Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Montreal's off-season plan was to get bigger at all costs, but of course that changes as soon as a French Canadian comes on the market. It doesn't matter if he is one of the smallest players on the market and adds nothing that they need.

pretty much everyone's refuting hte original report. MTL's mgmt said it was a surprise to them so let's let this play out

From long time hockey journalist Jim Matheson...

https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/352880335169654784

"I keep hearing C Stephen Weiss is looking for $6 mil a year as UFA. That's too rich for me as solid No. 2 centre"

Sure looks like the Devils gave Zajac a deal he might not have even gotten on the free agent market. Maybe matched, but I can't imagine higher. 

pretty much everyone's refuting hte original report. MTL's mgmt said it was a surprise to them so let's let this play out

Sure, let it play out, but my point is it's pretty funny that MTL is looking at Briere in the first place.

Edited by devilsrule33

Sure looks like the Devils gave Zajac a deal he might not have even gotten on the free agent market. Maybe matched, but I can't imagine higher. 

That's how some of these deals signed a year in advance work.  Would Tyler Seguin have gotten a 6 year 5.75M per deal coming off this season?  I don't think so.

That's how some of these deals signed a year in advance work.  Would Tyler Seguin have gotten a 6 year 5.75M per deal coming off this season?  I don't think so.

I think there is a better chance Seguin gets that deal than Zajac. It's hard to compare since one could have been a UFA now and one could not. If Seguin was a UFA, I think most teams with cap space still give him that deal. Not sure what Zajac would get on the open market now. But it's the nature of the beast. After this past season, Zajac might have just as easily walked. Who knows? Devils are better off with him and that contract than without.

Edited by devilsrule33

They only have around $10M cap left to spend.  (taking $2.5-3M out for Josefson and Henrique, well, mostly Henrique) So I'm not sure why someone would believe they're going out and signing everyone in the first place.  And they're already at $55M+ in cash spent.

I'd say they may make one significant signing.   Or maybe two Clowe level things.

Also, if they were to spend to the cap they'd be around $69M in payroll.   I'm not sure that's happening, if it is, their financial health is grossly understated.   I'm not convinced they're going to easily dump off defensive salary.

Edited by maxpower

They only have around $10M cap left to spend.  (taking $2.5-3M out for Josefson and Henrique, well, mostly Henrique) So I'm not sure why someone would believe they're going out and signing everyone in the first place.  And they're already at $55M+ in cash spent.

I'd say they may make one significant signing.   Or maybe two Clowe level things.

Also, if they were to spend to the cap they'd be around $69M in payroll.   I'm not sure that's happening, if it is, their financial health is grossly understated.   I'm not convinced they're going to easily dump off defensive salary.

I think if they pick up 1/3rd of Tallinder's contract he's easy to move.  The trades won't happen until the free agents are settled, but Tallinder at 1/2.3 is a pretty great deal for a team.

Pretty much this. IMO, Lamoriello made a mistake to mention "active" in regards to the FA market and have the fans expect something. When you think about it, you can be "active" just by kicking tires and not sign anyone. I can say i am going shopping, look around and not come home with anything. It's double talk. If anyone thinks Lamoriello is going to go out and outspend anyone else for a player in this market is dreaming. He can say "well, we tried. We said we'd be active and the player chose this and the price was that..blah blah blah and we didn't get the player." 

To me, it's just created more conversation then his usual talk. Of course he'll be "active" and try but if anyone thinks he'll be going out and adding 2-3 FA additions with a newfound wealth, i am not sure they should be hitting F5 all day tommorow.

if we TRADE for Gionta im gonna be a bit pissed. Sign him cheap when his contract is over fine. But to TRADE and send something to mtl for him... no....

We have 725 defensemen. If they're willing to take Volchenkov or Tallinder or someone like that I have no problem with it.

Alain Sanscartier reported that Brière would have choose MTL already and terms would be 8m for 2 years.

Not sure how true this is but he's usually legit. Other sources are saying nothing is done. who knows

It's on yahoo, briere to Montreal