No compliance buy outs per TG... Ack

DevilMinder

Tri do you think for those reasons he could possibly be acquired by a team desperate enough for what Anton might be able to offer.

Only if the Devils pick up some of his salary and/or take a worse (but shorter) contract back.  I've been thinking that a Heatley for Volchenkov (less between 500k and 1M of his deal) swap makes some sense.  Hemsky perhaps also.

After some thought about it, an Anton buy out would be great - but I'm not sure it has to be this year. If we're not going to be a cap team anyway, then you can have him hang around. Someone in a playoff spot could get desperate and acquire him as well. He could also be claimed off waivers too.

The thing is, the Devils don't really have a defenseman in the Volchenkov mold in their system.  They signed Helgeson, but who knows what he is - at best, he can be thought of as a possible back-pairing defender.  That's not to say that *I* think he should be kept on that account, but we know Lou was high on the idea of his physicality when he was signed.  I still think he's quite excellent on the penalty kill where speed is less of a factor.  Not worth the salary, but we also haven't seen him pushed up in the rotation when people above him get hurt - I'd be curious what that would be like.

If Fayne is moved for a good piece either up front of a pick move - than I think we'll need his Anton's competence - even if it's not ideal.

If a defender gets moved, absolutely.  I'm not convinced they're keeping Zidlicky, and while I'd like for them to break in one of the rookies this year, two would be a bit of a nightmare.  I think Devils fans forget the Hale-Martin days of early 03-04.

Edited by Triumph

Fayne is arguably one of our top defensemen. Moving him would be a terrible idea.

I think he's the most underrated player (by our own fans) on the entire team. I'm only good with moving Fayne if its part of a package that is bringing us back something great i.e. a true first or second line scoring forward.

that 8 dmen carousel was so ridiculous. Fayne would get scratch one game just to be facing top competition the next game.

now we may not have it since Zid may not re-sign but then if he doesnt Lou may bring another young dman who's gonna rotten on the bench for a few games after each of his mistakes while bryce and anton are getting away with murder. So looking forward to this

that 8 dmen carousel was so ridiculous. Fayne would get scratch one game just to be facing top competition the next game.

now we may not have it since Zid may not re-sign but then if he doesnt Lou may bring another young dman who's gonna rotten on the bench for a few games after each of his mistakes while bryce and anton are getting away with murder. So looking forward to this

Not just Fayne, but I thought it messed with  Larsson a lot too. 

Fayne is arguably one of our top defensemen. Moving him would be a terrible idea.

Agree, in a matter of one season he's really taken form. I cringed everytime he stepped on the ice a couple years ago, and now he's one of our most solid guys. Glad we didn't impulsively get rid of him when he wasn't playing all that well back then (the reason I'm not a GM)..

2) If we choose to buy someone out - the argument that we can't because we lack the financial strength to is invalid.  This is because we actually save money immediately this season by saving money on salary and potentially replacing that player with a cheaper contract.    This is not a reflection that our current personnel are weaker (or stronger) than our prospects, it's strictly a financial reflection. 

Someone explain to me how the Devils would "save money immediately" by having to hand a check to Volchenkov tomorrow for $8.5 million (2/3 of his remaining contract)?   JVB would need to start printing money himself.

Saving cap room?  Yes.  Saving "money" immediately?  Hell no.

Someone explain to me how the Devils would "save money immediately" by having to hand a check to Volchenkov tomorrow for $8.5 million (2/3 of his remaining contract)?   JVB would need to start printing money himself.

Saving cap room?  Yes.  Saving "money" immediately?  Hell no.

That's not how it works this time, the payouts are like a normal buyout, spread out over 6 years.  So Volchenkov would be making 2/3 * 1/2 of his cap hit this year.