It's time, Who gets fired?

LucifersDog

Why do you feel the devils won a cup they shouldn't in 03?  was it the Senators series?  They definitely pulled out a miracle win in game 7, but don't forget they blew a 3-1 lead in that series to even get to game 7  (I do agree they should have won in 2001)

IMO I think the 2002-03 Devils on paper were the least talented team up-front to win the cup in the last 20 years.  They wont it because of goaltending, defense and the fact that Elias, Gomez, Friesen, Niedermayer and Langenbrunner played out of thier minds and were on hot-streaks.  It really was a perfect storm and timing that they won it and not all that dissimilar to the run they had last year, but with a different final result.

I wasn't comparing any eras I was pretty much talking about the 95-03 era they had and just pretty much bringing up some things about Lou I didn't like (agreeing with one of the other members that mentioned he let John Madden go too soon, there has just been to much of that from Lou over the years and this year is another example of Sykora having a solid year last year not being brought back).  You make a good point about Niedermayer, but to me it's more than a coincidence that the devils won in 95 and 2000 with him and the Avs won in 96 with Claude while the devils missed the playoffs in 96 and then played poorly as a 1 seed three straight years in 97-99.  They would have won more if they kept him those years

How you compare eras over different owners and financial situations astound me.    Also, Lou tried to get Rob Niedermayer but Burke knew the deal and then used that as leverage when Nieds hit the market.     

'01 went to game 7...  it's a toss up.   If we won that  ~1~ game (after we already won 3 against them), your arguement disapears?    Yet, that's such a bad Lou mistake?

The A Line had problems... and Lou got the best return he could...  bringinging us our '03 cup with Langenbrunner, Niewendyk, Friesen...

I wasn't comparing any eras I was pretty much talking about the 95-03 era they had and just pretty much bringing up some things about Lou I didn't like (agreeing with one of the other members that mentioned he let John Madden go too soon, there has just been to much of that from Lou over the years and this year is another example of Sykora having a solid year last year not being brought back).  You make a good point about Niedermayer, but to me it's more than a coincidence that the devils won in 95 and 2000 with him and the Avs won in 96 with Claude while the devils missed the playoffs in 96 and then played poorly as a 1 seed three straight years in 97-99.  They would have won more if they kept him those years

Sorry but I find that quite a stretch if you think they weren't more successful in the playoffs between 95 and 2000 all because of 1 player leaving.

they weren't as stacked as 2000 or 2001, but they still had some big pieces from those teams.  You are right about all of those players being huge during that run.  It's still a crime not one of those guys got the conn smyth in 2003.  But for me they still had a lot of that championship atmosphere around them after a very disappointing 2002.  Last year completely came out of nowhere and I agree with you about last year, but 03 was still part of that special run they had for awhile.

IMO I think the 2002-03 Devils on paper were the least talented team up-front to win the cup in the last 20 years.  They wont it because of goaltending, defense and the fact that Elias, Gomez, Friesen, Niedermayer and Langenbrunner played out of thier minds and were on hot-streaks.  It really was a perfect storm and timing that they won it and not all that dissimilar to the run they had last year, but with a different final result.

that's fine man, to each their own my friend.  But I still think he made that kind of a difference and it hurt the team a lot in 96-99 not having him and the devils winning in 95 and 2000 with him and the avs winning in 96 with him show that.  He was a big game player

Sorry but I find that quite a stretch if you think they weren't more successful in the playoffs between 95 and 2000 all because of 1 player leaving.

they weren't as stacked as 2000 or 2001, but they still had some big pieces from those teams.  You are right about all of those players being huge during that run.  It's still a crime not one of those guys got the conn smyth in 2003.  But for me they still had a lot of that championship atmosphere around them after a very disappointing 2002.  Last year completely came out of nowhere and I agree with you about last year, but 03 was still part of that special run they had for awhile.

Oh 2003 was definitely special and it was at the very least partially born out of the disappointments of 2002 and the moves Lou made.  While the defense and goaltending remained the same as the previous three years, the forward group was not especially intimidating that year.  Hell our best scorer Elias only had 28 goals and 57 points that year!

I know you are joking about Chico which is funny, but I think he's been fair.  He's been critical of the Devils the last few games I caught.  On Monday I thought he was critical of their play.  I didn't see yesterday's game so I don't know how he was there

So back to who gets fired... since this topic went way off of that subject... i would go with Chico. He's turning into such a homer and it's killing this team, but seriously, we are in a slump.  Hopefully, we get out of it tomorrow when im at the Rock

I agree about 02 spurring some big changes in 03, good pts there

Oh 2003 was definitely special and it was at the very least partially born out of the disappointments of 2002 and the moves Lou made.  While the defense and goaltending remained the same as the previous three years, the forward group was not especially intimidating that year.  Hell our best scorer Elias only had 28 goals and 57 points that year!

which is ironic looking back on it since Gomez left anyway.  But at the time you can't make that trade because of how young gomez was and how much potential he had.  He was a real good player for the devils back then.  thanks for the insight

Lou tried to trade for Rob when Scott was a Devil. Burke wouldn't deal him except for Gomez.

I know you are joking about Chico which is funny, but I think he's been fair.  He's been critical of the Devils the last few games I caught.  On Monday I thought he was critical of their play.  I didn't see yesterday's game so I don't know how he was there

Yeah, i love Chico, don't get me wrong, but when we were winning he spoke of the team like we could do no wrong and spoke of the other team's poor stats (ex. when winnipeg didnt score a powerplay goal in the past 22 chances, and they were on the pp, they were having difficulty getting into our zone so he started laughing at how abysmal it was, then he mentioned the stat, they skated right through the zone and scored) and for the most part, he's been talking about certain calls without actually seeing the call.  Zidlicky will take an obvious penalty and he'll say "no way! he didn't trip staal!" and then when the replay comes up its obviously a trip.  It gets annoying sometimes cause when i play sports i know when i do something wrong and when i dont so it makes me mad when a commentator doesnt just own up and call the game right.  In conclusion, i want doc back

I wasn't comparing any eras I was pretty much talking about the 95-03 era they had and just pretty much bringing up some things about Lou I didn't like

But... you did:  "and then you give all this money to Zajak and Salvador while letting guys like Claude Lemieux, Niedermayer, sykora, Mogilny go over the years."

I agree about 02 spurring some big changes in 03, good pts there

which is ironic looking back on it since Gomez left anyway.  But at the time you can't make that trade because of how young gomez was and how much potential he had.  He was a real good player for the devils back then.  thanks for the insight

Oh c'mon...    you're just being goofy now.   To even consider a Gomez/R Nieds swap back then was ludacrious.    Even the years after that.  (Gomez put up decent pts at first in NY)

It would be great to have Doc back.  And to be honest I didn't always like him as an announcer, but he grew on me over the years.  I didn't have cable back in the early 90's so every Devils game I listened to on the radio up until 95 when I got satellite (perfect time too got to see all the playoff games in the 95 run and since).  so the only games I could watch on tv were the Flyers on channel 17.  and I loved hockey so much I would watch all of the Flyers road games on 17 to watch hockey (if the devils weren't playing that night).  anyway, Doc did those flyers games in the early 90's, he was their announcer, so the first time I saw him do a devils game in 93 I was shocked they had the Flyers announcer, so it took awhile before I started to like him.

I've always thought Gary Thorne had the best announcing voice for hockey and I prefer him (it's great hearing him call some of the plays during 2000, 2001 and 2003).  He's my favorite still, but Doc has grown on me a lot to be my 2nd favorite

I understand your points about Chico (but I have heard him also say that they shouldn't have called a penalty on the other team as well in some of the games).  your pt about the Jets game ( I was so mad when they brought that up, I thought we were doomed and like you said they scored then.  I hate that when it feels like your team is being set up to get burned against something that hasn't happened in awhile)

Yeah, i love Chico, don't get me wrong, but when we were winning he spoke of the team like we could do no wrong and spoke of the other team's poor stats (ex. when winnipeg didnt score a powerplay goal in the past 22 chances, and they were on the pp, they were having difficulty getting into our zone so he started laughing at how abysmal it was, then he mentioned the stat, they skated right through the zone and scored) and for the most part, he's been talking about certain calls without actually seeing the call.  Zidlicky will take an obvious penalty and he'll say "no way! he didn't trip staal!" and then when the replay comes up its obviously a trip.  It gets annoying sometimes cause when i play sports i know when i do something wrong and when i dont so it makes me mad when a commentator doesnt just own up and call the game right.  In conclusion, i want doc back

What are you talking about, I said you can't make that trade.  I just said it's ironic because he left anyway (that one wasn't on Lou for Gomez) just ironic that's all.

Oh c'mon...    you're just being goofy now.   To even consider a Gomez/R Nieds swap back then was ludacrious.    Even the years after that.  (Gomez put up decent pts at first in NY)

It would be great to have Doc back.  And to be honest I didn't always like him as an announcer, but he grew on me over the years.  I didn't have cable back in the early 90's so every Devils game I listened to on the radio up until 95 when I got satellite (perfect time too got to see all the playoff games in the 95 run and since).  so the only games I could watch on tv were the Flyers on channel 17.  and I loved hockey so much I would watch all of the Flyers road games on 17 to watch hockey (if the devils weren't playing that night).  anyway, Doc did those flyers games in the early 90's, he was their announcer, so the first time I saw him do a devils game in 93 I was shocked they had the Flyers announcer, so it took awhile before I started to like him.

I've always thought Gary Thorne had the best announcing voice for hockey and I prefer him (it's great hearing him call some of the plays during 2000, 2001 and 2003).  He's my favorite still, but Doc has grown on me a lot to be my 2nd favorite

I understand your points about Chico (but I have heard him also say that they shouldn't have called a penalty on the other team as well in some of the games).  your pt about the Jets game ( I was so mad when they brought that up, I thought we were doomed and like you said they scored then.  I hate that when it feels like your team is being set up to get burned against something that hasn't happened in awhile)

Yeah Gary Thorne is pretty good, but since i'm a young guy, my years have been mostly with Doc so i'm a bit biased towards him.  And Chico does call the other team's penalties off sometimes so good point there, but i feel like he burns us more often.  It's terrible, cause i feel like he says something really wrong and then i know we are gonna get screwed... and then the puck's in the back of our net

To your last point, the point you made about the Jets powerplay is a case and pt about him burning our team, that's definitely the best example which you made earlier.

If you ever get to watch an old game from the 2000, 2001 or 2003 cup you'll get an appreciation for Thorne.  He's just awesome, the best hockey announcer I ever heard!  Doc is great, but I wish Thorne would do the national games instead like he did back then.

Yeah Gary Thorne is pretty good, but since i'm a young guy, my years have been mostly with Doc so i'm a bit biased towards him.  And Chico does call the other team's penalties off sometimes so good point there, but i feel like he burns us more often.  It's terrible, cause i feel like he says something really wrong and then i know we are gonna get screwed... and then the puck's in the back of our net

Gary Thorne is one of the worst. The guy cannot stay neutral and the way he was rooting for the avalanche in 2001 and the ducks and anyone else playing the devils in 2003 was downright disgusting. He called every one of their goals like it was the best play he has ever seen while every devils goal was called as if someone just killed his dog. I'll take doc over him a million times over

This thread reminds me of roughly 1000 threads from 2010-2011. You know, the ones where a bunch of people on the Internet know more than one of the most successful GMs in the last 25 years. Good stuff.

By the way, Sykora is so good that not one NHL team signed him.

As for crapping on Lou for the team losing in game 7 of the 2001 finals... Just wow.

I'll have to go back and listen but I always felt he sounded pretty excited for the Devils especially against the Stars in 2000.  Doc has grown on me a lot over the years.  I do hope they continue to have him do the ceremonies when they retire jersey's, etc.  (I have a feeling he'll make sure to be there for #30)

Gary Thorne is one of the worst. The guy cannot stay neutral and the way he was rooting for the avalanche in 2001 and the ducks and anyone else playing the devils in 2003 was downright disgusting. He called every one of their goals like it was the best play he has ever seen while every devils goal was called as if someone just killed his dog. I'll take doc over him a million times over

I'll have to go back and listen but I always felt he sounded pretty excited for the Devils especially against the Stars in 2000.  Doc has grown on me a lot over the years.  I do hope they continue to have him do the ceremonies when they retire jersey's, etc.  (I have a feeling he'll make sure to be there for #30)

Listen to this:

I have never heard an announcer wanting a goal not to count so badly

Edited by DevsMan84

I was surprised the way he shouted no, but I think he was thrown off by the goal light not going off.  From this voice I thought he sounded excited they scored a goal.  and I remember after that ducks series he raved about their run and called them a dynasty.  and during the dallas series I never felt like he seemed disappointed at all about the devils winning.  I don't think he has anything against the devils from when I've heard him in the past.

I do understand why most on here prefer Doc Emrick, he will always be known as the devils announcer

Listen to this:

I have never heard an announcer wanting a goal not to count so badly