Pond Hockey in NJ

devilsfan26

I have never played pond hockey before because I've always lived in towns with no lakes, and I don't really know where to go. This winter I am promising myself that I shall once and for all experience pond hockey, but first I have some n00bzor questions for those who may have done this before...

1. Where are some good spots? Preferably in Central Jersey, I live in Somerset now and probably will be moving to New Brunswick in a couple weeks. If there's nowhere in this area I'd be down to travel, but I'd like to do this without having to drive very far.

2. What are you supposed to use as nets? I'm sure those plastic Mylec ones don't hold up very well and probably slide all over the place, and I don't want to dish out $100+ for one of those nice metal ones, so what do you do?

3. Is it illegal?

4. Is it a bad idea to use my regular ice hockey skates or should I use a crappy pair that I don't care about getting dinged up?

5. Anyone else interested? Most of my hockey buds only have roller hockey skates, so I need to find more people.

1. Unless they began to put signs up, fobidding hockey, like everywhere else near me, there's a place in Raritan that I remember playing on when I was younger and it got cold enough. It's not too big though, which can present a problem if there are others on the ice just skating around. I'll have to check next time I pass by for signs.

2. Usually I've seen people just use two markers of some kind(shoes/rocks/etc...), spread apart on either end of the ice for goals, in which case you'd just be sliding the puck between the markers, and not necessarily shooting in the air/into a net. This is sans goalie, of course. I only remember playing with an actual net once, and I may be remembering wrong, but it was homemade with a wooden frame. Definitely didn't move around when the puck was shot in, lol.

3. I guess it depends on where you go. I'm finding more places with signs forbidding hockey playing on its ponds, which sucks and is sad. Probably worried about lawsuits and such. But I'm sure there are places that still allow it, I just wish I knew where they were!

4. I don't think I know well enough to answer, especially since I haven't played pond hockey in awhile.

5. I'd probably be in, since I'm in the same area too. Hope some more people will chime in with their thoughts too!

PS: Above answers based on my personal experiences only. By no means are they meant to be definitive, your experience may vary. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. Must be 21 years of age or older to enter. Please drink responsibly. © 2010 :whistling:

Edited by ClarkyDano23

I have never played pond hockey before because I've always lived in towns with no lakes, and I don't really know where to go. This winter I am promising myself that I shall once and for all experience pond hockey, but first I have some n00bzor questions for those who may have done this before...

1. Where are some good spots? Preferably in Central Jersey, I live in Somerset now and probably will be moving to New Brunswick in a couple weeks. If there's nowhere in this area I'd be down to travel, but I'd like to do this without having to drive very far.

2. What are you supposed to use as nets? I'm sure those plastic Mylec ones don't hold up very well and probably slide all over the place, and I don't want to dish out $100+ for one of those nice metal ones, so what do you do?

3. Is it illegal?

4. Is it a bad idea to use my regular ice hockey skates or should I use a crappy pair that I don't care about getting dinged up?

5. Anyone else interested? Most of my hockey buds only have roller hockey skates, so I need to find more people.

If possible use a crappy pair of skates. The pond tends to be a little more brutal on them than an indoor place. I've fallen through to my ankles a few times on the edges on ponds, and usually that results in brown muddy skates.

On the pond I usually play with sneakers as goal markers, but a plastic net is fine as long as you're not firing really hard shots into it. A frozen puck + frozen plastic usually = a shattered net. A lot of people i know have built wooden nets.

Around me there are a few nice retention basins that have shallow stagnant water, that freezes smooth. I've found places like that to be the best for pond hockey. Most of the time they have hills around them that help to keep the puck from flying into a road or the woods.

Lake Muskanetcong is a good place if it gets cold enough. If the ice gets too chopped up you just move the game over 100 feet and you have a fresh sheet.

Carnegie Lake (Princeton) is huge and fun. Great for all kinds of skating -- but it's got to be frozen. I dont know if it is this year yet... :noclue:

Chubb Pond in Chester is small but really cute and great for patient games when 7 year olds and girls and dads in mid-life want to play - it is not for testosteroned up guys in their 20s or guys that want a serious game. It's also a rink thing - you know like a little puddle that freezes over - like your dad made in the back yard and stuff if you didn't have a pond near. but I'm not sure it's there yet - haven't checked -- again I suck -- but I was upstate most of the holiday so...

Wayne has pines lakes - that's cute but again don't think it's frozen yet. :noclue:

As for goal posts - see... I dont' know how you all played hockey -- but if I played it generally deteriorated into a silly game as soon as someone got pissed about losing, never getting the puck (who HATES that monkey in the middle sh!t? I HATE being the youngest... grrrrr) ANYHOW one of the goal boots was a goner... and you know that just sucks... cause even when you did the taking some smart ass gets you back and pretty soon everyone is going to be walking home with 2 soakers and ... it's just ... **sigh** Soooo since it's pond and all -- I love big ass sticks lately fallen from a tree - i .. when it's a small pond then it's the crap that pokes out at one end - you know how that is and stuff...GREAT fun jumping over it going for a goal and stuff... watching someone trip over it... the stuff frozen in the pond is like a teammate even -- aweeeeee I miss playing-- I'm so old and stuff now.

and can I write and stuff a little more?

hey remember when Stevens said "and whatnot" like FIFTY million times after one game... and whatnot.... :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn