Taormina may need surgery

sundstrom

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/01/devils_defenseman_matt_taormin.html

Defenseman Matt Taormina, who hasn't skated in a month because of a non-displaced fracture of his left ankle, may require surgery.

"We will make a decision very shortly whether he needs to have an operation," general manager Lou Lamoriello said today. "It's a non-displaced situation. We've given it all this time. It's a unique situation."

this is like paul martin again - how do they wait two months before having surgery? i'm not a doctor so perhaps this isn't a second guess thing but the devils doctors really have blown some of these injuries.

I read a few days ago he was going to go see a doctor this week to get the green light to skate again.

"Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said today that defenseman Matt Taormina will see the doctor later this week in hope of receiving of clearance to resume skating. Taormina has not played since suffering a high sprain of his left ankle in a Nov. 14 practice. He has been off the ice for the last four weeks following two previous attempts to start skating and subsequent setbacks."

-Fire and Ice

I guess he went and the doctor didnt have good news.

Edited by Quinn01

Taormina was playing so well and doing so well for the Devils before this injury happened. Unfortunately it looks like another big loss for the Devils this season. The future looks good for Taormina on this team IMO. He was a rookie but he was doing the same type of plays Martin was doing on this team and the plus was that Taormina was scoring goals. The defense took another hit when he got injured.

Taormina was playing so well and doing so well for the Devils before this injury happened. Unfortunately it looks like another big loss for the Devils this season. The future looks good for Taormina on this team IMO. He was a rookie but he was doing the same type of plays Martin was doing on this team and the plus was that Taormina was scoring goals. The defense took another hit when he got injured.

Agreed. I think his impact on the team was underrated because he was a rookie. He was playing very well though offensively and solid enough defensively with tons of ice time... the team definitely missed his skills on the back end when he was hurt. If he is gone for the year as well it's a real bummer.

I really didn't think he was that sound defensivley at all, his skills at the other end of the ice seem to have papered over the cracks in his game in his own end in quite a few peoples eyes.

A lot have people seem to have already forgotten how effective Martin was in his own end and moving the play from one zone to the next. Taormina has a long way to go, but he did show potential.

Operation should have been done months ago when he had his second set back. He could have possibly been back later in the season. Another bad move by the Devils medical staff and players here. First it was Pandolfo, then Martin, then Parise and now Taormina. WTF!

I don't think you can lay blame on the medical staff for Parise, he came into cam, triend to play on it and then decided he couldn't carry on. Sounds like his choice to try.

I really didn't think he was that sound defensivley at all, his skills at the other end of the ice seem to have papered over the cracks in his game in his own end in quite a few peoples eyes.

A lot have people seem to have already forgotten how effective Martin was in his own end and moving the play from one zone to the next. Taormina has a long way to go, but he did show potential.

I don't think you can lay blame on the medical staff for Parise, he came into cam, triend to play on it and then decided he couldn't carry on. Sounds like his choice to try.

Taormina was doing the same things Martin was and more with scoring goals. Taormina was doing well on the PP too from the point where he scored some goals. Losing Martin and for that amount of his contract was just not worth keeping. Taormina has the skills and was not doing all that bad as a rookie.

As for Parise you are right there. I blame Parise for trying when he should have just went to the doctors got an exam/x-ray and he could have had this knee surgery in the off season. parise hurt himself this season along with hurting this Devils team by missing most or all of this season.

Taormina was doing the same things Martin was and more with scoring goals. Taormina was doing well on the PP too from the point where he scored some goals. Losing Martin and for that amount of his contract was just not worth keeping. Taormina has the skills and was not doing all that bad as a rookie.

He played 17 games... How was he scoring more goals? He has a better shot from the point and I look forward to seeing what he can do, but he definitely hasn't played enough to be considered an improvement over Martin.

He played 17 games... How was he scoring more goals? He has a better shot from the point and I look forward to seeing what he can do, but he definitely hasn't played enough to be considered an improvement over Martin.

Taormina has 3-goals, 2-assists and one of them I believe was a SHG in the 17-games which was more than what Martin was doing in those first 17-games. Taormina was doing better than Martin at the time before his injury. Taormina will be just fine and I believe he is an improvement over Martin.

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

Devils defenseman Matt Taormina will need surgery on his left ankle.

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

Taormina has two non displaced fractures. One has healed. He will have surgery Monday and is out indefinitely.

ahhhhhhhhhh dammnit

Edited by SterioDesign

It boggles the mind that he has been out for so long and they are just now discovering that he has fractures or that those fractures require surgery. I'm no doctor, but between this, Paul Martin last year and Parise this year, one has to begin to wonder.

I've had a non-displaced fracture of the ankle. It was a very hard to detect one, but the signs were all there (massive swelling and edema). Come on, there were two of them and this isn't some rare medical condition. Either "high ankle sprain" was Lou code or the doctors fvcked up.