All MLB Thread

devilsrule33

Buehrle's got a perfect game going through 8 innings for the White Sox against the Rays.

Of course, the free Extra Innings preview is done. :doh1:

Yeah that annoyed me too...until I remembered the MLB Network. Sure enough they had live coverage of the ninth inning (at least) with the Chicago feed :clap:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Roy Halladay is going to be dealt. I still think Philly will get him, IF hes traded that is.. there was some rumor about the Mets having interest with that 1 offer (and fwiw, that deal would have been terrible from a Jays standpoint, I'm sure they could get a MUCH better package than that) but that could have been just to entice the Phils to owe up and make a deal (or it could have just been a false report, which seems to be the indication now)..

I also heard the Cards are interested in Halladay... that would give them a pretty formidable rotation: Halladay, Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse, Pineiro -- jeez, thats 5 pretty damn good starters.. although I think they desperately need an OF'er (Ankiel is having a miserable year) more than they do a starting pitcher. Matt Holliday would be a good pickup for St Louis

edit: and that was a hell of a catch by Wise .. if anyone remembers Jonathan Sanchez's no hitter, Aaron Rowand made a great catch at the wall too. Seems like there is always at least 1 of 2 unbelievable defensive plays in no hitters.

Edited by nmigliore

edit: and that was a hell of a catch by Wise .. if anyone remembers Jonathan Sanchez's no hitter, Aaron Rowand made a great catch at the wall too. Seems like there is always at least 1 of 2 unbelievable defensive plays in no hitters.

Here's an article on just this: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090724&content_id=6028544&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Cardinals acquire Holliday

as i said yesterday, this is exactly what they needed. im not a big holliday fan, i think stats were really inflated in coors field but hes still a nice player and plays great defense.. ill have a trade write up on my blog about it later, i still gotta check out the kids the cards' gave up - the 1 name that pops out is brett wallace though, #2 prospect in the cards' system, and i always liked him and he impressed me with some nice at bats in the Futures Game a few weeks ago.

Edited by nmigliore

heres my blog post on the deal: http://atdiamond.blogspot.com/2009/07/trade-matt-holliday-to-cardinals.html

I thought it was a nice deal for both sides, especially the A's, who I thought got a great return.

Wallace from St. Louis was referred to as an elite hitting prospect by baseball america so they A's probably got more than they would've from the draft picks. And they really need the hitting bad.

I don't know how far away he is, but he's their first really good hitting prospect in awhile and will go well with Cardenas, who they got from Philadelphia last year

Wallace from St. Louis was referred to as an elite hitting prospect by baseball america so they A's probably got more than they would've from the draft picks. And they really need the hitting bad.

yeah i had that in my blog post; if they hung onto Holliday and got draft picks there is no way they would get what they got from the Cardinals. I mean they would be lucky enough if they could get a player of Wallace's caliber, let alone 2 extra prospects that could be very useful.

Wallace shouldn't be very far off at all (from the Bigs).. hes already up to AAA and not showing signs of struggling.. Im still amazed how quickly he moved up the Cards' system considering he was just drafted last year; thats impressive.

I don't know how far away he is, but he's their first really good hitting prospect in awhile and will go well with Cardenas, who they got from Philadelphia last year

yeah i like Cardenas (obviously Philly has no use for SS and 2B prospects), he tore up AA this year hitting .352/.421/.481 with an even 37 BB and strikeouts; wow.. I think he was recently promoted to AAA.. hes still very young too, only 21; its not like he was one of those 24 or 25 year old kids that are in AA and tearing up the league because they are old for the league.

edit: almost forgot about Josh Outman who was part of that same deal.. hes 4-1 with 3.48 ERA in 12 starts for Oakland this year.. and the last kid in that deal, Matt Spencer, has put up nice numbers in A+ and AA.. I'd say the A's made it out pretty well in that Blanton deal.

Edited by nmigliore

Wallace's problem in St. Louis was that he may not have had a proficient position and would be forced to move to 1B/DH in STL, but with Pujols there that wasn't going to happen. In Oakland he's only blocked by Barton if he can't play his normal position due to errors or whatever. It's a good move for him too

Wallace's problem in St. Louis was that he may not have had a proficient position and would be forced to move to 1B/DH in STL, but with Pujols there that wasn't going to happen. In Oakland he's only blocked by Barton if he can't play his normal position due to errors or whatever. It's a good move for him too

I heard that he would play 'just average enough' D at 3B that would let him stick there.. his fielding% at 3B in the minors for 2008 (albeit just 47 games) was .952 which isn't that bad at all. I dont know what his fielding% is this year though, I cant find it.

But still your right, if he cant play 3B he has the option of being a 1B/DH which is something he couldn't do in St. Louis.

Edited by nmigliore

Well perhaps I just watched the final game of Roy Halladay's career in Toronto. And the Jays offense did what they have done to Roy so many times throughout his career in Toronto. Given him no run support. 9 innings (should have been another CG)1 ER, 10 Ks. And he leaves the 9th with the game tied.

Roy has fallen under the radar his entire career. Partly because he played in Toronto and partly because the Jays have never been in playoff contention with him there. But he is truly one of the classiest athletes in sports and one of the hardest working individuals I have seen. I'll let Gary Wise sum up my feelings.

While so many Americans have tried to escape Canada, Halladay has embraced Toronto as his home, the ultimate compliment. After the struggles of his baseball youth, when he blossomed into a Cy Young winner, Roy chose to stay. He understood that he was part of a franchise that needed assistance from its parts for the betterment of the whole. After a 2005 campaign that saw the Jays go 80-82 (despite a 12-4, 2.41 ERA performance from Halladay), he watched as Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi doled out two of the biggest free-agent contracts of the winter to two vastly inferior pitchers: A.J. Burnett (five years, $55 million) and B.J. Ryan (five years, $47 million). That's when Roy Halladay did something remarkable. With the Jays flashing their billfolds, with the baseball economy the healthiest it had ever been, Halladay opted to sign a short, under-market, three-year, $40 million extension in March 2006 that would force him to stay in Canada until 2010
Edited by devilsrule33

Mark Buehrle's incredible run has come to an end, but not before retiring a major league record 45 straight batters. He was perfect tonight through 5 and 2/3 innings before Denard Span singled.

and then imploded and allowed 5 runs and will probably get the loss. Still a remarkable achievement though for someone with that kind of stuff

and then imploded and allowed 5 runs and will probably get the loss. Still a remarkable achievement though for someone with that kind of stuff

The whole thing is a crap shoot. It was a great run, but perfect games and no hitters have so much luck to it. I have seen so many better pitching performances than Buehrle's the other night that had different results. He left a lot of pitches up there and guys crushed some balls that happened to be hit right at players. He also basically threw a pitch that was hit out of the park. Some guys can throw perfect pitches all night and fool players, but the batter just gets a tiny piece of hit and bloops it out past an infielder.

Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco to the Phillies for prospects. Its not 100% done yet, but a deal is agreed. According to mlbtraderumors.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866498/MLB-trade-deadline-buzz:-Wednesday%27s-edition

The Phillies have reached agreement with the Indians on a trade that would bring them left-hander Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to major-league sources.

The deal is pending a review of medical records.

Edited by ghdi

crappy package, looks like an excellent deal for philly to me..

what the hell use does Cleveland have with Marson? Assuming they plan on dumping Shoppach and V-Mart they have Carlos Santana as their future catcher. Donald has yet to make the successful jump from AA to AAA and his age is not really on his side.. Carrasco has yet to prove anything past the AA level as well despite a few successful starts last season, but hes been terrible this year in AAA.. Knapp is the real prize but I dont really like overhyping low A arms.

the Mets could've topped this package with Niese, Tejada, Thole, Beaulac and maybe another A-ball arm I bet.. Niese is more proven than Carrasco.. Tejada has 5 years in age on the over-hyped Donald, Thole is just about equal to Marson (I would give Thole the slight edge), but Knapp is better than Beaulac.. but add in another A-ball arm (Mets have like 4 guys in A-ball pitching well) and that would top it. Not saying I would want to do that, because I probably wouldn't.. just giving a general idea for the mets fans.

Edited by nmigliore

Giants acquire 2B Freddy Sanchez

As expected, the Giants are trying to improve their offense.. first Garko and now Sanchez.. I'm still a bit skeptical though since they aren't adding much power to their lineup (well Garko adds a bit, hes projected to hit about 20 or so homers this year).. Sanchez has an $8M club option next year.. the guy the Pirates got in return was pitching prospect Tim Alderson, who was ranked 4th in the Giants' system coming into this year. The 20-year old Alderson is in AA putting up some solid numbers for his age and has shown nice command (average of ~1.4 BB/9 over A+ and AA this year).. also the Pirates didn't have to pay the Giants any cash to make up for Sanchez's salary which was nice for them. Good deal for both.. the Giants can use their pitching prospects (except their #1 guy Bumgarner) as good trade bait considering their rotation in a few years should look like: Lincecum-Cain-Bumgarner-?-Zito which makes some of these other guys they have been trading (first Scott Barnes, and now Tim Alderson) expendable; and they could always fill that #4 hole with somebody from the minors, from free agency, or whatnot. Pirates are really selling off some guys, and I cant disagree with them.. its about time they got rid of these guys they dont need (Wilson, LaRoche, Sanchez, etc), keep building the farm for the future.

Edited by nmigliore

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366335

Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, lawyers with knowledge of the results told The New York Times.

The two were key members of the Boston Red Sox World Series teams in 2004 and 2007.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I honestly don't care too much about steroids since so many guys all over the league used them - and got away with it, but I do love the fact that it is out that Ortiz used them. I hate that guy and this should shut him up.

Exactly. Whenever a player tested positive, Ortiz was always among the most outspoken when it came to condemning that player. Talk about a big fat talentless pot calling the kettle black.

Plus, the clouds over those 2004 and 2007 titles grow darker and darker...

it's not like it's a surprise though, everyone pretty much assumed that's why he became terrible as soon as the harsher testing took place especially when he was released by Minnesota he was so bad before he suddenly became great with Boston. no big surprise here