The player i want the most this summer.

caron14

Forget about the devils players who will because free agent like Jagr ( im already minded to see him next year)

If you can pick one guy who will become UFA this summer who will it be?

Mine would be : Paul Stastny!

Awesome player, I love his constancy around  20 goals and 60 points every year at minimum. He can skate, he is a complete player that can score, pass and play well both end of the ice. One other things, he is a low profile guy that's show up everytime i see him play. Not sure Colorado will not resign him, but if he become UFA i want him. Put him in our lineup would help us big time. He is a Patrik Elias type of player. Cant tell you how much i appreciate Elias over the years.

Who's your pick and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stastny.

I've said it a bunch but a Zajer - Stastny combo would solidify the Devils up the middle for 7 years. No playing Henrique at center, no playing Elias at center out of necessity anymore. 

You don't get anywhere in this league without being strong up the middle. 

Moulson would be ok, but what has he done over a season playing without Tavares?

As far as money, Marty's 4.5 and Zidlicky's 4 coming off the books is more than enough. I'd go 7-7.5 on Stastny

@dp our system was around the boards with debo

i think jagr made it wide open even though he can do it all

all i remember was kings going up the middle while we went around the boards, kick it out you know

edit: cant get why boston got jagr then rid him to get iginla?

Edited by lazer

Don't see us in on any big free agents especially after adding around 3m or so per in Ruutu.

Devils will need to trade.

Why?  The Cap is going up, and the Devils have some contracts coming off the books.  We do still need to dump a defenseman though.

Stastny.

I've said it a bunch but a Zajer - Stastny combo would solidify the Devils up the middle for 7 years. No playing Henrique at center, no playing Elias at center out of necessity anymore. 

You don't get anywhere in this league without being strong up the middle. 

Moulson would be ok, but what has he done over a season playing without Tavares?

As far as money, Marty's 4.5 and Zidlicky's 4 coming off the books is more than enough. I'd go 7-7.5 on Stastny

Jagr's money comes off too.  Also all of the CBGB line.  Ryder and Brunner are in their walk years next season.  It wouldn't surprise me if there was interest in Ryder for that reason (one-season rental), but as maddening as he's been this season with the insane scoring droughts, it probably makes more sense to keep him and hope he has better luck next season.  Teams are going to try to get him on the cheap right now, probably to the tune of a mid-round pick or two (or an NHL player who isn't going to help the Devils that much).  Would love to see the Devils dump Brunner regardless of what he brings back. 

Wouldn't mind the Devils nabbing Stastny, but I get the feeling it's going to take a pretty significant overpayment.      

who is available?

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

I would definitely take Callahan or Stasny if the price is right.  Callahan is a great all-around guy and can be consistent.  Other forwards that should be on the Devils radar,  Moulson(if he comes cheap), Radim Vrbata, Nikolai Kulemin, and Steve Downie. 

Stasny is already being paid 6.6 mil in cap hit per year and I can't see him being paid much more than that.  On top of that, I'd be willing to bet that Colorado wants to keep him around, even with MacKinnon, O'Reilly (C?), and Duchene up the middle.  That's a huge question, does Stasny warrant more than 6.6/year?  I'm not so sure.  You also have to remember that there aren't many players coming off the books, just Jagr and CBGB.  We'd have to move Ryder or Brunner during the summer and that will be hard.  Of the two, I think you have to keep Brunner for his speed.  You also have to remember that Jagr will possibly come back next year, but I've heard rumors that if we miss the playoffs, he will consider elsewhere, which is totally possible. 

Moulson is going to get paid much more than what he is currently, so I don't really see him in NJ.

Vrbata and Kulemin will come fairly cheap and you can play them anywhere in the lineup. 

Downie because he is the definition of a bottom 6 guy, throw him on our 4th line with hopefully a re-signed Carter, and the left wing slot should goto a Mike Sislo or someone like him. 

We really can only bring in maybe ONE UFA forward unless we drop Ryder or Brunner for picks which I think is likely.

If we bring in no help from the outside, that would be okay with me because you have players in the AHL who should get a chance at the bottom 6 of the NJ lineup, Mike Sislo, Kelly Zajac, Joe Whitney.  Hopefully Josefson will eventually stick as the 3rd line center.

Edited by RizzMB30

The problem with Statsny is that there are going to be a whole lot of other teams that would love to have him.  Same with Moulson.  So, at least as a fan, those kind of signings are not something you can really count on. 

Otherwise, getting bottom pairing guys like Steve Downie is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

This is what the roster will look like next year with minimal changes done.  My roster I'm sharing with you involves no trades, just promoting young players into bigger roles.  Such a qualifying Jacob Josefson, signing Mike Sislo, signing Steve Downie, re-signing Ryan Carter for the forwards corps.  I promoted Keith Kinkaid to NHL backup, although I think Wedgewood could be brought up to play behind Schneider imho.  Then on defense, you have Larsson being re-promoted to NHL, Gelinas and Mark Fayne resigned, albeit to very team friendly terms.  The contracts aren't even close, but this look at the roster will leave us with plenty of cap space to give Schneider a very competitive offer.

FORWARDS
Tuomo Ruutu ($3.800m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m)
Adam Henrique ($4.000m) / Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.761m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m)
Mike Sislo ($0.550m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m)
Steve Downie ($2.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($2.700m)
Jon Merrill ($0.840m) / Bryce Salvador ($3.167m)
Eric Gelinas ($0.715m) / Adam Larsson ($0.874m)
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Keith Kinkaid ($0.605m)

Cap Space:

$8,946,291
Edited by RizzMB30

It's hard to get excited for free agency. We never get who we want as fans. It's hard enough to attract people to nj and when you throw in the fact that this team is notorious for not scoring many points and you can see why that is. We're a small market team with the reputation of being boring.

At this point my summers consist of just hoping we can resign players we already have.

Edited by Jerzey Devil