Kenny Agostino

MadDog2020

Hate to say it, but there is no community pride in the State of NJ. Feel like this has something to do with it. I dont really subscribe to the economic status theory though. Like Devsman said, a lot of it has to do with the parents passing down their idiocy to their kids. A bunch of my friends became Rags fans that way.

#booKenny

I'm not too sure about that. NJ is a tricky area. I think on one end there is total disregard for state pride and NYC wannabes but on the other end, there is obnoxious, obsessive pride about NJ.

Maybe it's just being from the area, but I really think Monmouth/Ocean is FULL of state pride. Think of things like Benny Go Home and such. I'm never against my fellow Jersian Devils proud fans, I also felt like the true definition of a Benny was something like a ranger fan tool who grows up in NJ

I'm not too sure about that. NJ is a tricky area. I think on one end there is total disregard for state pride and NYC wannabes but on the other end, there is obnoxious, obsessive pride about NJ.

Maybe it's just being from the area, but I really think Monmouth/Ocean is FULL of state pride. Think of things like Benny Go Home and such. I'm never against my fellow Jersian Devils proud fans, I also felt like the true definition of a Benny was something like a ranger fan tool who grows up in NJ

When my family rented at the Shore for Summers, we had those types of neighbors who wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. They looked at anyone who didn't live there all year as Bennies. Didn't matter if we were as quiet as can be or from North Jersey. To them, you might as well been from NY. After Sandy, that changed a bit. Well, a whole lot. They are more then happy to take your money, smile at you, call you a "friend" all for the sake of rebuilding, you know?

Florida residents are the same way with their "Snow Bird" monikers.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I hate the Benny Go Home stuff. I mean the shore belongs to ALL of us. And plenty of northern suburbanites pumped money into saving the shore post hurricane. We all love those spots. It doesn't just belong to the people who live near it.

I hate to say this but I think a lot of it is socio-economic level.  A lot of these kids making it in the NHL are from pretty well-to-do families and at least in my experiences a lot of them tend to be Rags fans.

I grew up and lived in Warren Twp in Somerset County (which is a pretty rich town) for over 20 years and I remember there being about a 60/40 split between Rags and Devils fans in my high school.  Most of the Rags fans are fans of them for 2 reasons; 1) because their families were Rags fans for years or 2) they had "New York" in their name.

Disagree.  100%

I grew up in Mendham, NJ (yes, that Mendham) and MANY of the fans out there are Devils fans...including those who went to Delbarton.

It has 0 to do with socio-economic status (what a dumb thing to say) and more to do with whether your parents/dad/uncles watched hockey growing up; if so, then you are more likely to be a Rangers fan.  If you started liking hockey as a kid (I am 28 now) and your dad was not as into hockey, Devils were the new team in town, the easier ticket to get, the closer arena to go to, etc. 

I have "less well off" friends who are Rangers fans (in fact, most Ranger fans were less wealthy in my experience) and "wealthy" friends who have been Devils STH since 1990.  

Lastly, Flanders is hardly a "nice area"...so one has nothing to do with the other.

Makes no sense, sorry.

You nailed it, 100%. I'm really not sure how it worked out this way but the more well-to-do the family is, the more likely they are Rangers fans around here; something I've noticed as well.

It's possible Steve Santini was another one of them! Maybe Bobby Ryan too, showing up drunk on one of those Flyers fan busses on weekend gamedays!

No one will, but I will get people to boo him, keep your ears peeled when you see him touch the puck  :thumbsup:

Santini's whole family is Ranger fans.  Nothing to do with their "socio-economic" status.  Sure, they own a rink and a team up in Westchester, but they are hardly hoighty toighty types. See: his cousin from NJ.  Rough, rugged, blue collar type family.  Rangers fans.

Next question...

Sorry I need to vent here

Have ANY of these young NJ kids in the NHL grown up rooting for the Devils? Because I don't know of a single one. Kenny F'n Agostino grew up in the heart of Devils country, he had Leetch and Messier and Richter posters on his wall? How many fvcking games did he see any of those guys play in their prime?

The answer is ZERO. He only saw shadows of them. When Kenny Agostino came of age Messier was a Canuck. He has no recollection of a Rangers cup win and his first memories of the Rags in the playoffs was 2006 when he was already 14. Did you enjoy that one Kenny?

Ever wonder who those douche kids in Rags gear are when the Devils were playing the Panthers in mid november at CAA? Kenny Agostino was one of 'em.

His earliest hockey memories are Devils winning the division, conference, and Stanley Cup. Yet he still rooted for the blue turds in their dim urine soaked hell hole in the late 90's early 2000's.

Part of me blames Lou for his absolute contempt of marketing during that time period. But kids like this should've never been lost to the Rags, even if they grew up in Rag families.

Yeah screw this kid. great hes reppin from Jersey, but to be such a poser Rags fan/so anti-devils... he can be permanently sent down to the minors for life for all i care.

Disagree.  100%

I grew up in Mendham, NJ (yes, that Mendham) and MANY of the fans out there are Devils fans...including those who went to Delbarton.

It has 0 to do with socio-economic status (what a dumb thing to say) and more to do with whether your parents/dad/uncles watched hockey growing up; if so, then you are more likely to be a Rangers fan.  If you started liking hockey as a kid (I am 28 now) and your dad was not as into hockey, Devils were the new team in town, the easier ticket to get, the closer arena to go to, etc. 

I have "less well off" friends who are Rangers fans (in fact, most Ranger fans were less wealthy in my experience) and "wealthy" friends who have been Devils STH since 1990.  

Lastly, Flanders is hardly a "nice area"...so one has nothing to do with the other.

Makes no sense, sorry.

Parents have some influence, but not a lot.  I didn't say socio-economics are 100% of the reason, but I do see a trend with it.  Again, doesn't mean all Devils fans are blue-collar and all Rags fans are white-collar.

My Dad and I got to be Devils fans at about the same time as he got free tickets from his business partner to a Devils game.  A good chunk of my extended family were Rangers fan including the biggest hockey fan in my family, my uncle.  My brother was even a Rags fan too yet I became a Devils fan along with my Dad.  So like my theory and my observations family does indeed influence, but it is not the reason 100% of the time.

So please stop putting words in my mouth and taking my generalized theory as some iron-clad overall statement.  Hell I even got a person who sees the same thing I did before you even posted so I am not alone.

You nailed it, 100%. I'm really not sure how it worked out this way but the more well-to-do the family is, the more likely they are Rangers fans around here; something I've noticed as well.

Probably because a lot of those people are living in an alternate reality

Thats why Devils fan John Carlson is alright by me :thumbsup:

Santini's whole family is Ranger fans.  Nothing to do with their "socio-economic" status.  Sure, they own a rink and a team up in Westchester, but they are hardly hoighty toighty types. See: his cousin from NJ.  Rough, rugged, blue collar type family.  Rangers fans.

Next question...

Edit: Nevermind

Edited by DevsMan84

Parents have some influence, but not a lot.  I didn't say socio-economics are 100% of the reason, but I do see a trend with it.  Again, doesn't mean all Devils fans are blue-collar and all Rags fans are white-collar.

My Dad and I got to be Devils fans at about the same time as he got free tickets from his business partner to a Devils game.  A good chunk of my extended family were Rangers fan including the biggest hockey fan in my family, my uncle.  My brother was even a Rags fan too yet I became a Devils fan along with my Dad.  So like my theory and my observations family does indeed influence, but it is not the reason 100% of the time.

So please stop putting words in my mouth and taking my generalized theory as some iron-clad overall statement.  Hell I even got a person who sees the same thing I did before you even posted so I am not alone.

Fair enough.  One way or the other: Rangers/Devils divide has ZERO to do with economics.

More with family and convenience.

Yeah because anyone can own a rink and a team :giggle:

My God your post is almost like a classic MB post.

Listen, I am not going to get into details and economics...but take my word for it, this isn't your average "well off" family.  Just trust me on this one.

I think RedStorm has the best answer here, believe me I would love nothing more than to be a Yankee fan, my life would be so much easier and when all is said and done id probably add a few years onto my life expectancy due to lower stress, but my dad is a diehard met fan, so no matter how hard I tried to follow my friends on the late 90's bandwagon, I was born a met fan and will die as one.

It's not necessarily socio-economic -  well, perhaps more socio than economic, at least - the Rangers are the status team in the area and always will be.  The Devils will never play in Manhattan and they will never have the 'tradition' the Rangers do. 

I agree it is mostly this as well as kids inheriting their allegiances from their parents.  I was in Cub Scouts as a kid and we went to Devils games once or twice a year.  We all rooted for the Devils, but by the time we got to probably fourth or fifth grade when suddenly everyone had to try to be cool, many decided they were now Rangers fans.  They are just the more glamorous choice.  Not to mention that since NJ lacks other pro sports teams, it's not hard for people to root for a New York team in the NHL when they already root for New York teams in every other sport.

I don't think socioeconomic status has much to do with it, there are plenty of affluent Devils fans.

Another good example: The most popular thing to do in NJ---be a Giants fan.  Guaranteed 90-95% of the people on here are Giants fans...proud ones, at that.  And there is even a good history of some socioeconomic ribbing between the "wine and cheese" Giants fans  and the more blue collar, rough, rowdy Jets fans. 

My dad (not a sports fan back then, not an athlete by any means) put our name on the lists for Jets and Giants tickets back in 1985 when I was born with my uncle.  In 1988, our name came up first in the Jets lottery (or whatever system was used) and we have had season Jets tickets since 1988.  Had little to do with economics or even my dad's allegiance one way or the other--just so happens it was/is easier to get Jets tickets than Giants tickets and we have been die hard Jets fans ever since.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I find this argument very interesting.

I'm of the personal opinion that the Rangers fans in north/central Jersey phenomenon, at least among fans in their late 20s and younger, has to do with New York being (IMO) the most important city in the U.S.  "New York" has a lot more cache associated with it than "New Jersey", and I'm guessing there are many people from north and central Jersey who psychologically think of themselves as being from the New York area rather than being from New Jersey.  Having "New York" teams playing in New Jersey doesn't help matters in that regard IMO.  Incidentally, I think that psychological association I mentioned above is also true in south Jersey with Philadelphia.

I kind of wish the Devils made a push into south jersey as well. I mean it IS still NJ, and though you can't really expect most of those people to go to games it's not really a good idea to just write off an entire region like that to the Flyers.

One of the tough things for the Devils in south Jersey is that the Flyers, more than any other major league pro sports team in Philadelphia, really have cultivated their ties with south Jersey.  That connection predates the Devils coming to north Jersey.  The Flyers have long had their practice facility in Voorhees, and many ex-Flyers, particularly from Broad Street Bullies era, settled in south Jersey during and/or after their playing careers.

I'm originally from eastern Pennsylvania/Lehigh Valley (and admittedly like to make fun of New Jersey sometimes, but will also defend the state when people from not near New Jersey put it down), so my perspective is from a non-native, but I think the above is pretty accurate.  My impression is that New Jersey natives either associate more with New York (north Jersey) or Philadelphia (south Jersey) than with the state itself, or they have unusually strong state pride, probably in part because of the ribbing it gets from nearby non-NJ natives, and probably in part because of the many people who think less in terms of New Jersey and more in terms of being from "the New York area" or "the Philadelphia area".

On a slightly related note to this discussion, I strongly believe Rutgers University would benefit from changing its name to New Jersey State University or the University of New Jersey.  Such a name change would, IMO, strengthen New Jersey natives' association and connection with New Jersey relative to feeling connected to New York or Philadelphia.  (Yes, I know having "New Jersey" in its name hasn't entirely solved that problem for the Devils, but I think that's because there are competing teams in the New York and Philadelphia areas.  With college sports, no other school in the state would truly rival Rutgers New Jersey State in popularity.)

Another good example: The most popular thing to do in NJ---be a Giants fan.  Guaranteed 90-95% of the people on here are Giants fans...proud ones, at that.  And there is even a good history of some socioeconomic ribbing between the "wine and cheese" Giants fans  and the more blue collar, rough, rowdy Jets fans. 

My dad (not a sports fan back then, not an athlete by any means) put our name on the lists for Jets and Giants tickets back in 1985 when I was born with my uncle.  In 1988, our name came up first in the Jets lottery (or whatever system was used) and we have had season Jets tickets since 1988.  Had little to do with economics or even my dad's allegiance one way or the other--just so happens it was/is easier to get Jets tickets than Giants tickets and we have been die hard Jets fans ever since.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I find this argument very interesting.

There is a Jets thread on this board but no Giants thread

the majority of football fans in NJ are giants fans but it's nowhere near 90%. Prob 60-40

I think the wine and cheese giants fans thing came from the Connecticut blue blood Giants fan base that went up into most of NE even when the Patriots came into existence. I never really see it among NY and NJ Giants fans.

and nowadays you can get season tickets for both teams quite easily since they built that disastrous generic metlife stadium

Edited by '7'

I think RedStorm has the best answer here, believe me I would love nothing more than to be a Yankee fan, my life would be so much easier and when all is said and done id probably add a few years onto my life expectancy due to lower stress, but my dad is a diehard met fan, so no matter how hard I tried to follow my friends on the late 90's bandwagon, I was born a met fan and will die as one.

I think parents' sports fan affiliations play a role, but I think more broadly the biggest factor is exposure.  My father, who grew up in northeastern PA, is a Yankees and Giants fan (though he does root for the Phillies in the National League).  He wasn't someone who often attended games however, at least after I was born.  By contrast, I grew up in the Lehigh Valley, which is in the Philadelphia TV market.  I was much more exposed to the Phillies and Eagles than I was the Yankees and Giants when I was young (though we did occasionally watch the Yankees on Channel 11), and when I first started becoming aware of sports, roughly around 1980, both the Phillies and Eagles were very good.  Additionally, to his credit my father never tried to force me to root for a certain team (something I would say regardless of which teams I ended up rooting for).  As a result, I became a Phillies and Eagles fan.

(Incidentally, to finish the line of thought above, my father never paid much attention to hockey, and neither did I when I was young, at least compared to baseball, football, and basketball.  I casually paid attention to the Flyers in the 1980s, but it was not at the level I paid attention to the Eagles, Phillies, and 76ers; I watched very little hockey and followed the sport more through reading about it.  Additionally, I had an attraction to scrappy underdog teams on their way up, namely the Penguins - located in PA - and Devils - located less than 100 miles away.  As time went on I became more interested in both the Penguins and Devils, and after I went to college in central PA in the early 1990s and got exposed to idiotic Pittsburgh fans, I focused solely on the Devils.)

I think whatever advantage in fan affiliation the Giants have over the Jets in New Jersey is related to 1) the Giants having been around 35 years longer, 2) Yankee Stadium being easier to get to from New Jersey than Shea Stadium back in the day, 3) the Giants moving to New Jersey 8 years before the Jets (1976 vs 1984), and 4) the Giants being a more successful franchise over the last 30 years than the Jets.  (The Jets have only been distinctly more successful than the Giants at one time in their history, and that was during the Joe Namath days about 45 years ago.)  I really don't think there is a strong socioeconomic difference between Giants and Jets fans in New Jersey except that older fans (early 60s and older) are much more likely to be Giants fans and are also more likely to be richer (due to having a whole lifetime to accumulate and save money).

Next question...

I'm not calling all Rangers fans (or the Santinis) Rockefeller types, just agreeing with someone else that I've noticed some of the higher end families around me in Hudson/Bergen Counties being Rangers fans. Granted, I wasn't even making the connection between the "theory" and the Santinis, as they live in NY and have every right to be proud Rangers fans without us criticizing them. I was only bringing up the Santinis in the context of joking that he maybe was one of those "kids who comes to the Rock in Rangers jerseys to cheer against the Devils."

But to take a step back a bit, I absolutely subscribe to the socio-economic theory, and hear me out:

It's not really up for debate that playing or being involved in hockey is generally a middle class/upper-middle class sport at the very least, it absolutely is (much like lacrosse, golf, etc.)... So, a family who's spending a ton of money on equipment and putting their kids into a hockey program in the 80s or 90s presumably had that interest or passion for hockey already, right (it's not like little league baseball or soccer where you can just throw your kids into these programs cheaply nowadays, it's an expensive path)? And obviously, most family-age adults in the 80s or early 90s (pre-1995) in New Jersey are prior Rangers fans. So these kids are mostly likely to grow up to be Rangers fans. Not making any monumental conclusions here, I know.

Now let's go to Hudson and Essex Counties and the surrounding areas, and spotlight a Devils fan like me. I played soccer for fun as a kid, very cheap sport. My parents are both immigrants and only really knew soccer. I had no background in hockey until I was 7 and we randomly went to a game with cheap tickets (in 1995). Boom, there it started, I had no prior allegiances. Now, where does the socio-economic debate kick in? Most kids in these two counties, Hudson and Essex (and beyond, even parts of Bergen and Passaic Counties) have the same background as me: immigrant background, no prior interest in hockey at all, mostly middle class or below; I'm not making this stuff up, it's just a simple demographic of this area. Someone from around here lands into hockey fandom by way of the New Jersey Devils being your local team, moreso now with the arena being in Newark and accessible by public transportation.

It's not a cut-and-dry black-or-white thing, obviously, but there is some truth to there being a slight socio-economic shift in the fanbases. Trust me when I say there's way more racial diversity in the people wearing Devils jerseys than there is with the people wearing Rangers jerseys, and it's clearly visible if you've been to your share of NY-NJ games. KEEP IN MIND, I'M TALKING ABOUT NEW JERSEY-BASED RANGERS FANS vs. NEW JERSEY DEVILS FANS, not all Rangers fans.

Edited by DJ Eco

for most people its all about the family, you grow up and your dad is feeding you what to like, i see a bunch of my buddies posting pictures of their babies with Habs gears on already and thats all they'll watch. If thats all you know and that you grow through that, what else can you do. Plus since Rangers are an original 6 well they have way more roots

But i guess there's always exceptions, i am one. My dad was a nordique fan and my sister was a Bruins fan. So i hated Sakic just cause it was my dad's fav player. And i was a goalie when i saw Brodeur drafted and he was french and from Quebec which again was all i knew since i was getting sport channels from quebec so that was that for me and why im a Devils fan.

I'm not calling all Rangers fans (or the Santinis) Rockefeller types, just agreeing with someone else that I've noticed some of the higher end families around me in Hudson/Bergen Counties being Rangers fans. Granted, I wasn't even making the connection between the "theory" and the Santinis, as they live in NY and have every right to be proud Rangers fans without us criticizing them. I was only bringing up the Santinis in the context of joking that he maybe was one of those "kids who comes to the Rock in Rangers jerseys to cheer against the Devils."

But to take a step back a bit, I absolutely subscribe to the socio-economic theory, and hear me out:

It's not really up for debate that playing or being involved in hockey is generally a middle class/upper-middle class sport at the very least, it absolutely is (much like lacrosse, golf, etc.)... So, a family who's spending a ton of money on equipment and putting their kids into a hockey program in the 80s or 90s presumably had that interest or passion for hockey already, right (it's not like little league baseball or soccer where you can just throw your kids into these programs cheaply nowadays, it's an expensive path)? And obviously, most family-age adults in the 80s or early 90s (pre-1995) in New Jersey are prior Rangers fans. So these kids are mostly likely to grow up to be Rangers fans. Not making any monumental conclusions here, I know.

Now let's go to Hudson and Essex Counties and the surrounding areas, and spotlight a Devils fan like me. I played soccer for fun as a kid, very cheap sport. My parents are both immigrants and only really knew soccer. I had no background in hockey until I was 7 and we randomly went to a game with cheap tickets (in 1995). Boom, there it started, I had no prior allegiances. Now, where does the socio-economic debate kick in? Most kids in these two counties, Hudson and Essex (and beyond, even parts of Bergen and Passaic Counties) have the same background as me: immigrant background, no prior interest in hockey at all, mostly middle class or below; I'm not making this stuff up, it's just a simple demographic of this area. Someone from around here lands into hockey fandom by way of the New Jersey Devils being your local team, moreso now with the arena being in Newark and accessible by public transportation.

It's not a cut-and-dry black-or-white thing, obviously, but there is some truth to there being a slight socio-economic shift in the fanbases. Trust me when I say there's way more racial diversity in the people wearing Devils jerseys than there is with the people wearing Rangers jerseys, and it's clearly visible if you've been to your share of NY-NJ games. KEEP IN MIND, I'M TALKING ABOUT NEW JERSEY-BASED RANGERS FANS vs. NEW JERSEY DEVILS FANS, not all Rangers fans.

Interesting take.  

However, in my area (Morris County) centered around Mennen Arena and those youth teams, I noticed the EXACT opposite with Devils vs. Rangers fans.  That being said, we have all proven the point here that there is no good linear argument where you can say "Rangers fans are...." and "Devils fans are....", it just does not work based on all of our experiences and the areas we are from.  Shows you just how diverse NJ actually is from one town, to county, to area to the next...

Interesting take.  

However, in my area (Morris County) centered around Mennen Arena and those youth teams, I noticed the EXACT opposite with Devils vs. Rangers fans.

And I get that. A lot of things have changed. A "bandwagon Devils fan" who was 18 years old in 1995 is 37 now, probably has a family already haha... I totally agree that tides have probably shifted (and are shifting) and the lines are blurry now. Regardless, we'll have more and more Devils fans coming into the picture in 5, 10, 15 years from now. It's simple generational hockey fandom playing out. I'm still only 27 now and my friends and I are now starting to get season tickets en masse. We "go to games with our girlfriends" and who knows, in 5-10 years, we're "going to games with our kids".

The 2012 playoff run and the Yankee Stadium game (where, honestly, we might have slightly outnumbered Rangers fans) are examples of the younger 20-25 fanbase that will grow up very soon and do what I did 3 years ago when I found employment (start buying season tickets). We're not "losing fans" anytime soon.

Edited by DJ Eco

My mother worked at MSG in the 70's. If anyone was likely to become a Rags fan, it was me. My dad wasn't a huge hockey fan, but my mom was a big Ranger fan in the 60's and 70's. The first time I remember seeing a hockey game on TV when I was 6 years old, it was a Ranger game. Sam Rosen was reading out of town scores, and he says 'New Jersey winning over'... whoever, I don't remember who the other team was... I just heard the words 'New Jersey', thinking 'hey that's where I'm from'! and thinking 'this sport is AWESOME and we have a team right here where I'm from?' From that time on, I pestered my parents to take me to a Devils game. They did- and my first ever Devils game was, ironically enough, a loss to the Rangers. I cried. My mom laughed at me (she really did laugh too lol). This was in 1985. Over the years, I have converted my mother into one of the biggest Devils fans (who HATES the Rags now- she still likes her old Rags guys like Gilbert and Hatfield etc, but she has hated the Rags vehemently since the 1992 playoffs) you will ever meet. She's legit. She now loves the Devils and hates the Rags almost as much as I do. I'm proud of myself for that.

Interesting take.  

However, in my area (Morris County) centered around Mennen Arena and those youth teams, I noticed the EXACT opposite with Devils vs. Rangers fans.  That being said, we have all proven the point here that there is no good linear argument where you can say "Rangers fans are...." and "Devils fans are....", it just does not work based on all of our experiences and the areas we are from.  Shows you just how diverse NJ actually is from one town, to county, to area to the next...

For years, Mennen Arena had a advertisement on the boards for the NY Rangers youth hockey program or boosters or something to that extent. That was pretty sad.

Edited by TheRedStorm

The first time I remember seeing a hockey game on TV when I was 6 years old, it was a Ranger game. Sam Rosen was reading out of town scores, and he says 'New Jersey winning over'... whoever, I don't remember who the other team was... I just heard the words 'New Jersey', thinking 'hey that's where I'm from'! and thinking 'this sport is AWESOME and we have a team right here where I'm from?'

You'd think more people would use this kind of common sense, but alas it isn't so. I'll never understand how kids who: 

a) weren't around for '94, b) can't afford tickets to MSG ever, and c) go to The Rock more times a year than they've been to MSG in their lifetimes

can be Rangers fans. I really don't get it, and that's definitely on Lou and his stranglehold on the marketing (or lack thereof) the team.

Edited by DJ Eco