Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#561 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,116 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

The longer this garbage goes on the more stupid I feel for giving these greedy people my money. If we miss the full season I really don't know how I'm going to give them any money next year.

#562 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ontracts-afford

"It's disappointing. If you can't afford to (sign contracts) then you shouldn't do it," Suter said. "(Leipold) signed us to contracts. At the time he said everything was fine. Yeah, it's disappointing. A couple months before, everything is fine, and now they want to take money out of our contracts that we already signed."
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#563 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hey Ryan Suter, my harp is playing for you. How will you ever survive with your upfront big signing bonus. You wanted Donald Fehr who stopped baseball which was making boatloads of money, and expect him to do the same with the NHL? NHL hockey, where weekly ratings struggle to get a 1.0, are regularly beaten by wnba games, are clearly not in the same $ league as in terms of TV revenue that the other top 3 sports have, and where ticket prices are already high, and you're surprised by the results? I hate Bettman & I hope he is no longer a part of this league sometime soon, but I'm stil on the owners side. By the way, when us schlums are in a struggling business, we got to give back too to keep our jobs, sometimes it's salary, sometimes it's contributing more to pay for healthcare, or some companies, terminate pension programs. And I'm sure the union wants to keep those 25 players salaries for each of those franchises which struggle (read; Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, even our team, etc), so it's in the best interest of the union too that the NHL wants a contract so all the franchises can survive financially.

#564 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hey Ryan Suter, my harp is playing for you. How will you ever survive with your upfront big signing bonus. You wanted Donald Fehr who stopped baseball which was making boatloads of money, and expect him to do the same with the NHL?

Do you even pretend to understand why Donald Fehr stopped baseball? Look, I was young, I hated him for that. But the owners wanted to unilaterally impose a salary cap. The players had been playing without a CBA for a year. Remember when Fehr stopped baseball all those other times? I sure don't. They lost a season, it was awful, but hockey has lost 1.5 and we're heading towards 2.

NHL hockey, where weekly ratings struggle to get a 1.0, are regularly beaten by wnba games, are clearly not in the same $ league as in terms of TV revenue that the other top 3 sports have, and where ticket prices are already high, and you're surprised by the results?

He signed a contract this summer that his owner is now negotiating to reduce. You think that's fair? It's a signed contract. Yes, as maxpower will point out, contract values are not guaranteed in the NHL because of the escrow system. Still, as long as the league doesn't stagnate, those contracts get paid out. The 5% cap inflator will definitely be gone in the next CBA, and that was really the only risk players took of not having their contracts paid out.

I hate Bettman & I hope he is no longer a part of this league sometime soon, but I'm stil on the owners side. By the way, when us schlums are in a struggling business, we got to give back too to keep our jobs, sometimes it's salary, sometimes it's contributing more to pay for healthcare, or some companies, terminate pension programs. And I'm sure the union wants to keep those 25 players salaries for each of those franchises which struggle (read; Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, even our team, etc), so it's in the best interest of the union too that the NHL wants a contract so all the franchises can survive financially.

The union doesn't care about the 25 minimum salary or around there jobs that would be lost in the event of contraction. Hell, last time around, players were openly suggesting contraction. However, the NHL is not a struggling business. It had record revenues last year. Its revenues are up an incredible amount in the last 7 years - it is the opposite of a struggling business. It is a booming business. But the owners want to reduce the amount of money that goes to players. The players have accepted that ultimately their percentage of the revenues will decrease - that the owners have leverage and they can use it. However, the owners are unwilling to make good on the contracts they signed.

When the NHL negotiates as a whole, it's fair to talk about it as a whole. Yes, some teams are not doing so well - that's why revenue sharing is and should be a larger part of the next CBA. But it probably won't be, besides the geographic restrictions on it being lifted (because Bill Wirtz died). The NHL will continue to expect its money-losing franchises to get by despite a salary floor that is obviously too high

Edited by Triumph, 27 October 2012 - 11:51 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#565 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Looks like the Winter Classic is gone as of Thursday.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#566 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

And with all that Sandy has wrought, suddenly billionaires and millionaires squabbling really seems like a steaming pile of insignificant turd. The hell with all of 'em.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#567 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

And with all that Sandy has wrought, suddenly billionaires and millionaires squabbling really seems like a steaming pile of insignificant turd. The hell with all of 'em.

Post of the day
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#568 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

I just want them to cancel the season already and be done with it....

They should be ashamed of themselves. The league will never recover from this, period.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#569 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

They are not canceling the season and this will be forgotten about in a year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#570 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

The real pressure is losing games once Baseball and Football seasons are done. I really don't think the owners want to lose that portion of the season. That is usually when attendance rises in multisport cities. If they salvage a late december season the owners still make a nice profit. The players are essentially playing for nothing when insurance is taken into consideration so there is pressure to make a deal on their side as well.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#571 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

This will never end... wtv what the deal and as fair as it could get... the owners will have to give a little... which they are not at the moment... then i think we ALL know that when the next CBA expire that the owners will try to have back what they gave in this one (if they give anything)

i seriously expect a lockout every year of CBA negotiation, all those fvckers are way too greedy

www.SterioDesign.com

#572 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Post of the day

Seconded.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#573 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

They just said on ESPN that the League canceled the Winter Classic.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#574 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

They just said on ESPN that the League canceled the Winter Classic.

After what happened this week here in nj this is probably the least important news I've heard all week.

#575 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Like a mouse squeeking into the wind of a hurricane, the world shrugs as the NHL uses one of their weapon of mass destruction.

#576 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yea, thanks NHL for reminding us all how you keep fighting over money, while we watch and read heart-wrenching stories from the hurricane, throw out food because of no power, and wait in line for gas. Pox on you all!

#577 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,285 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

And in the midst of all this suffering and destruction- right in its own back yard- the NHL, instead of attempting in some way to aid or help victims, cancels the Winter Classic. I couldn't possibly hate this league any more than I do right now.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#578 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well I think cancelling the Winter Classic is just a power play by the NHL. It's pretty obvious. When the season eventually comes back I think there's a legit chance the league could organize an outdoor game if they wanted to.

Which bring me to one of my few criticisms of Fehr and how the NHLPA has handled this. Why aren't they putting pressure on the league with tactics like this? If I were Fehr I'd respond with two public statements

1. I'd say I was willing to go down to 50/50 with a soft landing determined entirely by revenue split (i.e. 57% next year, 56% year after, 55% etc) instead of the mechanisms they proposed earlier. It's clear that's the compromise, and that's where we're headed.

2. I'd say I refuse to accept any CBA offer without some form of lockout insurance for next time. A mechanism that said after the CBA expires if a new deal is not in place, players get 25% of payment next year up front. Something like that. Even if it's bogus and the owners would never go for it, it would certainly get a lot of fan support and put some pressure on the NHL.

Fehr right now seems to be only reacting. On the one hand, I get it. It's clear the NHL had no interest in saving the first 20% of the season and just wanted to use losing it as leverage for the new deal. What can you do in that case? But still I'd like to see him apply some pressure here.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 02 November 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#579 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

One thing that i hear a lot is that Bettman doesnt give a sh!t about hockey and that its all about the money... well yes... but Fehr doesnt give a sh!t about hockey either... he was brought in to negotiate a deal and thats it, the guy just want to win and won't bend at all.

www.SterioDesign.com

#580 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I dont care about this crap anymore, after what happened to our state.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users