French and German papers run Danish Islam cartoons ... Muslims pissed.

MaddDog

The funniest is that the New York Times refused to print the pictures that supposedlly blasphemied (sic?) Muhammad, yet they had no problem with printing pictures of the Virgin Mary with dung onher.....or the "Piss Christ"

Explain that one my liberal friends. Tell me how they aren't anti-Christian?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not anti-Christian, Leeds, it's called "knowing that (most) Christians won't gather in public places, burn down buildings, and kill officials and random passersby over a picture". We know what freedom of the press is, even if we don't necessarily agree with their decisions.

Piss Christ was a minor glitch on the cultural radar that was created by a marginal artist; the same goes for the Mary work. Almost no one would have ever seen or heard of Piss Christ if Rudy Giuliani hadn't lost his ever-loving mind over it. These Danish cartoons, on the other hand, were commissioned by a major right-wing paper looking to cause trouble; it's instructive to note that the same editor who commissioned them turned down a series of cartoons of Jesus because he felt they were offensive to some segments of the Danish population. I can't blame the Times for not printing them because they don't make a satiric, political, or artistic point; they existed, from conception to now, solely to offend people.

The funniest is that the New York Times refused to print the pictures that supposedlly blasphemied (sic?) Muhammad, yet they had no problem with printing pictures of the Virgin Mary with dung onher.....or the "Piss Christ"

Explain that one my liberal friends. Tell me how they aren't anti-Christian?

It's VERY, VERY, VERY simple. There is a passage in the Quran which prohibits ANY drawings of Mohummad - no matter whether it is a positive depiction or negative.

I've read the bible and I don't remember any passage prohibiting drawings of the Virgin Mary - positive or negative.

BTW - my french class went to the Canadian War Museum yesterday. Since there is someone from National Defence in the class, we got the VIP tour and were allowed into special exhibit room - the propaganda room. I thought it was VERY interesting.

We were checking out the posters from WWII, and the guide told us that BOTH sides were guilty of making racist propoganda.

The Italians had posters of a dumb looking stereotype-enhanced (BIG lips) black fighter pilot with the caption "THIS is a liberator?"

But back here in North America, most of our posters contained drawings of Japanese with bad buck teeth, evil squinty eyes with titles like "Harikari isn't the best way to kill the Jap problem".

So printing racist cartoons isn't anything new at all. First, it emboldens the hatred on both sides. Second, usually the reaction to the racism only serves to embolden the hatred on both sides.

The excuses never end.................

...........no wonder we're on the brink of extermination.

You have to hate your enemy to defeat them.

They HATE us, we offer excuses for them.

You have to identify your enemy first - identify that it's not Islam, but Islamic extremism being fomented by economic conditions whose root cause may be xenophobia and years of isolation and domination.

It's possible that 'they' hate 'us'. But as Don is rightly noting, there was tons of propaganda against both sides in WWII. Could you say that Japanese people hate us or that we hate Japanese people now? Another personal anecdote - my grandfather fought in WWII and refers to most Asian people derisively as 'Japs'. At my high school graduation, the person I chose to have my name called with was born in Japan. Propaganda melts away and people forget over time - if they have better things to do. That's why creating economies that are able to function on something other than oil is imperative. This little Iraq experiment, if it works, could spur that in other nations.

So Christians can have their religion disgraced, because we won't riot like savages?

If you want to riot like a savage, go right ahead. It'll make it easier for the rest of us to pick out the ones who should be avoided. As for us, we're civilized folk.

What Cristians are doing this that you allude to?

I was thinking of the so-called "Christians" who have no problem with blowing up abortion clinics and murdering doctors who perform abortions.

Almost no one would have ever seen or heard of Piss Christ if Rudy Giuliani hadn't lost his ever-loving mind over it.

Ding ding ding ding ding! :clap:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.