one of the best (the best, in my opinion) at player development, but man, it can't be emphasized enough. No Allen Craig? No problem -- Matt Adams says hello. 

Sucks to see Pittsburgh eliminated but they and their fans should be happy. What a season. Marte and Cole look like they can be great ones; McCutchen has a legit MVP case and is in his prime; Alvarez can probably hang with anyone in the NL in power; Taillon, Polanco, Hanson among others are very good/great prospects in their system that aren't far from contributing to the MLB team. They have a smart front office that makes good decisions and a manager that is willing to embrace advanced concepts. They should have their heads up about the future. This won't be a "1 and done" type of season for them; they'll be back fighting for the Central next year.

Edited by nmigliore

Sorry to see Byrd not go all the way, but he did a nice job for the Pirates, both in the regular season and the playoffs...did exactly what he was brought in to do.

It will be a major risk because of his age, but I would love to see the Mets bring him back, if the cost is reasonable. 

Congrats to the Tigers for advancing to the ALCS... Verlander dominates Oakland in a Game 5 for the 2nd straight year: 

Verlander, 2012 ALDS vs A's, Game 5 (in Oakland): 9 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 11 K

Verlander, 2013 ALDS vs A's, Game 5 (in Oakland) : 8 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 10 K

Verlander's 2012-13 postseason numbers:

6 starts, 43.1 IP, 22 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 50 K, 1.45 ERA. 

Gotta love a guy who's at his best when the stakes are at their highest (though his 2011 postseason numbers were not nearly as good...I give him a pass on 2006 because it was his first full season in MLB). 

Beltran is the best in the postseason. That's not hyperbole either; his career postseason numbers rank among the best ever. Love that man.

Kind of too bad he didn't do that in NY when he had the chance (though his overall numbers from that postseason were far from bad).

I'll always feel that something was missing from his NY tenure, but the guy is going to the Hall of Fame.  The Triple Crown numbers alone dictate that...he's going to finish around .280/400 HR/1500 RBI for his career, unless he experiences a sharp decline.  Only numbers that haven't been as good in recent regular seasons is his BB-to-K ratio, but everything else has been strong.

Kind of too bad he didn't do that in NY when he had the chance (though his overall numbers from that postseason were far from bad).

I'll always feel that something was missing from his NY tenure, but the guy is going to the Hall of Fame.  The Triple Crown numbers alone dictate that...he's going to finish around .280/400 HR/1500 RBI for his career, unless he experiences a sharp decline.  Only numbers that haven't been as good in recent regular seasons is his BB-to-K ratio, but everything else has been strong.

He had a great postseason in 2006, particularly in the NLCS, but unfortunately gets remembered for that 1 AB way too often.

He definitely belongs in the HoF. Assuming the voters don't fvck up, it will be fascinating to see what cap he'll wear. His best season came as a Met and he had better overall success in New York as well. He made the postseason with New York (never with KC) during that incredible 2006 run and had a good case to win MVP that season to boot. I know the average Met fan is pretty neutral and not all that appreciative of Beltran, unfortunately, but I really hope he goes in as a Met.

Derek: I hate cheering for the Cardinals but yeah, I hope Beltran gets his ring. 

Edited by nmigliore

I'm impressed by how productive Beltran has been even as he has entered the typical decline years. Sure he may fall off a cliff suddenly but the last 3 years he's stayed healthy and very productive. It will be interesting to see what type of deal he gets this winter. He's got the resume but he is getting old. His BB/K rate has fell steadily in recent years which may be a cause for concern:

589_OF_season_mini_5_20130930.png

Red Sox just tied the game on a grand slam by Ortiz in the bottom of the 8th, 2 outs, against Benoit who was brought on for a 4-out save. Unbelievable.

Edit: Sox win on a walk-off single by Salty. What a collapse by Detroit.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm impressed by how productive Beltran has been even as he has entered the typical decline years. Sure he may fall off a cliff suddenly but the last 3 years he's stayed healthy and very productive. It will be interesting to see what type of deal he gets this winter. He's got the resume but he is getting old. His BB/K rate has fell steadily in recent years which may be a cause for concern:

589_OF_season_mini_5_20130930.png

Pointed out the BB/K rate decline in my post...does make one wonder if the end is coming more quickly than it would appear otherwise.  I think St. Louis is a perfect place for him at this point in his career...even if he falters, they'd appreciate him as a part-time, reasonably-productive part-timer. 

He won't be there once he's up in St Louis no more

Pointed out the BB/K rate decline in my post...does make one wonder if the end is coming more quickly than it would appear otherwise. I think St. Louis is a perfect place for him at this point in his career...even if he falters, they'd appreciate him as a part-time, reasonably-productive part-timer.

He's pretty beloved.he was cheered more at the all star then David wright. Mets do care a lot for him and the team wants him back.

He had a great postseason in 2006, particularly in the NLCS, but unfortunately gets remembered for that 1 AB way too often.

He definitely belongs in the HoF. Assuming the voters don't fvck up, it will be fascinating to see what cap he'll wear. His best season came as a Met and he had better overall success in New York as well. He made the postseason with New York (never with KC) during that incredible 2006 run and had a good case to win MVP that season to boot. I know the average Met fan is pretty neutral and not all that appreciative of Beltran, unfortunately, but I really hope he goes in as a Met.

Derek: I hate cheering for the Cardinals but yeah, I hope Beltran gets his ring.

Double post*

Edited by CarterforPresident

He won't be there once he's up in St Louis no more

He's pretty beloved.he was cheered more at the all star then David wright. Mets do care a lot for him and the team wants him back.

What?!  I don't think the Mets want him back, and I definitely don't think Beltran wants anything to do with the Mets...they did not part on good terms. 

If the Yankees were in a better place than they are right now, I think Beltran could've been a nice fit for them.

Something was always off with Beltran and the Mets...something not easily shown in the "at-a-glance" numbers, which, let's face it, look pretty damned good, especially 2006-08, and as the context of his Mets career is getting hazier in the minds of Met fans, he's being remembered more and more fondly, when that fondness was not really that strong when he was a Met.  Sabes guys point to the sabes and will defend him to the death, telling you how absolutely awesome he was, and as the years pass people are remembering him as being a lot more clutch with the Mets than he really was.  Clearly he did NOT suck as a Met, far from it, but he really wasn't as good as his numbers would lead you to believe he was either.  There's a reason why he wasn't beloved during his as a Met...for a guy who nmig makes sound like a god (and I can't argue that Carlos didn't put up some VERY eye-friendly seasons as a Met, because he clearly did), he should've been almost universally loved by Met fans, but it was more of a mix...and I don't think Met fans were crazy to feel that way about him.  There was a game where the Mets were trailing 12-5 in the later innings, and Beltran hit a home run to make it 12-8, and I remember thinking (and even posting) at the time "If that doesn't sum up Carlos Beltran's Met career..."  And that's what Carlos' Met career was like...you were almost surprised when you saw the numbers at the end of 2006-08.  They had a "How'd he do that?" feel to them.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Carter: Beltran did not get a better ovation than Wright in the ASG. If you want proof here is the video from the intros: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28928307&topic_id=vtp_asg_sponsor&game_pk=undefined Skip to 0:35 for Beltran, 1:00 for Wright. 

Regarding a reunion: I wouldn't be surprised if Beltran really has no interest in returning considering all the issues he had in his last few years here, but of course he isn't going to publicly say that. And as much as I love Beltran and wouldn't mind a return, at this point he's probably a better fit in the AL where he can play some OF and rest his knees with the DH. 

Edited by nmigliore

Carter: Beltran did not get a better ovation than Wright in the ASG. If you want proof here is the video from the intros: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28928307&topic_id=vtp_asg_sponsor&game_pk=undefined Skip to 0:35 for Beltran, 1:00 for Wright. 

He's always gotten pretty mixed reactions, even when he was a Met. It's an unfortunate since he deserves so much more respect, but it is what it is. There is absolutely no chance he's more beloved than Wright either, even by the most ardent Beltran fans like myself.

Regarding a reunion: I wouldn't be surprised if Beltran really has no interest in returning considering all the issues he had in his last few years here, but of course he isn't going to publicly say that. And as much as I love Beltran and wouldn't mind a return, at this point he's probably a better fit in the AL where he can play some OF and rest his knees with the DH. 

I think he could've owned Houston if he had re-signed.  They loved him down there, especially after he went nuts in the playoffs.

Three factors got Beltran off on the wrong foot with the Mets:  1) He would've rather been a Yankee, 2) That first very meh 2005 year, and 3) When he didn't get a hit in the first two games of 2006, and was already starting to hear about it, then hit a big home run, but wouldn't come out for a curtain call until Julio Franco cajoled him into doing it.  Let's face it, NY doesn't like its athletes to be quiet and sensitive, and unfortunately for Beltran, he was both.  NY fans (fairly or unfairly) equate big superstar contract with leadership, being fiery, being tough, emotional...Beltran could come off as almost indifferent and devoid of personality.  Though he clearly was able to handle NY from a performance standpoint, I think he would've been better off playing someplace a little quieter/less tempermental, and a little more forgiving, or for the Yankees, where he wouldn't have been seen as THE guy, but as one of the guys.    

I'm guessing he's pretty well-liked in St. Louis too.  I think they appreciate him for what he now is and what he's been for them...a guy who's on the tail end of his prime, but goes out and does a good job, is a professional, and contributes for them. 

Beltran's comments on Puig:

"As a player, I just think he doesn't know [about how to act]," Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran said. "That's what I think. He really doesn't know. He must think that he's still playing somewhere else.

"He has a lot of passion," Beltran said. "No doubt about that. Great ability. Great talent. I think, with time, he'll learn that you've got to act with a little bit more calm.

"So you know, he's going to learn. It's going to take him time, but he's going to learn. When you try to do those things sometimes, you know, you get that attention. And you don't want to wake up nobody. I always thought if you hit a home run off a pitcher, you've got to make him believe he made a mistake. You don't wake him up. Or next time, the pitcher's going to be more focused with you and he's going to try harder to get you out.

"So he will learn," Beltran concluded. "I don't think he's a bad kid. I just think he doesn't know right now."

But when Beltran was asked, "Did Yasiel Puig just 'wake up' the Cardinals?" he made it obvious that the alarm bells had just sounded -- without actually saying that.

"I'm in the outfield," Beltran said, trying to choose his words carefully. "I mean, it's not great. To me, I don't like it. But what can I say? I don't play for them. I just play over here. I just need to do my job. It is what it is."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9827035/yasiel-puig-made-mark-game-3-win-los-angeles-dodgers-mlb

On one hand, not everyone is going to as Spock-like as Beltran is, but I can see his point...it's great to be emotional and fired-up and into things, but if you over-do it, you CAN fire up the other team.    

Puig is incredibly entertaining (and talented), but yeah it's very easy to see how he rubs opposing players the wrong way. Last night he had an EPIC bat flip and was raising his arms, admiring his flyball, while jogging to 1B..... on what turned out to be a triple, not a homer. And, really, it could have just as easily been a single had the ball not taken a quirky bounce off the wall away from Beltran. That would've been hilarious to see. Here's the video, by the way: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=11493214&content_id=31140991

Edited by nmigliore

The funny thing is, you'll see blurbs about how Carlos Beltran was "irked" and "annoyed".  I don't think he was either of those things.  I think he was very fair and honest in his assessment of Puig's behavior, in that he thought is was a bit much, and could possibly do more harm than good in the long run.  It wasn't like Beltran was confronting Puig and getting in his face about it, the way guys who really ARE irked and annoyed will. 

What is irking and annoying are the ESPNs of the world doing everything they can to squeeze more out of a story than what is actually there.