Andy Greene trade options

mouse

The Andy Greene injury has proven that we don't need him (and I've liked Greenie since his rookie campaign). Foster brings a different skill set to the table, and doesn't take that much off. We do need a RW. Tedenby doesn't look ready for the big time. Maybe he's a bust, maybe it's a sophomore slump, maybe he needs some seasoning in Albany, but he's the weakest link in the top 9. Any 2nd-3rd line RWs that we could get for Greene, straight up when Greene gets healthy?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Andy Greene injury has proven that we don't need him (and I've liked Greenie since his rookie campaign). Foster brings a different skill set to the table, and doesn't take that much off. We do need a RW. Tedenby doesn't look ready for the big time. Maybe he's a bust, maybe it's a sophomore slump, maybe he needs some seasoning in Albany, but he's the weakest link in the top 9. Any 2nd-3rd line RWs that we could get for Greene, straight up when Greene gets healthy?

Don't need one - package them for an upgrade on D if possible.

Nobody will be interested in Andy Greene right now. You said it yourself in your first post: he's been injured. It's not even an option until he comes back and plays at least one game anyway, since it's against league rules to trade injured players.

foster scares the hell out of me when he touches the puck anywhere near the net and especially behind the net. he is not comfortable with the puck in our zone. he can't get rid of it fast enough. I'd like to see greene for a few games before we deal him, he was hampered by this toe and was skating like cr@p so its not the best time to deal him in terms of value. when healthy green get the puck out from behind our net faster than any of our D-men

Don't need one - package them for an upgrade on D if possible.

With the demand for d where it's at, I don't see an upgrade being available for that little. Maybe if we package them with a pick and a prospect, but that's too steep for me.

With the demand for d where it's at, I don't see an upgrade being available for that little. Maybe if we package them with a pick and a prospect, but that's too steep for me.

Agreed - I merely meant that our D will need more help than our O going into the playoffs or even next season.

According to the official scorers (for what that's worth), Foster is better than most other current Devil's defensemen in terms of giveaways:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122NJDDADALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Edited by ohms law

I think the question should be what does our D look like with a healthy Andy Greene? I'm guessing we dress 7 D with Greene taking Fosters regular spot and Foster playing PP/SH/4th line occasionally.

That's what I think (and hope, actually) will happen as well.

Besides that, I always notice how much it hurts the whole team's performance any time that pretty much any defenseman takes a penalty, has an equipment problem, or otherwise can't play for any significant amount of time. Dressing 7 defensemen would help that problem significantly.

Plus, there's the fact that it'll take Greene weeks of games (6-8 games), beyond even the weeks that he'll be rehabbing, before he's 95% - 100%. He won't be able to handle 20 minute ice time workloads for a while, no matter what happens.

Edited by ohms law

Not sure why all the Foster hate. I think he's been OK for us so far, and he can put up points, which is in rather rare supply for a Devils defenseman. He's not nearly as bad defensively as some of you imply.

He is horrendous in his own zone. He puts up points because he's on the first power play unit, a unit that's now scoring.

He is horrendous in his own zone. He puts up points because he's on the first power play unit, a unit that's now scoring.

Which started happening when he got there. He's benefited, but IMO he's helped. Not saying he's better than Greene, but he brings something else to the table. I'd rather see him in, which makes Greene movable. Tao or Urbom can play if somebody gets hurt.

Which started happening when he got there. He's benefited, but IMO he's helped. Not saying he's better than Greene, but he brings something else to the table. I'd rather see him in, which makes Greene movable. Tao or Urbom can play if somebody gets hurt.

Yes, he has helped. But I don't think he's good - I think Adam Larsson was horrendous. Slow decisions with the puck and a terrible shot release. Foster has a good release and tends to make quick decisions, but he's not very good at passing and makes the incorrect decision a too high % of the time.

Greene is not movable until at least the off-season - Taormina has what 25 NHL games? And Urbom fewer than that. Urbom was also not good during his callup and I don't think he can be #8 on the depth chart for a playoff team.

I actually think the team has missed Greene.

I disagree that he's "horrendous". He's not the best in the world, but he's good enough for what we ask of him, and certainly good enough to continue playing unless he regresses. And mouse pointed it out that you may have it backwards - the PP may be scoring more because of his contributions, and not vice versa.

I disagree that he's "horrendous". He's not the best in the world, but he's good enough for what we ask of him, and certainly good enough to continue playing unless he regresses. And mouse pointed it out that you may have it backwards - the PP may be scoring more because of his contributions, and not vice versa.

Agreed.

I don't think I have it backwards - I think Foster is okay on the PP. He's clearly better than Larsson and Fayne. But I don't think he's very good, either.

The rest of his career tells us that he's not sufficient in his own zone. Good is not good when better is expected, etc.