GDT: Devils @ Phailures 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

We have to be realistic though. This win was Marty's best game in a very long time. This is more likely an isolated incident than the start of a trend

They will be splitting in Florida.  Brodeur should get the Panthers and Schneider the Lightning

If Marty's really the starting goalie now they'll give him the Lightning.  But they'll probably cherry-pick, give him the Florida game and throw Schnieder to thee wolves in Tampa.  It'll be interesting to see how they split up next week.  I could see them doing something kooky like giving Marty three straight and waiting till the Toronto game to play Cory again.

If Marty's really the starting goalie now they'll give him the Lightning. But they'll probably cherry-pick, give him the Florida game and throw Schnieder to thee wolves in Tampa. It'll be interesting to see how they split up next week. I could see them doing something kooky like giving Marty three straight and waiting till the Toronto game to play Cory again.

I could actually see Cory getting Florida so he can play against Luongo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marty was strong and lucky. The flyers missed the net a bunch especially claude

But he played dam good

Not sure I liked seeing Ryder and clowe on the ice with less than 2:00 left they're horrible in our end

Merrill's letting us know he's a rookie

How much longer do we give brunner the point on the PP

Btw the flyers impressed me defensively what a big turn around from last year

Edited by EdgeControl

Marty was strong and lucky. The flyers missed the net a bunch especially claude

But he played dam good

Not sure I liked seeing Ryder and clowe on the ice with less than 2:00 left they're horrible in our end

Merrill's letting us know he's a rookie

How much longer do we give brunner the point on the PP

I don't think Ryder was out that late - with around 10 minutes left they swapped Gionta for Ryder and went that way the rest of the game.  

Honestly, Cory sitting on the bench behind Brodeur and watching Luongo start for the Panthers....would be hilarious/sad.

Winning's getting precedence over that at this point in the season though...although yeah I could picture that being the last straw for Cory here the way Luongo getting sat in the 'outdoor' game was the last straw for him there.

Pete did sit Brunner against Detroit, which worked out in the long run so it's not like he's never done something like that.

If Marty's really the starting goalie now they'll give him the Lightning.  But they'll probably cherry-pick, give him the Florida game and throw Schnieder to thee wolves in Tampa.  It'll be interesting to see how they split up next week.  I could see them doing something kooky like giving Marty three straight and waiting till the Toronto game to play Cory again.

Marty will have that bad game where everyone will be clamoring back to Cory. I honesty can't believe that amazing stretch didn't build up any cache with the franchise.

But things are still too fluid here to call Brodeur the starter

Ryder needs to start burying his chances, no goals in 20 game is inexcusable, especially since he had a similar drought earlier in the year. He coul be the difference if Henrique Jagr and Elias get cold. We need him now with the tough upcoming hone stand.

Marty will have that bad game where everyone will be clamoring back to Cory. I honesty can't believe that amazing stretch didn't build up any cache with the franchise.

Because he only won half the games.  See, the trick is to have the offense score for you.

Problem is he didn't get enough wins during that stretch.  And for some reason they just win more for Marty.  It defies logic but at this point it is what it is, whether they're more comfortable with him, like him better or what I can't attribute it to luck forever.  Even if there's no earthy reason to explain why Marty with his stats has his record and Cory with his stats has his record.

Tonight is a perfect example of the shot totals being misleading.  The Devils stifled them defensively, and the Flyers didn't get that many good scoring chances.  That 3rd period was a defensive clinic by the Devils.

I wouldn't call it a defensive clinic. They were holding on to the lead by their fingernails and almost lost it at the end. Wish they could close out games easier with a 1 goal lead.

Ryder needs to start burying his chances, no goals in 20 game is inexcusable, especially since he had a similar drought earlier in the year. He coul be the difference if Henrique Jagr and Elias get cold. We need him now with the tough upcoming hone stand.

The dude is just snake bitten right now.

I wouldn't call it a defensive clinic. They were holding on to the lead by their fingernails and almost lost it at the end. Wish they could close out games easier with a 1 goal lead.

I didn't in any way feel threatened during the final few minutes that the Flyers were gonna score.  It would have taken perfect play execution for them to score the tying goal.  The Devils were hard on the puck, and that was the key.  They didn't let Philly cycle the puck with ease.

Problem is he didn't get enough wins during that stretch.  And for some reason they just win more for Marty.  It defies logic but at this point it is what it is, whether they're more comfortable with him, like him better or what I can't attribute it to luck forever.  Even if there's no earthy reason to explain why Marty with his stats has his record and Cory with his stats has his record.

And Steve Mason's put up 930 SV%'s over longer stretches than Marty's gotten that scoring for him. Give me a break. There's no reason because it's a fluke 

And Steve Mason's put up 930 SV%'s over longer stretches than Marty's gotten that scoring for him. Give me a break. There's no reason because it's a fluke 

It's easy to dismiss everything as a fluke.  For two years I've been hearing the Leafs are a fluke cause of their advanced stats, and yet they keep winning.  Last year and most of this year I heard the Devils' lack of goalscoring was a fluke.  What's the statute of limitations on whether it's a fluke...40 games, 60?  100?  Or is it just a fluke indefinitely?

It's easy to dismiss everything as a fluke.  For two years I've been hearing the Leafs are a fluke cause of their advanced stats, and yet they keep winning.  Last year and most of this year I heard the Devils' lack of goalscoring was a fluke.  What's the statute of limitations on whether it's a fluke...40 games, 60?  100?  Or is it just a fluke indefinitely?

Well how about this...Brodeur has been awful for 3 and a half seasons. The Devils have been in a playoff spot for 10% of that time. The winning with him is a fluke.

The thing about the Leafs...it helps when you have one of the best goalies in the NHL this season in Bernier.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

Well how about this...Brodeur has been awful for 3 and a half seasons. The Devils have been in a playoff spot for 10% of that time. The winning with him is a fluke.

The thing about the Leafs...it helps when you have one of the best goalies in the NHL this season in Bernier.

Except that they probably make the playoffs last year if Hedberg or the reclamation offense wasn't both beyond awful.  And three years ago was a total team meltdown in the first half.

You can't have the offense scoring 3+ goals a game for Brodeur and 1.5 goals a game for Cory continue indefinitely and keep dismissing it as a fluke.  There has to be 'something' there.  Especially when you see some of the efforts they put up for Cory compared to the efforts they usually put up for Marty.

Yup. At some point, winning becomes winning.

Except that they probably make the playoffs last year if Hedberg or the reclamation offense wasn't both beyond awful. And three years ago was a total team meltdown in the first half.

You can't have the offense scoring 3+ goals a game for Brodeur and 1.5 goals a game for Cory continue indefinitely and keep dismissing it as a fluke. There has to be 'something' there. Especially when you see some of the efforts they put up for Cory compared to the efforts they usually put up for Marty.

Sometimes teams playing in front of an inferior goalie are all jacked up to play well, knowing if they have a sh!t game they are going to get crushed. Maybe they feel the pressure when playing with Brodeur and relax knowing Cory is going to make saves.

That's all I got other than a flat out mutiny which I could never imagine