Gulitti: Devils STILL a Mickey Mouse Organization

HellOnICE

eh, he had a good point, and went totally off the reservation with a laundry list of things that seem more like personal complaints... like the radio thing. I think deep down he's a little bitter that they brought back the Rangers gig and didn't give it back to him. they all can't be Glen

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. While what TG is saying is correct (about keeping the fans more in the loop about the problems), he really went over-the-top here in my opinion. It's one thing to make a statement about some deficiencies in fan communication by the organization, it's another to rip them a new you know what and imply that people are correct in calling them a mickey mouse organization. This guy is in many ways the voice of the organization and players to the fans, and in my opinion it's irresponsible of him to take this kind of attitude and make it public.

Wow. While what TG is saying is correct (about keeping the fans more in the loop about the problems), he really went over-the-top here in my opinion. It's one thing to make a statement about some deficiencies in fan communication by the organization, it's another to rip them a new you know what and imply that people are correct in calling them a mickey mouse organization. This guy is in many ways the voice of the organization and players to the fans, and in my opinion it's irresponsible of him to take this kind of attitude and make it public.

He did go over the top, but it was at least humorous to me. I am curious if there will be any fallout between him and the team from this. Who is he an employee of?

he's a Rangers fan, it's the worst kept secret in the local media. there are moments it really comes out (random stories about being on the phone with Sather, etc.).... this was like all of those moments rolled up into one.

anyone that covers the Devils should know there's two words you don't use. he used them. wouldn't be surprised if he just pissed off 50% of his audience beyond repair. there's people that still get in Gretzky's face NOWADAYS about that.

TG is a reporter and it's his job to keep some higher ups in line and represent the voice of the people, I'm glad he wrote that article and I have to agree with it 100%.

I'd like to see better music, videoes that don't suck and an OOT scoreboard for Christ's sake.

TG is a reporter and it's his job to keep some higher ups in line and represent the voice of the people, I'm glad he wrote that article and I have to agree with it 100%.

I'd like to see better music, videoes that don't suck and an OOT scoreboard for Christ's sake.

TG is representing TG. TG is pissed because he can't go golfing with Sather anymore. this is a guy who goes parading saying he's not a Devils fan and could care less, and then he writes something like that? does not compute.

TG is representing TG. TG is pissed because he can't go golfing with Sather anymore. this is a guy who goes parading saying he's not a Devils fan and could care less, and then he writes something like that? does not compute.

I really cant say I disagreed with a good portion of the things he had to say but the way he said them was just not right. He really came off like a pissed off opposition fan. Its one thing to make a valid point but it shouldn't be done in a belittling way either. He really tried to stick it up the organization's ass with this piece.

You guys are pathetic in this attack on TG. Nowhere in his years of covering NJ, has he come across as a Rangers fan. You guys are deluding yourselves. He used to cover the Rangers, may have grown up a fan of the NYR, but he has been nothing short of a stellar journalist while covering the Devils. He took them to task here for very valid reasons. Is it a little harsh, maybe. But what he's saying is very mirrored what some of ourselves have said along the years. Hardly coming across like a Rangers fan. Those of you rushing to that one sound plain retarded.

If anything he doesn't need to worry about ticking off the Devils, he doesn't work for them. But he does need to worry about ticking off the fans, the people who read his blog.

Most of the comments are in support of TG, including myself.

You guys are pathetic in this attack on TG. Nowhere in his years of covering NJ, has he come across as a Rangers fan. You guys are deluding yourselves. He used to cover the Rangers, may have grown up a fan of the NYR, but he has been nothing short of a stellar journalist while covering the Devils. He took them to task here for very valid reasons. Is it a little harsh, maybe. But what he's saying is very mirrored what some of ourselves have said along the years. Hardly coming across like a Rangers fan. Those of you rushing to that one sound plain retarded.

Most of the comments are in support of TG, including myself.

Great summary.

if you can't see through his tone, I don't know what the tell you. it reads like somewhat well-written HFBoards.com main forum ranting.

if he didn't want to invite those comments, he should have written it in another tone. the feigned anger bit isn't working for me, it's just someone who got his cornflakes pissed in over the years, and he's found a window to get his pound of flesh.

what he says... is true. but the way he writes it, completely invalidates it, let's put it this way, if you were Jeff and you were reading your email, and this was written in the form of a complaint instead of a blog, you'd be sending it off to the "junk" bin.

a half a day later, sleeps it off, and still comes with that tone. fvck him. he was one of the people that were being paid to be there and it comes off more as him being "put off" on the Devils than giving a sh!t about anyone. if he wanted to look like Robin Hood, he should have written it in a tone that wasn't going to set people off.

he does a good job, but he has moments where he gives me the same skeeves that listening to Homer Joe on a Rangers telecast gives me.

This is by far one of the most direct, open, honest, to-the-point articles I have read in a very long time. Kudos to Tommy Gulitti for putting this out.

Let's face it, customer relations are not the Devils forte. Lou Lamoriello could care less about what fans are in the stands. He cares about his team succeeding on the ice, and doing whatever he has to do to achieve that. Unfortunately, customer service suffers in the process.

Granted, the lights don't go out too often during a game. So I'm sure the team's "emergency management plan" was never developed for situations like this.

However, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the fans are the first people to address. Airlines, for example, are regulated by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT in situations like these. YOU MUST make announcements, even if you have no information to give passengers on delayed flights. Failure to do so could result in significant fines, not to mention all the bad press.

TG makes a good point about putting the MSG feed on the big board. That would have been a good idea. Another idea would have been to give all the fans "something to hold them over" like free popcorn and small soft drinks. It would not have cost them much, and would have been a good gesture.

My personal feeling yesterday when I saw the guys slide the nets off the ice was..."This is still an organization that isn't concerned with its fans or its perception to the public. It's as if, in their minds, they play hockey in a practice arena anyways...just as long as they win, that's all that counts..."

Although I agree, WINNING is the ULTIMATE MARKETING TOOL, I just say c'mon Lou, try to pretend you care about the fans and the money they spend...trust me, it will go a long way ;-)

TG...great article. I'm buying you a nice Campari on ice for that one!

This is by far one of the most direct, open, honest, to-the-point articles I have read in a very long time. Kudos to Tommy Gulitti for putting this out.

Let's face it, customer relations are not the Devils forte. Lou Lamoriello could care less about what fans are in the stands. He cares about his team succeeding on the ice, and doing whatever he has to do to achieve that. Unfortunately, customer service suffers in the process.

Granted, the lights don't go out too often during a game. So I'm sure the team's "emergency management plan" was never developed for situations like this.

However, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the fans are the first people to address. Airlines, for example, are regulated by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT in situations like these. YOU MUST make announcements, even if you have no information to give passengers on delayed flights. Failure to do so could result in significant fines, not to mention all the bad press.

TG makes a good point about putting the MSG feed on the big board. That would have been a good idea. Another idea would have been to give all the fans "something to hold them over" like free popcorn and small soft drinks. It would not have cost them much, and would have been a good gesture.

My personal feeling yesterday when I saw the guys slide the nets off the ice was..."This is still an organization that isn't concerned with its fans or its perception to the public. It's as if, in their minds, they play hockey in a practice arena anyways...just as long as they win, that's all that counts..."

Although I agree, WINNING is the ULTIMATE MARKETING TOOL, I just say c'mon Lou, try to pretend you care about the fans and the money they spend...trust me, it will go a long way ;-)

TG...great article. I'm buying you a nice Campari on ice for that one!

if they gave out free popcorn and soda, they would have run out of both in about 3 minutes, and the running out and the ensuing stampede + injuries would have had their own complaint threads.

If anything he doesn't need to worry about ticking off the Devils, he doesn't work for them.

Are you serious? He works with the Devils players and staff in a professional climate that is inclusive to many things. I am 100% sure he'll pay for this in some form or another. Bank on it.

But he does need to worry about ticking off the fans, the people who read his blog.

Not reading his blog won't do anything to him.

Edited by SJP20

MR GULITTI, pray tell what you wanted the Devils to do? I am sure you have been to many baseball games in your time and sometimes it rains. I never remember Bob Shepard getting on the public address system giving weather updates, do you? The Devils were put in a tough position last night and did the best they could. The organization tried for nearly two hours to restore the status quo but unfortunately could not. I like Mr. Lamoriello do not see the point on issuing a statement every thirty minutes that PSE&G are working on the problem. What is the point in stating the obvious?

Now in terms of how the team markets itself. I do not want us to turn into the Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes, or the Nashville Predators who use hokey promotions to rope in fans. I want people at devils games because they love hockey not because of extracurricular influences.

my response

This is where I get a bit disappointed at the comparisons. Weather is weather, and it's obvious. You also have passengers in airport terminals why flights are cancelled when there's three inches of snow on the ground. That's obvious too, no?

Delay because of lighting? This wasn't as obvious, especially considering that there was sufficient lighting to complete the game. PSE&G, PRU CENTER STAFF, MARTHA STEWART...whoever...if they are to blame, that's something that can be taken up afterwards. No matter who was to blame, however, yesterday, the face of the incident belonged to the NJ Devils and the NHL. That's who had to step to the plate to address the fans.

People that pay decent fare, especially considering today's economy, need to be treated with a bit more consideration. Yes, it's hockey, but this is also a business. If they can charge me $4 for a pretzel, then they better have answers when stuff like this happens. Period.

Stop making excuses for mediocrity.

Stuff happens. This I know and understand. Trust me. It's how you deal with that "stuff" that makes a difference. The Devils obviously have a very valuable lesson to learn here. They need to hire individuals who have worked in other service industries in order to better level their portfolio. Right now, service is lacking, and it's showing that their staff is inexperienced in delivering.

Done.

I think that TG was a little unprofessional in his tone, but I think his comments were spot-on. The Devils play a great game but unfortunately have no game when it comes to in-game experience. I've now been to games in Pittsburgh, Philly and Washington and they ALL do a better job of making the game fun. And it's not just because their DJ's are better. It's things like multiple, small giveaways (Washington), having the PA announcer call the Mites on Ice game (Philly), having a blimp that flies around during intermissions and drops coupons (Pittsburgh). They make the game more interactive and inviting, not like you're paying to watch a team scrimmage against another. I thought it was frightening that the in-game experience for the Lowell game the other night was pretty much as good as the average Devils game. This fiasco last night was pretty terrible. I understand why the Devils made no announcements, but really, they have to do SOMETHING. I sit there for an hour and a half, and it's not like they're paying me to sit there.

A lot of improvements have to be made. The video shouldn't just be NJ Devil on the farm or whatever. Get some interviews with players about their favorite pizza toppings or some crap. Don't do the stupid zamboni race at every game. I wouldn't even be against getting rid of Super Score-O in favor of something more flashy (and I'm NOT talking about sumo hockey). Ticket prices have to go down. I thought the Devils Meet and Greet the other day was great, why can't we have more of those? And not just for STH's. The Flyers are sitting in 9th right now, but I was at the game tonight and you would never know the difference. There's lots of room for improvement.

I'm fairly convinced that when Lou's tenure is done here, the on-ice product might decline, but I bet a lot of off-ice stuff will get a lot better. It's a scary thought, but it's the only way we're getting more fans in the building.

I also think it's quite fitting that I feel more welcomed while watching an MSG+ broadcast with Doc and Chico than I do while I'm in the Prudential Center watching a game.

Edited by DevilNurn

Are you serious? He works with the Devils players and staff in a professional climate that is inclusive to many things. I am 100% sure he'll pay for this in some form or another. Bank on it.

If Mark (N)Єverson is still allowed in the locker room and to follow this team, I think Tom Gulitti is safe. I do think the article was a bit much though. This was a bizarre incident that I don't think any team has a plan for. Hopefully something like this never happens again, but if it does, I'm curious to see how differently it's handled.

I think that TG was a little unprofessional in his tone, but I think his comments were spot-on. The Devils play a great game but unfortunately have no game when it comes to in-game experience. I've now been to games in Pittsburgh, Philly and Washington and they ALL do a better job of making the game fun. And it's not just because their DJ's are better. It's things like multiple, small giveaways (Washington), having the PA announcer call the Mites on Ice game (Philly), having a blimp that flies around during intermissions and drops coupons (Pittsburgh). They make the game more interactive and inviting, not like you're paying to watch a team scrimmage against another. I thought it was frightening that the in-game experience for the Lowell game the other night was pretty much as good as the average Devils game. This fiasco last night was pretty terrible. I understand why the Devils made no announcements, but really, they have to do SOMETHING. I sit there for an hour and a half, and it's not like they're paying me to sit there.

A lot of improvements have to be made. The video shouldn't just be NJ Devil on the farm or whatever. Get some interviews with players about their favorite pizza toppings or some crap . Don't do the stupid zamboni race at every game. I wouldn't even be against getting rid of Super Score-O in favor of something more flashy (and I'm NOT talking about sumo hockey). Ticket prices have to go down. I thought the Devils Meet and Greet the other day was great, why can't we have more of those? And not just for STH's. The Flyers are sitting in 9th right now, but I was at the game tonight and you would never know the difference. There's lots of room for improvement.

I'm fairly convinced that when Lou's tenure is done here, the on-ice product might decline, but I bet a lot of off-ice stuff will get a lot better. It's a scary thought, but it's the only way we're getting more fans in the building.

I also think it's quite fitting that I feel more welcomed while watching an MSG+ broadcast with Doc and Chico than I do while I'm in the Prudential Center watching a game.

alright, the bolds. first off, do you understand how lame these sound?

b1: they had this already. it was a farce and a running joke because it dropped more coupons on the rink than it did on the fans.

b2: how is that better? that's just as lame if not more lame. I don't care about Colin White's favorite movie or Rod Pelley's job as a sandwich artist. (of course everyone that was there Friday gets this) :lol:

b3: they have no shortage of people signing up for score-o and it's a promotion the team gets paid for, why would they get rid of it?

the music selection sucks but that's on the people in the sound booths, at times it's been better but this year it is ass.

Edited by maxpower

alright, the bolds. first off, do you understand how lame these sound?

b1: they had this already. it was a farce and a running joke because it dropped more coupons on the rink than it did on the fans.

b2: how is that better? that's just as lame if not more lame. I don't care about Colin White's favorite movie or Rod Pelley's job as a sandwich artist. (of course everyone that was there Friday gets this) :lol:

b3: they have no shortage of people signing up for score-o and it's a promotion the team gets paid for, why would they get rid of it?

the music selection sucks but that's on the people in the sound booths, at times it's been better but this year it is ass.

Personally, I was impressed by the music guy Friday night. Playing Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark" shortly after the teams went back to the dressing room was an inspired bit of DJing. :thumbsup:

b1: At the Penguins game that I saw, they made it fun. Maybe it'd get old after a while, but I thought it was successful for a one-time attendee.

b2: It's better because it makes the players seem more accessible. Makes people feel more invited to know the players and the team. It's small, and seems lame. But honestly, put Kim in the locker room before one of their practices and have a team member give a funny interview to a team member and broadcast the best answer they gave. This isn't an attempt to glorify Rod Pelley's sandwich artist job (which, admittedly, was a really stupid question), but it would be way more interesting to me than watching the zamboni race animation again.

b3: I sign up for Super Score-O every game. I'm not saying it's a bad promotion, and I'm not saying it's the problem. Because it gets all the fans into it. But I'm saying that if the team found something better, I wouldn't leave Score-O in due to "tradition," I would favor a bigger moneymaker if one came around.

My specific points might be weak but I'm not a marketing guy or in-game experience manager. I'm not getting paid for this. But we have guys who are. There are ways to make it better and we're not taking advantage, so we're losing fans and we're losing money because of it.

Personally, I was impressed by the music guy Friday night. Playing Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark" shortly after the teams went back to the dressing room was an inspired bit of DJing. :thumbsup:

yeah, but it doesn't make up for the other stuff that gets played. that have nothing on Pittsburgh. playing Danzig during a fight is inspired stuff

My specific points might be weak but I'm not a marketing guy or in-game experience manager. I'm not getting paid for this. But we have guys who are. There are ways to make it better and we're not taking advantage, so we're losing fans and we're losing money because of it.

It was kind of sad that the mascot was only out for a small part of that nearly two-hour wait, and that there was really nothing to occupy the fans. I was fine just hanging out, walking around the concourse, talking to cupcake23 and njdevil26 and just generally enjoying the weirdness of it all, but not everyone has that mindset.

It could have gotten out of control fast. I'm pretty proud of how the fans handled themselves throughout the whole thing, really. We were an extremely relaxed and well-behaved bunch considering the circumstances, and that was in spite of the Devils' choices, not because of them. Up until the one dude threw the soda bottle on the ice, everything was either peaceful, or in good fun (throwing the hats, making the guy come all the way down, pick it up, go back, then throwing another. I think even the guy on the ice was getting a kick out of that).

Who knows, maybe a lesson is learned here - we know someone at the Devils marketing department is here and reads what we say and usually responds anyway, so you have to think someone'll at least consider our responses to the way things were handled.