Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

Ever since the Rangers game, Zids appears to be coming into his own. Figured I'd dig this thread up.

I know some people were on the fence about the trade (and most in the hockey community thought we overpaid, I know most of us didn't think so.)

But early on, here's how it stands for the Wild:

Nick Palmieri - 7GP, 0 points, 11 SOG, -2 rating.

Kurtis Foster - 6GP, 0 points, 5 SOG, -2 rating.

Stephane Vellieux - 8 GP, 1 assist, 4 SOG, even rating.

Zidlicky has 9GP, 1G, 4A, 5PTS, 1 GWG, 8 SOG, +2 rating.

I hope he can continue to improve and play as he has since last Tuesday.

Ever since the Rangers game, Zids appears to be coming into his own. Figured I'd dig this thread up.

I know some people were on the fence about the trade (and most in the hockey community thought we overpaid, I know most of us didn't think so.)

But early on, here's how it stands for the Wild:

Nick Palmieri - 7GP, 0 points, 11 SOG, -2 rating.

Kurtis Foster - 6GP, 0 points, 5 SOG, -2 rating.

Stephane Vellieux - 8 GP, 1 assist, 4 SOG, even rating.

Zidlicky has 9GP, 1G, 4A, 5PTS, 1 GWG, 8 SOG, +2 rating.

I hope he can continue to improve and play as he has since last Tuesday.

I'm not sure why people thought the Devils overpaid on that one...Vellieux was never fitting into the Devils' plans, Zidlicky clearly made Foster expendable (and Foster was clearly scary to watch at times), and Palmieri wasn't anything special either. Have the Devils missed any of those guys since they were moved? The $4 million for next season is a little bit of a concern, but Lou decided to go for it, and with the team playing pretty well and Zach's situation being up in the air, I can see why...I think was very a much a "go with the gut" feeling for Lou on that one.

Anyway, he's showing why fans shouldn't immediately write off a deal as being bad because the guy doesn't produce in his first few games. Nine games is still a very small sample size, but at least Zids is showing positives. At any rate, the idea was to get an upgrade over Foster, and it definitely looks like he'll be that for sure.

I think it was Tri who, once he found his groove in NJ, compared Zidlicky's game to Rafalski's. It's a pretty fitting comparison, though Zid doesn't seem to have Rafalski's penchant for giving away a handful of defensive zone turnovers per game. Knock on wood.

Since Zidlicky got his first two practices in, here are some possession numbers.

Devils - 0.526

Devils (tied) - 0.568

Tied:

Parise .578 - Henrique .545 - Kovalchuk .473

Sykora .571 - Elias .522 - Zubrus .628

Ponikarovsky .769 - Josefson .674 - Clarkson .757

Boulton .313 - Carter .500 - Bernier .391 / Janssen .333

Zidlicky .661 - Volchenkov .717

Greene .541 - Fayne .500

Salvador .488 - Larsson .447

Palmieri was sent down to the AHL today, i guess they couldnt try to make it look like a good trade on their side anymore, they gave him a 2nd star at his first game eventho he had no points or anything... but you cant trick the fans for that long i guess haha

Palmieri was sent down to the AHL today, i guess they couldnt try to make it look like a good trade on their side anymore, they gave him a 2nd star at his first game eventho he had no points or anything... but you cant trick the fans for that long i guess haha

Haha wow there's not much to say other than there is no way we didn't make out on that trade

Haha wow there's not much to say other than there is no way we didn't make out on that trade

absolutely... at first i didnt want to act like them and try to convince myself and blindly say that Zids was a god sent like everyone does when there's a trade (that their team got the best of it)... he isnt a god sent of course, but he's been really good once he got used to the system. He's really bringing a LOT more than Foster and he's also bringing some creativity at the blueline which we were lacking of

the price is still stiff a bit but its not a problem for this year since were not having his full cap hit, so we'll see next season