Brodeur embarrassed himself and the franchise today

'7'

I usually hate PDB and trash talk him, but he did everything right this game.

He played the Marty card, called the time out at the right time, and put Cory in for the 3rd.

This all falls on the players. The Rangers got Marty out of position and scored on him - I've seen it happen to Marty too many times since the last lockout, he just isn't the same player.

On top of this, the rest of the team played like ass. 6 unanswered goals? Terrible.

They were making bad decisions, couldn't pass for sh!t, and way too many odd man rushes given away.

Zidlicky may be a great offensive defenseman, but I'm sick of seeing him think he's a forward and crash the net. He needs to protect the point as a defence man should.

I'm still happy I was there for the outdoor experience, I wouldn't change that for the world. It's time to move on to the next game, and I hope the front office are formulating plans to right the ship next season.

I dunno how much stock you can put in a game where the conditions were terrible (it was pouring snow by the start of the 2nd which is when things went super south), but Brodeur looked like he belonged in the ECHL today, I don't know how you can argue that. 6 goals on 20 shots, I don't care how bad your d is, you stunk up the joint 

Lundqvist did too in the beginning, but he put it together later. Marty got worse 

Edited by DH26

Now that I look around the web and read some comments it's clear to me this is not that big of a deal to people. Six (!) outdoor games this season and ours isn't even the only one played at this venue. Sure, we're going to remember this, and so are the Rangers fans, but for fans around the league it was just another game between teams they don't really care about and I bet a year (two max) from now most people aren't even going to remember the score. So yeah, the talk about embarrassing the franchise forever and dooming the club's image is just blowing this way out of proportion - it's not like this was a 3rd or 4th round playoff game.

That being said, Marty did have a terrible game, so did our defense and those guys picked a really bad time to do that, cause all the Devils fans wanted a good experience they could remember for years to come and instead, they don't want anything to do with this game anymore. But that's about it.

Brodeur let in a weak second goal just when the momentum was going our way. That's really the only thing that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth about his play today. As far as our horrible defense goes: well, it would have been nice if Marty could have come up with at least ONE big save. But he didn't. They scored on just about every ridiculous odd man rush they got and Marty was certainly not going to save the team's ass today. It was one of the worst defensive displays for our team this century.

Putting this in perspective relaxes me though. Sure, it was a big stage, but it's still just one regular season game. Let the Rags celebrate today - this is their victory - but it's also the last thing they're going to win all year.

'7' embarrassed himself and the board today.

'7', you'll get your wish soon enough, and Brodeur will be gone.  I think a lot of Devils fans at this point want to see the same thing...they're just not so damned vicious and spiteful about it.  There's just no justification for the level of hatred you spew towards him.   

Brodeur let in a weak second goal just when the momentum was going our way. That's really the only thing that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth about his play today.

Yeah right here, if this game is 3-1 at the intermission.. Who knows what happens. That token softie is killing me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

'7', you'll get your wish soon enough, and Brodeur will be gone.  I think a lot of Devils fans at this point want to see the same thing...they're just not so damned vicious and spiteful about it.  There's just no justification for the level of hatred you spew towards him.'7"

'7' has been spewing sh!t about Brodeur for 6+ years that I can remember but the reality is Brodeur has been a below average goalie for 3.5 of the last 4 seasons. And while this rant might be over-dramatic (as per usual), he Devils are putting themselves in a whole again with Brodeur's sh!t play.

Maybe it is the way Lou or Pete or Cory or the team has been programed to talk about Brodeur, but he has been very bad this year, like last year, like the year before etc. It must be frustrating for Cory to lie through his teeth and say Brodeur has been playing well. It simply isn't true. The sad part is I think Pete actually believes it. He said the other day he isn't a stats guy. Wtf does that mean? Do you pick a goalie by their 'legacy'. If you were a stats guy, you'd see a goalie with the best save percentage in the NHL over the last 3 years and 4th best this season, and another who has been in the 40s this year and the past years (currently sits at a save percentage below .900!). That's really really really awful.

I hate when Brodeur is in net and has a bad game and we analyze which goals were good goals or which were bad goals. Where was there a deflection and where did the defense leave him out to dry. Guess what, Brodeur has the luxury of playing behind a top 5 team defense and one that is always in the bottom in shots against. So today he found out what it is like for Ryan Miller or Jonathan Bernier and James Reimer or other teams that give up countless shots. He wouldn't survive on those teams. He takes his .900 save percentage there and he gives up 5+ goals every 3rd game.

No analyzing. No excuses. Just stop pucks. When Cory won the other day 2-1, did anyone discuss how many breakaways he faced or what not? Didn't have to because he makes a lot more saves. Bad breaks happen, but notice how we aren't talking about bad bounces or weird deflections with Cory. It just doesn't happen with good goalies very often.

I respect Brodeur and won't trash him like others will on this board (not many at all), but he is finished. The worst part is the Devils have a top 5 NHL goalie. This is worse for Cory than Vancouver. Luongo was/is still a very good goalie. Brodeur is not. There is no nice way to put it. The Devils have to put the name aside. It cost them last year (wasn't a better option at least). There is no reason why it should cost them a playoff spot now.

I said in the chat today that I would go with Cory until it seems obvious that he needs a break. If that's all the remaining games until the Olympics and then getting him refreshed and restarting right after the break. Points are too critical right now. I don't think Cory playing the second half of a back-to-back is a worse option than a fresh Brodeur right now.

• Like 2

Now that I look around the web and read some comments it's clear to me this is not that big of a deal to people. Six (!) outdoor games this season and ours isn't even the only one played at this venue. Sure, we're going to remember this, and so are the Rangers fans, but for fans around the league it was just another game between teams they don't really care about and I bet a year (two max) from now most people aren't even going to remember the score. So yeah, the talk about embarrassing the franchise forever and dooming the club's image is just blowing this way out of proportion - it's not like this was a 3rd or 4th round playoff game.

Yes! Was going to post something like this. 

The comments I'm reading outside of this board are mostly about how there's too many outdoor games. If they are directed at the Devils it's "Marty should retire" or something along those lines.

No one is saying the Devils and Brodeur embarrassed themselves and should never have a special event again.

'7', you'll get your wish soon enough, and Brodeur will be gone. I think a lot of Devils fans at this point want to see the same thing...they're just not so damned vicious and spiteful about it. There's just no justification for the level of hatred you spew towards him.

You're a long time fan. You know that a rangers game is different than any other.

There was no way Marty wasn't starting this game. I think everyone hoped against likelihood he'd keep them in the game.

I'm not killing them for starting him. He won't play again for a week at least. There isn't a soul who doesn't think he is the backup in every sense of the word now.

But he was a fvcking disgrace against a hated rival on a huge stage. Was the defense for sh!t in the 2nd? You betcha. But an AHL goalie keeps you in it. An AHL goalie makes one save. Marty played every odd man rush wrong.

And post game comments blame the ice and zid's skate and the defense. How about the devils would have been better with an empty net. Nobody likes that. "I was terrible. I let my guys down." That's what you say.

I wish he went the route of Hank and "pulled himself" at 3-3. Hank thought he wasn't going to make the 2nd.

dr33, with the exception of how you're remembering 2010-11 and 2011-12 (he had terrific second halves in both seasons, including the playoffs in 2012), we're basically in agreement.  I've pointed out that last year, and this year, he's been largely a poor puckstopper.  PDB and others are never going to come out and say Marty's not good anymore, but yeah, don't insult our intelligence with "He's still playing well" comments.  We all know it's simply not true.   

dr33, with the exception of how you're remembering 2010-11 and 2011-12 (he had terrific second halves in both seasons, including the playoffs in 2012), we're basically in agreement.  I've pointed out that last year, and this year, he's been largely a poor puckstopper.  PDB and others are never going to come out and say Marty's not good anymore, but yeah, don't insult our intelligence with "He's still playing well" comments.  We all know it's simply not true.   

I'm not remembering it differently than it happened, but you can't be so damn awful and a big part of the reason why your team is out of the playoffs and then start playing a lot better...and it be considered having a good year. He and the team was able to climb out of their hole one of those years and not the others. In the 2011-2012 playffs, he was very lucky to be looking down at Jose Theodore/Scott Clemmensen or the Devils would be 1-and-done with the way he played in most of that series.

Edited by devilsrule33

sundstrom, like you said, we all knew Marty was getting this game.  We all hoped for the best.  That clearly didn't happen.  Marty didn't play well at all, but neither did the team.   

I already addressed it in the GDT, but I think this game slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  He's a backup now.  If he's anything more than that, then PDB is an idiot. 

I'm not remembering it differently than it happened, but you can't be so damn awful and a big part of the reason why your team is out of the playoffs and then start playing a lot better...and it be considered having a good year. He and the team was able to climb out of their hole one of those years and not the others. In the 2011-2012 playffs, he was very lucky to be looking down at Jose Theodore/Scott Clemmensen or the Devils would be 1-and-done with the way he played in most of that series.

C'mon, there was a LOT of suckage to go around in the first half of 2010-11, starting with a head coach who clearly was in over his head.  I didn't say Marty's 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons were good.  They were inconsistent.   

I think you're so pissed about today you're now looking to take 2010-11 and 2011-12 down a peg.  So be it. 

C'mon, there was a LOT of suckage to go around in the first half of 2010-11, starting with a head coach who clearly was in over his head.  I didn't say Marty's 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons were good.  They were inconsistent.   

I think you're so pissed about today you're now looking to take 2010-11 and 2011-12 down a peg.  So be it. 

I'm not upset about today, btw. I'm upset about the season and the splits and the comments from Pete/Brodeur/Cory, etc. Inconsistent is the right word.

But what was the excuse for the 11/12 start. By the end of December, he had a GAA over 3 and a save percentage below .885. He picked up his level. He was very good, but having a goalie that can be that bad was concerning.

I think he was solid in 10/11. Lemaire came him and got the team playing well. But the overall result of those two seasons was atrocious play followed by good play. That leaves the end result has two below seasons for an NHL goaltender.

'7' has been spewing sh!t about Brodeur for 6+ years that I can remember but the reality is Brodeur has been a below average goalie for 3.5 of the last 4 seasons. And while this rant might be over-dramatic (as per usual), he Devils are putting themselves in a whole again with Brodeur's sh!t play.

Maybe it is the way Lou or Pete or Cory or the team has been programed to talk about Brodeur, but he has been very bad this year, like last year, like the year before etc. It must be frustrating for Cory to lie through his teeth and say Brodeur has been playing well. It simply isn't true. The sad part is I think Pete actually believes it. He said the other day he isn't a stats guy. Wtf does that mean? Do you pick a goalie by their 'legacy'. If you were a stats guy, you'd see a goalie with the best save percentage in the NHL over the last 3 years and 4th best this season, and another who has been in the 40s this year and the past years (currently sits at a save percentage below .900!). That's really really really awful.

I hate when Brodeur is in net and has a bad game and we analyze which goals were good goals or which were bad goals. Where was there a deflection and where did the defense leave him out to dry. Guess what, Brodeur has the luxury of playing behind a top 5 team defense and one that is always in the bottom in shots against. So today he found out what it is like for Ryan Miller or Jonathan Bernier and James Reimer or other teams that give up countless shots. He wouldn't survive on those teams. He takes his .900 save percentage there and he gives up 5+ goals every 3rd game.

No analyzing. No excuses. Just stop pucks. When Cory won the other day 2-1, did anyone discuss how many breakaways he faced or what not? Didn't have to because he makes a lot more saves. Bad breaks happen, but notice how we aren't talking about bad bounces or weird deflections with Cory. It just doesn't happen with good goalies very often.

I respect Brodeur and won't trash him like others will on this board (not many at all), but he is finished. The worst part is the Devils have a top 5 NHL goalie. This is worse for Cory than Vancouver. Luongo was/is still a very good goalie. Brodeur is not. There is no nice way to put it. The Devils have to put the name aside. It cost them last year (wasn't a better option at least). There is no reason why it should cost them a playoff spot now.

I said in the chat today that I would go with Cory until it seems obvious that he needs a break. If that's all the remaining games until the Olympics and then getting him refreshed and restarting right after the break. Points are too critical right now. I don't think Cory playing the second half of a back-to-back is a worse option than a fresh Brodeur right now.

Fantastic post dr, well said.

This is really an unfortunate way to see this all come to a head for Brodeur. It really has become the perfect sh!tstorm for an absolutely horrible day for the Devils. 2 out of every 3 games he starts, Brodeur still gives a good effort but those games where he's off, it just absolutely kills us. I think there's at least 5-6 games where you can question if we would have been much better off with Cory in net. Conservatively, that's at least 7-8 points putting us comfortably in 2nd place even with the assumption Cory wouldn't have always been the difference.

Speaking for me personally, the mind boggling personnel decisions by DeBoer and Lou pissing away this years draft pick has me on edge for every single point we give away. If there was a draft pick at the end of the rainbow, it would be one thing but I have no illusions that this team can win anything significant. On the other hand, with the division being as bad as it is, I think we're absolutely good enough to make the 2nd round of the playoffs. Everything that is going on is so hard to accept given how bad we're going to look when we give up a top pick and fvcking Lou almost seems to be oblivious to it.

I hate that it's come to this point for a guy that has done so much for the franchise but I really don't want to see much more of Brodeur, or for that matter Lou, but part of it is MBs fault for trying to hang on when he should have walked away by now.

You're a long time fan. You know that a rangers game is different than any other.

There was no way Marty wasn't starting this game. I think everyone hoped against likelihood he'd keep them in the game.

I'm not killing them for starting him. He won't play again for a week at least. There isn't a soul who doesn't think he is the backup in every sense of the word now.

But he was a fvcking disgrace against a hated rival on a huge stage. Was the defense for sh!t in the 2nd? You betcha. But an AHL goalie keeps you in it. An AHL goalie makes one save. Marty played every odd man rush wrong.

And post game comments blame the ice and zid's skate and the defense. How about the devils would have been better with an empty net. Nobody likes that. "I was terrible. I let my guys down." That's what you say.

I wish he went the route of Hank and "pulled himself" at 3-3. Hank thought he wasn't going to make the 2nd.

He never has, you know that already though. I believe it was you who flipped out back in 2012 playoffs after one of the Panthers games where he played a puck to Volch terribly wrong and said "I played it exactly where I wanted to"

Not once in his career has he ever blamed himself or took responsibility in an interview like that, it's my biggest Brodeurian pet peeve.

Great post as usual but the bolded part really stood out to me because it seems so true. It really does seem the way the Devils organization is "programmed" to talk about Brodeur almost makes him seem bigger than the organization.

I'm not trying to take a shot at Brodeur here, he's a legend and I respect him a lot, but I've always noticed throughout the years he usually deflects blame off of himself, sometimes towards his teammates. It wasn't so bad when he was still in his prime but now that he's way past it, it does come off a bit cringe worthy. I'm sure the players "get it" but at the same time it must be frustrating.

I already addressed it in the GDT, but I think this game slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  He's a backup now.  If he's anything more than that, then PDB is an idiot. 

I agree 100% and I think we will see CS get the overwhelming majority of starts now. I've been critical of DeBoer this year but I actually can't get on him for playing Brodeur so much earlier. It's a delicate situation and has to be hard to manage.